ImageImageImage

Who's to blame

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

What's the biggest reason for the Wolves dismal record

Wittman's coaching
44%
McHale's offseason moves (trading away Mayo and/or Chalmers)
22%
Players lack of trust and defense
16%
Another factor
13%
No opinion
6%

Total votes: 32

4ho5ive
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Re: Who's to blame 

Post#21 » by 4ho5ive » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:58 am

the_incredible_basti wrote:^ wow it is not THAT bad. I expected something around 110 points

Other than the blowout against Sac which ended up being like 11 i think we have losses of 3, 10, 4, 4. All our games are close, we just arent winning them. With real coaching worst case scenario we are 3-3.

ALICEinJAM wrote:why did we even hire wittbrick as the coach? Dwayne Casey was not so bad as a coach when he was here.

The FO needed a cop out because we werent winning with KG, Mike James and Ricky. We werent WINNING with MIKE JAMES and RICKY DAVIS. Honestly who has won with these guys?

I miss Casey so much. I see him on the Mavericks sidelines and i want to call him, but i dont think he thinks about me anymore. I wish we could be together again..=~~~(
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#22 » by Devilzsidewalk » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:25 pm

I think Wittman is the classic good college coach, bad NBA coach type. It's been pretty well proven that NBA players don't respond to coaches that dictate. You need to give NBA players huge margin for error.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,317

Post#23 » by Calinks » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:29 pm

Yea he seems to be treating players like young kids but not a lot of NBA players respond to that. He's like a destitute man's Bobby Knight. And the reason why we hired him is because he is super cheap and he is in Taylor's inner clique. Casey had his problems many of his lineups were nothing to scream about either but the man was a rookie head coach and he had us at 500.

He had Ricky Davis and McCants playing defense, Foye also looked pretty nice under him. I have heard that Casey is also behind Gerald Green's recent success in Dallas, he seems like the perfect coach for a rebuilding situation. I think that by now he would have most of his problems like rotations and poor offensive sets straightened out by now.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Post#24 » by Basti » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:50 pm

I never ever thought I'd say this but I WANT DWAYNE CASEY BACK. soooo badly...
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#25 » by Devilzsidewalk » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:33 pm

Calinks3 wrote:Yea he seems to be treating players like young kids but not a lot of NBA players respond to that. He's like a destitute man's Bobby Knight. And the reason why we hired him is because he is super cheap and he is in Taylor's inner clique. Casey had his problems many of his lineups were nothing to scream about either but the man was a rookie head coach and he had us at 500.

He had Ricky Davis and McCants playing defense, Foye also looked pretty nice under him. I have heard that Casey is also behind Gerald Green's recent success in Dallas, he seems like the perfect coach for a rebuilding situation. I think that by now he would have most of his problems like rotations and poor offensive sets straightened out by now.

I know the front office didn't like Casey and Flip's lack of discipline, but Cassell, Sprewell and Ricky Davis don't listen to anyone and Wittman is the opposite extreme.

If you're Randy Wittman, players aren't going to listen to you if they don't think you understand their talents. McCants and Foye made their names in college being elite #1scorers. There's obviously a gulf between what Wittman expects from them and what Rashad and Foye think they are.

A little communication doesn't hurt. Rashad was the leading scorer of a UNC team that went from being a non tournament team to a national championship under his watch, so he's got something to offer. Wittman can say "I don't have time for this" and not bother, but that's a total waste. I don't believe these players that were kicking ass in high school, college, and in their rookie years, all of a sudden suck at basketball. I don't sense any compromise going on; don't they always say a good coach understands and plays a style to his players' strengths? We've got some dangerous perimeter scorers, but you wouldn't know it by watching them.

Something has to change - compromise on a playing and coaching style that works for both parties, change the players to fit the coach's style, or change the coach to fit the players' style.
But for Wittman to get all pissed because the players don't play exactly how he wants, and for the players to pout because Wittman doesn't understand their talent - that's not working for me, watching these games is pissin me off. I’m a mushroom-cloud-layin’ mother ****, mother ****! Every time my fingers touch brain I’m superfly TNT; I’m The Guns Of The Navarone.

I got sidetracked, sorry about that.
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#26 » by deeney0 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:40 pm

RSW is not a good coach, but it's not his fault Randy Foye unlearned how to shoot.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#27 » by Devilzsidewalk » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:41 pm

deeney0 wrote:RSW is not a good coach, but it's not his fault Randy Foye unlearned how to shoot.

but it is his fault that he's trying to turn Randy Foye into Eric Snow. And thats just....freaking criminal.
cpfsf
General Manager
And1: 1,104
Location: sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell

Post#28 » by cpfsf » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:44 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:
deeney0 wrote:RSW is not a good coach, but it's not his fault Randy Foye unlearned how to shoot.

but it is his fault that he's trying to turn Randy Foye into Eric Snow. And thats just....freaking criminal.

I think people just had too high expectations of everyone. Not every single player could have improved so much.

sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,020

Post#29 » by Dewey » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:44 am

Reward minutes based on defensive points. Seems we're having a problem with players on the defensvie side of things. Fix it, then move on with those who hav the ability & willingness to do it right. If we can't find 5 players who can D it up, then we move them. This is not rocket science.

We're getting beat, we're losing. Losing is reason to make changes. Wittman has the right ideas, he's just walking the walk.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#30 » by deeney0 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:37 pm

There is plenty of blame to go around, but if Foye shot even marginally better this team would be 4-2 instead of 1-5.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,570

Post#31 » by shrink » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:42 pm

I blame the French
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#32 » by Devilzsidewalk » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:56 pm

I blame Mark Madsen, cheer harder you schmuck.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves