A week after the trade

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Re: A week after the trade 

Post#21 » by Devilzsidewalk » Mon Jul 7, 2008 2:40 pm

deeney0 wrote:Welcome to the board.

Trading for Love was better than drafting him at 3 outright. Miller should fit in well here. The trade dashes all hopes of making a splash in 2009 free agency, but opens up a possibility for an even bigger splash in 2010 IF they're frugal with the kind of contracts they doll out this year. If they keep Gomes, Telfair, and Smith for too long/too much, then one of the big appeals of this trade gets dashed.

Jefferson/Love is a short, slow defensive front court. The Wolves couldn't keep penetrating guards out of the lane last year, couldn't defend in transition, had crappy help defense. This trade doesn't address those problems much at all. Worse - the Wolves are locked into that front court for four years. Yes, Jefferson/Love is better than Jefferson/Gomes, but keeping Mayo and targeting a defensive big man next year (Thabeet, for example), would've addressed these issues a lot more.

I think a Mayo/Foye backcourt would've worked beautifully. I didn't see drafting Mayo as giving up on Foye at all, it was more a giving up on McCants thing - and he's still probably gone before the trade deadline.

After a week, I'm still not digging the trade. I wish Mayo was still here.

made baskets on offense = much better transition defense. Thabeet on the floor is just another guy you can play off of to crowd Jefferson and more inefficient offense and more long rebounds off of bad shots and just puts MN in more transition defense situations. With Love you have a more efficient offense (which was just as big a problem as the defense) and you're going to be in the halfcourt more often.

If teams think they're going to go at Love everytime down the court and abuse him, then good luck with that. Love is not the horrible defender everybody wants to believe he is.
funkatron101
General Manager
And1: 960

Post#22 » by funkatron101 » Mon Jul 7, 2008 2:42 pm

I am now going to reserve my judgment until I see Al and Love play together.
Lattimer wrote:Cracks me up that people still think that Wiggins will be involved in the trade for Love. Wolves are out of their mind if they think they are getting Wiggins for Love.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,528

Post#23 » by Worm Guts » Mon Jul 7, 2008 3:05 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:

If teams think they're going to go at Love everytime down the court and abuse him, then good luck with that. Love is not the horrible defender everybody wants to believe he is.

They're not going go at Love everytime, they're going to go at Jefferson, Miller, and Foye also. And there's not going to be anyone in the middle to help once opponents have blown past them.
Howler21
Senior
And1: 0

Post#24 » by Howler21 » Mon Jul 7, 2008 3:19 pm

Replace Love with Lopez in this trade and I would have be as happy as could be. Nabbing Mike Miller in this deal was what kept me from burning my house down.
Ojmayo
Banned User
And1: 30

Post#25 » by Ojmayo » Mon Jul 7, 2008 3:43 pm

Howler21 wrote:Replace Love with Lopez in this trade and I would have be as happy as could be. Nabbing Mike Miller in this deal was what kept me from burning my house down.

I dont think thats a fair trade Lopez is'nt as good as Love and we could get more instead of just Lopez and yes Miller also kept me from watching the Minnesota Wild.
Vindicater
General Manager
And1: 423

Post#26 » by Vindicater » Mon Jul 7, 2008 5:15 pm

I would also have liked Lopez instead of Love, but i not dissapointed in Love
"That's why the last two years weren't guaranteed," Walsh said. "Either way, he knew it could have happened either way."
IcemanMN
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#27 » by IcemanMN » Mon Jul 7, 2008 6:48 pm

I hated the Mayo pick without a trade (Mayo=Foye), and I cannot believe we got Love, Miller, AND cap relief in 2010 for one overrated draft pick.
I think you will find that no one has changed their minds about the trade, and won't until we get more information.
Ojmayo
Banned User
And1: 30

Post#28 » by Ojmayo » Mon Jul 7, 2008 7:10 pm

IcemanMN wrote:I hated the Mayo pick without a trade (Mayo=Foye), and I cannot believe we got Love, Miller, AND cap relief in 2010 for one overrated draft pick.
I think you will find that no one has changed their minds about the trade, and won't until we get more information.

Foye=Better then Love
Mayo=Foye

How could you hate the Mayo pick?
We could have drafted Love at the 3. Then we would have no Miller who i think was the big ticket to this trade. I still think Love will be a dissapointment and not live to the expectations but I think Mayo will be rookie of the year while we get stuck with Love.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#29 » by Devilzsidewalk » Mon Jul 7, 2008 7:42 pm

I think an underrated aspect is getting guys that truly want to be here. They've mentioned several times how Miller and Love really wanted to be in Minnesota.

Plus McCants owns Mayo
funkatron101
General Manager
And1: 960

Post#30 » by funkatron101 » Mon Jul 7, 2008 7:56 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:I think an underrated aspect is getting guys that truly want to be here. They've mentioned several times how Miller and Love really wanted to be in Minnesota.

That is the one true positive I think we can all say about this deal.
Lattimer wrote:Cracks me up that people still think that Wiggins will be involved in the trade for Love. Wolves are out of their mind if they think they are getting Wiggins for Love.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#31 » by Devilzsidewalk » Mon Jul 7, 2008 7:58 pm

and personally that was really important to me as far as developing a core you can count on sticking around to develop together ala San Antonio
Vindicater
General Manager
And1: 423

Post#32 » by Vindicater » Tue Jul 8, 2008 6:49 am

OJMAYO,

Mayo wont be rookie of the year. Beasely will (barring injuries)

What about Mayo makes you beleive he can be rookie of the year? He has stiff competetion in Memphis right from the start with Conley/Crittenin/Lowry all there?

Love will be a better rookie then Mayo

Mayo may end up better then Love in three to four seasons (who knows, for all we know Westbrook could end up beng the stud of the group)

Im happy with the trade. the Wolves helped themselves NOW and in the future.
"That's why the last two years weren't guaranteed," Walsh said. "Either way, he knew it could have happened either way."

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves