ImageImageImage

Nenad Krstic

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Nenad Krstic 

Post#1 » by Krapinsky » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:15 am

I just realized this guy is a restricted free agent. I can't imagine New jersey wanting him back all that bad, considering how many young front court players they have and since they don't want to tie up cap space for Lebron. He would really finish off our roster nicely. Is there anything we could offer in a sign and trade? Or could we sign him?

I would rather sign him instead of Smith and/or Snyder just to balance out the roster. Could we?

NJ has so many players that if we were to trade, a draft pick would probably have to be included.

There are other options out there- O'Bryant (no one knows if he can play), Diop (will most likely sign with Dallas), Collins (we just play him, but he has been called the worst player in the NBA)
B Calrissian
Head Coach
And1: 17

Re: Nenad Krstic 

Post#2 » by B Calrissian » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:34 am

I was thinking about this earlier today. I think the 3rd big man needs to play better defense. I think the Wolves should go after Varejao. They could just take on his salary if they don't resign Smith or Snyder, right? Would the Miami pick+cap space be enough to get him?
4ho5ive
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Post#3 » by 4ho5ive » Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:28 am

I have been an advocate of trying to get Kristic for a while. Even more so now that we dont have a legit 7'0 center. I think his mid range game would open up the paint for Jefferson and its not like he has no post game himself. O Bryant should get a camp invite if we end up with nothing else.
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#4 » by deeney0 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:57 am

Depends on the cost, obviously.
Krapinsky
RealGM

Post#5 » by Krapinsky » Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:26 am

deeney0 wrote:Depends on the cost, obviously.

Geez, thanks for the amazing insight. What do you think he's worth? $8m/2yrs? Then we replace him with Pekovic?
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,280

Post#6 » by andyhop » Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:53 am

B Calrissian wrote:I was thinking about this earlier today. I think the 3rd big man needs to play better defense. I think the Wolves should go after Varejao. They could just take on his salary if they don't resign Smith or Snyder, right? Would the Miami pick+cap space be enough to get him?

We don't have any cap space unless the salary cap takes a big jump.We are at about $57m if we renounce all of our RFA.

It would have to be a trade for Varejao.
deeney0
RealGM

Post#7 » by deeney0 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:11 am

He's going to want a longer contract than that. I'm sure he's fielding offers from Europe, too. I don't know anything about his knee - two years ago he would've been a bargain at $4 mil per, now that would look like a bad contract.

And I don't think the Wolves bring in anyone for anything other than minimum contracts.
bejo1987
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#8 » by bejo1987 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:27 pm

Two years ago, I've heard from a guy close to Krstic that he was just trying to get somewhat descent contract and that he wouldn't do that hard after signing a descent deal. If I remember well, he had great playoffs that year against Miami(17+ ppg) but then he suffered that knee injury and struggled all year long. If we could get him at about 3-4 M for 2 years it could prove out to be a great deal. He's a smart guy, and he would probably work pretty hard to get new contract. And if Pacman (Pekovic's nickname in Serbia) is coming in 2010, S&T would work well.

btw Krstic and Perovic(GSW) have played for the same team in Serbia as is Pekovic.
TrentTuckerForever
Starter
And1: 2

Post#9 » by TrentTuckerForever » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:35 pm

B Calrissian wrote:I think the 3rd big man needs to play better defense.

The 3rd big man is already on the roster - Collins. I think the Wolves resign Gomes and play him all they can off the bench. When they need D, they'll turn to Collins.
MVP4LIFE
General Manager

Post#10 » by MVP4LIFE » Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:11 pm

Eventhough Kristic would be a very solid addition, doesn't adding him screw up the plan of landing a bigger name in the summer of 2010?
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 688

Post#11 » by karch34 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:25 pm

If we could sign him for part of the MLE ($8million/2 years sounds great), I'd do it. I think he'd be a perfect fit at C with us. The guy can score, board, and block shots. I'd look at him before Craig Smith too.
deeney0
RealGM

Post#12 » by deeney0 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:36 pm

25 year olds don't sign 2 year contracts. That's ludicrous.
MVP4LIFE
General Manager

Post#13 » by MVP4LIFE » Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:43 pm

Won't he ask for the full MLE?
Krapinsky
RealGM

Post#14 » by Krapinsky » Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:55 pm

deeney0 wrote:25 year olds don't sign 2 year contracts. That's ludicrous.

Disagree. If I was his agent, I would tell him to sign a 1 or 2 year deal. Since he's been hurt, his value is at an all time low. He's still young, so if he can show he's still got it, he would command more than the mid-level after his 1 or 2 year deal is up.

Signing a 5 year deal at 20 mil would be a terribel deal for him if he can show next year he's a $7 mil/yr player.
Wingman
Starter
And1: 101

Post#15 » by Wingman » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:33 pm

I'd give him the MLE.
MVP4LIFE
General Manager

Post#16 » by MVP4LIFE » Tue Jul 1, 2008 6:37 am

If he'd accept the MLE, he would be a great addition next to Al and Love. However that gives us less options for the PG. Perhaps making sure Telfair is coming back and then add Krstic? Would be awesome if you ask me.
"Watching his work ethic, his dedication and, again, his passion that he brings every single day. It's something that I've looked at and said that if I had to design a NBA player, I'd first design him with the heart of Kevin Garnett." Jet
big3_8_19_21
RealGM
And1: 421

Post#17 » by big3_8_19_21 » Tue Jul 1, 2008 6:43 am

He's not really what we need from a 7 footer. I would rather use the money to get a solid back-up PG. Al/Love/Collins plus Richard and maybe Smith is just fine for our front court rotation til Pekovic arrives. No need to be spending money right now.
Thriving on mediocrity since '89.
MVP4LIFE
General Manager

Post#18 » by MVP4LIFE » Tue Jul 1, 2008 1:09 pm

big3_8_19_21 wrote:He's not really what we need from a 7 footer. I would rather use the money to get a solid back-up PG. Al/Love/Collins plus Richard and maybe Smith is just fine for our front court rotation til Pekovic arrives. No need to be spending money right now.

You know what, I think you're right. That's a complete turn around for me, but Love probably is a hard working version of a guy like Krstic. He wouldn't bring that much more for our team, and since we need players in other areas, Krstic probably isn't a good option to use the MLE for.
"Watching his work ethic, his dedication and, again, his passion that he brings every single day. It's something that I've looked at and said that if I had to design a NBA player, I'd first design him with the heart of Kevin Garnett." Jet
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 688

Post#19 » by karch34 » Tue Jul 1, 2008 2:06 pm

big3_8_19_21 wrote:He's not really what we need from a 7 footer. I would rather use the money to get a solid back-up PG. Al/Love/Collins plus Richard and maybe Smith is just fine for our front court rotation til Pekovic arrives. No need to be spending money right now.

We can re-sign Telfair and still sign Kristic. It's 3 years before Pekovic arrives, if he even comes at all. I guess I'm not as optimistic that we're that set up front, plus I'd sign Kristic over Smith as we're set at PF. We do need another PG though first.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves