ImageImageImage

I won't be Shocked if Gomes is Traded

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,388

I won't be Shocked if Gomes is Traded 

Post#1 » by shrink » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:56 pm

I put this up on the Trade Board, and thought it might be worth discussing over here.

shrink wrote:Many of my fellow Wolves fans may disagree with me, but I think we may see a S&T with Ryan Gomes. I think the front office really likes him, and so do the fans. He plays hard-nosed, no matter what he's asked to do, and he brought a lot of poise last year to a young team that desperately needed it. However, if we do sign him, I'm sure the argument is over the length of the contract.

Gomes was a reliable 17 PPG, 7 RPG near the end of last season when he started regularly. However, his minutes could very likely begin to disappear, since Al and Love could both use minutes at PF, and Miller, Carney and Brewer could use minutes at SF. We don't know how these players are going to develop, and as much as I like Gomes, he doesn't have the ceiling of those guys. Any deal going past two years is very dangerous, for a good player that may be spending a lot of time on the bench.

Finding a home for Gomes in a S&T might not be difficult, depending on the contract. Off the top of my head, I think PHO could use him in the Grant Hill role -- perhaps moving the long, but fair contract of Barbosa as part of the deal. New Orleans would probably be interested, providing a lot of minutes and security for the injury-prone Peja. They don't have much to offer except a disappointing Hilton Armstrong or maybe the promising, but slow-to-develop Julian Wright. Maybe the Nets would take a look with the departure of Richard Jefferson, and they have several smaller pieces that could help us (young bigs, Marcus Williams at PG)
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Re: I won't be Shocked if Gomes is Traded 

Post#2 » by Devilzsidewalk » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:04 pm

I'm pretty attached to Gomes, I'd be sad to see him go in any capacity. But I think its either him or McCants thats gonna go. Maybe both.
Winter Wonder
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#3 » by Winter Wonder » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:25 pm

Hate to say it, but can definitely see this being the case. There just are not enough minutes from 2-4 with the players we have assembled.

Foye / Telfair or FA
McCants / Brewer / Carney / Miller
Miller / Brewer / Carney / Gomes / Cardinal
Jefferson / Love / Gomes / Richards / Madsen
Love / Jefferson / Collins / Boothe / Richards

That's 13 different players with many roles they can play and minutes to fight for. Craig Smith could still be thrown into the mix as well, and we would probably add another combo guard or 3rd string PG.

Without moving McCants (or the recently picked up Carney) to add available minutes at the 2 for Brewer / Miller / Carney if he is not traded; there just isn't time or space for Gomes it would appear.

Sadly, I have started to want to hold onto McCants a little longer to see if his value will improve and see how he has improved. This is sad due to minutes we won't have for everyone else since McCants will deserve some court time.

While roster space-wise we can bring Gomes back, minutes-wise we are in trouble for these positions unless Carney or even Brewer have a reduced role to begin with next season.
Wingman
Starter
And1: 101

Post#4 » by Wingman » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:52 pm

A sign and trade for a two year deal and a draft pick would be nice, in my opinion. The team doesn't seem to mind taking on bad deals as long as they only span two years.
Kestrel
Ballboy

Post#5 » by Kestrel » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:56 pm

How much more value does Gomes have, relative to Craig Smith? We clearly have to at least consider moving one of them for someone capable of playing the point. Foye / "Telfair or FA" is a scary, scary depth chart line.

It's much easier to imagine Gomes moving to a Phoenix-level team and carving out minutes. If we had to continue using one of them from the bench at a reasonable cost, Smith might fit that better: Gary Trent, redux.

If we do find ourselves sending Ryan Gomes away, I wish the guy the best. He's a mensch. Future head coach material, at his age.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#6 » by Devilzsidewalk » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:48 pm

if you put a taser to my sack, this is the lineup I'd do as of today:

C Love
PF Jefferson
SF Miller
SG McCants
PG Foye
6 Gomes
7 Brewer
8 FA vet PG
9 Richard
10 Carney
11 Collins
12 Cardinal
13 Madsen
14 3rd PG

Gomes subs for Love and Jefferson moves to center, Brewer subs for McCants. Carney has to earn minutes, everybody else is injury protection. FA PG could be Telfair I suppose. Craig Smith goes to a team w/ more minutes and better opportunity. Booth is bought out. Mad Dog and Cardinal keep spirits high.

IF (notice the size of that 'if', its big) Brewer can come in looking like he's ready to be what we drafted him to be, then he could start and McCants can be the bench punch as the offense off the bench looks a bit soft.
mayorhoiberg
Sophomore

Post#7 » by mayorhoiberg » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:53 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:if you put a taser to my sack, this is the lineup I'd do as of today:

C Love
PF Jefferson
SF Miller
SG McCants
PG Foye
6 Gomes
7 Brewer
8 Kyle Lowry - S&T Craig Smith makes so much sense here.
9 Richard
10 Carney
11 Collins
12 Cardinal
13 Madsen
14 Blake Ahearn

Gomes subs for Love and Jefferson moves to center, Brewer subs for McCants. Carney has to earn minutes, everybody else is injury protection. FA PG could be Telfair I suppose. Craig Smith goes to a team w/ more minutes and better opportunity. Booth is bought out. Mad Dog and Cardinal keep spirits high.

IF (notice the size of that 'if', its big) Brewer can come in looking like he's ready to be what we drafted him to be, then he could start and McCants can be the bench punch as the offense off the bench looks a bit soft.

Helped you out with who those 2 holes could/should be.
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 685

Post#8 » by karch34 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:22 pm

I'm pretty much down with that plan Devilz. I understand the team might not want to overpay Gomes but at the same time this team is largely unproven. The only players that are legitimately better than Gomes at the forward spots are Jefferson and Miller(both of whom can play another position).

I've always liked Carney and have my fingers crossed on Brewer developing.That said I don't know if a high character, good defender, 15 and 7 type guy should just be moved just to give a young player more minutes. Not saying that developing young players isn't important, but I think getting Gomes in the KG deal was a huge coup and I'd hate to just give that up. McCants developing falls into this somewhat as well as Brewer, Miller, and Carney playing SG does impact the SF minutes.
4ho5ive
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Post#9 » by 4ho5ive » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:56 pm

I would love to keep Gomes. I really think we should, but with the roster as it is and the fact that McHale was talking about wanting to bring in a swiss army knife-esque player to play 1-2-3, it doesnt help out Gomes' case. Id rather have em then deal em.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#10 » by Devilzsidewalk » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:57 pm

mayorhoiberg wrote:
Helped you out with who those 2 holes could/should be.

yes, that Smith/Lowry trade would be perfect

I'll have to take your word on Ahearn
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#11 » by C.lupus » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:10 pm

I'd like to give Collins a shot playing next to Al and Love before relegating him to the 11th spot on the roster. If he can provide a big body, some good defense, and the ability to score with the occassional put-back or dump off for 22 mpg, then that's all we really need.

C - Collins/Jefferson/Love
PF - Jefferson/Love/Gomes
SF - Miller/Gomes/Carney/Brewer
SG - Brewer/McCants
PG - Foye/FA (Lowry - yes, please)

Please don't hold a taser to my sack, though.
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#12 » by deeney0 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:12 pm

I have a hard time seeing a situation where Gomes is s&t. How often do s&t happen for a guy getting a contract like Gomes is going to get? Very, very rarely. Teams, both teams, prefer that he just be signed. The team signing Gomes isn't going to want to give up any value for him, and the Wolves don't want to take back crap. Much more likely a team will overpay and dare the Wolves to match. I hope the Wolves don't match. I'd like Gomes on this team, but not for most of the MLE (if it's longer than 2 years. He can have $5 mil/year for all I care if its a 2 year contract.)

And there's no way McCants starts next to Miller. If they play 30 minutes a game together, Wolves are going to be giving up 125 points on good nights.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#13 » by Devilzsidewalk » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:25 pm

C.lupus wrote:I'd like to give Collins a shot playing next to Al and Love before relegating him to the 11th spot on the roster. If he can provide a big body, some good defense, and the ability to score with the occassional put-back or dump off for 22 mpg, then that's all we really need.

What about Chris Richard though? I'd play him before Collins. I thought he gave some really good minutes last year, and he's ready for a more consistent role.

deeney0 wrote:And there's no way McCants starts next to Miller. If they play 30 minutes a game together, Wolves are going to be giving up 125 points on good nights.

But we'd score like 175. I love McCants, I don't care what anybody says. Miller is a guaranteed starter. If Gomes starts, Miller is at SG where he's far less effective and more of a defensive liability. If Brewer starts, everybody is gonna sag off on him, he has to show his offense is 100% improved before he gets that kinda role. Carney is a wildcard, he could potentially start if he picks things up fast. If he earns it, more power to him.

All in all, McCants is the most realistic choice in my eyes.
mayorhoiberg
Sophomore

Post#14 » by mayorhoiberg » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:48 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:But we'd score like 175. I love McCants, I don't care what anybody says. Miller is a guaranteed starter. If Gomes starts, Miller is at SG where he's far less effective and more of a defensive liability. If Brewer starts, everybody is gonna sag off on him, he has to show his offense is 100% improved before he gets that kinda role. Carney is a wildcard, he could potentially start if he picks things up fast. If he earns it, more power to him.

All in all, McCants is the most realistic choice in my eyes.

Agreed completely. I seem to recall a lineup with Brewer starting was proposed to Hoiberg a couple weeks ago and he was quick to praise McCants, almost as if to suggest he will be the starting 2.

Either way, I think starting McCants is best, especially over Brewer RIGHT AWAY.

I'll have to take your word on Ahearn

I don't have much of a "word" on Ahearn other than this:

If we resign Telfair or pick up Lowry somehow, we're set for backup. I see either Ahearn or Neitzel as a lock to be our third string PG (unless McHale somehow finds his 1/2/3 combo he's looking for)

We don't really need much out of the 3rd PG (barring injury)... Both Ahearn or Neitzel's strengths are speed and shooting, and Ahearn is a sick, sick shooter. If i remember right he led the NCAA in free throw shooting a couple years and he won the D-League Rookie of the Year last year.

He played a few games for the Heat last year, too, so he's got a bit of NBA experience to boot.
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 685

Post#15 » by karch34 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:16 pm

deeney0 wrote:I have a hard time seeing a situation where Gomes is s&t. How often do s&t happen for a guy getting a contract like Gomes is going to get? Very, very rarely. Teams, both teams, prefer that he just be signed. The team signing Gomes isn't going to want to give up any value for him, and the Wolves don't want to take back crap.

Agree. However with the luxury tax it's not out of the question. If a team is close to the luxury tax and is interested in Gomes for maybe $3-4 million/year (hypothetically saying that's more than MN would want to pay) then they might be interested in moving a similarly priced player to MN so that they're cap situation is neutral. Of course that player would have to have a significant value to MN and not so much to the team trading him. Of course who that team is and what the player would be is the question. I do think that Smith (S&T) for Lowry is one of those that fits for both teams.
the_bruce
Analyst
And1: 57

Post#16 » by the_bruce » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:54 pm

Guys who could be in his range 3-5m that wouldnt fit at all here:
Sasha Pavlovic (doesnt make much sense either side)
Chuck Atkins (meh?)
Ammo? (ammo to MN rumor from draft time)
Kapono? (didnt work to well in TOR, I think gomes would be great alongside bosh + JO)

Gives mn sick 3pt shooting?
Al
Love
Kapono
Miller
Foye
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#17 » by Devilzsidewalk » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:57 pm

Kapono can't hold Gomes' jock
the_bruce
Analyst
And1: 57

Post#18 » by the_bruce » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:06 pm

agree

I wonder if there are any FA out there that would fit ok here and we do a s&t of gomes for a s&t of x for 2 years?
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#19 » by Devilzsidewalk » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:14 pm

nah, lets just keep Gomes
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#20 » by C.lupus » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:24 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:What about Chris Richard though? I'd play him before Collins. I thought he gave some really good minutes last year, and he's ready for a more consistent role.

I just want one player in the rotation taller than 6'9". Is that so wrong?

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves