ImageImageImage

PG

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

ChazzleDazzle
Junior
And1: 1

PG 

Post#1 » by ChazzleDazzle » Tue Jul 8, 2008 2:16 pm

Whether the proposed PHI/MN deal goes down or not, we're awfully light at the 1.

If we don't resign Telfair, what are our options? I have a feeling our #3 point will end up coming off the summer league team, but the #2 could be someone like:

Telfair
Jannero Pargo
Carlos Arroyo
Keyon Dooling

Could also go for an older vet like:
Anthony Carter
Darrell Armstrong
Tyronne Lue
Damon Staudamire

Finally, one guy I'd like to see them go after, particularly now that the Knicks have used the MLE, is Randolph Morris. Only 22, good size. Worth a shot, I think.

Thoughts?
funkatron101 wrote:Yes Jungle is a word.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,411

Re: PG 

Post#2 » by shrink » Tue Jul 8, 2008 3:47 pm

This is a concern for me as well. I am definitely hoping that we can get Telfair back cheaply, and I was happy to see Hinrich removing one Telfair suitor.

I think we need to wait a week to see on Telfair, just for bigger FA's to fall, and for us to decide how much of the MLE we'd need for Ryan Gomes. If Telfair is too expensive, it might be more likely that we work some kind of trade, perhaps involving McCants. I haven't worked on that much, except for the TPE for Brevin Knight deal, which looks now like a non-starter.
dunkonu21
Lead Assistant
And1: 40

Post#3 » by dunkonu21 » Tue Jul 8, 2008 5:29 pm

You mean Duhon?
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#4 » by chrbal » Tue Jul 8, 2008 5:39 pm

Randolph Morris is garbage. If you really want him, just invite him to summer league. Thats what the Celtics did.

I'd offer Telfair a two year contract (maybe 3) and then move on, if he doesn't take it.
mayorhoiberg
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#5 » by mayorhoiberg » Tue Jul 8, 2008 5:58 pm

I'd be really happy going into the season with a PG depth chart like this:

1. Randy Foye
Simple enough. We already have him.

2. Sebastian Telfair/ Kyle Lowry / Javaris Crittenton
Either re-sign Telfair for $2m-ish, or trade (Carney or Smith) for Lowry or Crittenton.
They all seem like good, pass-first, second-tier options at PG.

3. Drew Neitzel / Blake Ahearn
Signing a young guard off of our summer league roster would be just fine to me.
wolves_fan_82au
Assistant Coach
And1: 32

Post#6 » by wolves_fan_82au » Tue Jul 8, 2008 6:39 pm

stoudimire would be awesome ,ive been a huge fan since hes rookie year
teams supporting
NBA-Minnesota t-wolves
NHL-Toronto Mapleleafs
NFL-Miami Dolphins
MLB-???
Others:Wests Tigers,Leeds United,Schalke,VVV,Sydney Kings,Tatsuma Ito
Howler21
Senior

Post#7 » by Howler21 » Tue Jul 8, 2008 6:43 pm

wolves_fan_82au wrote:stoudimire would be awesome ,ive been a huge fan since hes rookie year

Looked pretty worn out after the first few games with the spurs so im not sure how much he has left. I would be getting him though, could help out Foye and as you said would have one of my favorites from back in the day to cheer on as a wolf.
JBoog35
Pro Prospect

Post#8 » by JBoog35 » Wed Jul 9, 2008 4:02 am

I really like Carlos Arroyo, Telfair, Pargo... but the more I think about it, the more I assure myself, we have enough offensive spark off the bench and these guys are offensive spark guys. The thing we lack is perimeter D... WE NEED A Tye Lue, or someone like him. A good defender, agitator type of player. I make a motion for Tye Lue.
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#9 » by deeney0 » Wed Jul 9, 2008 4:14 am

I wouldn't mind pulling a Duhon on Telfair and Gomes - overpay them so they'll accept two year contracts, leaving the Wolves free to do whatever they like during the 2010 offseason. I don't think either is work $4.5 mil per, but on two year deals I wouldn't really care.
ChazzleDazzle
Junior
And1: 1

Post#10 » by ChazzleDazzle » Wed Jul 9, 2008 5:11 am

JBoog

I agree, actually. I like both Pargo and Arroyo quite a lot, but if we can bring in a vet who can play solid d (and by extension, teach Foye some tricks) its much more effective.

Lue works. What about Anthony Carter or Darrell Armstrong. Older, certainly, but hard nosed. Might be a good influence.

I think, long term, my choice would be Arroyo regardless (in the off chance that Foye struggles at the point this year and has to move to the 2 long term) but I'd be happy with:

1 - Foye/Carter/Neitzel
2 - Miller/McCants/Carney
3 - Gomes/Brewer/Cardinal
4 - Jefferson/Madsen/Richard
5 - Love/Collins/Booth

(swap Jefferson and Love if you like)

Gives us experience, scoring, defense and size off the bench...
funkatron101 wrote:Yes Jungle is a word.
the_bruce
Analyst
And1: 57

Post#11 » by the_bruce » Wed Jul 9, 2008 5:16 am

Lue would be great imo
GopherIt!
RealGM
And1: 24,123

Post#12 » by GopherIt! » Wed Jul 9, 2008 8:40 am

if we could somehow pull off a Carney for Lowry deal I would be very happy.
I like Kyle more than Bassy.
johnny_sack
Ballboy

Post#13 » by johnny_sack » Wed Jul 9, 2008 1:15 pm

Hey peeps - long time lurker here...

This whole PG situation (as it develops) isn't made any better with the play (thus far) of "SuperNintendo Chalmers" with the Heat. I know that it's summer L (so there's not a heap to read into it) - but the potential for a (in retrospect) regrettable trade is looking like a possibility...

Will be exciting/frustrating to see how he pans out...

What's Chris Quinn - Miami's 3rd string PG last year up to???

Post Check: He's an RFA - made ~$600k last year - i'd suggest he could easily triple (okay - rush of blood - change to: easily DOUBLE) that... he played some pretty good games last year, seems to be a pretty decent shooter, and takes decent care of the ball ~3-1 A-TO ratio... I'd say at the right price he'd definitely be worth a crack as our 2nd PG... If he doesn't work out it's no biggie - but if he does the risk/return tradoff is pretty attractive... Miami might have a problem at PG given Chalmers (who they are willing to overpay), Banks (stuck with him) and Quinn (who made a pretty convincing claim to be a full time backup PG last year - thus won't be coming cheap - not $400 k and $600 k like the last 2 seasons...)... Yeah Miami were a 15 win team last year, but were in tank mode so we can surely cut him some slack...

Post Check 2: Miami made a qualifying offer at the minimum ~800k - i see that as a low-ball offer - surely he's worth more than that on potential alone... Would flicking an additional 400k on top of that do it or would other teams be on him as well - in some respects i like him better than Bassy (the shooting obviously being the main one, and the potential price)...
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#14 » by Devilzsidewalk » Wed Jul 9, 2008 2:10 pm

on that list, all the vets are gonna be chasing chips and the younger ones are gunners
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,823

Post#15 » by Klomp » Wed Jul 9, 2008 6:01 pm

McHale says he ideally wants to get another combo guard and another point.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Ojmayo
Banned User
And1: 30

Post#16 » by Ojmayo » Wed Jul 9, 2008 6:30 pm

klomp44 wrote:McHale says he ideally wants to get another combo guard and another point.

Dont get your hopes up Mchale wont be doing a good thing for another 4 years.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves