ImageImageImage

Clips/Knicks/Wolves - This might have been posted before.

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

john2jer
RealGM
And1: 452

Clips/Knicks/Wolves - This might have been posted before. 

Post#1 » by john2jer » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:11 pm

Clippers Out: Chris Kaman and Tim Thomas
Clippers In: Zach Randolph and Kevin Ollie

Knicks Out: Zach Randolph
Knicks In: Rashad McCants, Tim Thomas, and Jason Collins

Wolves Out: Rashad McCants, Jason Collins, and Kevin Ollie
Wolves In: Chris Kaman

Why for the Clippers? The balance their roster bringing in a true power forward that can score and rebound. They also clear out Thomas's not so great attitude and bring in veteran leadership in the backcourt.

Why for the Knicks? They gey two expiring contracts this year, and one that expires next year. Clears some cap space. Thomas and McCants would be wonderful in D'Antoni's system. This also keeps them from having to activate James and Dalinari when neither are anywhere near able to play. They team becomes quicker and more athletic.

Why for the Wolves? They clear McCants's unhappy attitude, and a couple players who aren't going to get many minutes anyways for a center who would fit in perfectly in a three big roation with Jefferson and Love. Also opens up a roster spot to bring back Chris Richard and a combo guard. Too bad Blake Ahearn just got signed by the Spurs.

Wolves have multiple late 1st round picks that can be added to balance out the trade. I don't think the Knicks or Clippers are getting a bad deal, but the Wolves are getting a really sweet deal. So they might have to add in picks.
basketball royalty wrote:Is Miami considered a big city in the States? I thought guys just went there because of the weather and the bitches?
digitaldropoff
Starter
And1: 520

Re: Clips/Knicks/Wolves - This might have been posted before. 

Post#2 » by digitaldropoff » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:41 am

I'm not sure if every side would agree..but from the Wolves view, I would jump on the deal. Kaman hasn't played like his contract year, but he is still one of the better true centers in the league. He, AJ, and Love would be a nice rotation for our front court. This team, outside of Wittman, has two gaping holes...a real center, and a real point. This trade solves one problem...which means we could focus one fixing one other problem in the offseason, as opposed to trying to shore up both spots. Potentiall draft Rubio!!
Rubio/Telly/Foye
Brewer/Foye
Miller/Brewer
AJ/Love
Kaman/Love....That's a pretty nice 9 man rotation....Gomes, Smith, and Carney would provide depth...or trade bait...either way, I would love to see that squad to start next season. :D
Winter Wonder
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#3 » by Winter Wonder » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:54 pm

Haven't been in touch with all the latest rumors, but really have a hard time seeing the Clips give up Kaman for this package. Love it for the wolves, and I think the Knicks jump in on it; but really don't think the Clips get the value they should here. Clips probably need more and MN is probably the team that has to give more at least. Randolph to LAC might be interesting, though I think the whole thing has implode written all over it.
cpfsf
General Manager
And1: 1,104
Location: sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell

Post#4 » by cpfsf » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:25 pm

It seems to me that another team could offer more than what your suggesting.

sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 685

Post#5 » by karch34 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:11 pm

Per wiretap the Clippers want Randolph and want to get rid of Kaman, but Clippers have nothing the Knicks want.

I think we'd have to swap some picks to make it work, but I like it.
john2jer
RealGM
And1: 452

Post#6 » by john2jer » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:30 pm

Like I'd mentioned, I think tossing in Boston's pick or Utah's pick would be an option, and still would make it a great deal for the Wolves. Maybe we send one to the Clippers and one to the Knicks.

But yeah, either way we end up with this for a rotation next year...

C - Kaman/Love
PF - Jefferson/Love
SF - Brewer/Gomes
SG - Miller/Foye
PG - Rubio/Telfair

Or if Derozan from USC blows up and we don't get a top 3 pick, he'd be another nice piece to bring in. He's a SG with size. So Foye is still our point guard, and we look for a FA with the cap space we'd have, which wouldn't be a lot, but with the economy, and recent mid-level history, we could probably get someone nice on the cheap.
basketball royalty wrote:Is Miami considered a big city in the States? I thought guys just went there because of the weather and the bitches?
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#7 » by revprodeji » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:08 pm

wow, I think we would need to throw in a pick or so.

karch..How do the clippers want Randolph, but want nothing the knicks got?
http://www.timetoshop.org
Weight management, Sports nutrition and more...
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 685

Post#8 » by karch34 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:10 pm

I said the Clippers didn't have anything the Knicks want, but was a little off after going back to read what WireTap had yesterday.

Per WireTap:
Zach Randolph’s excellent start to the 08-09 season has enhanced his trade value, with one of the teams that pursued him last summer, the Clippers, interested again.

A league source says the Clippers are down on center Chris Kaman, but his contract doesn’t fit the Knicks’ desire for deals that expire after next season, so another team would be necessary to make something happen.

So it's not that the Clips don't have anything the Knicks want, they just don't want Kaman. Collins and McCants expiring and Thomas having 1 year left after this one would fit what they're looking for contractually.

I would see if we could give the Clippers the Utah and Boston pick along with one of the Miami 2nd rounders, hopefully get our pick from the Clippers back (Kaman might be enough to just get us out of a top 10 pick), and then let the Clippers offer a combination of those picks to the Knicks. Still should give us two firsts and two seconds in this draft.
TrentTuckerForever
Starter
And1: 2

Post#9 » by TrentTuckerForever » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:40 pm

digitaldropoff wrote:This team, outside of Wittman, has two gaping holes...a real center, and a real point.

That is the most concise read on the Wolves problems I've seen on this page, digital.

Kaman isn't the perfect fit (is he really a stout defender or superior athlete?) but for this trade package I'd say yes in a heartbeat. Kaman's career numbers indicate that he can have a Z. Ilgauskas-type role on a contending team - not an all-star, but a starter who would allow the other Wolves (especially Jefferson and Gomes) to slot into their more natural frontcourt roles. Plus the Wolves would be adding a veteran presence... they're going to be young enough after the next draft to get another Miller-type young veteran. I like it.
Klomp wrote:Didn't Brad Miller back up Vlade Divac in SAC too?

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves