RealGM
And1: 14,412

WAS-MIN 

Post#1 » by shrink » Fri Jul 4, 2008 8:45 pm

MIN GETS: Etan Thomas
WAS GETS: Jason Collins

MIN GETS: JaVale McGee ($1.16)
WAS GETS: TPE (Gerald Green)

WHY FOR WAS?: With the new contracts for Antawn Jamison and Gilbert Arenas, WAS will be struggling to stay under the lux this season, and especially next season. JaVale is not going to be helping a "win-now" team like WAS for a couple years, not like Collins would. It eliminates Etan's small health risk (supposedly he'll be ready for camp as the sternum heals), and eliminates the large chmistry risk (he's had fistfights with Haywood). The deal saves WAS $1.8 mil this year and $8.6 mil next year. Most of that money would be doubled, and they might be able to get their 2009-10 lux share at around $2 mil, so I estimatethey'd clear about $18 mil.

WHY FOR MIN: It's a flat-out purchase of JaVale McGee. Is acquiring him worth about $5.2 mil a year ($4.2 in our free agency space and $1 mil for his salary)? I'm kind of high on McGee, so I'd say that's a better investment of our money at this stage of the wolves development than in a vet free agent next year. Etan and Cardinal become expirings next summer, and we can just let them expire so we have morem oney for the exciting 2010 superclass, or trade them to other teams that want to get under the salary cap to make offers for LeBron, Carmello, Wade, Bosh, etc.
Tekkenlaw
Starter
And1: 39

Re: WAS-MIN 

Post#2 » by Tekkenlaw » Fri Jul 4, 2008 8:55 pm

I'd do this in a second, Thomas would fit with our cap space plans, his contract ends in two years and he would be a serviceable big for us. And JaVale McGee was my favorite project center in the entire draft, and I think if he is willing to put the work in he could be a really special player.
Mcfale313
Bench Warmer
And1: 42

Post#3 » by Mcfale313 » Fri Jul 4, 2008 8:55 pm

good trade for Minny, but I'm not sure if the Wizards are willing to give up both of their backup for Brendon Haywood for one Collins minus offensive skills....especially giving up their 1st round draft pick that early.....
but if i'm the wolves manager i'd do it~~

*nvm this part....I reread the post* its good then, but I do believe washington will demand more from us to give up their first round pick
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,824

Post#4 » by Klomp » Fri Jul 4, 2008 9:03 pm

Honestly, I probably wouldn't do this deal. I'm high on McGee, but not enough to take on Thomas. I think Collins will have an important role on this team, kind of like Ratliff last year before the injuries.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
shrink
RealGM

Post#5 » by shrink » Fri Jul 4, 2008 9:04 pm

I wouldn't be too concerned about WAS' big man depth. While I'm never found a truly robust method for ranking a player's defensive capabilities from the stats, the best ones that I have seen put Jason Collins near the top of the charts, so I assume he's at least solid. That's probably the most you can say for Etan, so I don't think they lose out on anything. I consider them somewhat equivalent on the court. McGee would not be helping a championship team much this season, and their big man situation looks like:

Jamison / Songalia / Blatche
Haywood / Collins / OPec

All three PF's will get plenty of play (and also at SF, where Caron Butler is firmly established. Also, in the East, a dominating center is not nearly as important.

Etan Thomas: $6,864,200 $7,354,500
Jason Collins: $6,200,000

WAS is probably saving abpout $18 mil here, and I don't think they could argue that McGee is worth that.
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,274

Post#6 » by andyhop » Fri Jul 4, 2008 11:21 pm

Personally I think McGee is going to be playing in Europe after his rookie deal so I wouldn't do this deal but change him for a 1st round pick and I'd do it.
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
shrink
RealGM

Post#7 » by shrink » Sat Jul 5, 2008 6:04 am

Since the Wizards will probably have a pick in the 20's, with Butler, Jamison and Arenas, the $9 mil we'd be spending would be over-paying. With WAS saving about $18 mil, I would think they'd be willing to give up more as well.

I don't think they'd give up Blatche, but the incentive they could provide would be among these assets:

JaVale McGee
Nick Young
Oleg Pecherov
2009 1st
the_bruce
Analyst
And1: 57

Post#8 » by the_bruce » Sat Jul 5, 2008 6:34 pm

I'd do this deal, and I think most WAS fans would at least consider it. The main sticking point for me is a Ithink Thomas has a kicker? They'd certainly save a few mil this year., but next year they'd save a ton more. We'd be trading for a similar player to collins but it probably adds 10m to next years books. Also our front court depth isnt as dysmal as it was prior to the draft so its not a big bonus for us to get 2 bigs back.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,044

Post#9 » by queridiculo » Sun Jul 6, 2008 10:36 pm

As a Washington fan there is no way would I do this deal. You don't spend a year scouting a player, end up having him fall into your lap and then give him up just to shave some salary before he's even played a single minute of basketball for your team.

Washington isn't in luxury tax range just yet, and depending on how the numbers shake out may have as much as their full MLE available to sign another player without crossing the treshold.

2009/2010 is a different question altogether, but with $14 million in expiring contracts between Thomas and Daniels it shouldn't be hard for Washington to ship one of those guys for some salary cap relief when the time comes.
casey
General Manager
And1: 7

Post#10 » by casey » Sun Jul 6, 2008 10:47 pm

Talk to Glen.
BruceO
Sixth Man
And1: 311

Post#11 » by BruceO » Tue Jul 8, 2008 10:12 pm

Washington fan here, whats your current roster. You guys have been really active and it seems like Philly, minnesota will be working together. I did hear a rumour about Washington Minnesota doing a deal. To be honest I wouldnt be interested in jason collins. Primarily I'd be looking at the players in positions where you are overloaded and help each other streamline the lineups. I think mike miller would be a consideration. But you guys have more. So again I would be curious to know whats your current roster

I'm editing this to add that the tradeable items that we would give away are in tiers
Etan, Songaila (no longer useful to us)
Pecherov, mcguire, (possibly added as filler based on potential)
AD, Deshawn, ( vets who won't likely go unless we get an upgrade)
Nick young, Blatche, mcgee ( i put them in this tier cause they are young were personaly selected by the GM and have shown flashes , while being currently cheap so won't get us much in return)
Haywood, Arenas, Caron, Jamison ( unlikely unless we get an all star back)

Roger mason is a free agent
Veremeenko is playing in europe but might play in summer league
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#12 » by deeney0 » Wed Jul 9, 2008 12:25 am

Washington has nothing that could fetch Miller outside of its big four. If Haywood is on the table, Haywood for Miller straight up would be great. Otherwise, forget about Miller. Something smaller (McCants, for example) would be more likely.
SoSick
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#13 » by SoSick » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:05 am

How about mccants + collins for daniels + mcgee? IDK why WAS would do this but for MN daniels will be a valuable backup PG and a vet leader. What's your take on this?
"It's Basketball, You play it the way you know it"

-Kevin Garnett
shrink
RealGM

Post#14 » by shrink » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:19 am

BruceO wrote:Washington fan here, whats your current roster?

Probably something like this (though the SG/SF slots will move around a lot -- Brewer could replace McCants)

PG: Foye, (Telfair)
SG McCants, Carney
SF Mike Miller, Corey Brewer
PF Love, (Gomes), Cardinal, Madsen
C: Al Jefferson, Collins, Booth

If the Wolves can't sign Telfair cheaply, then they will look elsewhere for a back-up PG. McHale has also said the Wolves probably "aren't done" and that he'd like to add a combo guard, or a player that can play PG-SG-SF.
shrink
RealGM

Post#15 » by shrink » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:30 am

SoSick wrote:How about mccants + collins for daniels + mcgee? IDK why WAS would do this but for MN daniels will be a valuable backup PG and a vet leader. What's your take on this?

I've always liked Daniels too, but two years at $6.4 mil for a 33-year-old may be more of a commitment than McHale would want to make. Also, WAS is in a "win-now" mode and will probably rely on Daniels as a key sixth man for the team.

I could definitely see McCants having value in WAS. I don't think he'd start over the defensive Deshawn Stevenson, but except for Arenas and Stevenson, no Wizard shot better than 28% 3P%. Nick Young doesn't impress me. I think with WAS spending all the money to re-sign Arenas and Jamison, that we could be good trading partners. We give more experienced players for their promising youth like McGee that won't help much for a year or two. The Wizards are also banging at the lux threshold pretty good too, so the Green TPE would probably have some value.

Its tough for MIN to make trades now, with many new pieces needed to be dealt seperately for two months. This makes just tossing McCants in very difficult. This provides WAS vet centers and cap relief.

Saves 0.3 1.6 2.4 Booth - O Pec
Saves 0.7 7.3 Collins - Etan
Saves 1.4 1.5 1.6 2.5 TPE - McGee
SoSick
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#16 » by SoSick » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:23 am

Yep Daniels is a key part of their rotation thats why I am doubtful WAS would do this trade. But Daniels contract is good IMO plus it expires in 2010 (not sure tho). So if it doesn't pan out, he's gone.
I think MN would jump on a trade like this.
shrink
RealGM

Post#17 » by shrink » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:39 pm

bruceallen61 wrote:I'd do this deal, and I think most WAS fans would at least consider it. The main sticking point for me is a Ithink Thomas has a kicker?

Thanks for the backstop. I'd forgotten about that completely.

To be honest, I think at $5.2 mil/year, I was right at my financial breaking point for Javale McGee before. With the addition of the kicker that would bring the number closer to $6 mil, I think that's too much. It isn't that I don't like McGee, but for a non-lottery pick, and losing the flexibility of the expiring this season, I'm leaning away from the deal. Maybe including a weak veteran Booth for an unready prospect in OPec in a simultaneous deal would push me back.

hermitkid wrote: Washington isn't in luxury tax range just yet, and depending on how the numbers shake out may have as much as their full MLE available to sign another player without crossing the treshold.

2009/2010 is a different question altogether, but with $14 million in expiring contracts between Thomas and Daniels it shouldn't be hard for Washington to ship one of those guys for some salary cap relief when the time comes.

Do you know how few teams carry cap space of that size? I think right now there is only 1 team (GSW). And notice that while an expiring is generally a positive, a TPE means they are willing to add to their salary $6-$7 mil for one of these guys, so you'd have to incentivize it to get a team interested in paying that money this year just to get you under the lux. With the Arenas and Jamison signings, I see no real way for WAS to get under the lux next season without making a trade this year for an expiring now.

Etan has negative value playing alongside Haywood, and to any team with his contract. I know the fans get excited about their young picks, but late firsts get sold for $3 mil, and this deal would save WAS $18 AND move Etan. Personally, I think its a no-brainer for them. I'm just not convinced it benefits MIN enough.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves