OT studying in the Twin City Area

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

OT studying in the Twin City Area 

Post#1 » by Basti » Tue Nov 4, 2008 12:26 am

I don't know if anyone knows what I'm currently studying so I say it here: Scandinavian Studies. it doesn't really matter anway. but today I read a text about some scandinavian lectures and at one point it was mentioned that the University of Minnesota also has an institute of Scandinavian Studies. I was actually quite surprised in the 1st moment but then I recalled that there are a lot of people with scandinavian heritage living in Minnesota.
it got me thinking if I could somehow manage to be able to study for an exchange semester over there. so my point is: does anyone here know how much it would cost me to live there for half a year? what are the regular prices for an apartment, for food or for other costs that are inevitable.
I also talked to a man who's responsible for exchange programmes (even if he's only in charge for Europe) and he told me it is relatively likely for me to gain a scholarship. if that is true it would make it all way easier considering there's a huge difference between Europe and America in terms of tuition fees.

thx in advance for any help!
PeeDee
Sixth Man
And1: 66

Re: OT studying in the Twin City Area 

Post#2 » by PeeDee » Tue Nov 4, 2008 12:58 am

You can get a studio apt in some neighborhoods of Minneapolis for around $485-$500 a month. If you want roomies, you can probably get a better deal than that. Check craigslist.org Almost anywhere in Minneapolis is on the U of M bus line. Most apts will include utilities.

It's hard to give you a cost on food, I don't know what you eat.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,881

Post#3 » by theGreatRC » Tue Nov 4, 2008 1:18 am

^
Damn, that is such a good price. Me & my sister are paying 1,600 for an apartment here in California
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
PeeDee
Sixth Man

Post#4 » by PeeDee » Tue Nov 4, 2008 1:48 am

Yeah, I just moved back to the Twin Cities from Boston where I was paying $1400 a month not including utilities.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,100

Post#5 » by Calinks » Tue Nov 4, 2008 1:57 am

I'm gonna buy me a nice bathroom and just live in there for a few years.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#6 » by Devilzsidewalk » Tue Nov 4, 2008 2:57 pm

the_incredible_basti wrote:I don't know if anyone knows what I'm currently studying so I say it here: Scandinavian Studies. it doesn't really matter anway. but today I read a text about some scandinavian lectures and at one point it was mentioned that the University of Minnesota also has an institute of Scandinavian Studies. I was actually quite surprised in the 1st moment but then I recalled that there are a lot of people with scandinavian heritage living in Minnesota.
it got me thinking if I could somehow manage to be able to study for an exchange semester over there. so my point is: does anyone here know how much it would cost me to live there for half a year? what are the regular prices for an apartment, for food or for other costs that are inevitable.
I also talked to a man who's responsible for exchange programmes (even if he's only in charge for Europe) and he told me it is relatively likely for me to gain a scholarship. if that is true it would make it all way easier considering there's a huge difference between Europe and America in terms of tuition fees.

thx in advance for any help!

food is 15 cents for Ramen, and then all the fast food restaurants have dollar menus. 59 cent taco tuesday at Taco Johns too. You can buy 50 tacos and eat all week for whatever 59 times 50 is. Like 3 dollars I guess.

Apartments are generally 600 - 700 for a 1 bedroom, though I had a studio apartment for 420 I think, but I had a sign a waiver about the lead paint and I couldn't drill holes in the wall and stuff... you know, because of the lead paint. Lead paint is no big deal though, it leads to nerve damage and some memory loss. I had this studio apartment once with lead paint. I had to sign a waiver about the lead paint and I couldn't drill holes in the wall and stuff. Lead paint is no big deal though, it leads to nerve damage and some memory loss. I had this studio apartment once with lead paint. I had to sign a waiver about the lead paint and I couldn't drill holes in the wall and stuff. Lead paint is no big deal though, it leads to nerve damage and some memory loss. WHY CAN'T I FEEL MY FINGERS!!!
TrentTuckerForever
Starter
And1: 2

Post#7 » by TrentTuckerForever » Tue Nov 4, 2008 8:33 pm

^ Devilz, I'd rent to you. No less lead paint in my rental property in NE Minneapolis, but the GREAT thing about Northeast is that there's a bar, liquor store or church on every corner. Sin, sin, salvation.
Klomp wrote:Didn't Brad Miller back up Vlade Divac in SAC too?
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#8 » by Devilzsidewalk » Tue Nov 4, 2008 8:38 pm

or salvation, salvation, sin from my perspective
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by Basti » Tue Nov 4, 2008 11:25 pm

thx for all the replies

PeeDee wrote:It's hard to give you a cost on food, I don't know what you eat.

well that's the thing for me. I don't eat any meat, fish or chicken (vegetarian here) but from what I've heard about america is that it is cheaper to get a meal at McDonalds or other fast food restaurants than it would be to buy some vegetables, bread and some normal food that you eat. so I'd say I need bread, cheese, some vegetables, chocolate to smear, some jam and honey. that's it basically. occasionally some food that I can cook as well. here in Berlin I normally spend around 100 euro a month for food which is around 130 dollar. is that a comparable figure?
PeeDee
Sixth Man

Post#10 » by PeeDee » Tue Nov 4, 2008 11:33 pm

You'd be able to eat EASY on $130 a month for yourself. Go to Aldi's. They have some good deals on food. And if you're used to Europe you'll feel right at home. if you've got the extra bank, go to the Wedge or Seward Co-ops. Wicked good organic vegetarian fair, but you pay for it.

Fast food isn't as cheap as you might think. Plus it's always a regrettable purchase.
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Basti » Tue Nov 4, 2008 11:39 pm

PeeDee wrote:You'd be able to eat EASY on $130 a month for yourself. Go to Aldi's. They have some good deals on food. And if you're used to Europe you'll feel right at home. if you've got the extra bank, go to the Wedge or Seward Co-ops. Wicked good organic vegetarian fair, but you pay for it.

Fast food isn't as cheap as you might think. Plus it's always a regrettable purchase.

wow you've got Aldi over there? it would be like being home...

so all in all I'd need at least 700 bucks per month? this is a reasonable price I guess. too bad for me the dollar is catching up again.

how hard would it be to find a job for me? are there any restrictions for foreign students?
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#12 » by Devilzsidewalk » Wed Nov 5, 2008 2:53 pm

I do believe you need a work visa to work. Going to school just gets you a student visa. You apply through the dept of homeland security. Pretty simple process, some paperwork back and forth, quick anal probe, and you're ready to go.
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Basti » Wed Nov 5, 2008 8:33 pm

k thx for the info. this is what I thought. damn visa bureaucracy...
shrink
RealGM
And1: 13,824

Post#14 » by shrink » Wed Nov 5, 2008 9:04 pm

You won't get homesick. Some smaller communities near the Twin Cities embrace their Scandinavian heritage, and still speak it. I had torsk (?) in Lindstrom MN last month.

I think we have a big hertiage center in NW Minneapolis too, right?
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by Basti » Wed Nov 5, 2008 9:33 pm

shrink wrote:You won't get homesick. Some smaller communities near the Twin Cities embrace their Scandinavian heritage, and still speak it. I had torsk (?) in Lindstrom MN last month.

I think we have a big hertiage center in NW Minneapolis too, right?

I highly doubt I would get homesick when I would have the chance to see the wolves at least 82 times a year while not staying up until early morning :D
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#16 » by C.lupus » Thu Nov 6, 2008 4:10 pm

basti: Here are a couple websites with visa information. I think you would need an F-1 visa (for students going to an accredited college).

http://www.unitedstatesvisas.gov/visapolicy/index.html

http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1268.html

There are work restrictions with the student visas but I believe you can get a part-time on-campus job:
F-1 students are not allowed to work during their first academic year, with the exception of on-campus work. This can include jobs on campus such as in the library or at certain off-campus locations that have an educational affiliation with the school. When school is in session, work is limited to 20 hours per week. The student can work on campus full time while school is not in session, like during school vacations or in the summer.

I think you would feel at home in Minnesota. It is one of the top 6 states in terms of German ancestry and also one of the top in terms of Scandinavian ancestry. Plus, there is a certain basketball team here...
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#17 » by Devilzsidewalk » Thu Nov 6, 2008 4:18 pm

you can apply for economic hardship though and work off-campus, but you have to have a good excuse. And you have to pay like $320 to apply I think I was told.

http://www.upenn.edu/oip/iss/visa/f1/hardship.html

My gf is currently awaiting her decision back on this.
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by Basti » Fri Nov 7, 2008 12:06 am

C.lupus wrote:basti: Here are a couple websites with visa information. I think you would need an F-1 visa (for students going to an accredited college).

http://www.unitedstatesvisas.gov/visapolicy/index.html

http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1268.html

There are work restrictions with the student visas but I believe you can get a part-time on-campus job:
F-1 students are not allowed to work during their first academic year, with the exception of on-campus work. This can include jobs on campus such as in the library or at certain off-campus locations that have an educational affiliation with the school. When school is in session, work is limited to 20 hours per week. The student can work on campus full time while school is not in session, like during school vacations or in the summer.

I think you would feel at home in Minnesota. It is one of the top 6 states in terms of German ancestry and also one of the top in terms of Scandinavian ancestry. Plus, there is a certain basketball team here...

thank you for that (and for your info too Devilz)

weren't you that fella who had norwegian ancestors?
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#19 » by C.lupus » Fri Nov 7, 2008 12:23 am

You betcha. I don't think I'm the only one with Norwegian heritage on this board, though. I remember there were quite a few lefse lovers here around Christmas.
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by Basti » Fri Nov 7, 2008 12:38 am

oh yeah I can recall

klomp was one of them too but doesn't he have dutch parents or something?

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves