Could Gomes go to Cle?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

casey
General Manager
And1: 7

Re: Could Gomes go to Cle? 

Post#41 » by casey » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:55 am

Shrunk wrote:
shrink wrote:I disagree. Gomes may be worth $5 mil to them, but I don't know if he's worth $10 mil. They'd be better off trying to trade for him financially. And even if you argue that they didn't care about the money, this would still leave THEIR MLE available to pick up another player.

I concur

When did this become rubechat?
"I'm Ricky Rubio."
--Ricky Rubio
Tirion
Assistant Coach
And1: 290

Post#42 » by Tirion » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:09 am

Gomes > Brewer
we need to sign him. 'nuff said.
prefuse73
Sixth Man
And1: 44

Post#43 » by prefuse73 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:49 pm

Brewer just needs to do what Monta Ellis did last year and take everything to the rack (granted, he needs to work on his finishing skills). He is lightning quick player with great height. He will normally draw the other teams worst wing defender and will probably have a height advantage on them. If he can develop a spot up three that would be nice. We do really need his defense. That being said, if he does not make strides this year, I think the FO has to look at drafting a potential replacement. I think Carney's arrival is also meant to force some progress.

I think Gomes cerainly should stay and split time with Brewer at the 3 and emergency minutes only at the 4. I never really noticed, but how is Gomes at defending the 3. If he is at least decent, he should start, but if his quickness is lacking...Brewer should get the nod.
dunkonu21
Lead Assistant
And1: 40

Post#44 » by dunkonu21 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:41 pm

If Brewer took everything to the rack he'd be fouled out by halftime and have 10 turnovers on top of that. Brewer and Monta Ellis are not in the same class of athleticism. Brewer is out of control on offense, can't dribble and makes bad decisions. I think he was trying to be an all-star in the summer league and he didn't trust his teammates. That is why he has been sooo horrible. Hopefully he'll be better when he gets around the real team who he knows a little bit better than the Pooh Jeter's of the world.
Mcfale313
Bench Warmer
And1: 42

Post#45 » by Mcfale313 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:58 pm

on wiretap now

looks like gomes to cle is in the work

http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wireta ... cleveland/

I hope its a S&T involved if we do decide to let him walk
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,917

Post#46 » by Klomp » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:17 pm

Damon Jones and Dwayne Jones anyone?
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#47 » by deeney0 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:29 pm

I don't hope it's NOT a sign and trade. There's not much there I'm interested in that they'd be willing to give up. Taking back Snow is like paying waaaay too much for a first round pick. Damon Jones is not what this team needs.

But a 2 year deal at any size is at least worthy of a discussion about matching. I think they'd need to make it three years to make certain it isn't matched.
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,598

Post#48 » by jpatrick » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:05 pm

I don't think Cleveland would do a sign and trade. If they want him, I think they'd just sign him and force us to match. If it's full MLE, I think we would match if it's only two years. We'd keep him as an "asset" (we could trade later if we want) and keep our cap room for 2010. Anything longer than two years I really question whether we match.

If it is a sign and trade, how about Verejao. I'd like him as my backup center over Collins and he has a fairly friendly contract...about 5.5m this year with a player option in 09.
Smooth32
Lead Assistant
And1: 4

Post#49 » by Smooth32 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:46 pm

Cavs aren't going to give up anything of value for Gomes. The most we'd give up is Jones, Snow or Pavlovic. Gomes would be a nice player but not at the price you guys are thinking. He's a combo forward for us and our strongest spots are PF and SF, so giving up a West, Varejao, 1st round pick, etc., isn't going to happen.

Snow would be feasible. The guy is going to retire, so you'd get that money off your books and a nice little exception.
Wingman
Starter
And1: 101

Post#50 » by Wingman » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:49 pm

Gomes isn't worth the MLE, but for only two seasons I'd do it. In our current situation, I don't think any 2 year deal is bad. It's not like we'd spend the money earlier, and if they have one bad season they are already an expiring contract.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,603

Post#51 » by shrink » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:33 am

Smooth32 wrote:Cavs aren't going to give up anything of value for Gomes. The most we'd give up is Jones, Snow or Pavlovic. Gomes would be a nice player but not at the price you guys are thinking. He's a combo forward for us and our strongest spots are PF and SF, so giving up a West, Varejao, 1st round pick, etc., isn't going to happen.

Snow would be feasible. The guy is going to retire, so you'd get that money off your books and a nice little exception.

LOL. So you think we should sign Gomes and trade him (at BYC, no less), add the salary this year, to have Snow?!?

The reason CLE would prefer to make a trade, rather than just use the MLE on Gomes, is because, since you're over the lux, it would be better to just swap some salary than add $5 mil, then double it. However, if you're going to trade, you have to offer something worth the salary MIN would take on, otherwise MIN simply avoids signing him at all.
Smooth32
Lead Assistant
And1: 4

Post#52 » by Smooth32 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:48 am

Snow's salary won't be on the books this year. Once he retires his salary will come off the books and we'll get a nice TE (3.7 mil). I've talked about on other Cavs boards, I know what's going to happen.
shrink
RealGM

Post#53 » by shrink » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:28 am

Smooth32 wrote:Snow's salary won't be on the books this year. Once he retires his salary will come off the books and we'll get a nice TE (3.7 mil). I've talked about on other Cavs boards, I know what's going to happen.

Are you talking about getting a disabled played exception, and not the salary cap relief associated with a retiring player? We're certainly not talking about trade exceptions (TE), right? Here's what Larry Coon has to say:

Larry Coon wrote: 53. How do retired players count against the cap?

Any money paid to a player is included in team salary, even if the player has retired. For example, James Worthy retired in 1994, two years before his contract ended. He continued to receive his salary for the 1994-95 and 1995-96 seasons, so his salary was included in the Lakers' team salary in those seasons. It is at the team's discretion (or as the result of an agreement between the team and player) whether to continue to pay the player after he has retired.

There is one exception whereby a player can continue to receive his salary, but the salary is not included in the team's team salary. This is when a player is forced to retire for medical reasons and a league-appointed physician confirms that he is medically unfit to continue playing. There is a waiting period of one year following the injury or illness before a team can apply for this salary cap relief. If the waiting period expires mid-season (on any date prior to the last day of the regular season), then the player's entire salary for that season is removed from the team's team salary. For example, in March 2003 the Knicks were allowed to remove Luc Longley's entire 2002-03 salary from their books (and since the luxury tax is based on the team salary as of the last day of the regular season, the Knicks avoided paying any tax on Longley's salary). This provision can also be used when a player dies while under contract.

Teams are not allowed to trade for disabled players and then apply for this salary cap relief. Only the team for which the player was playing when he was disabled may request this relief.

If a player retires, even for medical reasons, his team does not receive a salary cap exception to acquire a replacement player.
shrink
RealGM

Post#54 » by shrink » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:06 am

So there's three ways a Gomes trade could work .. all of them difficult with Gomes BYC status. MIN simply doesn't have a lot of tradable pieces they can (or would) combine with Gomes.

1. Gomes alone.

As a BYC, CLE would need to use something that is close to half of Gomes salary, then add vet min players. The only thing that works is Gomes with a deal around $5 mil, Delonte West at the QO ($2.76 mil), plus the non-guaranteed contracts of Billy Thomas and Lance Aldred. As vet-min deals, they are counted going out for CLE (to match Gomes real salary), but aren't counting coming in (to match MIN's half-valuation of Gomes). MIN would give cash.

For MIN: They add the salary of Delonte West at the QO.

FOR CLE: They add Gomes $5 mil, but lose a valued player in West. They cut down on the doubling because of they are over the lux, or else they can retain their MLE and add a different PG.

I don't think this is likely, though it may be better than paying Gomes in a S&T alone, and doubling all that money. CLE would have to have a lot of confidence that Gibson can start at PG, and play very well, with only Damon Jones as a back-up

2. Gomes (at $4 mil) + Madsen or McCants.

To salary match, CLE needs to land on a price between $5.216 and $5.875. There's only one player that lines up with that .. Anderson Varejao. He gets paid $5,784,480 this year, and has a player option for $6,212,960 next year. Personally, I'd prefer Gomes, particularly with our new additions. I suppose if we included Madsen, and some cash, but I don't think this works either:

3. Gomes + McCants + Madsen.

This package would be $9.25 ($7.25 going out) The target range there becomes $7.32 to $9.16. with a wider landing strip, there are more options:

Eric Snow's salary is $7,312,500, so a slightly smaller contract would fit.

You can make your own player-pairs as well:

Anderson Varejao $5,784,480
Joe Smith $4,795,000
Sasha Pavlovic $4,500,000
Damon Jones $4,460,186
Delonte West $2,762,828

For all these trades, MIN can add cash or picks, as can CLE to balance out the value of trades apart from the financial matching. They can also do a simultaneous trade to balance value, where one of their new acquisitions is traded seperately.

Right now, MIN can always simply say "no thanks" to Gomes, and would save paying his salary on Day One. If an expiring is good, his "cap space" is even better, so an offer for MIN to trade has to be worthwhile. On the other hand, when a team over the lux inquires about Gomes, they are more encouraged to trade financially rather than simply use a S&T. Gomes may be worth $5 mil a year, but a team over the lux would have to wonder if he was worth $10 mil.
shrink
RealGM

Post#55 » by shrink » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:54 pm

One other thought. MIN probably has an unwillingness to make an offer beyond two years, both because that's the length of our longest contract, and the possibility that the minutes for Gomes may dwindle. However, CLE may also be unwilling to offer more than two years as well, as they keep their books clear for the LeBron FA year as well. Both of us have the room to make a longer FA contract, and both may be reluctant, so CLE may make an offer that we may be willing to match, and therefore encourage both of us to trade.
shrink
RealGM

Post#56 » by shrink » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:09 pm

MorningJournal.com wrote: Timberwolves forward Ryan Gomes' name has been linked to the Cavs. He would be a nice player to bring off the bench. He's an above average mid-range shooter. A source said he might want at least a two-year deal of the full mid-level.

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?news ... 6370&rfi=6

StarTribune wrote: The Wolves continue to negotiate with restricted free-agent forward Ryan Gomes and unrestricted free-agent point guard Sebastian Telfair. The team also is pursuing trade talks for a point guard, a position at which only Randy Foye is under contract.

"We want to get them back," McHale said. "I told Craig I'm happy to have him back here, not only as a player but as a person. I feel the same way about Bassy and Ryan. They're just a joy to have around.
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#57 » by revprodeji » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:49 am

Last year Gomes and Jefferson played together. Often overmatched on defense, but they were ok for some time.

Cookie and Al looked bad together.

Could our rotation be Al-Love starting and then Cookie comes in for Al and plays with Love and Gomes comes in for Love and plays with Al? Throw Collins in for some size?

It is interesting.

btw, cle

Snow+pick for s/t Gomes is a good deal for both. You guys dont draft well and Gomes is better than anyone you can get in the late 20's. The wolves get a mentor/coach pg to work with the young pg's and another first.

If we worked some kind of combo trade to get side show bob I would be happy, it just does not seem likely.

As I said on the cle board, Gomes is a very good fit next to Lebron.
http://www.timetoshop.org
Weight management, Sports nutrition and more...

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves