Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

casey
General Manager
And1: 7

Re: Comments from the Telfair conference 

Post#61 » by casey » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:34 am

shrink wrote:
casey wrote:
shrink wrote:All of these little duckies need to all line up perfectly for this to be an issue.

If Telfair is not traded and doesn't opt out then we will almost certainly have to change our plans in free agency because he's under contract for that third season. For a guy who didn't have his qualifying offer picked up and got only $2.5Mil a year (meaning he's not all that great), it was a very poor decision to give him that third year.

"Almost certainly have to change our plans in free agency." huh?

Wow. Microscopic chance that any of the other things could happen with any of the other players on our roster before Summer 2010. Tell us more!

I'm not even sure what you're trying to say. If Telfair is still on the roster in the summer of 2010, which is the most likely scenario, his contract will have a negative affect on what we can offer for free agents. The entire rest of our team could change and we'll still have $2.7Mil less to offer than we would without him here. It's really a simple concept that you seem to be ignoring and instead focusing on how many horrible things I say about the Wolves.
"I'm Ricky Rubio."
--Ricky Rubio
Tirion
Assistant Coach
And1: 290

Post#62 » by Tirion » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:46 am

it's casey-hating season.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,012

Post#63 » by shrink » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:09 pm

casey wrote: I'm not even sure what you're trying to say. If Telfair is still on the roster in the summer of 2010, which is the most likely scenario, his contract will have a negative affect on what we can offer for free agents. The entire rest of our team could change and we'll still have $2.7Mil less to offer than we would without him here. It's really a simple concept that you seem to be ignoring and instead focusing on how many horrible things I say about the Wolves.

But what you seem to be ignoring is that we're saying the $2.7 mil is not going to matter if any of those other things occur (we trade the space away for a different vet/can't find a/don't get a FA/have the money anyway to make our offers/trade Telfair or another current player/Telfair declines the option/etc etc etc). I thought it was particularly hypocritical in your previous post argueing that it would be a big deal not just if it cost us a max offer, but even if we could only offer $10 mil when we could offer $12.7 (because it would be $15 mil more over the life of the contract). Sure, $10 mil is a smaller offer than $12.7, but if another team is offering a max deal, whether or not we have Telfair, and can offer either $10 or $12.7 mil, does not matter!

Also, if you're going to complain about the $2.7 because any amount costs more, then the same logic applies to signing our 2009 1st round pick! Should we expect complaints from you because it would cost us more money that would affect our ability to get a free agent?

With all of the moves the Wolves active front office can do between now and summer of 2010, I think its completely UNrealistic to say that its "almost certain" Telfair's specific $2.7 mil third year is going to change our plans, and it comes off to me as simply trying to invent yet another thing to complain about in this forum.
mayorhoiberg
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#64 » by mayorhoiberg » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:29 pm

Casey wants to trade away all of our 2009 first rounders. And he'll have beef with resigning Gomes too.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,012

Post#65 » by shrink » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:52 pm

.. and let's get rid of Al Jefferson too, because his $13 mil is far more likely to affect our 2010 free agent signing than Telfair's $2.7.
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#66 » by deeney0 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:54 pm

shrink wrote:.. and let's get rid of Al Jefferson too, because his $13 mil is far more likely to affect our 2010 free agent signing than Telfair's $2.7.

When the point is to surround Al with talent, getting rid of Al is probably the worst way to go about it. If the Wolves have the space to sign a guy to $10 mil per, the question becomes which is better, Al+$10mil guy + Telfair or Al+$12mil guy. In the NBA, it's usually the latter, but it's hard to know for sure right now until names are put to those numbers.
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 681

Post#67 » by karch34 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:48 pm

shrink wrote:.. and let's get rid of Al Jefferson too, because his $13 mil is far more likely to affect our 2010 free agent signing than Telfair's $2.7.

Agreed. The moral of the story is Al at 2 years is better than 5 years.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#68 » by Devilzsidewalk » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:48 pm

lets sign taureen green, i always liked that guy
JMillott
Pro Prospect
And1: 32

Post#69 » by JMillott » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:56 pm

As for the entire Telfair third year, its a moot point and no it will not get in the way of the Wolves signing any free agent that they wish to sign that summer. You can send up to 3 million in cash out in any trade, you can't tell me that no team in the summer of 2010 would agree to have Sebastion Telfair as their back up PG while the team got paid 300K for having him.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,472

Post#70 » by Worm Guts » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:20 am

Comparing a mediocre backup point guard to our best player is a little silly. Telfair is emminently replaceable.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#71 » by Worm Guts » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:22 am

deeney0 wrote:-If the Wolves have enough cap space to offer the player they want a max contract either way, is 2 still better than 3?

If Telfair is good enough that the Wolves still want him after 2 years, he'll opt out anyway.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#72 » by Worm Guts » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:25 am

shrink wrote:
Also, if you're going to complain about the $2.7 because any amount costs more, then the same logic applies to signing our 2009 1st round pick! Should we expect complaints from you because it would cost us more money that would affect our ability to get a free agent?

There's a chance our 2009 1st round pick will be better than a backup point guard.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#73 » by Devilzsidewalk » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:35 am

Worm Guts wrote:
There's a chance our 2009 1st round pick will be better than a backup point guard.

theres also a chance our 2009 1st round pick never makes the cover of Sports Illustrated in his entire life.

do you really want to take that chance? I know some of us rip on Telfair at times, but at the end of the day he`s been to the top of that mountain

I`m sorry, I just dont have anything to contribute to the conversation today
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#74 » by deeney0 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:49 am

Half this team has been on the cover of SI. Jason Collins was on the cover of SI.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#75 » by Devilzsidewalk » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:04 am

was that the swim suit edition? I bet Jarron was with him. Twins are every mans dream
casey
General Manager
And1: 7

Post#76 » by casey » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:59 am

shrink wrote:But what you seem to be ignoring is that we're saying the $2.7 mil is not going to matter if any of those other things occur (we trade the space away for a different vet/can't find a/don't get a FA/have the money anyway to make our offers/trade Telfair or another current player/Telfair declines the option/etc etc etc).

If he's not here (traded or opts out), it won't make a difference. If we end up in a situation where we wouldn't have cap room anyways, it won't make a difference. If we end up in a situation where we have so much cap room (like ~$20Mil) but only plan on spending it on one player, it won't make a difference. Otherwise it will. And I think the chances are pretty good that none of those things happen.

shrink wrote:I thought it was particularly hypocritical in your previous post argueing that it would be a big deal not just if it cost us a max offer, but even if we could only offer $10 mil when we could offer $12.7 (because it would be $15 mil more over the life of the contract). Sure, $10 mil is a smaller offer than $12.7, but if another team is offering a max deal, whether or not we have Telfair, and can offer either $10 or $12.7 mil, does not matter!

We can sign a better player with $12.7Mil than with $10. We can sign a better player with $14.7Mil than with $12Mil. We can sign a better player with $8.7Mil than we can with $6Mil. As long as we have cap space in 2010, Telfair's contract will be a factor on how much cap space we have.

shrink wrote:Also, if you're going to complain about the $2.7 because any amount costs more, then the same logic applies to signing our 2009 1st round pick! Should we expect complaints from you because it would cost us more money that would affect our ability to get a free agent?

The point isn't to get rid of every single contract we have. Their point of view should be to keep their options as open as possible and not give out any unnecessary contracts that could interfere. As for the draft picks, it wouldn't be a bad idea to trade one or two of them. Whether it's to move up in that draft, or for future draft picks.

shrink wrote:With all of the moves the Wolves active front office can do between now and summer of 2010, I think its completely UNrealistic to say that its "almost certain" Telfair's specific $2.7 mil third year is going to change our plans, and it comes off to me as simply trying to invent yet another thing to complain about in this forum.

I said if he's still here it's almost certain. And it is. If he's here there is $2.7Mil more on our salary than there would be if he wasn't here. Seems like such a simple concept, I'm not sure why it's so hard for you to understand.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves