ImageImageImage

Love addresses defense

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Baby Hook
Ballboy
And1: 0

Love addresses defense 

Post#1 » by Baby Hook » Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:41 pm

http://a1135.g.akamai.net/f/1135/18227/1h/cchannel.download.akamai.com/18227/podcast/MINNEAPOLIS-MN/KFAN-AM/HARTMAN062708_kevin-love.mp3?CPROG=PCAST&MARKET=MINNEAPOLIS-MN&NG_FORMAT=sports&SITE_ID=612&STATION_ID=KFAN-AM&PCAST_AUTHOR=KFAN_AM_1130&PCAST_CAT=Sports_Radio&PCAST_TITLE=Chad_Hartman_-_KFAN_AM_1130

Kevin Love was on KFAN the other day and they asked him about his defense and among other things. Basically said that he realizes that other guys may have ability and athleticism on him, so he will have to make that up by watching tapes, using his head and working hard.

Im not saying that I think Love will make any All-Defense teams, but I think that athletic ability is overrated in defense. I know its not everything, but I think working hard and understanding your opponents tendencies and preferences go a long way.

This gives me a little hope that the Wolves wont have the worst defensive frontcourt in the league.
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Re: Love addresses defense 

Post#2 » by Basti » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:17 pm

I think you're right with defense being not so much about athletic ability. look Gerald Green as an example has all the tools to be a great defender yet he still looked really lost on defense. I wouldn't consider me as a good example but anticipation, commitment and good positioning makes you at least an average defender (which I'd consider myself) and I have zero to none athletic ability.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,997
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#3 » by NO-KG-AI » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:29 pm

He still isn't going to be an intimidating defensive presence in the paint, and Jefferson has already proven that isn't really his game.

Love still has question marks guarding either frontcourt spot, but I do think his man defense will be fine, but still, with Minnesota's perimeter D, they really need a presence in the paint.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,800

Post#4 » by Klomp » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:07 pm

I think he's gonna be a Mark Madsen-type on defense.
Celtics_85
Starter
And1: 59

Post#5 » by Celtics_85 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:21 pm

If he is a team defender instead of just an individual defender then he will be just fine. The good NBA defensive teams are good at team defenses helping eachother out, as you can't stop teams by one on one defensive schemes, players are just too good at beating defenders one on one. Al has gotten better year after year on defense and will be your shot blocker in the middle. You are a much better team agter this trade than before you made it, and that is what counts when you are rebuilding.
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#6 » by deeney0 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:51 pm

Collins is only 29. I thought he was like 33.

Wolves now have four players who have been on the cover of Sports Illustrated when they were in college. Shad, Corey, Love, and yes, you guessed it, Jason Collins. A fifth, Bassy, was on the cover while in High School.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves