MIN-MEM

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,427

MIN-MEM 

Post#1 » by shrink » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:54 pm

Craig Smith for Crittendon or Lowry

WHY FOR MEM: With the Zach Randolph deal nixed, Memphis may be anxious to bide its time, and see what they have in Darrell Arthur. There are rumors that the Grizz have soured on Hakim Warrick as well.

Craig Smith remarkable quickness helps him provide offense down low to the three young centers. Smith needs size behind him though on defense, and MEM has three legit 7-footers in Darko, Haddadi and Marc Gasol. The Grizz would like Smith's youth, hustle, andc haracter, and his contract is small and short ($2.5 mil, $2.7 mil). Smith is actually a tiny BYC, so the fact that MEM is under the salary cap makes that a nice fit too.

WHY FOR MIN: Like Gomes, I love this guy's attitude, but we simply don't have the help defender to put behind Smith that he needs. I don't think he pairs with either Al or Kevin Love, and I'd have serious concerns trotting him out there with Jason Collins.

I remain concerned that an injury at PG would simply ruin us, with only Telfair and Foye available to play the position. There are still whispers outside MIN that Foye will never be a PG. This could be an attractive place for one of MEM's PG's to try to make good, especially with the addition of Mayo.

Its a small win for salary. Not only do we save $1.1-$1.3 mil right away, neither of the PG's salaries are guaranteed for 2009.

Personally, I prefer Crittendon, but I can understand why others may like Lowry better.
funkatron101
General Manager
And1: 960

Re: MIN-MEM 

Post#2 » by funkatron101 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:01 pm

I would.
Lattimer wrote:Cracks me up that people still think that Wiggins will be involved in the trade for Love. Wolves are out of their mind if they think they are getting Wiggins for Love.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,456

Post#3 » by Foye » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:12 pm

Me, too. Smith won't have to much playing time so we could use him to get another young guard...
Howler21
Senior
And1: 0

Post#4 » by Howler21 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:23 pm

Even with the logjam at the 4 spot I would pass on the deal.
Howler21
Senior
And1: 0

Post#5 » by Howler21 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:28 pm

On second thought, I would be up for Critt
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#6 » by Devilzsidewalk » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:46 pm

there isn't anymore time available at guard than in the frontcourt - Foye, Telfair, Brewer, Carney, McCants, Miller

that pretty much covers all the minutes at PG and SG
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,427

Post#7 » by shrink » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:33 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:there isn't anymore time available at guard than in the frontcourt - Foye, Telfair, Brewer, Carney, McCants, Miller

that pretty much covers all the minutes at PG and SG

I agree we have SG fully covered, but we only have two players that are even capable of playing PG. I think if one goes down, we're sunk -- the other can't play 48 minutes.
southern wolf
General Manager
And1: 2,163

Post#8 » by southern wolf » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:49 am

I would do it, we've got too many players similar to the rhino and we'd have three talented young pg's to develop.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves