ImageImageImage

David Harrison signing

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,607

Re: David Harrison signing 

Post#21 » by shrink » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:29 pm

horaceworthy wrote:I like the gamble. If he gets his head on semi-straight, we've got a Brendan Haywood type on our hands. If he doesn't work out, it's no skin off our backs. It makes up for not getting to roll the dice on Livingston.

It's scary, the Wolves are actually starting to resemble a well run organization, using their wide open roster to take looks at guys like Carney and Harrison. I know it's the same people in the front office, but now that the pressure to win with KG is off their backs, they're running the organization in a completely different manner while trying to build around Big Al. There's still a long way to go before we're a factor in anything meaningful, but the post KG trade moves have been fairly encouraging.

Good post, and I think the KG tie-in is 100% appropriate.

In the past, those extra roster spots would be filled with vets, probably over-priced, or longshot risks that have NBA experience (Oliver Miller, anyone?). When KG was here, we never got a chance to take chances and legitimately rebuild, as we sought that one extra player that would finally give KG his ring. I don't blame management -- fans and media would settle for nothing less while Garnett was on our team. However, the NBA is cyclical. You need to be bad before you can be good. Mediocre teams keep getting medicocre picks. Value comes from getting great, productive lottery picks on cheap NBA contracts. You can't trade for them if you keep getting mediocre trade assets/picks, and if you pick them up in free agency, they are never bargains any more.

David Harrison, Livinsgton, etc are players we can now audition. We can take the risk now because, if they are bad, they aren't hurting anyone's expectations for a championship.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,528

Post#22 » by Worm Guts » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:33 pm

shrink wrote:
David Harrison, Livinsgton, etc are players we can now audition. We can take the risk now because, if they are bad, they aren't hurting anyone's expectations for a championship.

We did take some risks with KG. Eddie Griffin immediately comes to mind, I think there were a couple others.
TMo519
Bench Warmer
And1: 25

Post#23 » by TMo519 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:10 pm

I have no qualms about Kevin McHale's ability to build up a team into being competitive or even a playoff worthy squad. It's once they get to that level, he starts making idiotic moves to try to "get over the top" or compound one mistake with two more. At least later in KG's run here that was the case. Going from the draft of KG up until the Joe Smith fiasco, I was happy with the direction of the Wolves, even with Marbury literally screwing us over. He made the nice trades to get us Sam & Spree to at least give us one memorable season with Ticket. But then he really went downhill from there. With the pressure of winning right this second gone, he's done well you gotta admit.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,887

Post#24 » by theGreatRC » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:43 pm

horaceworthy wrote:I like the gamble. If he gets his head on semi-straight, we've got a Brendan Haywood type on our hands. If he doesn't work out, it's no skin off our backs. It makes up for not getting to roll the dice on Livingston.

It's scary, the Wolves are actually starting to resemble a well run organization, using their wide open roster to take looks at guys like Carney and Harrison. I know it's the same people in the front office, but now that the pressure to win with KG is off their backs, they're running the organization in a completely different manner while trying to build around Big Al. There's still a long way to go before we're a factor in anything meaningful, but the post KG trade moves have been fairly encouraging.

Haywood type? That would be scary is he turned out to be a Haywood type, who IMO is a top 3 defensive center in the league.
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
TrentTuckerForever
Starter
And1: 2

Post#25 » by TrentTuckerForever » Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:28 pm

^Desagna Diop may be a better comparison because he was a lotto pick who didn't work out in Cleveland (for weight and conditioning issues, not off the court stuff like Harrison.) But once Diop was off his rookie contract and Dallas picked him up, he played his way into a valuable role on a championship-contending team.

If Harrison has learned how to be a pro, he could easily be that defensive-minded big off the bench that Diop is in Dallas.
Klomp wrote:Didn't Brad Miller back up Vlade Divac in SAC too?
farkingidiot
Freshman
And1: 5

Post#26 » by farkingidiot » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:51 am

David is a major head case and believe me, he will be poison for your team if he stays on the roster. Go on the Pacers forum and ask what people think of him. They'll give you an earful. I seriously doubt he's changed his ways overnight. This is the guy you wouldn't show up for early or extra practices, kept failing drug tests, got evicted from his condo for non-payment and disturbance issues, had several temper tantrums both on and off the court...the guy is bad news. You'd better pray he doesn't stck. There's a reason no one wanted to take a chance on him......except the Wolves.
4ho5ive
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Post#27 » by 4ho5ive » Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:54 am

According to wiretap, Harrison chose us over Chi-town and Dallas. Moral victory? I think so
Vindicater
General Manager
And1: 423

Post#28 » by Vindicater » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:18 am

Oh sweet jesus

You guys do know we are talking about David Harrison right?

the same guys that was given the starting job in Indiana with no real challenger to worry about and still proceeded to lose it.

The guy is big... and lazy... and a black hole on offense... and a foul machine.

The only good thing to come out of this is that it is not a guaranteed contract. If David Harrison becomes a main part of our rotation then we are ****
"That's why the last two years weren't guaranteed," Walsh said. "Either way, he knew it could have happened either way."
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#29 » by Devilzsidewalk » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:20 pm

farkingidiot wrote:David is a major head case and believe me, he will be poison for your team if he stays on the roster. Go on the Pacers forum and ask what people think of him. They'll give you an earful.

I did go the Pacers forum and ask what people think of him, but nobody was as negative as you; basically get the feeling he has some decent ability; not lottery talent, but 1st round talent; he can block and rebound, but foul trouble has hurt him. And his likability rating is 9 out of 10.

A third string big man unless he can cure foul trouble. Its a good risk. If he got an Olowokandi contract, or was drafted by us, he'd probably frustrate fans, but for the pittance he's getting from Minnesota as a free agent, its a nice signing.
horaceworthy
Head Coach
And1: 250

Post#30 » by horaceworthy » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:49 pm

theGreatRC wrote:

Haywood type? That would be scary is he turned out to be a Haywood type, who IMO is a top 3 defensive center in the league.

Haywood type if the light clicks completely on, of which there's probably a 2% chance or so. Their similarly built and have similar skill sets, Harrison just hasn't found a way to turn his into positive contributions on the court, and he's facing an uphill battle in doing so.
"A while back,'' Cardinal said, "I took a picture of the standings and texted it to Love, just to bust his chops,'' Cardinal said. "He sent me a picture back of a snowdrift.''

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves