Miller/Gomes
Jefferson/Smith/Madsen --- Booth/Thomas
Love/Hawes

Jackson/Urdih
Martin/McCants
Salmons/Garcia/Greene
Moore/Williams/Thompson --- Sheef/Cardinal
Miller/Collins

We do it as McCants/late 1st for Hawes is good value. The rest is pretty much shuffling of who sits where on the bench.

Why do the Kings do it though?
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Re: Wolves/Kings 

Post#3 » by Basti » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:55 am

andyhop wrote:Why do the Kings do it though?

+1

and on the other hand: why do we do this? Hawes is not the kind of Center I want next to Big Al or Kevin Love
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,280

Post#4 » by andyhop » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:54 am

the_incredible_basti wrote:

+1

and on the other hand: why do we do this? Hawes is not the kind of Center I want next to Big Al or Kevin Love

We do it in order to flip him because if you are offered a gift you take it even if it doesn't fit.
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Post#5 » by Basti » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:05 am

andyhop wrote:
the_incredible_basti wrote:

+1

We do it in order to flip him because if you are offered a gift you take it even if it doesn't fit.

I wouldn't consider it a gift though. to me it is rather equal value.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,601

Post#6 » by shrink » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:21 am

Interesting. I seem to remember some concern about rumors that McHale was so high on Hawes he'd pick him too early with our lottery pick.

To me, Kenny Thomas = Brian Cardinal, with KT's slight production advantage on the floor being counter-balanced by a couple million more in salary. I think that SAC would say no to the rest of the deal. If SAC posters are to be believed, they are not only high on Hawes, but they like Douby too (though I'm not impressed and I'd see him as not much more than a throw in). If they had soured on Hawes, maybe I could see them agreeing, but they had so many losses last year that the Kings are putting a lot of their hopes for the future in Hawes. I think they'd be more likely to trade Brad Miller in a Collins deal, to save some money and get Hawes more playing time.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#7 » by Devilzsidewalk » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:31 pm

it'd be hard for me to like this team with Spencer Hawes on it
Winter Wonder
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#8 » by Winter Wonder » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:40 pm

Sacto is very high on both Douby and Hawes. Additionally, Martin is probably their best (young) player and plays mainly at the 2 where the main piece going to them (McCants) also plays. Unfortunately, it doesn't make much/any sense for them to do this trade.

For MN, an easy yes, but I am hardpressed to see this offerred.
B Calrissian
Head Coach
And1: 17

Post#9 » by B Calrissian » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:47 pm

shrink wrote:Interesting. I seem to remember some concern about rumors that McHale was so high on Hawes he'd pick him too early with our lottery pick.

To me, Kenny Thomas = Brian Cardinal, with KT's slight production advantage on the floor being counter-balanced by a couple million more in salary. I think that SAC would say no to the rest of the deal. If SAC posters are to be believed, they are not only high on Hawes, but they like Douby too (though I'm not impressed and I'd see him as not much more than a throw in). If they had soured on Hawes, maybe I could see them agreeing, but they had so many losses last year that the Kings are putting a lot of their hopes for the future in Hawes. I think they'd be more likely to trade Brad Miller in a Collins deal, to save some money and get Hawes more playing time.

I thought that this deal would put them in a great spot next summer. I am sure they hope that Green will be able to produce in the rotation next year so they could pick either McCants or Garcia to resign. Or both if they outplay Salmons. I thought that Thomas got paid a lot more than Cardinal so I was thinking this would save them a good chunk of money this summer. But since it is just a couple million I agree that it is not worth it for the Kings to do it. At some point I will get better at making trades..

Edit- And yes, I thought of Douby as nothing more than a throw in.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,457

Post#10 » by Foye » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:46 pm

I don't think Hawes is as good as McCants is now and don't think he would be the C we need, so NO. :)
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#11 » by Devilzsidewalk » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:36 pm

is there anything at all that Hawes can do better than Kevin Love?

Love wins in outside game, passing, and rebounding easily. I guess with his length it could be assumed Hawes is a better shot blocker, but he hasn't shown it too much yet. Shot 46% on the year, so his inside game can't be too refined at the moment.. Post D I'm gonna give to Love w/ his huge strength advantage and with the memory of 6'6 Craig Smith physically dominating Hawes last season fresh in my mind.

Hawes might be an ok player down the road, but he's shown nothing to get excited about and start throwing 1st round picks at and especially not McCants, I really think you guys underrate McCants big time. Once the bandwagon door is shut, I'm not gonna let you on.
4ho5ive
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Post#12 » by 4ho5ive » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:58 pm

I think we overvalue McCants as well. I remember there being a rumor talked about that we tried to ditch him either last year at the deadline or this offseason and got terrible offers. His value outside of Minny is not much more than a throw in.

6'4 Shooting guards arent exactly a rare breed. I know he has freakishly long arms and the POTENTIAL to be a decent defender. But he still hasnt proved much in this league.

That being said, they can keep Hawes, i wasnt impressed b4, im not impressed now.
B Calrissian
Head Coach
And1: 17

Post#13 » by B Calrissian » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:59 am

Devilzsidewalk wrote: I really think you guys underrate McCants big time. Once the bandwagon door is shut, I'm not gonna let you on.

Do you think he will be happy this season if he is not starting? I would like him starting, but I am not the coach. As 4ho5ive said his value is already low around the league. His value would probably drop even more if he doesn't get enough minutes (and even more if he gets mad about it).
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#14 » by Devilzsidewalk » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:16 pm

4ho5ive wrote:I think we overvalue McCants as well. I remember there being a rumor talked about that we tried to ditch him either last year at the deadline or this offseason and got terrible offers. His value outside of Minny is not much more than a throw in.

6'4 Shooting guards arent exactly a rare breed. I know he has freakishly long arms and the POTENTIAL to be a decent defender. But he still hasnt proved much in this league.

That being said, they can keep Hawes, i wasnt impressed b4, im not impressed now.

I don't remember ever thinking "oh man, if only McCants was taller, he would have made that play"

Usually it's: "if he was more patient, he wouldn't have committed that reach-in foul" or "he shouldn't have forced that move because he had a man shadowing him, he should've passed"

90% of McCants' problems are always being way too aggressive on offense and defense, but thats a lot better than being way too passive. He still has the best drive/shoot game package on the team by a good margin.

I'm not saying he shouldn't be traded for anything, but to say 41% 3 point shooters that can also throw it down hard on most anybody are easily replaceable just because he's 6'4 isn't true.

Keep McCants
4ho5ive
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Post#15 » by 4ho5ive » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:36 pm

I never once said easily replaceable. My reasoning for him not being valuable was not based on him being 6'4. Im saying when you try to sell him to other teams or people on this site, their go to argument is he is a 6'4 guard. Which is not exactly ideal.

I wouldnt call settling for jumpers/3's on offense being too aggressive. Thats one of my main gripes is that he doesnt take it to the hole enough. And personally I just dont think he gives a whoot about defense.

Once again im with you, I want McCants here unless we can get something really good, but that doesnt mean his value around the league is very high.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves