ImageImageImage

Hoiberg on damage control

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

HowlinTwolf
Senior
And1: 0

Hoiberg on damage control 

Post#1 » by HowlinTwolf » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:29 pm

On PA and Dubay..... Cited like 4-5 times how much Espn, and other national analysts liked the trade. Basically said we filled holes and saved money.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Re: Hoiberg on damage control 

Post#2 » by Devilzsidewalk » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:32 pm

meh, the trade was equal enough that its debatable either way, but that 34th pick, I'll never forgive them for that.
mayorhoiberg
Sophomore

Post#3 » by mayorhoiberg » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:34 pm

The 34th pick would be forgivable if we got enough money to bring Pekovic here NOW.

That's what I was thinking when it went down. But no; we only got one player in this draft. Can't believe we passed on Jordan. Zero risk.
HowlinTwolf
Senior

Post#4 » by HowlinTwolf » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:54 pm

second round was a total buzzkill
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 685

Post#5 » by karch34 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:08 pm

I felt bad for Fred. He sounded like the guy who has to go out there and insist he didn't know his company was dumping toxic waste into the river after he's held the hand of the girl as she died from cancer she caught by swimming in that river.
Ojmayo
Banned User
And1: 30

Post#6 » by Ojmayo » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:02 pm

This was yet another bad draft and nothing good will come out of it I bet you Mike miller will be a lot better then Love will ever be and Mayo will be better then both and to top that all I think mchale is on the move to trade miller(thier goes out 3rd best player)
DelaneyRudd
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 9,340

Post#7 » by DelaneyRudd » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:20 pm

Round 1: Kevin Love (5)

Round 2: Nikola Pekovic (31)

Analysis: For the first time in more than a decade, Minnesota's Kevin McHale is earning an A from me. He did a really nice job getting value for Mayo at No. 3 and putting together a young team that could win 35 to 40 games next year.

Love won't be a superstar, but he's going to be solid. Pairing him in the front court with Al Jefferson makes the Wolves a little undersized, but they now have two excellent low-post scoring options.

Besides Love, the key acquisition was Mike Miller. He immediately comes in to fill a huge hole (long-range shooting) for the Wolves. If Randy Foye is healthy and can play up to his potential, the Wolves have the makings of a nice team. There's hope in Minnesota for the first time in a while. I didn't think we would see that with McHale on the watch, but I was wrong.

Pekovic can't come over for a few years, but he's also a low-post bruiser who has put up big numbers in Europe.

Congrats to the T-Wolves on getting Mike Miller and Love for the future Marbury-esque pariah OJ Mayo.
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#8 » by revprodeji » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:16 pm

I love the 2nd round. Pekovic is a late lotto talent. He was a sure thing there as a center and we have him. This is HUGE.

We did not want to use the roster spot on 34. We knew that in advanced. We moved a 2nd for 2 2nds. That is awesome.
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,274

Post#9 » by andyhop » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:54 am

revprodeji wrote:I love the 2nd round. Pekovic is a late lotto talent. He was a sure thing there as a center and we have him. This is HUGE.

We did not want to use the roster spot on 34. We knew that in advanced. We moved a 2nd for 2 2nds. That is awesome.

No we knew in advance that they didn't want to use both 2nd rounders on guys who would take up roster spots instead we got nobody.Even if Pekovic decides to come over in a couple of years we could clearly have taken another big at 34 as a stop gap until then and given that it makes no sense to keep Smith now it doesn't even cost us a roster spot.

We only have 9 contracts on the books for next season adding Bassy and Gomes makes 11, so we don't exactly have a roster spot problem.

Then next year if we only sign Bassy and Gomes this year plus some random scrubs we will have 10 spots tied up plus McCants ,if we want to keep him or someone his is traded for, plus maybe 3 first round picks plus 3 second rounders for a total of 16 or 17.

So those second rounders basically have no chance of making the team for the 09/10 season anyway,so we traded away the chance to take someone like Hardin who could help out next year for the chance to not add anyone in '09.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,019

Post#10 » by Dewey » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:00 am

I like the overall results of the draft for the Wolves. They truly may have accepted Mayo as the pick, but Stack said when Memphis called and agreed to add Miller, they felt that was the best road to take.

Chalmers: Wolves felt he was the best value on th board. Stack said they figured Bassy took his lumps last year as he continues to develop and they're kinda leaning towards hanging with him. That seems to be the reasoning why they eventually decided to accept Miami's two 2nd rounders next year. I can buy that as long as they beleive they can make it work to keep Bassy cheap.

Pekovic: Was great grab. Sure, it would be nice to have him here now rather than waiting two years, but when he comes, he'll be a great addition. Never know, maybe we'll work a deal to buy him out earlier - it's been done many times before.

Other prospects: Lots of hype, but mostly projects. A few will pan out - most will not as they flounder in the developmental league.
big3_8_19_21
RealGM
And1: 421

Post#11 » by big3_8_19_21 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:07 am

karch34 wrote:I felt bad for Fred. He sounded like the guy who has to go out there and insist he didn't know his company was dumping toxic waste into the river after he's held the hand of the girl as she died from cancer she caught by swimming in that river.

does one "catch" cancer? hmmm...

anyway Jordan will probably bust, there's really no reason to think he won't...I'm a upset that we didn't go for CDR, though.
Thriving on mediocrity since '89.
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,274

Post#12 » by andyhop » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:17 am

Dewey wrote:I like the overall results of the draft for the Wolves. They truly may have accepted Mayo as the pick, but Stack said when Memphis called and agreed to add Miller, they felt that was the best road to take.

Chalmers: Wolves felt he was the best value on th board. Stack said they figured Bassy took his lumps last year as he continues to develop and they're kinda leaning towards hanging with him. That seems to be the reasoning why they eventually decided to accept Miami's two 2nd rounders next year. I can buy that as long as they beleive they can make it work to keep Bassy cheap.

Pekovic: Was great grab. Sure, it would be nice to have him here now rather than waiting two years, but when he comes, he'll be a great addition. Never know, maybe we'll work a deal to buy him out earlier - it's been done many times before.

Other prospects: Lots of hype, but mostly projects. A few will pan out - most will not as they flounder in the developmental league.

If they prefer Bassy over Chalmers fine then pick a big guy don't trade him to someone who owes you a pick for 2 2nd rounders who aren't going to see the roster for a few years if ever.
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves