ImageImageImage

All-Time T'Wolves

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

BillyHoyle
Ballboy
And1: 0

All-Time T'Wolves 

Post#1 » by BillyHoyle » Mon Aug 4, 2008 10:45 pm

if you could select an All-Time T'Wolves startng 5, (don't focus only on numbers but on "team-chemistry" as well), how would it look like?
gold0259
Sixth Man
And1: 65

Re: All-Time T'Wolves 

Post#2 » by gold0259 » Mon Aug 4, 2008 10:58 pm

Garnett
Cassell
Sprewell
Sealy
Googs
skorff26
Analyst
And1: 17

Post#3 » by skorff26 » Tue Aug 5, 2008 12:07 am

C Jefferson
PF KG
SF sprewell
SG wally
PG brandon

-we have 2 dominant big men in Jefferson and KG, sprewell can take the ball to the basket once in awhile, wally is their to spread the floor, and brandon is our floor general to distribute the ball to everyone.
stop-n-pop
Sophomore

Post#4 » by stop-n-pop » Tue Aug 5, 2008 12:11 am

Marbury
Spree
Sam Mitchell
KG
Garrett
johnny_sack
Ballboy

Post#5 » by johnny_sack » Tue Aug 5, 2008 5:05 am

C - Dean Garrett (Don`t laugh - the guy worked a charm when he was here! Huge body, decent defender, and alliterates with Garnett!!!... Does what is asked of him - the fact that Rasho, Johnson, Marc Jackson, etc could easily slip in here tells you how dire our pantheon of decent Cs really is (if you wanna scrape the barrel you have - King, Spencer, Longley, Brown, Foster, ugh!!!)
PF - Jefferson (Would open up defenses for KG to operate)
SF - Garnett (How much of a nightmare would this 3/4 combo be?)
SG - Doug West (Slightly sentimental pick - but could make it on merit as well based on his peak production)
PG - Cassell (Possibly Brandon, definitely NOT Marbury)
the_bruce
Analyst
And1: 57

Post#6 » by the_bruce » Tue Aug 5, 2008 5:18 am

duh ezpz

al
googs
kg
spree
brandon
4ho5ive
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Post#7 » by 4ho5ive » Tue Aug 5, 2008 5:53 am

Based on skills alone:

Olowakandi
Madsen
Ebi
Gonzo, err, Bracey Wright
Hudson

Mavrokascientologist as the 6th man
gjn19
Veteran

Post#8 » by gjn19 » Tue Aug 5, 2008 10:34 am

I assume their best form, not the form they had with the wolves:

PG: cassell (the ultimate killer)
SG: spreewell (one of the best SG's in the 90's, was a beast when young, great defender)
SF: wally (hardest position...we didn't really have a good SF...almost put Hoiberg in here...wally is good enough to spread the floor, well enough on defense...lacks the rebounding)
PF: jefferson (nuff said)
C: garnett
tsherkin wrote:Sam's the king of the herky-jerky setup move, he's like 800 years old and STILL drops 30 on folks some nights...
SoSick
Ballboy

Post#9 » by SoSick » Tue Aug 5, 2008 1:58 pm

PG - Cassel
SG - Spree
SF - Wally
PF - KG
C - Al

- KG and Al works on the high/low post, Wally spreads the floor, Spree runs wild on the fast break and Cassel doin' his thing . . nightmare for opposing teams.

I wonder when will we see a really good center on this team?
"It's Basketball, You play it the way you know it"

-Kevin Garnett
Winter Wonder
Rookie

Post#10 » by Winter Wonder » Tue Aug 5, 2008 2:17 pm

1 Brandon (would actually give effort on defensive side, yes looking at you Cassell)
2 Szczerbiak
3/4 Garnett
4/3 Gugliotta
5 Jefferson

Marbury was close, but Brandon was a better team mate and much more consistent from outside. Shooting guard was a tough call, Sealey or Spreewell could have been here I guess. The other three I don't think you could convince me otherwise.

Tony Campbell for sixth man!
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,527

Post#11 » by Worm Guts » Tue Aug 5, 2008 3:52 pm

gjn19 wrote:I assume their best form, not the form they had with the wolves:

PG: cassell (the ultimate killer)
SG: spreewell (one of the best SG's in the 90's, was a beast when young, great defender)
SF: wally (hardest position...we didn't really have a good SF...almost put Hoiberg in here...wally is good enough to spread the floor, well enough on defense...lacks the rebounding)
PF: jefferson (nuff said)
C: garnett

Garnett played SF for the first 5 or 6 years he was a Wolf. If you want create the best Wolves team I think you put KG at the 3, AJ at the 5 and slide Gugliotta in there at the 4.
drza
Analyst
And1: 1,852

Post#12 » by drza » Tue Aug 5, 2008 6:58 pm

KG, Jefferson, Cassell, Hassell, and Miller

I was tempted to put Spree in Miller's slot for his defense, but I think Miller's long-range shooting would be just as big of a plus and Miller has more the mindset to accept being a 4th option whereas Spree might have chafed at that. The offense on this team would be unstoppable, with the KG/Sam pick-and-pop with Jefferson diving to the rim and the KG/Jefferson high-low game (with Miller spotted up in the corner off either configuration) as bread-and-butter sets. There are weaker links at 3 of the starting positions, but if they could just play decent position defense KG and Hassell would help make up the gaps. And with Jefferson on the glass, KG would be free to be the defensive disruptor that he was in Boston this year, which would still keep this a strong defensive unit in addition to their offensive firepower.
Creator of the Hoops Lab: tinyurl.com/mpo2brj
Contributor to NylonCalculusDOTcom
Contributor to TYTSports: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTbFEVCpx9shKEsZl7FcRHzpGO1dPoimk
Follow on Twitter: @ProfessorDrz
Gopherguy
Ballboy

Post#13 » by Gopherguy » Tue Aug 5, 2008 8:04 pm

PG - Brandon (guided us to a 30-10 mark then blew out his foot)/Cassell - only all-star wolve PG

SG - Wally - only Wolve All-Star SG/Isiah J.R. Rider - if only he could have laid off the pipe.

SF - KG - no comment needed/Sam Mitchell - Guy was awesome in the locker room.

PF - Googs - second best PF in team history./KG - only here so he can start at SF.

C - Al Jefferson - Next Wolf to make the All-Star game./Dean Garrett - guy was good at playing off KG.

6th man - Spree - not here long enough or good enough to start./Bobby Jackson - more of a "what could have been" choice.

Only debate is who best fills that 12th man role, Gundars Vetra, Shane Heal, Mark Madsen or Bill Curley. I'm going with MADDOG.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,596

Post#14 » by shrink » Tue Aug 5, 2008 9:18 pm

Marbury, Cassell, and Sprewell will never make my list of All Time Wolves, since they have done more to damage the franchise than help it. Marbury cost us himself and All Star Tom Gugliotta, and Cassell and Sprewell put us in a tailspin that led to trades for Jaric, Ricky Davis and Blount that took three years to come out of. I truly believe if Cassell had stuck by his agreement to not renegotiate during the season, and he and Sprewell focused on the team, we had a legitimate chance at making good on those national predictions of winning a ring. Winning a ring equals having Kevin Garnett still here, so while others made mistakes as well, Cassell was instrumental to our years of decline.

The OP said, "consider team chemistry" as well, and these three (along with Laettner and Isiah Rider) are the kings of bad chemistry -- and when you're worse than Davis/Blount, you know how bad you are!
funkatron101
General Manager
And1: 960

Post#15 » by funkatron101 » Tue Aug 5, 2008 9:43 pm

johnny_sack wrote:C - Dean Garrett (Don`t laugh - the guy worked a charm when he was here! Huge body, decent defender, and alliterates with Garnett!!!... Does what is asked of him - the fact that Rasho, Johnson, Marc Jackson, etc could easily slip in here tells you how dire our pantheon of decent Cs really is (if you wanna scrape the barrel you have - King, Spencer, Longley, Brown, Foster, ugh!!!)
PF - Jefferson (Would open up defenses for KG to operate)
SF - Garnett (How much of a nightmare would this 3/4 combo be?)
SG - Doug West (Slightly sentimental pick - but could make it on merit as well based on his peak production)
PG - Cassell (Possibly Brandon, definitely NOT Marbury)

Swap West with Spree and that's what I would pick.
Lattimer wrote:Cracks me up that people still think that Wiggins will be involved in the trade for Love. Wolves are out of their mind if they think they are getting Wiggins for Love.
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#16 » by deeney0 » Tue Aug 5, 2008 11:55 pm

There is no question that Sam Cassell is the best PG is Wolves history. There should be no debate at that position at all, no one else has ever come close. I've got:

PG - Sam Cassell
SG - Kevin Garnett
SF - Kevin Garnett
PF - Kevin Garnett
C - Kevin Garnett

Bench: Sam Mitchell, Trenton Hassell, Doug West, Al Jefferson

I thought about bringing Sammy off the bench and let KG start at point, too, but Sammy's midrange game is so emeffing deadly.

Spree as a Wolf is overrated. Streaky as hell. Trenton was more critical to the Wolves success in 03-04.
Tirion
Assistant Coach
And1: 290

Post#17 » by Tirion » Wed Aug 6, 2008 2:58 am

shrink wrote:Marbury, Cassell, and Sprewell will never make my list of All Time Wolves, since they have done more to damage the franchise than help it. Marbury cost us himself and All Star Tom Gugliotta, and Cassell and Sprewell put us in a tailspin that led to trades for Jaric, Ricky Davis and Blount that took three years to come out of. I truly believe if Cassell had stuck by his agreement to not renegotiate during the season, and he and Sprewell focused on the team, we had a legitimate chance at making good on those national predictions of winning a ring. Winning a ring equals having Kevin Garnett still here, so while others made mistakes as well, Cassell was instrumental to our years of decline.

He also was instrumental to this team's only successful season. He deserved an extension plain and simple, but the FO thought he was to old and injury prone.
johnny_sack
Ballboy

Post#18 » by johnny_sack » Wed Aug 6, 2008 4:05 am

Gopherguy wrote:
Only debate is who best fills that 12th man role, Gundars Vetra, Shane Heal, Mark Madsen or Bill Curley. I'm going with MADDOG.

I think you mean "The GREAT Shane Heal" (just ask him). After he allegedly ran Mark Price and the equally "Great" Todd Fuller off the South Melbourne Dragons in the NBL in Oz he became - wait for it... A PLAYER COACH!!! And what a player coach...

Look out Witt... Taylor could save a few bucks with this as well (2 for one)...
the_bruce
Analyst
And1: 57

Post#19 » by the_bruce » Wed Aug 6, 2008 4:18 am

bruceallen61 wrote:al
googs
kg
spree
brandon

still the best line up cheer
Tekkenlaw