ImageImageImage

Who has the most to prove?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Dan's with the Wolves
Pro Prospect
And1: 9

Who has the most to prove? 

Post#1 » by Dan's with the Wolves » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:54 am

Which of our young players has the most to prove this season?

Kevin Love - 1st year
Cory Brewer 2nd year
Randy Foye - 3rd year
Rashad McCants 4th year

You could add Telfair and Carney to the mix.
B Calrissian
Head Coach
And1: 17

Re: Who has the most to prove? 

Post#2 » by B Calrissian » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:56 am

Foye
McCants
Brewer
Love

In that order.
_AIJ_
RealGM
And1: 4,160

Post#3 » by _AIJ_ » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:38 am

IMO

randy
brewer
mccants
love

foye needs to prove this season that he can man up the point or else... corey has to prove that he's not a liability on offense and i think his jumpshot is clicking now(Pre-season). mccants, we know he can score a lot of points but he has to be efficient every night and he must get his head straight. and love, he's really a good young player only his defense is lacking but he still have lots of time to improve.
LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,518

Post#4 » by shrink » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:24 am

Great topic Dan's! I'd say the order is this:

1. Rashad McCants - He has a lot to overcome, and he has to do it this year. First, he is a restricted free agent, so its quite possible if he performs badly, MIN doesn't pay him, and he is playing in a contract year. Second, he has issues that present some negative perceptions of him, and he has to turn those around. Third, he's been in the league three years now, but because he missed a year-and-a-half, the pressure is on.

2. Randy Foye - He was injured, and has had a steep learning curve, but he needs to prove that he is a legitimate NBA PG that can run a team. His size limits his potential if he's only a SG, so this is the important year for him and for the Wolves.

3. Corey Brewer - He's been in the league only one year, so I think the expectations are lower than Love. However, he needs to do a lot on the offensive end to justify his selection so high in the draft. That means a big jump over last year. He has the potential to not get back to a starting position.

4. Kevin Love - He's a rookie. He bears the pressure of OJ Mayo comparisons, but I think since he's a rookie, the pressure isn't as great this year.

This is a huge deal for the first three, and in my opinion, it will determine their careers for the next ten years. I am really going to enjoy watching them compete this season.
deeney0
RealGM

Post#5 » by deeney0 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:37 am

Love has the least to prove. The rest all have tons to prove, hard to pick one as the most. I guess I'll go with Shaddy, it being a contract year and all.
Dan's with the Wolves
Pro Prospect

Post#6 » by Dan's with the Wolves » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:01 am

shrink wrote:Great topic Dan's! I'd say the order is this:

1. Rashad McCants - He has a lot to overcome, and he has to do it this year. First, he is a restricted free agent, so its quite possible if he performs badly, MIN doesn't pay him, and he is playing in a contract year. Second, he has issues that present some negative perceptions of him, and he has to turn those around. Third, he's been in the league three years now, but because he missed a year-and-a-half, the pressure is on.

2. Randy Foye - He was injured, and has had a steep learning curve, but he needs to prove that he is a legitimate NBA PG that can run a team. His size limits his potential if he's only a SG, so this is the important year for him and for the Wolves.

3. Corey Brewer - He's been in the league only one year, so I think the expectations are lower than Love. However, he needs to do a lot on the offensive end to justify his selection so high in the draft. That means a big jump over last year. He has the potential to not get back to a starting position.

4. Kevin Love - He's a rookie. He bears the pressure of OJ Mayo comparisons, but I think since he's a rookie, the pressure isn't as great this year.

This is a huge deal for the first three, and in my opinion, it will determine their careers for the next ten years. I am really going to enjoy watching them compete this season.

Thanks Shrink. I too am looking forward to see if any of these guys step up. They certainly will be given the opportunity.
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Post#7 » by Basti » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:59 am

I would actually say that since there are so many people who've already given up on Rashad that he's actually not the one who's got to prove the most. don't get me wrong, he has to prove a lot but IMO it is Corey who has the most pressure to prove the most. why? because people say he played like a D-leaguer while he was a lottery pick. Foye IMO doesn't have as much to prove because he was injured which makes it slightly less for me but I guess it is just me because I count injuries as reasons to take off some pressure (unless it is a Monta Ellis type injury.
southern wolf
General Manager
And1: 2,163

Post#8 » by southern wolf » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:50 am

Foye boy because of the trade with Roy and the constant comparisons. Also a lot of pressure comes with being the starting point gaurd no matter how good you are.
Tirion
Assistant Coach
And1: 290

Post#9 » by Tirion » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:29 am

foye
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#10 » by Devilzsidewalk » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:15 pm

pretty much everybody has a good deal to prove:

Most is Randy Wittman because a lot of people think he's a really **** (rhymes with smitty) coach, and he's been here a little while and people are impatient to see improvement. It'd take an unreasonable season, probably .500 or so, for people to get off his back, so he's got quite a bit to prove.

McCants because he's already entering his first major contract, but hasn't really been able to prove he's the type of player he believes he is

Brewer because he was a supposed to be relatively polished and was a mid lotto pick, but had a rather weak rookie season

Foye because he was also supposed to be polished, but he's been on the path to role-player stardom rather than superstardom.

Love because he's the highest pick since Christian Laettner and a lot of people don't believe in him, but did believe in OJ Mayo.

Miller because he's the veteran presence and if the Wolves don't improve by a decent margin, a lot of people are going to wonder what the point of adding him was.

Telfair because he's 23 now and passed the "well, that's okay because he'd only be a junior in college right now) phase. He's now at the point where people will stop thinking future and potential and start carving out their perceptions.

Carney because it's rare to have a team so unsettled at the swing position; this is a golden opportunity for him to prove himself and get a good spot in the rotation. He's not a kid anymore either, if you think you have the talent, it's time to shine.

Collins because this offseason is going to be his last decent contract chance. With the lack of true centers, he's in a position to take a big role. This season will be the difference between 4 million dollars and some years on his next contract.

Gomes & Smith because they're rather proven talents and both probably view themselves as easily 35 mpg kinda guys in the NBA. But alas they'll have a tough time getting that unless they play out of their minds, so they have to prove themselves minute by minute and make a ton of plays, otherwise they're going to be in the 15-25 minute range most likely.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#11 » by Mattya » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:42 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:pretty much everybody has a good deal to prove:

Most is Randy Wittman because a lot of people think he's a really **** (rhymes with smitty) coach, and he's been here a little while and people are impatient to see improvement. It'd take an unreasonable season, probably .500 or so, for people to get off his back, so he's got quite a bit to prove.

McCants because he's already entering his first major contract, but hasn't really been able to prove he's the type of player he believes he is

Brewer because he was a supposed to be relatively polished and was a mid lotto pick, but had a rather weak rookie season

Foye because he was also supposed to be polished, but he's been on the path to role-player stardom rather than superstardom.

Love because he's the highest pick since Christian Laettner and a lot of people don't believe in him, but did believe in OJ Mayo.

Miller because he's the veteran presence and if the Wolves don't improve by a decent margin, a lot of people are going to wonder what the point of adding him was.

Telfair because he's 23 now and passed the "well, that's okay because he'd only be a junior in college right now) phase. He's now at the point where people will stop thinking future and potential and start carving out their perceptions.

Carney because it's rare to have a team so unsettled at the swing position; this is a golden opportunity for him to prove himself and get a good spot in the rotation. He's not a kid anymore either, if you think you have the talent, it's time to shine.

Collins because this offseason is going to be his last decent contract chance. With the lack of true centers, he's in a position to take a big role. This season will be the difference between 4 million dollars and some years on his next contract.

Gomes & Smith because they're rather proven talents and both probably view themselves as easily 35 mpg kinda guys in the NBA. But alas they'll have a tough time getting that unless they play out of their minds, so they have to prove themselves minute by minute and make a ton of plays, otherwise they're going to be in the 15-25 minute range most likely.

i agree with this. Everyone on this team has something to prove this year. Al Jefferson needs to be near the top of this list. He needs to show he's not just the Offensive beast, but at least a decent defensive player as well.

I really hope Foye plays well this year, if he doesn't I think the pressure of having to live up to ROY will get to him.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#12 » by Devilzsidewalk » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:46 pm

yea I forgot all about Jefferson for some reason, he definitely has a lot to prove on defense and conditioning too I'd say
prefuse73
Sixth Man
And1: 44

Post#13 » by prefuse73 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:16 pm

Foye. Like everyone has said, he needs to prove that he can be the #2 guy on this team and play PG.

Jefferson. He needs to prove he can be a C and provide some D. He actually has averaged close to 2 blks a game this preseason which is great.

McCants. He, like Jefferson, needs to earn his playing time by learning to D up and play team basketball.

Brewer. Opposite of McCants, can he play on offense. He is the ideal person to start with Foye and Miller, but he has to prove he can hang.

Love. He all the skills to compliment Jefferson extremly well, he just needs to get himself in great shape so he can hang with an NBA PF. I have no worries about his work ethic or desire to be great.

like it was said earlier, everyone on this team has something to prove, but these guys are the key components of our future.
jack612
Senior
And1: 335

Post#14 » by jack612 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:19 pm

Randy Wittman
4ho5ive
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Post#15 » by 4ho5ive » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:21 pm

Im surprised nobody has mentioned the FO as a candidate here. They have to prove that they can take a team from the rebuilding phase to a contender. I think its a little far-fetched to think that all the young guys on the team right now will be here down the road, which means the FO has to figure out which guys they want to go forward with and try to get value out of the other guys. The pressure to win this year is not as bad, but we have to start carving out our team image.

They need to decide what to do with all these guys. RDub included.
deeney0
RealGM

Post#16 » by deeney0 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:10 pm

Devilz has the most to prove, now. Forgetting Al?
Vindicater
General Manager
And1: 423

Post#17 » by Vindicater » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:58 am

Devilzsidewalk wrote:Love because he's the highest pick since Christian Laettner and a lot of people don't believe in him, but did believe in OJ Mayo.

Ummm.... did you forget KG and Marbury...
"That's why the last two years weren't guaranteed," Walsh said. "Either way, he knew it could have happened either way."
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#18 » by Devilzsidewalk » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:41 am

Kevin Love is the 3rd pick for all intents and purposes
invno1
Starter

Post#19 » by invno1 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:06 am

Heard a rumor....Mike Miller & Corey Brewer have been shooting lots of baskets together. Miller shoots so many shots a day, he has to. Well rumor is Brewer has been doing the workout with Miller for some time now. Timberwolves have a nice mix this year.
deeney0
RealGM

Post#20 » by deeney0 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:49 pm

Brewer is shooting 78% from three in the preseason. It's either Mike Miller or those Wheaties.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves