ImageImageImage

We Should Count Our Blessings

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Kurosawa
Sophomore
And1: 0

We Should Count Our Blessings 

Post#1 » by Kurosawa » Thu Jul 3, 2008 1:49 am

With the news that the Supersonics are departing Seattle comes the realization of how fortunate we are to have a professional basketball team in Minneapolis. Many of the same elements that drove the Sonics from Seattle--a sub-par arena, dwindling attendance, etc.--are present here.

We are fortunate to have an extremely loyal local owner who has been willing to lose money at an increasing rate to keep the franchise in Minnesota and try to build a winner. A mercenary like the guy who bought the Sonics would have bailed on us.

Can we imagine what it would be like to lose the franchise? If we can, we should be counting our blessings and showing our support instead of bitching and criticizing incessantly. You never know what you have until it's gone.
dunkonu21
Lead Assistant
And1: 40

Re: We Should Count Our Blessings 

Post#2 » by dunkonu21 » Thu Jul 3, 2008 1:58 am

I don't see the similarities to be honest.
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#3 » by deeney0 » Thu Jul 3, 2008 2:21 am

This just shows how important it will be for the legislature to get off their asses and help finance a new Vikings stadium this cycle.
TMo519
Bench Warmer
And1: 25

Post#4 » by TMo519 » Thu Jul 3, 2008 2:43 am

deeney0 wrote:This just shows how important it will be for the legislature to get off their asses and help finance a new Vikings stadium this cycle.

AGREED! It'd be a far greater blow to Minnesota to lose the Vikings than to lose the Timberwolves actually.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,518

Post#5 » by shrink » Thu Jul 3, 2008 3:15 am

I agree with the OP. When I used to read RubeChat, I used to wonder why in the world Glen Taylor puts up with this abuse. He could just stay a quiet businessmen and none ofthe yokels would be screaming and whining about him.
shrink
RealGM

Post#6 » by shrink » Thu Jul 3, 2008 3:24 am

BTW - for Carl Pohlad, I get it. He is a general good, old-fashioned guy, and loves all the baseball-is-America type stuff. I went to his birthday party a few years back, which was a big fundraiser for Starkey, the hearing aid people Mark Madsen had that great story about. Bob Costas hosted, and there were people there like Bob Feller and many baseball greats and loads of baseball stories. Anyway, Carl soaks that stuff up, and he didn't mind losing some money as long as it kept baseball in the Twin Cities. As you probably recall, he was only going to be a part owner with a big group, but when it came time to write the checks, they all backed off, and Carl had to step up to own a team he didn't necessarily want in the first place.

The problem is that he is very old and pretty frail, and his sons, despite appearances, don't have the passion for baseball that Carl does. Two of them are involved, but its more out of a debt to dad than a love for baseball. Anyway, Carl was willing to contract the club a few years back simply because he didn't have any heir that would like inheriting the money-losing team. With a new ballpark though, and the opportunity for better revenue streams, whoever inherits it will be locked into either keeping it, or selling it to someone local. I think that turned out to be a good situation for everyone involved.

I believe Glen Taylor has some controlling interest in the Target Center, so he makes money using it. Still, I'm not sure I would subject myself to the abuse. His other businesses are far more lucrative.
the_bruce
Analyst
And1: 57

Post#7 » by the_bruce » Thu Jul 3, 2008 3:35 am

Don't forget that Old glen bought the wolves for 1/3 what the team is worth now. Its not like he made a horrific investment. Also the team hasnt lost money every year. Even if taylor lost 10m a year each year he owned the twolves he's still +100m profit from his purchase price! Simple fact is I think the wolves are break even or slight profit over the past 10 years in operating costs vs profit from what I remember from reading the Forbes valuation of the team awhile back.
shrink
RealGM

Post#8 » by shrink » Thu Jul 3, 2008 3:56 am

I agree, and I'm not saying Taylor's losing money with the Wolves. I'm saying he makes plenty of money with his other businesses and I wonder why he subjects himself to the public ridicule with the Wolves? If he moved the Wolves, or sold them to an owner who wanted to move them, I wouldn't blame him.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,019

Post#9 » by Dewey » Thu Jul 3, 2008 4:11 am

If he doesn't want to win, it sure can't be worth the headache considering other alternatives he'd likely have. Sure the value of the franchise may pose a decent return, but I imagine building a winner has some impact as well ...
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
bman
Ballboy

Post#10 » by bman » Thu Jul 3, 2008 4:15 am

I agree with these points, but only to a certain degree. I am very happy to have the twolves to cheer for. However, owning a public team puts you in the public eye for good or bad. As a successful business owner I would think it would be more frustrating putting a poor(ish) product out to the point where your customer base complains that much about it. Criticism is a part of business, especially when your business is trying to appeal to the mass public. There have been many things worthy of criticising over the past several years.

That said I think that Mr, Taylor is not foolish and is making changes to better the situation. Making the decision making process to include more people was a good step.

Then too, the amount that some people go beyond fair criticism and simply cry and complain makes me wonder why they do not simply move on and cheer for another team. It seriously gets old. The team is what it is. Wish it to be something different as much as you want, but it will still be the same team. Deal with it or move on.
Cyborg21
General Manager
And1: 368

Post#11 » by Cyborg21 » Thu Jul 3, 2008 4:28 am

I will go for the Wolves no matter what city there in...even if I lived in Minnesota and they moved.
bman
Ballboy

Post#12 » by bman » Thu Jul 3, 2008 4:52 am

I suppose one other reason he would subject himself to it would be the money. Those that criticize are also those who add value to his investment by buying tickets, memorabilia, etc...
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,852

Post#13 » by Klomp » Thu Jul 3, 2008 5:01 am

Cyborg21 wrote:I will go for the Wolves no matter what city there in...even if I lived in Minnesota and they moved.

Even if the became the Oklahoma City Wolves?
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,290

Post#14 » by Calinks » Thu Jul 3, 2008 5:24 am

I'm very thankful that we have this team and I am thankful that Glen Taylor has kept them here. That still doesn't mean I'm cutting the guy any slack when he makes poor decisions. There is good and bad with everything. I'm not going to blindly acknowledge the good or just the bad. I'll call it like I see it.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Cyborg21
General Manager
And1: 368

Post#15 » by Cyborg21 » Thu Jul 3, 2008 5:32 am

klomp44 wrote:
Cyborg21 wrote:I will go for the Wolves no matter what city there in...even if I lived in Minnesota and they moved.

Even if the became the Oklahoma City Wolves?

:-? u know what I mean. :D
TheFranchise21
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Post#16 » by TheFranchise21 » Thu Jul 3, 2008 5:35 am

I remember the talk was about moving the Wolves to Louisiana before Taylor bought them.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#17 » by Calinks » Thu Jul 3, 2008 5:41 am

If the Wolves left. Man, I'd flip out. Even though the Wolves are at the bottom of the totem here in Minnesota they are by far my number sports everything.
D1SGRUNTL3D
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,080

Post#18 » by D1SGRUNTL3D » Thu Jul 3, 2008 5:41 am

TMo519 wrote:
deeney0 wrote:This just shows how important it will be for the legislature to get off their asses and help finance a new Vikings stadium this cycle.

AGREED! It'd be a far greater blow to Minnesota to lose the Vikings than to lose the Timberwolves actually.

I dont even think "far greater" would describe it. the wolves are the 4th most popular team in the state.

If we lost the Vikings, which I think is slim, it'll be devastating. To everybody
4ho5ive
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Post#19 » by 4ho5ive » Thu Jul 3, 2008 5:43 am

I thought it was Las Vegas some time ago?? Maybe not.

What if we were the Louisiana Timberwolves of Minnesota! :0

I couldnt imagine losing the Wolves. im not even from Minny, but still
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#20 » by Calinks » Thu Jul 3, 2008 5:45 am

Wolves have to be lower than 4th.

Lots of teams are ahead of us. Vikings, Twins, Wild, Gopher Basketball, Gopher Football

We might fit in next.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves