ImageImageImage

MIN/PHI Rumor from both yahoo and ESPN

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Re: MIN/PHI Rumor from both yahoo and ESPN 

Post#81 » by deeney0 » Wed Jul 9, 2008 12:08 am

It'd be hard for Carney not to be better than Green. On offense, maybe, there can be some argument. But Green played crap defense - Carney, from what I understand, is at least respectable on defense.
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,707

Post#82 » by Sixersftw » Wed Jul 9, 2008 12:52 am

hey wolves fan... a gift from the east coast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgssjkrRqA4
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,134

Post#83 » by Calinks » Wed Jul 9, 2008 1:45 am

:rofl:
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Barry Lird
Junior
And1: 0

Post#84 » by Barry Lird » Wed Jul 9, 2008 1:45 am

I like it for Minny. No downside for you guys at all. Maybe Carney develops, maybe he doesn't. Maybe he'll be trade bait. Whatever happens, you get an extra first for a little of your owners cash. What's not to like?

What I see happening in Minny (from a distance, mind you), is that it looks like McHale is making the right moves.

You guys decided that it just wasn't going to happen with KG, and you were probably right. Now, you're stockpiling young talent and draft picks. Al's a keeper, obviously. Gomes is a very nice role player. Some of your young guys? The jury is still out. I suspect that Love will be good. I think you'll use this year to develop guys, and more importantly, start to see who you want to keep for the longer haul.

Seems to me you guys are going a route similar to what Ainge did in Boston. It took a couple of years while we took our lumps with youngins, but I always knew Ainge would cash in at some point. I suspect the same will happen for you guys. Meantime, you have some exciting young players.

I think you guys are on the right track.
T_Van
Junior
And1: 0

Post#85 » by T_Van » Wed Jul 9, 2008 2:19 am

I like this deal. :clap:
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,581

Post#86 » by Klomp » Wed Jul 9, 2008 2:22 am

Another bonus from the deal:

The money allowed Philly to pry Brand from the Clips, making them less lethal. We could be on par with them next year.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,581

Post#87 » by Klomp » Wed Jul 9, 2008 2:27 am

Sixers prospect Rodney Carney and aged center Calvin Booth seem superfluous in a deal that gives the Wolves a first-round pick — top 15 protected in 2009, according to a Wolves source — that Utah sent to Philly last season in the Kyle Korver trade.

http://ww3.startribune.com/blogs/wolves/
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Wingman
Starter
And1: 101

Post#88 » by Wingman » Wed Jul 9, 2008 2:28 am

Win win. Happy to see Brand leave the conference, Clippers and Warriors have gotten worse so far this summer. We got a prospect and a better pick for some of Glen's money. Great trade, not huge but still nice.
casey
General Manager
And1: 7

Post#89 » by casey » Wed Jul 9, 2008 2:35 am

The more I think about it the more I don't like it. It's getting sad how little McHale values 2nd round picks. First he sells one with the Chalmers deal, and now he just gives another one away. Inexcusable.
"I'm Ricky Rubio."
--Ricky Rubio
shrink
RealGM
And1: 13,979

Post#90 » by shrink » Wed Jul 9, 2008 2:43 am

casey wrote:The more I think about it the more I don't like it. It's getting sad how little McHale values 2nd round picks. First he sells one with the Chalmers deal, and now he just gives another one away. Inexcusable.

And I hate the way he keeps adding first rounders. Inexcusable.
casey
General Manager
And1: 7

Post#91 » by casey » Wed Jul 9, 2008 2:49 am

Don't worry shrink, he'll draft a superstar with those picks and then trade him away. He's got a knack for that.
"I'm Ricky Rubio."
--Ricky Rubio
big3_8_19_21
RealGM
And1: 421

Post#92 » by big3_8_19_21 » Wed Jul 9, 2008 2:49 am

casey wrote:The more I think about it the more I don't like it. It's getting sad how little McHale values 2nd round picks. First he sells one with the Chalmers deal, and now he just gives another one away. Inexcusable.

...WHAT? That post is nothing short of idiotic. OK, I don't particularly love the Chalmers deal either, but he traded it for TWO second round picks and cash, he didn't SELL it...and please explain how your brain managed to come to the conclusion that we GAVE a 2nd rounder away? Just because the yahoo article did not tell us that a 2nd rounder was involved doesn't mean that they agreed to TPE for Booth, Carney, 1st and THEN we added a 2nd just for the hell of it. Is that what you THOUGHT happened? Do you not realize that we just traded up from the 2nd round to the 1st and got 2 players that could possible pan out (but if they don't no biggie)? You think this was a BAD deal? I don't understand you. I really don't.
Thriving on mediocrity since '89.
collin_k41
Analyst
And1: 1

Post#93 » by collin_k41 » Wed Jul 9, 2008 2:52 am

Last time I checked we got 2 future 2nds+cash from Miami for Chalmers. If you think 2nds are so valuble then that was one heck of a deal.
TheFranchise21
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#94 » by TheFranchise21 » Wed Jul 9, 2008 3:52 am

If you break it down to:

Carney and Booth for a 2nd

and the TPE for a 1st, its an excellent deal. Carney and Booth are probably better than any one player you can draft in the 2nd round. They're also essentially second rounders themselves since they both have only 1 year contracts.
My Kobe Bryant website I designed myself: http://personal.stthomas.edu/dnnguyen/kb24.
kandiking
Sixth Man

Post#95 » by kandiking » Wed Jul 9, 2008 4:16 am

TheFranchise21 wrote:If you break it down to:

Carney and Booth for a 2nd

and the TPE for a 1st, its an excellent deal. Carney and Booth are probably better than any one player you can draft in the 2nd round. They're also essentially second rounders themselves since they both have only 1 year contracts.

well said. i love this trade, but not as much as the green one.
Vindicater wrote:KWSN-Men is by far my favourite poster on realgm. He just takes so much punishment and just keeps coming back for more.
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 681

Post#96 » by karch34 » Wed Jul 9, 2008 4:27 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Casey was the one saying that two 2nd rounders were better than 1 after the Chalmers deal. So I think the front office values that. To include one in a trade for a 1st is just good business as a 1st has the real value in trades.

We have young players, multiple 1sts, and cap flexibility which are all valuable assets. Beginning year 2 of the rebuilding process, that looks pretty darn good. Does this make us contenders? No. Time and other moves should hopefully address that, but if you look at a rebuilding process that should take about 3 years we're set up nicely.

I'm not expecting miracles this year, but we should see some improvement, plus expirings, picks, and cap flexibilty should allow us to make the deals that make us a contender. It remains to be seen what the next moves are, but it looks like the right path. I think these moves are what we wanted to see in hindsight when building around KG. We never had multiple picks, bad signings ruined the cap, and we really didn't have a lot of youngsters that had potential interest to other teams for deals.
deeney0
RealGM

Post#97 » by deeney0 » Wed Jul 9, 2008 4:32 am

Plenty of rookie point guards have overachieved in summer league, including Foye. Don't go anointing Chalmers just yet.
cpfsf
General Manager
And1: 1,104
Location: sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell

Post#98 » by cpfsf » Wed Jul 9, 2008 4:38 am

:reporter: :reporter: :reporter:

http://www.rakemag.com/blogs/ball/2008/07/a-minor-but-smart-move-by-the-wolves

Carney and Booth make about $2.8 million combined. I've been told by a good authority within the Wolves organization that Philadelphia is likely paying Glen Taylor all but $500,000 of that. Since both players can come off the books the year after this one (Carney has a team option; Booth's deal will expire), the Wolves bought Utah's first round pick next year for a half million bucks (and whatever the teams agree on for Minnesota's end of the bargain).

sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell
deeney0
RealGM

Post#99 » by deeney0 » Wed Jul 9, 2008 4:42 am

Wow, cash is involved too? Damn, I'm shocked the 1st was included too, even though its so protected. Miami paid the Wolves $2 million for #34, and the Wolves get a pick that will likely be somewhere around 2010 #20 for $500,000 PLUS the chance to audition Rodney Carney. Even if he does turn out to be Gerald Green 2.0, the price is right.
Tirion
Assistant Coach
And1: 290

Post#100 » by Tirion » Wed Jul 9, 2008 4:47 am

casey is trolling his own board now, nice!
I remember how portland fans used to come here, talking major trash about Wolves, our FO and KG and now it looks like they finally converted casey!

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves