Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

drummerrob26
Freshman
And1: 0

Blake Ahearn 

Post#1 » by drummerrob26 » Fri Aug 1, 2008 4:45 pm

Waiting Game
Blake Ahearn | Heat
"Playing that waiting game is part of the business," said Blake Ahearn, a former Missouri State basketball standout.
"My agent (John Greig of Seattle) says Minnesota really likes me; they're just not making a decision yet," Ahearn said.

"They have one roster spot open and are looking for a combo guard. That's the role I played during the summer league."

He's working out daily in his hometown of St. Louis and is scheduled to fly to San Antonio on Aug. 15 for a tryout with the Spurs. Golden State and Phoenix also have shown interest in his services, Ahearn said. -- Springfield News-Leader
Got this from ESPN Insider
prefuse73
Sixth Man
And1: 44

Re: Blake Ahearn 

Post#2 » by prefuse73 » Fri Aug 1, 2008 6:37 pm

While he is a little short, I think he is the perfect guy to fit into our "combo guard" role at the end of the bench. He will put enough pressure on telfair to keep improving but wont be pain in the arse as far as demanding minutes. He can hit the three, drive and make 100% (nearly) of his free throws. Unless we have a trade brewing, we should lock him up before he goes to phx or SA.
mnWI
General Manager
And1: 47

Post#3 » by mnWI » Fri Aug 1, 2008 7:57 pm

I really pushed for both Pooh Jeter and Ahearn on the Wolves summer league team, so I'd be really happy if either one made the final cut. Jeter can only play the point guard and is undersized, but he gets everyone involved and really knows how to lead the break.

Ahearn will take a month or two to adjust to the speed of the game at the NBA, just like it took him a few months before he really came on in the D-League. He isn't a true point guard but can get the team into an offense, and has one of the best pure shooting strokes I've ever seen. He is stronger and more athletic than he looks, but lacks the lateral quickness to defend quick guards.

Both of these guys have D-League experience, and Pooh had a great year in the Ukraine last year. Ahearn was the best D-League player in the month of February before he was called up, and had some huge games in the process.
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 691

Post#4 » by karch34 » Sat Aug 2, 2008 4:11 am

I think Ahearn would be a decent pickup. The rest of the options are pretty limited for FA PGs. Outside of Arroyo and maybe Mighty Mouse, not a lot out there. Also not sure if those guys would be happy with the end of the bench role and I think Ahearn would be fine and thrive.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves