Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,542

MIN-DEN 

Post#1 » by shrink » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:01 am

What do you guys think of this?

Jason Collins (exp) + Rodney Carney for Nene

Nene will never cost less in trade than he idoes right now, because his contract's length is scary, and he has supposedly beaten cancer. DEN appears desperate to get under the lux, and Nene seems the likely guy (nobody wants K-mart, Iverson's expiring, and Carmelo is the fan favorite). This deal knocks off $2 mil ($4 mil) this year off DEN's budget, and gives them more cap space to add to the expiring Iverson.

Nene's 6"11 and 250-270, and can play center. He's 26.

Nene's contract
2008-09 $9,680,000
2009-10 $10,520,000
2010-11 $11,360,000
2011-12 $11,600,000

For me, I think my reservations against Nene are too great, but if he's healthy, he would start some games for us.
4ho5ive
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Re: MIN-DEN 

Post#2 » by 4ho5ive » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:46 am

Sorry shrink, but I recently od'd on your trade proposals. My family has gone as far as admitting me to rehab until i can control myself a little better.
Winter Wonder
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#3 » by Winter Wonder » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:47 pm

If Shrink was not out there looking at all their various trades MN is purposed in and showing us here, this board would be next dead. I really enjoy the value-ization (is that a word?) of the players and finding positive value trades and pieces that make the Wolves better, even if in a hypothetical situation. Keep up the good work Shrink and keep the MN message board alive!

Otherwise, Nene is a player I have never been big on. Granted, I have never really seen him play much, but that is inpart due to his injury history. He is a gamble, and a fairly expensive one at that. Collins/Carney is nto a high price at all, so value-wise it may very well be there. I just don't trust the injuries though. Collins and his golf cart could end up playing more games over the remaining life of Nene's contract than Nene himself. Nene is too much for too long in my mind with too many injury questions.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#4 » by Devilzsidewalk » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:50 pm

I'd do it because I like Nene, he's a power big man and he'll **** kill you

is that what Mork used to say? "Nene Nene" and he'd do that thing with his fingers
Winter Wonder
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#5 » by Winter Wonder » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:55 pm

I believe it was "nah-nu nah-nu" or however you would spell that. Hmmmm, that somewhat dates one though doesn't it? I will blame Nick at Night, ya, that's it, that's the ticket!
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#6 » by C.lupus » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:02 pm

^^^I'm going to plead the 5th on that conversation.

I'm also going to say no to Nene. His career numbers are 10/6. He puts up Gomes-like stats and makes Jefferson-like money. And he is oft-injured to boot. The only one of these recent trades I would consider is the one with CHI and DAL with Diop coming here. Even that one I would say no to because of his ridiculous Marko contract.

Keep trying, though, shrink. There's bound to be a decent center out there that we can get.
shrink
RealGM

Post#7 » by shrink » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:52 pm

Thanks for the encouragement guys. As you can see, there's really not a lot out there that makes sense in trade that we haven't talked about, and I'm sometimes tossing up border-line deals here (well, deals I'm not particularly excited about), in the hope that the discussion gets me excited. Right now, we don't have a lot of players that we'd value less than other teams, with the notable exceptions perhaps being Mike Miller, McCants, and maybe Jason Collins expiring. I think when Dec. 15th rolls around, and Gomes and Craig Smith can be traded, that might change. On the asset side, we don't have big needs either. McHale has made so many personnel moves in the last year (most of them I favor), that I definitely understand the need to stop and see what we've got, and what we need. Even something like a defensive center is not pressing for this season, and I suspect all that cap space McHale generated with the trades will be used to address that problem in the future.

Chalk up these trades to the boredom of the off-season. I can certainly understand people here declining them. I think I would decline the majority as well. I appreciate the encouragement though, and I'll keep playing with numbers and analyzing other team's needs.
shrink
RealGM

Post#8 » by shrink » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:55 pm

Regarding Nene, I have to assume he's being paid on what they think he will become, just like the contract Dalembert is on. C.lupus is right -- he hasn't done anything yet to justify those numbers, and since then, he had that cancer scare. Maybe since his deal is four years long, DEN is desperate enough for money that they'd trade him for Cardinal's 2-year deal and Carney? Still, I'd be reluctant to use our cap space on such an unproven guy, even if it improved us in 2009 and 2010.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,457

Post#9 » by Foye » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:19 pm

Does not sound good for me, Nene earns to much $
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 687

Post#10 » by karch34 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:16 pm

Keep up the trade talk Shrink! Great stuff during the slow time.

I think we've already hit it on the head that Maybyner Hillario got paid for future production and he has fallen way short. For maybe even 2/3 of his contract I'd consider it, but right now too much money for what he brings.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#11 » by Devilzsidewalk » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:42 pm

fallen short because of ability or health though, if its ability you stay away, if its health you can consider taking a chance if he's not injury prone and I wouldn't consider cancer injury prone. When he's healthy he's shown some impressive ability inside, not too many people that can or want to get in his way inside.

I'd love to have a big explosive bully inside next to Al.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves