Who will be worse than Minnesota next season

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

cpfsf
General Manager
And1: 1,104
Location: sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell

Who will be worse than Minnesota next season 

Post#1 » by cpfsf » Tue Jul 8, 2008 11:45 pm

Not the most optimistic thread, but just to get an idea of our 2009 Draft odds and if how much we improved compared to other teams.

Definitely worse...
Memphis
Oklahoma City
New York

maybe worse...
New Jersey
Indiana

I am predicting the 5th worst record in the NBA (hopefully we move up in the draft). We will win more games, but so will other teams.

I can't stop calling them the Seattle Supersonics, and I live in Oklahoma City :lol:

sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell
All Day
Sophomore
And1: 3

Re: Who will be worse than Minnesota next season 

Post#2 » by All Day » Wed Jul 9, 2008 12:01 am

Kind of hard to say with FA signings still looming..

But I'm sure we will have more wins than SEA next season because MIN will be able to muster at least one win... :wink:

I'd have to agree with you on MEM and OKC. I'm iffy on NYK with new coach and all.. IND and NJ are hard to peg.

All I can really give right now would be a best/worst case.

Best: 10th worst record (with a sizeable gap between MIN and the playoff contenders, and barely edging #9,#8,etc.)

Worst: 3rd worst record
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#3 » by deeney0 » Wed Jul 9, 2008 12:33 am

I think you're a bit too pessimistic for the Wolves or optimistic for other teams. 35 wins ought to put the Wolves about 7th, 8th, 9th worst team in the league. If Wolves play like they did the 2nd half of last season, even without the improvement the trade brought, that puts them at about 35 wins. I think the following teams all COULD be worse:

East:
Miami
New York
Charlotte
Chicago
New Jersey
Indiana
Atlanta (if Smith bolts)

West:
Oklahoma City
Memphis
Sacramento
Golden State
Portland (call me a hater)

That's 12 teams. I'm sure some of them will be better than the Wolves, but I bet at least 6 teams off that list finish worse than the Wolves.
Gopherguy
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#4 » by Gopherguy » Wed Jul 9, 2008 12:44 am

I don't see how the Clippers could not be worse if they lose both Brand and Maggette and only land Davis. sacramento and Golden State are not improving either. So I see us 4th in the NW division behind Utah, Denver and Portland. With Memphis, Sacramento, Clippers and maybe GS with worse records than us.
GopherIt!
RealGM
And1: 24,123

Post#5 » by GopherIt! » Wed Jul 9, 2008 12:50 am

Portland fans. But they take those honors every year.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,392

Post#6 » by shrink » Wed Jul 9, 2008 2:06 am

Its a great question, but a really hard call at this point in the season? Who would have thought last year that the Miami Heat would have the worst record in the whole NBA? Or BOS the best?

In the west, if Brand goes to PHI tomorrow, I think that GSW and LAC are both less talented than last year. SAC seems to be spinning its wheels, and MEM isn't ready. It seems to me that POR and DEN might be competing for that last play-off spot, but I'd bet one of the other seven teams from last year will face some sort of adversity that knocks them out. I'm anxious to see the deals over the next month.
cpfsf
General Manager

Post#7 » by cpfsf » Wed Jul 9, 2008 2:28 am

Gopherguy wrote:I don't see how the Clippers could not be worse if they lose both Brand and Maggette and only land Davis. sacramento and Golden State are not improving either. So I see us 4th in the NW division behind Utah, Denver and Portland. With Memphis, Sacramento, Clippers and maybe GS with worse records than us.

The Clippers are more experienced, Kaman & Thornton improved a lot, and they added Davis and Gordon. Brand wasn't there for them last season, so it really is no different for them this season (he only played 8 games, and they were 1-7 with him). All they really lost from last season was Maggette, but still they added Davis (and they still can bring in FA's).

Sacramento will probably stay the same because they didn't change (38 wins last season).

Too soon to tell with GS, depends on what they do during the offseason

sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell
the_bruce
Analyst
And1: 57

Post#8 » by the_bruce » Wed Jul 9, 2008 2:38 am

I think both Dallas and PHX took a step back with their trades at the end of the year.

DEN made no improvements.

GSW got worse.

LAC improved, they didn't have brand all of last year. Kaman played well. Thornton can replace maggette. Baron is an upgrade. Gordon is an improvement.

Spurs didn't improve and lost role players.

POR is better for sure

Wolves made lots of improvements and played .400 ball after foye took over the point.

LAL and NOH are only locks in my mind.

All the other teams in the west are meh?
deeney0
RealGM

Post#9 » by deeney0 » Wed Jul 9, 2008 3:21 am

LAC still has space to spend, too. They could try for some of the restricted free agents. (Okafor, Josh Smith, Deng Iggy as revenge?)
JBoog35
Pro Prospect

Post#10 » by JBoog35 » Wed Jul 9, 2008 4:12 am

Gopherguy wrote:I don't see how the Clippers could not be worse if they lose both Brand and Maggette and only land Davis. sacramento and Golden State are not improving either. So I see us 4th in the NW division behind Utah, Denver and Portland. With Memphis, Sacramento, Clippers and maybe GS with worse records than us.

Because Brand really didn't play last year... so nothing really changes from last year. Maggette sure, but picked up the scoring in Baron Davis. That team is also still in the hunt for Josh Smith, other players... I think people under value Baron Davis too much, I think he is a better player than Brand, and more of a factor come fourth quarter. Brand is a get his kind of guy, he can't dominate the way Davis can. I will go out on a limb and say Clippers aren't in the bottom 5 this season.
Wingman
Starter
And1: 101

Post#11 » by Wingman » Wed Jul 9, 2008 4:25 am

I think we will end up somewhere between 9th and 11th worse without injuries.
DmoneyH3
Pro Prospect
And1: 1

Post#12 » by DmoneyH3 » Wed Jul 9, 2008 7:04 am

deeney0 wrote:I think you're a bit too pessimistic for the Wolves or optimistic for other teams. 35 wins ought to put the Wolves about 7th, 8th, 9th worst team in the league. If Wolves play like they did the 2nd half of last season, even without the improvement the trade brought, that puts them at about 35 wins. I think the following teams all COULD be worse:

East:
Miami
New York
Charlotte
Chicago
New Jersey
Indiana
Atlanta (if Smith bolts)

West:
Oklahoma City
Memphis
Sacramento
Golden State
Portland (call me a hater)

That's 12 teams. I'm sure some of them will be better than the Wolves, but I bet at least 6 teams off that list finish worse than the Wolves.

Lay off the crack buddy..im a kobe hater too but at least can recognize he is the best player in the nba
GopherIt!
RealGM
And1: 24,123

Post#13 » by GopherIt! » Wed Jul 9, 2008 8:18 am

^
What's up Dmoney?

I always think Brian from Family Guy doing "Peanut Butter Jelly Time" when I see your dancing banana avatar. I wish more of the POR posters were as easy to get along with as you man. Peace.
cpfsf
General Manager

Post#14 » by cpfsf » Wed Jul 9, 2008 6:41 pm

Wingman wrote:I think we will end up somewhere between 9th and 11th worse without injuries.

I doubt we will get the 9th, 10th, or 11th worst record this season for this reason alone. Check M&M's stats, no not Mike Miller, I am talking about Mark Madsen.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore;_ylt=Arm_eLZeJI3SR8FGZ4fJH0KkvLYF?gid=2006041916

___
There is no 'ctrl' button on Mark Madsen's computer. Mark Madsen is always in control.

mayorhoiberg
Sophomore

Post#15 » by mayorhoiberg » Wed Jul 9, 2008 6:55 pm

Check out Brian Cardinal's stats in that ^^ game!

Almost a triple double for our boy!
Ojmayo
Banned User
And1: 30

Post#16 » by Ojmayo » Wed Jul 9, 2008 7:10 pm

mayorhoiberg wrote:Check out Brian Cardinal's stats in that ^^ game!

Almost a triple double for our boy!

Thats one game. I hope he could do that good or atleast 9 boards and 10 points. That would be amazing.
Tirion
Assistant Coach
And1: 290

Post#17 » by Tirion » Wed Jul 9, 2008 7:20 pm

cpfsf wrote:
Wingman wrote:I think we will end up somewhere between 9th and 11th worse without injuries.

I doubt we will get the 9th, 10th, or 11th worst record this season for this reason alone. Check M&M's stats, no not Mike Miller, I am talking about Mark Madsen.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore;_ylt=Arm_eLZeJI3SR8FGZ4fJH0KkvLYF?gid=2006041916

___
There is no 'ctrl' button on Mark Madsen's computer. Mark Madsen is always in control.

damn, that's an ugly line-up
Gus McCrae
General Manager
And1: 2,004

Post#18 » by Gus McCrae » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:46 pm

Hey guys,

I'd wanted to chime in somewhere on your board. I'm big Jefferson fan and being from southern california, I think you'll be very pleased with kevin love.

I think your team should be very good this year. I was suprised that many of you don't like the K.Love & Mike Miller for Mayo trade... you guys desperately needed another PF/C and Mike Miller?! that's a pretty nice proven player, Olympian I believe to add to your roster. Put those two with Foye and Big Al and you've got a solid 4 right there.

anyways, good luck next year. I want to see you guys whoop some ass.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,392

Post#19 » by shrink » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:53 pm

Bracey Wright leading all scorers on Bizzaro World.
invno1
Starter

Post#20 » by invno1 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:52 pm

Playoff Team

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves