ImageImageImage

Can Love's rookie impact = Horford's?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

TMo519
Bench Warmer
And1: 25

Re: Can Love's rookie impact = Horford's? 

Post#21 » by TMo519 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:46 pm

Chad Ford gave McHale an "A-" for this draft lol. Kinda funny considering all the vitriol being expressed here, but I think overall the public perception is that McHale did decent in this draft.
TMo519
Bench Warmer
And1: 25

Post#22 » by TMo519 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:47 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
TMo519 wrote:Yes, I would actually say Love is the better athlete.

No

I'm just saying based on numbers. It's on him to play like it. The numbers don't lie.
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#23 » by deeney0 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:51 pm

Yeah, because the public has anti-Mayo hype backlash. Because we were going to get Mayo, we are able to see through the anti-hype. My opinion anyway. I still think he's the closest thing to Kobe since Kobe. If that's the case, even if Love can become half Chris Webber, half Al Horford, with three point range to boot, this is a bad trade.

In videos of Love, it looks like he's got a pathetic vertical, but it measured fine at the combine. I wonder if dropping some body fat had a substantial effect on his leaping.
TrentTuckerForever
Starter
And1: 2

Post#24 » by TrentTuckerForever » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:18 pm

deeney0 wrote:I still think he's the closest thing to Kobe since Kobe.

To quote the immortal Tyler Durden, "Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken."

No doubt Mayo WANTS to be a superstar. Becoming one is something else. Let's just say that I would have bought tickets to see him try, but I'm fine with where we ended up. I think Mayo was a real possibility at #2 because he's a Pat Riley kind of player. Riley knows a little something about personnel,

But Riley didn't take Mayo, because although Mayo walks the superstar walk and talks the superstar talk, Beasley is the better bet to actually become that superstar.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,528

Post#25 » by Worm Guts » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:21 pm

TMo519 wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:
TMo519 wrote:Yes, I would actually say Love is the better athlete.

No

I'm just saying based on numbers. It's on him to play like it. The numbers don't lie.

Combine numbers don't reflect basketball athletic ability. Unless you think Chris Kaman is quicker than TJ Ford.
sheefo13
Junior
And1: 79

Post#26 » by sheefo13 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:29 pm

Horford was in the east. Love has players like Oden, Boozer, Durant, ect just in our division... That is a diverse group of bigs he is gonna have to look at 12 games in a season..
TrentTuckerForever
Starter

Post#27 » by TrentTuckerForever » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:30 pm

Worm Guts wrote:Combine numbers don't reflect basketball athletic ability. Unless you think Chris Kaman is quicker than TJ Ford.

You're saying "basketball athletic ability" is not quantifiable? Just what you can see when a guy plays? Because most of the arguments I've read about Love are based on measurables (not tall enough, not quick enough, etc.) IMO an argument against combine numbers is an argument FOR Love, not against him.
TrentTuckerForever
Starter

Post#28 » by TrentTuckerForever » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:35 pm

sheefo13 wrote:Horford was in the east. Love has players like Oden, Boozer, Durant, ect just in our division... That is a diverse group of bigs he is gonna have to look at 12 games in a season..

Welcome to the Wolves board, sheefo.

Oden's a rookie coming off knee surgery; same questions we have about Love really should apply to him. The Sonics play Durant at the 2/3, so I'm pretty sure Love won't have to deal with him. Love is taller than Boozer and just as strong, so I wouldn't score that matchup as a blowout in favor of Boozer.

Duncan, Shaq (again), and Yao are the matchups I'd worry about. If Love had the same impact that Horford had on ATL, the Wolves would be just under .500, not even close to the playoffs in the West.
DubaLakers
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#29 » by DubaLakers » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:45 pm

I totally understand the coat hangers infatuation with Love, enough to send Mayonaise away. There's is somethign about watching Love play, he is just a special player. He's hard to describe until you have seen him play. He sure doesn't look like he's a special player, he looks like a chubby white kid with a trailer trash beard, but looks are so decieving. Hehe...

Yes Love can have Horford's rookie impact PLUS...For those of you MIN fans that haven't seen this cat play are in for a treat. I'm 39 I've seen a lot of bball, I can't remember being this excited about a player ever. He is so much flipping fun to watch. He's not fast, quick, can't jump out of the gym, but EVERYTHING else he does in spades 10's accross the board.

He's prepared, he's a workhorse, he's a winner, he defends, he's as fundamentally sound a player as I've ever seen, he boards, he outlets like D Rod, he's a brilliant heady player, he can shoot for a big man extrememly well, 3's the whole 9. He's lost 20lbs, his dad was a NBA player, his charisma is infectious. I predict he will be top 10 in jersey sales next year, that's how much charisma he has. He enjoys the game, he will be MIN most beloved player.

And you got Mike Miller one of the most underrated players in the NBA...fantastic trade. UCLA was a 2 man fastbreak Love boards and throws a 3/4 court pass to Westbrook for a layup or dunk all day long.

I'm so jealous, congrats MIN!
east
Veteran
And1: 6
Location: Bklyn Heights, waiting for the Knicks to get good...

Post#30 » by east » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:57 pm

I don't think you'll find footage of Horford doing this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eziogfe5XSI
richboy
RealGM
And1: 2,486

Post#31 » by richboy » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:17 pm

Love has a much better post game than Al Horford. He a better passer with his back to the basket. Love is better than Horford was when drafted and he was a freshman.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,528

Post#32 » by Worm Guts » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:22 pm

TrentTuckerForever wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:Combine numbers don't reflect basketball athletic ability. Unless you think Chris Kaman is quicker than TJ Ford.

You're saying "basketball athletic ability" is not quantifiable? Just what you can see when a guy plays? Because most of the arguments I've read about Love are based on measurables (not tall enough, not quick enough, etc.) IMO an argument against combine numbers is an argument FOR Love, not against him.

No, they're not. Love's measurables were great. He measured faster than Corey Brewer and vertical higher than Kevin Durant. Love's not as athletic as his combine numbers.
richboy
RealGM
And1: 2,486

Post#33 » by richboy » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:23 pm

east wrote:I don't think you'll find footage of Horford doing this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eziogfe5XSI

Didn't Oden do something similar to Horford in the National title game.
collin_k41
Analyst

Post#34 » by collin_k41 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:25 pm

Ya I've noticed that most people don't try at the combine. Love knew that his athletic ability was in question so he gave it all he had. Just a guess. Maybe he paid someone off. :D
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#35 » by revprodeji » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:19 pm

Worm Guts wrote: Love's not as athletic as his combine numbers.

During the season (ala the film we saw) he was not, but he is now. Losing that weight and getting in shape means he is more athletic. If anything we have not seen the player he is now.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft200 ... tch-080516

He gave up the coco milk...we need to give up the orange juice.
Wolfsbane
Ballboy

Post#36 » by Wolfsbane » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:59 pm

DubaLakers wrote:Yes Love can have Horford's rookie impact PLUS...

Rookie Watch: Who are the early favorites for ROY?
By David Thorpe
ESPN.com

6. Kevin Love, PF, Timberwolves
I know his athleticism and overall physique are in question, but he's too tough, smart and skilled not to be an effective player early on. Thanks to the trade to Minnesota, he should get major minutes. He is a perfect fit (offensively) next to Big Al.

7. O.J. Mayo, SG, Grizzlies
Obviously, a talent like Mayo should rank higher, but Conley and Gay are youngsters who will get lots of minutes. Playing three young players together is a disastrous recipe most of the time, so O.J. may have to wait his turn just for a little bit.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#37 » by C.lupus » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:25 pm

sheefo13 wrote:Horford was in the east. Love has players like Oden, Boozer, Durant, ect just in our division... That is a diverse group of bigs he is gonna have to look at 12 games in a season..

He will have a pretty good post player next to him also, though. The two together will certainly make opposing bigs work much harder on defense.

collin_k41 wrote:Ya I've noticed that most people don't try at the combine. Love knew that his athletic ability was in question so he gave it all he had. Just a guess. Maybe he paid someone off.

I don't know about you but I like the idea of a guy giving all he has. If he does that at the combine, what will he do in games. Reminds me of another Kevin that used to play here.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves