ImageImageImage

MIN/LAC

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,605

MIN/LAC 

Post#1 » by shrink » Sun Jul 6, 2008 4:27 pm

I've got to admit, I stole this one from a Philly poster, but it would be a fan favorite:

LAC GETS: $1.7 mil TPE (blount)

MIN GETS: Brevin Knight (exp) + rights to Deandre Jordan (pick #35)

WHY FOR LAC: They need cap space right away, to match GSW's offer for Elton Brand. They just got Baron Davis, and while they'd need to find a lesser back-up PG, they could use part of their MLE for that, or maybe see if Sam Cassell would come back, if BOS cuts him lose. However, its a matter of timing, and they need more money under the salary cap right now. Jordan dropped to #35.

WHY FOR MIN: It gets us an experienced back-up PG we can use, who's on an expiring contract. It saves more of our MLE, which we'd have to usepart of if we were to bring back Telfair -- and that may be important depending on what Ryan Gomes is asking. Deandre Jordan can go to Europe, or play in the D-League .. we don't need him this year anyway. I know McHale isn't impressed, and neither is the NBA, but at this price, its worth a shot.
JBoog35
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Re: MIN/LAC 

Post#2 » by JBoog35 » Sun Jul 6, 2008 4:57 pm

Aren't TPE's a 1 for 1 kind of thing? Maybe 1 TPE for Brevin, 1 for Jordan?
"Dude, all I am saying is we already have a starting RB, his name is Chester Taylor. Besides AP isn't that good anyways. I hope we draft McFadden." --Me after he broke the record.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,528

Post#3 » by Worm Guts » Sun Jul 6, 2008 5:01 pm

If the Wolves wanted Deandre Jordan, they would have drafted him.
shrink
RealGM

Post#4 » by shrink » Sun Jul 6, 2008 5:20 pm

JBoog35 wrote:Aren't TPE's a 1 for 1 kind of thing? Maybe 1 TPE for Brevin, 1 for Jordan?

Yes, but its the "rights" to Jordan. I don't believe they've given him a contract yet.

Worm Guts wrote: If the Wolves wanted Deandre Jordan, they would have drafted him.

shrink wrote: I know McHale isn't impressed, and neither is the NBA, but at this price, its worth a shot.

Do you have any ideas for some other small compensation for helping LAC get Brand? It doesn't matter to me whether he's there or in GSW, they are both in the West. Its not enough for the return of our pick, and I wouldn't be willing to trade Collins (exp) for Mobely or Tim Thomas to get the pick back. I also considered BOS 2009 for MIN pick returned, but in our rebuilding mode,we seem to be in a good spot to take a risk on a an unlikely, but high-upside player like Jordan, and if LAC is paying all that money for Baron Davis and Elton Brand, he would be easier for them to deal, since they clearly become a "win now" team.

Personally,
dunkonu21
Lead Assistant
And1: 40

Post#5 » by dunkonu21 » Sun Jul 6, 2008 5:22 pm

Love it.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#6 » by Worm Guts » Sun Jul 6, 2008 5:41 pm

shrink wrote:
I know McHale isn't impressed, and neither is the NBA, but at this price, its worth a shot.

,[/quote]

He had a shot at him at #34 and wanted no part of him. To me, that's says he's not interested at any price.
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Post#7 » by Basti » Sun Jul 6, 2008 6:03 pm

shrink wrote:I've got to admit, I stole this one from a Philly poster, but it would be a fan favorite:

WHY FOR LAC: They need cap space right away, to match GSW's offer for Elton Brand. They just got Baron Davis, and while they'd need to find a lesser back-up PG, they could use part of their MLE for that, or maybe see if Sam Cassell would come back, if BOS cuts him lose. However, its a matter of timing, and they need more money under the salary cap right now. Jordan dropped to #35.

WHY FOR MIN: It gets us an experienced back-up PG we can use, who's on an expiring contract. It saves more of our MLE, which we'd have to usepart of if we were to bring back Telfair -- and that may be important depending on what Ryan Gomes is asking. Deandre Jordan can go to Europe, or play in the D-League .. we don't need him this year anyway. I know McHale isn't impressed, and neither is the NBA, but at this price, its worth a shot.

not that it actually matters to us but isn't it so that if you're under the cap you have no MLE to spend?

personally I'd do that deal in a hearbeat. even if I wouldn't care about getting Jordan I think we'd have a cheap veteran back up pg for Foye
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#8 » by C.lupus » Sun Jul 6, 2008 6:43 pm

Where do I sign? I would absolutely do this even if it is just TPE for Brevin straight up. As for Jordan, even if McHale doesn't like him (and obviously he doesn't), what does it hurt? Sign him to a cheap unguarunteed contract, stick him in the D League for a couple years, and see how he develops. What is there to lose?
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#9 » by Worm Guts » Sun Jul 6, 2008 6:51 pm

C.lupus wrote:Where do I sign? I would absolutely do this even if it is just TPE for Brevin straight up. As for Jordan, even if McHale doesn't like him (and obviously he doesn't), what does it hurt? Sign him to a cheap unguarunteed contract, stick him in the D League for a couple years, and see how he develops. What is there to lose?

There's nothing to lose but it's obvious that McHale no interest. I'm guessing he'd take Brevin Knight alone (if he likes Knight) before he'd take Knight + Jordan.
the_bruce
Analyst
And1: 57

Post#10 » by the_bruce » Sun Jul 6, 2008 6:54 pm

shrink wrote:I've got to admit, I stole this one from a Philly poster, but it would be a fan favorite:

I like it but I can't see the FO buying into it. This addresses our primary 2 concerns athletic big man, backup pg. I could see LAC having some interest in this deal. Knight is meh, and they have Gordon to backup the point. I'd be willing to give jordan a shot for 1.7m I guess. He'd in theory be a great compliment to both Al and Love.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#11 » by Devilzsidewalk » Mon Jul 7, 2008 1:34 pm

actually on re-examination, I don't know if the Wolves aren't interested in Jordan; according to Hoiberg's interview the trade for #34 was agreed to well ahead of the time of the pick. That was his KFAN interview I listened to the day after the draft w/ PA. The Wolves may well have interest, but since they already agreed to the trade ahead of time, they had to go through with it. Maybe they didn't know Jordan would make it that far, I don't know.

Or maybe they didn't want a project center since they expect Pekovic in 2 years.
Carpe Diem
Pro Prospect
And1: 8

Post#12 » by Carpe Diem » Mon Jul 7, 2008 1:36 pm

Not sure why the FO would balk if this deal was available. Knight is better then any FA available, he's an experienced back court player who isn't going to try to save the day with risky play, and costs less then what MN will likely end up paying a back up point guard. As for Jordan, tell him to go to Europe, learn how to play, and see ya in a few. Jordan is not worth a contract right now. He is too big of a risk for a multi-year contract and if for some reason he "gets it" this year he'll command a large salary in 09--Europe is he perfect solution.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#13 » by Worm Guts » Mon Jul 7, 2008 1:48 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:actually on re-examination, I don't know if the Wolves aren't interested in Jordan; according to Hoiberg's interview the trade for #34 was agreed to well ahead of the time of the pick. That was his KFAN interview I listened to the day after the draft w/ PA. The Wolves may well have interest, but since they already agreed to the trade ahead of time, they had to go through with it. Maybe they didn't know Jordan would make it that far, I don't know.

Or maybe they didn't want a project center since they expect Pekovic in 2 years.

I still think if they were interested in Jordan they would have held on to the pick until he was taken. I think it's obvious that they didn't want to add another rookie this offseason.
shrink
RealGM

Post#14 » by shrink » Mon Jul 7, 2008 5:39 pm

Whether we like Jordan or not, he has the chance to develop some value in Europe. It doesn't hurt us at all to pick him up and stash him. If he wants to make it in the NBA, he can work hard to try to develop some value, if not with us as a piece we can trade.

The main idea here is adding a decent back-up PG that knows his role, and is an expiring contract. LAC may be interested in moving him, to get that last bit of money they need to match the GSW offer for Brand.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#15 » by Worm Guts » Mon Jul 7, 2008 5:48 pm

shrink wrote:Whether we like Jordan or not, he has the chance to develop some value in Europe. It doesn't hurt us at all to pick him up and stash him. If he wants to make it in the NBA, he can work hard to try to develop some value, if not with us as a piece we can trade.

Except we already had this opportunity and passed on it. It's not that I don't think there's value in it, it's that McHale has already displayed a lack of interest. If the Wolves pursued a trade of TPE for Knight, I can't see the Wolves asking for him or Clippers volunteering him up.
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#16 » by deeney0 » Mon Jul 7, 2008 5:50 pm

DAJ isn't the type to develop in Europe. He's a D-Leaguer if there ever was one.
shrink
RealGM

Post#17 » by shrink » Mon Jul 7, 2008 6:03 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
shrink wrote:Whether we like Jordan or not, he has the chance to develop some value in Europe. It doesn't hurt us at all to pick him up and stash him. If he wants to make it in the NBA, he can work hard to try to develop some value, if not with us as a piece we can trade.

Except we already had this opportunity and passed on it. It's not that I don't think there's value in it, it's that McHale has already displayed a lack of interest.

Passing on him at the previous price doesn't mean he wouldn't take him for a much cheaper price.

Somebody wants to sell you a taco for $2. You aren't hungry, and instead use your $2 to buy two $2 IOU's. Later, you get the chance to buy a taco for a dime. The previous behavior does not prove you hate tacos, and would never buy one at any price.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#18 » by Worm Guts » Mon Jul 7, 2008 6:26 pm

shrink wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:

Except we already had this opportunity and passed on it. It's not that I don't think there's value in it, it's that McHale has already displayed a lack of interest.

Passing on him at the previous price doesn't mean he wouldn't take him for a much cheaper price.

Somebody wants to sell you a taco for $2. You aren't hungry, and instead use your $2 to buy two $2 IOU's. Later, you get the chance to buy a taco for a dime. The previous behavior does not prove you hate tacos, and would never buy one at any price.

At a cheaper price? The Wolves had a shot at Jordan for the cost of a 2nd round pick, it doesn't get much cheaper than that. It's more like passing on a taco for 50 cents, then gettin a chance to buy it at a quarter. If don't want it for 50 cents, then you probably don't want it.
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#19 » by deeney0 » Mon Jul 7, 2008 6:35 pm

Now I'm hungry.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#20 » by Worm Guts » Mon Jul 7, 2008 6:45 pm