ImageImageImage

WHats the secret about the contracts

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

gold0259
Sixth Man
And1: 65

WHats the secret about the contracts 

Post#1 » by gold0259 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:11 pm

Don't hate me folks but, why are the contracts we just signed open for the public to hear about? why are the terms always not disclosed right away and some are? Just curious and I'm sure someone out there could answer that. Also what is BYC?
Thannks
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Re: WHats the secret about the contracts 

Post#2 » by deeney0 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:35 pm

BYC is base year compensation. A player is BYC if there new contract gives them a 20% or more raise over their previous contract. In trades, a BYC player's contract is viewed by the outgoing team at 50% of its actual size, or the size of the previous contract, whichever is greater, but by the incoming team at its actual value. This makes trading BYC players very difficult.
Dekko1
Sophomore
And1: 0

Re: WHats the secret about the contracts 

Post#3 » by Dekko1 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:14 am

gold0259 wrote:Don't hate me folks but, why are the contracts we just signed open for the public to hear about? why are the terms always not disclosed right away and some are? Just curious and I'm sure someone out there could answer that. Also what is BYC?
Thannks

The collective bargaining agreement has a clause that the contracts are confidential. However some like rookie contracts the CBA lists the amounts for each pick each year so is it a given. As for the rest, the agents, the head office, and the players are as leak tight as the average sieve. So it just takes a little longer for some leaks to spout.

Here is the ignored rule:

http://nbpa.com/cba_articles/article-XXIX.php#section9
Section 9. Nondisclosure.
The parties agree that (a) the economic terms of any individual Uniform Player Contract entered into by a Team and a player, and (b) any information contained in, or disclosed to the Players Association in connection with an Audit Report, Draft Audit Report, Interim Audit Report, Interim Escrow Audit Report, BRI Report, Escrow Schedule, or Notice to Escrow Agent, shall not be disclosed to the media by (i) the NBA, its Teams, or their respective employees, or (ii) the Players Association, NBA players, or their respective employees, agents, or representatives.
Laurel T
"If you can't say anything nice, sit next to me."
Alice Roosevelt Longworth (1884-1980)

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves