ImageImageImage

This was the worst draft I have ever sat through.

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

B Calrissian
Head Coach
And1: 17

Re: This was the worst draft I have ever sat through. 

Post#21 » by B Calrissian » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:00 am

I like this trade (at least Love wasn't pick 3rd). Passing on Jordan was pretty stupid though.
markdeez33
RealGM
And1: 2,192

Post#22 » by markdeez33 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:11 am

Say Goodbye to Mayo, Wolves fans! Say hello to Mike Miller. Atleast you got something. Love/Jefferson tandem is bound to be a disaster.
Ojmayo
Banned User
And1: 30

Post#23 » by Ojmayo » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:32 am

Wolves fans follow Kg and lets us all be Celtic fans as most of us are after Kg left and forget about the timberpups and enjoy the Nba..Forget about the wolves
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#24 » by revprodeji » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:01 am

Calinks3 wrote: We have a sore need for inside help and size and we pass on multiple players that could have given us that.
Will we ever see that European player? I doubt it.

We got inside size and help now. Also we will see the euro. He is a very good player. He would have been mid 1st if not for the contract situation.

theGreatRC wrote:Seattle got Westbrook, which was a bad pick..I laughed when they took him over the likes of Bayless and DJ for a PG.

If you see westbrook and Bayless as both pg bodies w/o pg skills than Westbrook is better due to defense and winning. I always thought Bayless would bust. Another reason to cheer against the Blazers.

AQuintus wrote:
deeney0 wrote:Can you name any 2nd round centers who are rotation players in this league?

Can you name any undersized, unathletic, no-defense, euro Centers who never come to the NBA who are rotation players in the league?
I would much rather take a chance on Jordan turning into a stud, than the off chance that Pekovic actually comes over and the off chance that he ever becomes anything more than an average backup.

Pekovic is far-far-far from an average 2nd rd euro. I assume your "unathletic-undersized-no defense" comments mean you never seen him play? 6'11 and 240 is hardly undersized. He is very physical and mean. Does not play like a euro. He is athletic and strong. Here is a quick comment on him from 18 months ago before he blew up this year.
he is athletic, strong (relies too much on this now won't be able to overpower players as easily in NBA), physical, NBA body for a PF (with no outside game would be a NBA C), explosive dunker (draws alot of fouls but is a poor free throw shooter), plays hard, stays within his limits, likes to run the pick and roll, excels in transition game, moves without the ball good (sets good screens), good hands, mobile, good wingspan, good defender, raw offensively(can score off putbacks, dunks, and his hookshot), needs to develop a midrange jumpshot and be able to create his own shot from short corner. i think pekovic could actually develop into a defensive roleplaying starter in the league the more i have read about him. he should be able to impact an nba game with his athleticism, post defense, and rebounding.

Jordan is Gerald Green. Get over it.

theGreatRC wrote:yup, i'm done with this team

Ojmayo wrote:Wolves fans follow Kg and lets us all be Celtic fans as most of us are after Kg left and forget about the timberpups and enjoy the Nba..Forget about the wolves

Ok, see ya later. Enjoy the bandwagon seats.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 13,956

Post#25 » by shrink » Tue Jul 1, 2008 3:47 pm

deeney0 wrote: Can you name any 2nd round centers who are rotation players in this league?

This question was so interesting, I had to go take a peek. Deeney's right that you see lots of rotation players, particularly swingmen, in the NBA that come from the second round. For centers, its far more bare -- perhaps if a center prospect has size and potential, GM's snap them up in the first round. It seems like a bad move, looking back.

Anyway, I went back and looked over the last 12 years of drafts. "Center" is hard to define, so I'm going to use rotation "big man" because so many big men act as de facto centers in some smaller rotations, particularly in more recent drafts.

Ryan Hollins
Andray Blatche
Anderson Varejao
Zaza Pachulia
Dan Gadzuric
Carlos Boozer
Mehmet Okur
Jaron Collins
Calvin Booth
Jahidi White
Marc Jackson
Mark Blount

I was surprised how few second rounders became useful rotation centers, and even more surprised that the few who do were mostly American players.

What this means for Perovic, I do not know, but I hope we get a chance to find out.
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#26 » by revprodeji » Tue Jul 1, 2008 3:57 pm

Problem with that logic is that Pekovic is not a 2nd rd center for talent. but because of the euro contract issue we have been talking about here for weeks. If someone drafted him in the 1st rd he would never take the pay cut that comes with a 1st rd contract. But this way we can sign him to anything up to the Mid level. That is why (as they said on the draft) pekovic was the for sure 31st pick no matter who had the pick. The kid was a mid-late lotto talent. He was considered equal if not a pinch behind Gallinari as far as euro talent this past year. He is not a project by any means.
http://www.timetoshop.org
Weight management, Sports nutrition and more...
delux55
Sixth Man
And1: 104

Post#27 » by delux55 » Tue Jul 1, 2008 5:30 pm

Yeah alot of Euro scouts and others not te majority but enough think that Pekovic should have been the euro player of the year.
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by revprodeji » Tue Jul 1, 2008 5:50 pm

Yup..he is not a classic euro center. He plays very physical. Almost a thug/prick from what I have seen/heard. Sounds like a great guy to have in our rotation.
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#29 » by deeney0 » Tue Jul 1, 2008 6:14 pm

I don't think anyone's denying his talent, but whether he will come over. Of course McHale says he's going to come over - but saying it and doing it are two different things. We'll see.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,467

Post#30 » by Worm Guts » Tue Jul 1, 2008 6:16 pm

deeney0 wrote:I don't think anyone's denying his talent, but whether he will come over. Of course McHale says he's going to come over - but saying it and doing it are two different things. We'll see.

The Wolves say they've talked to him and he says he'll come over. So that's something.
4ho5ive
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Post#31 » by 4ho5ive » Tue Jul 1, 2008 6:35 pm

2 years is a long time to change your mind.....
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 681

Post#32 » by karch34 » Tue Jul 1, 2008 6:42 pm

Worm Guts wrote:The Wolves say they've talked to him and he says he'll come over. So that's something.

Interesting. Are they saying this year? Either way it would definitely take the full MLE since his contract is like 3 years at $7 million per.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,467

Post#33 » by Worm Guts » Tue Jul 1, 2008 6:46 pm

karch34 wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:The Wolves say they've talked to him and he says he'll come over. So that's something.

Interesting. Are they saying this year? Either way it would definitely take the full MLE since his contract is like 3 years at $7 million per.

No, two years from.
Frozen316
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#34 » by Frozen316 » Tue Jul 1, 2008 10:44 pm

I would have been happier if Stephen A. Smith wasn't demoted to interviewing players.
deeney0
RealGM

Post#35 » by deeney0 » Tue Jul 1, 2008 11:14 pm

Yeah, it's something, but it's just empty words until something comes of it.
mnWI
General Manager
And1: 47

Post#36 » by mnWI » Wed Jul 2, 2008 2:31 am

deeney0 wrote:Can you name any 2nd round centers who are rotation players in this league?

Off the top of my head, Zaza and Okur.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,567

Post#37 » by Klomp » Wed Jul 2, 2008 2:44 am

1997: Marc Jackson, Mark Blount
1999: Francisco Elson
2001: Mehmet Okur, Jarron Collins
2002: Dan Gadzuric
2003: Zaza Pachulia
2004: Anderson Varejao
2005: Andray Blatche
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#38 » by revprodeji » Wed Jul 2, 2008 9:11 pm

Could Pekovic be better than most if not all of those guys? It seems that many said he had late lotto-mid first talent but with the contract situation he had to be a 2nd rd pick.

Jefferson-love-Pekovic 3 man big guy rotation?
deeney0
RealGM

Post#39 » by deeney0 » Wed Jul 2, 2008 9:16 pm

I was talking about DeAndre, not Pekovic - the fact that 50% of the useful centers that came out of the 2nd round recently have been Euros is just another knock against Jordan.
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#40 » by revprodeji » Wed Jul 2, 2008 11:54 pm

oh, yea. The big difference with Jordan and Pekovic is Jordan is a 2nd rd prospect based on lack of desire and production. Where as Pekovic would be a mid-1st rd prospect if only judged on talent, desire and production. But the contract situation and the euro vs dollar and the slot limit of 1st rd picks is the reason he was the clear cut 31st.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves