Starting 5 for the t wolves

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Re: Starting 5 for the t wolves 

Post#21 » by C.lupus » Wed Aug 6, 2008 12:53 pm

Collins' PT will mirror Buckner's last year. He will start the season getting considerable minutes and the starting job and will slowly give way to The Love Machine as the rookie learns the pro game. How quickly that happens is up to Love.

Book it Dano.
tviper
Sixth Man
And1: 260

Post#22 » by tviper » Wed Aug 6, 2008 2:07 pm

Collins is awful and IMO won't start at anytime over Love unless he gets injured...Collins has one use and that is post defense, which will come in handy against the Bigs in the West, but doesn't justify a starting spot due to the total absence of anything resembling an offensive game (his PER is below 4!)...

Foye
Miller
Gomes
Al
Love

Shad is 6th man, replacing either Gomes or Miller depending on the opponent and match-ups (Miller moves down to 3 if Gomes comes out), and Brewer is next, followed by Telfair and then Smith...
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#23 » by deeney0 » Wed Aug 6, 2008 9:14 pm

When was the last time a rookie started off the bat for the Wolves? It's Collins by default, unless the decide to go small with something like Jefferson/Gomes/Miller/Brewer/Foye. Love will start at some point, but probably not in November. Again, not saying Collins isn't awful, but the Wolves started Doleac or Madsen several games last year. They're not opposed to starting a center who blows.
dunkonu21
Lead Assistant
And1: 40

Post#24 » by dunkonu21 » Thu Aug 7, 2008 12:18 am

deeney0 wrote:That's what people said about Theo this time last year. Sucky or not, they'll start the veteran with size.

If you remember correctly I was always on the Theo bandwagon!
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,019

Post#25 » by Dewey » Thu Aug 7, 2008 1:20 am

What's with the "Gomes at PF" crap? He's a SF. Yaa he's got decent size and hacked out a few minutes at the position here and there, but come on.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
jdub114
Junior
And1: 0

Post#26 » by jdub114 » Thu Aug 7, 2008 1:49 am

Telfair
Foye
Miller
Love
Big Al

Book it!
"One plus one is two, all day long, and it’s never gonna change. And that’s factorial." - Starbury
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Post#27 » by Basti » Thu Aug 7, 2008 8:50 am

jdub114 wrote:Telfair
Foye
Miller
Love
Big Al

Book it!

who's your back up pg? plus we have so many guards/wings I highly doubt any of our point guards will take some minutes away from them.
TMo519
Bench Warmer
And1: 25

Post#28 » by TMo519 » Thu Aug 7, 2008 12:07 pm

With the idea of going to the playoffs (that's what their goal is, regardless of how silly it may sound or whatever), they're going to start as many vets as possible I think.

Foye/Brewer/Miller/Jefferson/Collins

McCants and Gomes will be virtual sixth men together, while Love will be playing a lot of minutes as well. Smith will be the spell big man type guy for mainly Jefferson. Telfair obviously will spell Foye and also share the backcourt with him on occasion. Miller's earned a starting spot over Gomes by being a 17-7 guy and an 8 year vet. I put Brew out there instead of Gomes because his defense I think will get him at least the spot in the lineup where he can kind of set the tone defensively and hopefully bring energy to the start of the game, though I believe McCants and Gomes will both play as many or more minutes as Brew and will be on the floor late in games. So I'd see our 4th quarter lineup being more like Foye/McCants/Miller/Gomes/Jefferson or something like that. Love will move in as time goes on, but like I said, early in the season when they're truly trying to win games as opposed to pure player development, you will see more vets on the floor than rooks or 2nd year guys IMO.

Rodney Carney is an ex-factor for me. If he plays really well he can change things up a lot.
billfromBoston
Lead Assistant

Post#29 » by billfromBoston » Sat Aug 9, 2008 6:03 pm

I'm pretty sure the starting lineup will be:

Jefferson
Love
Gomes
Miller
Foye

with:

Smith
Brewer
McCants
Telfair

...rouding out the top 9....

The rest of the roster will be used situationally I think. These are the main guys...
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,517

Post#30 » by Worm Guts » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:27 am

deeney0 wrote:That's what people said about Theo this time last year. Sucky or not, they'll start the veteran with size.

I don't know if people thought Theo sucked, just that he was made out of glass. Collins will not be as good as Ratliff. Love will probably start within 10-15 games, if not right away.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#31 » by Devilzsidewalk » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:50 am

Love
Jefferson
Miller
McCants
Foye
Vindicater
General Manager
And1: 423

Post#32 » by Vindicater » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:31 am

Foye
MIller
Gomes
Jefferson
Love

Gotta go with this... anything else is bad bad bad
"That's why the last two years weren't guaranteed," Walsh said. "Either way, he knew it could have happened either way."
BiggieSmalls
Senior

Post#33 » by BiggieSmalls » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:02 pm

Telfair is garbage, trust me i have seen him play alot and he is a poor mans stephon marbury, and marbury is one of the worst pgs in the league so that cant be good. i do like k-love to be good in the future, i just think it will take some time for him to adjust. I have watched love play since his middle school days, all my friends grew up playing against him in school and i know i cant wait for him to come back to portland cuz i will be interested to see if he gets cheers, my expectation will be many many boo's comin from the crowd, including myself...i mean i ant just let a guy come into my high school gym and shatter the backboard, that deserves some payback lol. :evil:

heres a link to the backboard video if ur interested...
the guy who comes up top to receive the pass from the guard is my buddy gabe, but the ball never quite got to his hands lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZpljX-jnFk
DreMiller/Faried>>>>>>>Felton/Smith

Nicolas Batuuuuuuuuuuum!

R.I.P Sean Chancellor
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Post#34 » by Basti » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:03 pm

BiggieSmalls wrote:Telfair is garbage, trust me i have seen him play alot and he is a poor mans stephon marbury, and marbury is one of the worst pgs in the league so that cant be good. i do like k-love to be good in the future, i just think it will take some time for him to adjust. I have watched love play since his middle school days, all my friends grew up playing against him in school and i know i cant wait for him to come back to portland cuz i will be interested to see if he gets cheers, my expectation will be many many boo's comin from the crowd, including myself...i mean i ant just let a guy come into my high school gym and shatter the backboard, that deserves some payback lol. :evil:

heres a link to the backboard video if ur interested...
the guy who comes up top to receive the pass from the guard is my buddy gabe, but the ball never quite got to his hands lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZpljX-jnFk

weird that we kinda like him and how he seems to be matured last season. I just hope it wasn't only for the contract.
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#35 » by deeney0 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:47 pm

Marbury minus the crazy would still be a very good PG in the NBA. A poor man's Marbury is still worth a look as an NBA backup, especially when he's only 23 and only pulling down a bit over $2.5 mil/year.
4ho5ive
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Post#36 » by 4ho5ive » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:17 pm

I have a feeling BiggieSmalls hasnt watched Telfair since he was ran out of Portland.
Rocky5000
Analyst

Post#37 » by Rocky5000 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:19 pm

Marbury one of the worst point guards in the league? Why don't you look up how many players have averaged 20 points and 8 assists for 6 nba seasons?

I'd go with an 8 man rotation of
-----------
Telfair/Foye
Foye/McCants/Brewer
Miller/Gomes/Brewer
Love/Gomes
Jefferson/Love
--------------
Those are the best young players on the T-wolves. Depending on how much time you want to spend on development, play Brewer more or less. He's still pretty far away from being anything more than a utility player IMHO. I see Foye being more effective as a slashing 2 guard who can pass than as a pg.
4ho5ive
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Post#38 » by 4ho5ive » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:08 pm

I still dont like Foye as a 2. And even IF we were to play him there, I think we would need a bigger guard to play alongside him than the 6'0 Telfair. Foye is an average defender, but opposing 2's would eat him up with their size.
Vindicater
General Manager
And1: 423

Post#39 » by Vindicater » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:34 am

If Telfair is our starting point guard come openeing day... we are in or a LLLLOOOOONNNNNNGGGGGG season
"That's why the last two years weren't guaranteed," Walsh said. "Either way, he knew it could have happened either way."
JMillott
Pro Prospect
And1: 32

Post#40 » by JMillott » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:10 pm

C Al Jefferson 22 PPG 11 RPG
PF Kevin Love 12 PPG 9 RPG
SF Ryan Gomes 12 PPG 5 RPG
SG Mike Miller 16 PPG 5 RPG 4 APG
PG Randy Foye 15 PPG 6 APG 3 RPG

Bench
SG-SF Corey Brewer 6 PPG 4 RPG 2 SPG
PF-C Craig Smith 7 PPG 5 RPG
PG Sebastion Telfair 6 PPG 4 APG
SG Rashard McCants 10 PPG 2 RPG 2 APG
C Jason Collins 1 PPG 2 RPG
SG-SF Rodney Carney 5 PPG 3 RPG

I think that will make up the primary rotation and I think they will quite possibly be in the running for the playoffs if they can keep that lineup healthy. They will not be at the top of that division with the Jazz and Blazers next year but I think they have a reasonable shot of finishing ahead of the Nuggets.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves