ImageImageImage

Moving Forward: What happens with the rest of the offseason?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Carpe Diem
Pro Prospect
And1: 8

Re: Moving Forward: What happens with the rest of the offseason? 

Post#21 » by Carpe Diem » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:51 pm

What is the dude talking about? Love and Al are two very different players. The legitimate complaint is that they are both best suited for the "4" position and that neither is a true "5" and hence will have problems on the defensive end. The offensive end is set up very nicely with a slashing pg and sf (Foye, Brewer), a long range bomber who can spread the floor (Miller) and an excellent high post passer who can hit the open shot (Love). All of this opens up space for our best player to operate down low. I think this is a very interesting team on the offensive side of the game.

While I have no problem resigning Smith, I don't think MN will because Gomes is the better player and with Collins, Love, Cardinal, Richard ( a cheap resign) there becomes little roster room and need. Moreover, Smith doesn't fill the biggest interior need---length.

We need a veteran pg who can come in and keep things moving for 14-20 minutes a night. I don't think Bassy fits here and MN did not tender him because he is not woth $3.5 million a season. I agree with the other poster who belives that Bassy sees himself being worth a whole lot more. Thus, I doubt he is back. Duhon is a good option and a 2 year contract would be about right.
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#22 » by deeney0 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:34 pm

Well, per the Strib, Bassy was not tendered the QO, so he's a UFA and can sign anywhere. Wolves still want him back, but didn't at $3.5 mil per.
BMF Jet Jaguar
Bench Warmer
And1: 1

Post#23 » by BMF Jet Jaguar » Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:00 pm

for the record, Collins one of the best locker room guys in the league.

idk if he can do squat in an NBA game though
Kobe wrote:Wasn't much of a battle tonight. I kicked his ass tonight.
wolves_fan_82au
Assistant Coach
And1: 32

Post#24 » by wolves_fan_82au » Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:48 pm

4ho5ive wrote:
Kurosawa wrote:We're set up for huge cap space for 2010 and wouldn't want to do something foolish now to screw that up--like overpaying some stiff C. It's pretty clear Love and AJ will start in the post, so let's let Jason Collins be our primary backup C. A bigger need is PG. Assuming we resign Telfair, we'll still have only two PGs on the roster, both with significant injury concerns (balky kneecap, Troy Hudson-like ankle).

How about Chris Duhon? He'd come cheap, and he's a solid defender, a good character guy, and a good A/T ratio.

My problem with this is that who are we gonna attract in 10/11? Bron is a FA and the Nets are doing everything possible to sell off contracts to get ready for that offseason. The Knicks are too. Lebron, no matter how much money we have, will not choose Minnesota over NY or NJ. Wade? same goes for him, he isnt gonna want to leave south beach weather for south pole weather. He will end up either with MIA or another big time franchise.

My whole thing was being contenders in the 09/10 off season, where we could get lower profile studs ala Okafor/Bogut/Deng. Now we cant do that so we have to contend with the big shot teams for the big shot players, I really dont like our odds.

If we dont hold on to Telfair, or we decide Foye is our SG then I would be cool with Duhon though I dont want to lose Telfair nor force Foye to play solely SG.

we have too take that risk imo and at least try and sign them , im sure one big name might wanna go to minnesota
teams supporting
NBA-Minnesota t-wolves
NHL-Toronto Mapleleafs
NFL-Miami Dolphins
MLB-???
Others:Wests Tigers,Leeds United,Schalke,VVV,Sydney Kings,Tatsuma Ito
MN Die Hard
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#25 » by MN Die Hard » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:26 am

I wouldnt be surprised if we dont see any new faces via free agency this year. We keep the new draftees and the guys from the Memphis trade, bring back Gomes and some of the others from last year and roll with that.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,882

Post#26 » by theGreatRC » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:11 am

I wish we could trade Love for Lopez right now

Foye
Brewer
Miller
Jefferson
Lopez

Only defensive holes would be Miller and Jefferson, but Jefferson isn't even that bad on D
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
Dan's with the Wolves
Pro Prospect
And1: 9

Post#27 » by Dan's with the Wolves » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:15 am

MN Die Hard wrote:I wouldnt be surprised if we dont see any new faces via free agency this year. We keep the new draftees and the guys from the Memphis trade, bring back Gomes and some of the others from last year and roll with that.

They will need a second and third point guard. It would be nice if Bassy has improved his jumper.
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 685

Post#28 » by karch34 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:15 am

Dan's with the Wolves wrote:
MN Die Hard wrote:I wouldnt be surprised if we dont see any new faces via free agency this year. We keep the new draftees and the guys from the Memphis trade, bring back Gomes and some of the others from last year and roll with that.

They will need a second and third point guard. It would be nice if Bassy has improved his jumper.

That's what I'm hoping for. He's a consistent jumper away from being a darn good player, especially as a backup PG. I agree that they won't and shouldn't spend $3.5 million on him, but I do want him back. I think fixing his jumper and Brewer's would make a huge difference in the season.
lewdog
Rookie
And1: 88

Post#29 » by lewdog » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:23 am

Carpe Diem wrote:What is the dude talking about? Love and Al are two very different players. The legitimate complaint is that they are both best suited for the "4" position and that neither is a true "5" and hence will have problems on the defensive end. The offensive end is set up very nicely with a slashing pg and sf (Foye, Brewer), a long range bomber who can spread the floor (Miller) and an excellent high post passer who can hit the open shot (Love). All of this opens up space for our best player to operate down low. I think this is a very interesting team on the offensive side of the game.

That's what the dude is talking about. They are exactly the same player on the defensive side of the ball. What marginal difference they have in offensive skills doesn't make up for their sameness at the defensive end. They are going to be pathetic defensively.

Carpe Diem, our squad is unbalance w/ too many good "4's" and I really don't care if they're interesting offensively. I just really want them to win. AND DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!!
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,274

Post#30 » by andyhop » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:40 am

4ho5ive wrote:
My problem with this is that who are we gonna attract in 10/11? Bron is a FA and the Nets are doing everything possible to sell off contracts to get ready for that offseason. The Knicks are too. Lebron, no matter how much money we have, will not choose Minnesota over NY or NJ. Wade? same goes for him, he isnt gonna want to leave south beach weather for south pole weather. He will end up either with MIA or another big time franchise.

My whole thing was being contenders in the 09/10 off season, where we could get lower profile studs ala Okafor/Bogut/Deng. Now we cant do that so we have to contend with the big shot teams for the big shot players, I really dont like our odds.

We aren't going to get a Lebron or Wade even if we were the only team with space,but those teams that are trying may well have some pieces that they want to offload to a team with capspace plus appropriate compensation.

I'd guess that Okafor/Deng and Bogut all sign new deals this offseason anyway either with their teams or are sign and traded so I don't see us missing out anyway on next years FA market.
Carpe Diem
Pro Prospect
And1: 8

Post#31 » by Carpe Diem » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:55 pm

Lewdog--They have very different skill sets on the offensive end and most teams do not have a premiere 5 that will be able to eat them up on the defensive end. On offense, Love's passing ability and range will open things up inside. Al does not have those skills and the skill set that Love brings to the table compliments Al's tremendously. As for defense, Love's vertical is 5 inches greater then league average for 5's, his agility is on par with small forwards, and he is way stronger then most and by all accounts has one of the best BBIQ's around. If there is too big of a problem then I imagine that Collins will see more time and by all accounts he is an excellent positional defender. Love and Al will be teamed for a long time to come, and while there will be growing pains, they will grow together.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,514

Post#32 » by Worm Guts » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:04 pm

I don't buy that Love has the agility or quickness of a small forward or that he has the explosiveness to get full use of his vertical. He had awesome combine numbers but watching him play seemed to indicate that he was a lesser athlete. Even if most teams can't or don't take advantage of Love and Jefferson defensively, the goal isn't to be better than most teams. It's to be the best team. I can't think of a good team that's had a slower, smaller combination in the frontcourt.
Wolfsbane
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#33 » by Wolfsbane » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:52 pm

Worm Guts wrote:I don't buy that Love has the agility or quickness of a small forward or that he has the explosiveness to get full use of his vertical. He had awesome combine numbers but watching him play seemed to indicate that he was a lesser athlete. Even if most teams can't or don't take advantage of Love and Jefferson defensively, the goal isn't to be better than most teams. It's to be the best team. I can't think of a good team that's had a slower, smaller combination in the frontcourt.

Love has the quickness and agility of a small forward , as long as that small forward is Larry Bird! Love is not a quick player. What they are counting on for Love is BB IQ - in other words, anticipate what is happening and get into good position to make up for a lack of Quickness. What Love does have to play big is good strength and good hands.

Let's see, the Celtic won Rings with a front court of Bird, McHale and the Chief. The Wolves are no where close to the old Celtic, but there are more ways to play defense than just quickness. Let's hope the Wolves staff has some ideas.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves