ImageImageImage

VOTE OR DIE!!!

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

TrentTuckerForever
Starter
And1: 2

Re: VOTE OR DIE!!! 

Post#41 » by TrentTuckerForever » Tue Nov 4, 2008 8:49 pm

[quote="shrink"] For the Senate, I voted for neither. I didn't like Coleman (insert as many reasons as you like), and Franken is clearly unqualified for a six-year term in the Senate. I understand he came up the ranks to oppose the Rush Limbaugh's of the world, but I oppose extremists and the unqualified, so Franken typifies exactly what I don't want in a politician. [quote]

I really respect that. I'm in IL now, but my family is all still back in MN, and I'm familar with these yahoos. Coleman v Franken is like choosing between a root canal and a colonoscopy.

Rush is a grandstanding blowhard who's done as much to ruin public discourse as any one individual in the last fifty years, but he's never run for office. I kind of respect that in a weird way.
Klomp wrote:Didn't Brad Miller back up Vlade Divac in SAC too?
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#42 » by Devilzsidewalk » Tue Nov 4, 2008 8:55 pm

shrink wrote:
Devilzsidewalk wrote:I just don't want a president that kills people

I've got four uncles that are retired colonels, so I am a little taken aback. They made a sacrifice to their country that I was unwilling to, and I respect them for that.

I don't know if you mean you're offended by my comment, but I'm saying under what circumstances are military personnel dying for - if it's to stop the spread of world wide Nazi control in WWII, then that's a cause most anybody can understand. If it's a war based on endless strings of lies, then that's so wrong for so many reasons and there shouldn't be anything to mull over. Obama isn't perfect in this regard either, but he shows a far more sincere desire to do what's right

I at least feel fortunate that even many of the military personnel themselves have come to see that they're being used in pawns in a war that has nothing to do with September 11th and everything to do with shady business deals.

McCain could've easily had my vote; we see eye to eye on several issues I think are important; but he lost me on his desperate pandering to his party extremists. If his campaigning means anything, and I think it does, then he's nothing even remotely resembling an independent.
SSUBluesman
Assistant Coach
And1: 761

Post#43 » by SSUBluesman » Tue Nov 4, 2008 10:08 pm

Not voting, but if I did it would start with Nader and most likely involve mostly third party candidates for many of the remaining spots.

McCain would sell his entire family into slavery for the chance to taste the power of the presidency. Any sort of decency or character (people still think he has that? LOL) went out the window when he realized the presidency was more important. He's never been a "maverick", he's always been solidly conservative except on more noticeable issues, which works great for an ignorant public that is AWOL most of the time.

Obama does nothing except make worse the INSTITUTIONAL issues that are the root problems of the slowly failing government. Not that campaign finance was in that great a shape before (I'm sure that's not McCain's fault though), however it's pretty much on life support after the fundraising orgy Obama went on. I hate the thought of an Obama presidency for the simple fact it pushes back the timetable where (hopefully) people wake the **** up.
2008 NBA Champions-Boston Celtics
2009 NBA ChampionsLos Angeles Lakers
2010 NBA Champions-Vacated due to lack of worthy recipients
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#44 » by Devilzsidewalk » Tue Nov 4, 2008 10:19 pm

SSUBluesman wrote:Not voting, but if I did it would start with Nader and most likely involve mostly third party candidates for many of the remaining spots.

McCain would sell his entire family into slavery for the chance to taste the power of the presidency. Any sort of decency or character (people still think he has that? LOL) went out the window when he realized the presidency was more important. He's never been a "maverick", he's always been solidly conservative except on more noticeable issues, which works great for an ignorant public that is AWOL most of the time.

Obama does nothing except make worse the INSTITUTIONAL issues that are the root problems of the slowly failing government. Not that campaign finance was in that great a shape before (I'm sure that's not McCain's fault though), however it's pretty much on life support after the fundraising orgy Obama went on. I hate the thought of an Obama presidency for the simple fact it pushes back the timetable where (hopefully) people wake the **** up.

I agree with all that, but I've already seen what happens when a statement vote for Nader happens; a siphoning effect and the worse of the 2 candidates gets elected and things go all to hell.

I'm starting to accept that change has to come slowly. You can't go from Bush to Nader in one fell swoop, there needs to be a bridging politician and a less drastic change or else people will be hiding under their american flag bed covers, weeping and stroking their shotguns for comfort.
casey
General Manager
And1: 7

Post#45 » by casey » Tue Nov 4, 2008 10:59 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:you'll change your tune when you see all the "I Voted" stickers and start feeling left out

I was thinking about investing in a "I didn't vote" sticker, but was too lazy to get past the thinking phase.
"I'm Ricky Rubio."
--Ricky Rubio
Gunny
Pro Prospect
And1: 491

Post#46 » by Gunny » Tue Nov 4, 2008 11:00 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:aikido is only used for self defense, Steven Seagal would protect the whole country from terrorism with the dim mak

What the hell is a dim mack?

/Ray Jackson imitation

I voted for McCain. It's really sad that it's come down to the fact that I have to vote for the guy who I disagree with less.
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Post#47 » by Basti » Tue Nov 4, 2008 11:36 pm

does anyone know here when they'll release the first results? I gotta get up in abour 6 1/2 hours and I'd like to know if there is something released by then.
hijacktheparade
Starter
And1: 4

Post#48 » by hijacktheparade » Tue Nov 4, 2008 11:41 pm

I believe 1% of Indiana is already in. How exciting.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#49 » by Devilzsidewalk » Tue Nov 4, 2008 11:51 pm

casey wrote:
Devilzsidewalk wrote:you'll change your tune when you see all the "I Voted" stickers and start feeling left out

I was thinking about investing in a "I didn't vote" sticker, but was too lazy to get past the thinking phase.

I actually thought about the exact same thing earlier, I was gonna google it earlier to see if they sell such things, but like yourself I got lost in a sea of laziness.

I don't think people would find it funny though, they'd just shake their head in disapproval. But I'm all for the philosophy in doing something that irritates everyone else so long as it provides a brief moment of self-amusement, and I have over 10,000 posts to prove it.
casey
General Manager

Post#50 » by casey » Wed Nov 5, 2008 12:14 am

Devilzsidewalk wrote:I don't think people would find it funny though, they'd just shake their head in disapproval. But I'm all for the philosophy in doing something that irritates everyone else so long as it provides a brief moment of self-amusement, and I have over 10,000 posts to prove it.

story of my life
"I'm Ricky Rubio."
--Ricky Rubio
shrink
RealGM
And1: 13,802

Post#51 » by shrink » Wed Nov 5, 2008 12:42 am

I've recently wondered about the drive to get people to vote. It isn't the drive to get people to get educated and vote, just to vote. It seems to me that these efforts benefit the bad choice, hoping to get more uninformed votes.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 13,802

Post#52 » by shrink » Wed Nov 5, 2008 12:52 am

SSUBluesman wrote:Not voting, but if I did it would start with Nader and most likely involve mostly third party candidates for many of the remaining spots.

I agree, and respect Nader as well, and any politician who honestly believes what he says. He doesn't change his tune depending on who he's talking to.

McCain has consistently been one of the ten most independent senators, voting against party lines. You can check different senates by changing the 106 to other sessions.

http://projects.washingtonpost.com/cong ... ty-voters/

Incidentally, this idea about McCain being non-independent now? He was 64th in voting with his party in 2006-08, and 93rd in voting with his party in 2004-06. Obama was 13th and 5th.

I agree McCain has really wanted to be president, but I don't understand how you justify your stance with his near political suicide for stopping the Republican judge nominations with the Gang of 14?
the_bruce
Analyst
And1: 57

Post#53 » by the_bruce » Wed Nov 5, 2008 12:52 am

shrink wrote:I've recently wondered about the drive to get people to vote. It isn't the drive to get people to get educated and vote, just to vote. It seems to me that these efforts benefit the bad choice, hoping to get more uninformed votes.

The same could be said for large portions of the party bases. They aren't what one would call informed on the issues. They just vote for their party regardless. Elections are ra popularity contest.

There isn't an IQ test to be president!
casey
General Manager

Post#54 » by casey » Wed Nov 5, 2008 12:54 am

shrink wrote:I've recently wondered about the drive to get people to vote. It isn't the drive to get people to get educated and vote, just to vote. It seems to me that these efforts benefit the bad choice, hoping to get more uninformed votes.

Exactly. If you're not educated on what the candidates offer, you're doing your country a disservice by voting.
"I'm Ricky Rubio."
--Ricky Rubio
the_bruce
Analyst
And1: 57

Post#55 » by the_bruce » Wed Nov 5, 2008 1:09 am

shrink wrote:I agree McCain has really wanted to be president, but I don't understand how you justify your stance with his near political suicide for stopping the Republican judge nominations with the Gang of 14?

I think you are vastly overstating how "suicidal" this is to McCains political endeavors. He crushed his opponent in 2004 and was just reelected prior to the gang of 14 judge bs. He just signed a long term deal in 2004 and public favor for how the republicans had been running the whitehouse was obviously on his side here. Sure the far right hates him, but whatever who cares about those ****! Anyway my point is it was far from political suicide for him as his term doesn't end for a few more years....and he was far from a front runner before that to get the presidential nod. He's to old for another senate term too. So I just disagree with that whole political suicide thing.

Fact of the matter is republicans didn't really want him as their canidate...
he's old?
He wasn't even supported in the primaries by 1/2 the republican base(they hated him)
but He's probably the only person they could have put up that would have a chance to beat a democrate this election
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,083

Post#56 » by Calinks » Wed Nov 5, 2008 1:11 am

How were your ballots where you voted? We had to fill in ovals but we had huge black makres. Aren't you supposed to have number 2 pencils for that?
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#57 » by Devilzsidewalk » Wed Nov 5, 2008 3:06 am

shrink wrote:
Incidentally, this idea about McCain being non-independent now? He was 64th in voting with his party in 2006-08, and 93rd in voting with his party in 2004-06. Obama was 13th and 5th.

I agree McCain has really wanted to be president, but I don't understand how you justify your stance with his near political suicide for stopping the Republican judge nominations with the Gang of 14?

but his party is the republican party isn't it? as seen on fox news? voting along party lines slightly less often than your competitors when your party is the dark side is not impressive to me. I'm unreasonable like that.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#58 » by Devilzsidewalk » Wed Nov 5, 2008 4:47 am

AROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,083

Post#59 » by Calinks » Wed Nov 5, 2008 5:37 am

I got to give props to McCain for that speech. That Obama speech, man, that was awesome. The impact that this man has on people... I will be telling my kids about this.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
My Main Man
Bench Warmer
And1: 3,456

Post#60 » by My Main Man » Wed Nov 5, 2008 5:40 am

I just have to say, as mostly a lurker, I appreciate how the Wolves board folks are able to discuss this so peacefully.

shrink - as much as I disagree with 90% of your statements in this thread, I'm not necessarily offended by them. That's pretty incredible to me.

I DO agree with your statement on uninformed voters. But really, that statement can go either way. I can guarantee that a lot of people came out to vote strictly AGAINST Obama who were completely uninformed.

Just my 2 cents. But really, this Wolves board is my favorite of the few I know of and this thread just proves it. The people who voted for McCain seem to be taking it in stride and the Obama people aren't gloating.

I may just be high from the Obama win.......plus Telfair coming back tomorrow.

ARRROOOOOOOO

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves