ImageImageImage

You know it had to happen (Min/NJ)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

prefuse73
Sixth Man
And1: 44

You know it had to happen (Min/NJ) 

Post#1 » by prefuse73 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:30 pm

Okay, Sean Williams can be had cheap right now and we should go after him. I don't know what the issues are with him in NJ. He had a hot start last year and seemed to block everything that came into the paint and he looked like a steal as a mid-first round pick. He represents everything that we need in a rotation with Love and Jefferson. He is athletic and can block some shots.

There are only a couple realistic options we could do.

1.) Booth (exp) + (Boston or Utah) pick for Williams
2.) Carney for Williams straight up

It would would be possible to do a Smith - Williams or McCants - Williams swap, but both would require filler and the result would be a bad deal for one of the teams.

My preference is #1. NJ gets an expired (even if small) deal to wipe Williams salary off the books and they get another 1st round pick. His value is really low right now, so I don't think it should require much more than this. A follow up deal with Smith would have to come after Dec. 15th.

Jefferson (35) - Williams (6) - Collins (7)
Williams (18) - Love (30)
Gomes (24) - Brewer (24)
Miller (35) - Foye (13) - Carney
Telfair (28) - Foye (20)
TDWOLVESFAN
Sophomore
And1: 1

Re: You know it had to happen (Min/NJ) 

Post#2 » by TDWOLVESFAN » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:18 pm

[color=#00FFFF]
prefuse73 wrote:
1.) Booth (exp) + (Boston or Utah) pick for Williams
or McCants - Williams swap

Jefferson (35) - Williams (6) - Collins (7)
Williams (18) - Love (30)
Gomes (24) - Brewer (24)
Miller (35) - Foye (13) - Carney
Telfair (28) - Foye (20)
[/color]
Larry the cable guy called and said "Get 'er done".
I've been a fan since the beginning and I will be until my end.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#3 » by Devilzsidewalk » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:41 pm

I don't get it though, he hasn't done anything wrong publicly that I can recall, why are they so desperate to get rid of him?
the_bruce
Analyst
And1: 57

Post#4 » by the_bruce » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:44 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:I don't get it though, he hasn't done anything wrong publicly that I can recall, why are they so desperate to get rid of him?

All he can do is D up and block shots! Plus Boone and Lopez are who they are commited too. No room for him imo. He is the perfect fit for MN.
IcemanMN
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#5 » by IcemanMN » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:18 pm

All he can do is D up and block shots. Isn't that an exact description of Collins, who is two (2) inches taller than Williams? Why are we not playing Collins???
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Post#6 » by Basti » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:24 pm

IcemanMN wrote:All he can do is D up and block shots. Isn't that an exact description of Collins, who is two (2) inches taller than Williams? Why are we not playing Collins???

I never heard of Collins being able to block shots. his only skill he is said to have is being able to play solid-good man D and having a decent midrange J

I'm all for trading for Sean Williams. get him now!
4ho5ive
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Post#7 » by 4ho5ive » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:48 pm

Sean Williams' man D is suspect though. I know we could really use an athletic shot blocker on the cheap, but SWAT gets abused one on one in the post, Boone does not and thats why they are committed to him. SW as a weakside shotblocker would be perfect though and if we could get him for pennies on the $ i would go for it.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,413

Post#8 » by shrink » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:53 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:I don't get it though, he hasn't done anything wrong publicly that I can recall, why are they so desperate to get rid of him?

I've been keeping a very close eye on this guy for a while now, so its nice to see the Nets may be putting him on the market. We all remember his bout with the demon-weed before the draft and in college that lowered his draft status. Some people overlooked it when he played so well in the first half of his rookie year, but then he got passive, didn't progress, and was actually passed over for the starting spot by Josh Boone. After a disappointing second half that I was willing to attribute to the rookie wall. His coach "said" he had a great camp, and he allegedly turned down the offer to start one game, allowing Brook Lopez to go. In other games, he's played a total of 24 minutes, including some DNP-CDs, and on the floor, he looks like he's actually regressed from the end of last season. He gets lost on the floor and has a low BBIQ. I question his effort lately. In addition, it seems like the Nets may have expected this, because they traded for Yi, and drafted Ryan Anderson and Brook Lopez with their two 1st rounders. Williams also publicly said he was mad at the Nets for picking up his third year, since he wants to get on a new contract and get paid as soon as possible.

To me, there are huge warning lights blinding the eyes of anyone who wants to look closely, but that doesn't mean that the wolves aren't so desperate that they shouldn't take a chance on the Williams. For the Nets, either deal is better than what they are getting out of Sean Williams right now, who is their sixth big man, behind Stromile Swift. However, I think other teams might be willing to offer even more. I'd do prefuse's deals, but I wouldn't get into a bidding war over such a risky player.
shrink
RealGM

Post#9 » by shrink » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:57 pm

4ho5ive wrote:Sean Williams' man D is suspect though. I know we could really use an athletic shot blocker on the cheap, but SWAT gets abused one on one in the post, Boone does not and thats why they are committed to him. SW as a weakside shotblocker would be perfect though and if we could get him for pennies on the $ i would go for it.

4ho5ive nailed it with this post. Josh Boone is about one tenth as exciting, but I think he'd be a better fit.
prefuse73
Sixth Man
And1: 44

Post#10 » by prefuse73 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:11 pm

Thanks Shrink for the info. So basically Sean Williams is Eddie Griffin without the range on his jumper. Eddie was a great help defender and shot blocker...man on man d was suspect ..and they both have serious off the court red flags.

I still think if we can do it cheaply, he is worth taking a look at. Between Collins and Williams we would have everything we need to compliment Love and Jefferson.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#11 » by C.lupus » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:15 pm

Don't we have a $1.4 m TPE? Can we use that for him?
shrink
RealGM

Post#12 » by shrink » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:36 pm

C.lupus wrote:Don't we have a $1.4 m TPE? Can we use that for him?

I believe so, but I'd like some confirmation on that. ESPN says its gone (they have someone just guessing), but I think we used the Blount TPE when we brought in Carney and Booth, and the $1.4 mil from Gerald Green hasn't reached its one-year duration. Can anyone confirm or deny?

prefuse73 wrote:Thanks Shrink for the info. So basically Sean Williams is Eddie Griffin without the range on his jumper.

That's ironic. I'm not a great x's-and-o's guy, but I almost mentioned Eddie Griffin in my post. As I understand it, Eddie used to get blocks after his man got past him, had to adjust to KG's help defense, and Eddie would get the block from behind .. out of position. I'm curious if that fits what people have seen of Williams as well. If its true, with no help defense whatsoever on the team, it could be a long season, unless that price-tag is tiny.
Kevin_Love_42
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#13 » by Kevin_Love_42 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:49 pm

How is Matt Bonner on Defense? The wiretap said that Marco Beleneli is going to be traded to NJ so they wouldnt need Rashad McCants or Rodney Carney. The Spurs need scoring off of the bench we could probably get Bonner + Udoka + A pick for McCants and Booth.
Cy32
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#14 » by Cy32 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:00 am

A team can never be better than their coach no matter who is on the team. This is true in high school, college or the pros. I have seen many a year of basketball and in high school and college they only have 4 years with any of their players (not even four in college anymore with so many going to the pros early) and only two for junior college coaches and I know of so many teams that are successful for years under the same coach and I'm sure those coaches have seem some down years of talent handed to them but they can still win.

I have never been a big fan of giving so much recognition and preferential treatment to hyped players who are SUPPOSED to be great players. Eddie Curry is a perfect example of that. He has always been given much more playing time than he has earned just because of his high draft pick and because what the so called experts have expected him to be. Last year there was so much talk about getting rid of Z Randolph when to me it has always been plain to see that Zach was the better player. This year Curry is sitting and the Zach and the Knicks are flourishing. They don't miss Curry's often 2-3 rebounds a game at all.

I smiled when I read this box score just now, wish I had seen the game. I had never heard of Anthony Morrow before and probably not many other people gave him a look either. In the Warriors win over B Diddy and the Clippers UNDRAFTED rookie Morrow started his first game for the Warriors, played almost 42 minutes making 15-20 from the field 4-5 treys as a 6'5" guard grabbed 11 rebounds for 37 points.
shrink
RealGM

Post#15 » by shrink » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:24 am

For people who thought we were under-bidding, williams might be traded for GSW's Belinelli, who the Warriors tried to dump for an expiring last year (no takers). I think our offers are comparable. Belinelli averaged 2.9 PPG last season, and 4.0 this year.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,432

Post#16 » by vincecarter4pres » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:37 am

Us NJ fans seem to be a lot higher on Sean than the coaching staff.

That said we know what he currently is.

He is an athletic shot blocker, with bad man D, few post moves and a so so medium range jumshot.
He gets out and runs the floor well and is a terrific finisher.
He has very suspect handle, even for a big man, but has very nice passing skills and instincts.
His rebounding is decent, but he relies on his athleticism and doesn't box out very well, often getting muscled around by bigger players and finding himself out of position.
That being said he seems to have a good nose for the ball and seems to know where it is going, yet just literally can't get there a lot of times.
He is still skinny, but has put on some weight this offseason and is noticeably more muscular and cut, yet his atleticism has not been affected in the least.

The thing with us fans is, that since we are in a semi-rebuilding phase, even if our goal is to get to the playoffs this year, we cram to understand why Opie doesn't play this guy and elects to give a lot of minutes to Najera, Hassel and Simmons.
Even if we are trying to trade him, we should be showcasing him and allowing him to grow and improve through actually playing in game situations.

I highly doubt we trade him for Belinellie, I more see us giving back the pick we recieve in the Marcus Williams trade or Josh Boone.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves