ImageImageImage

Rev's official take

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Rev's official take 

Post#1 » by revprodeji » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:39 pm

Ok, so we have a bad start---a very bad start. My take is nothing creative, but I thought I would post it in one thread instead of the other 13 threads trying to find reasons.

1.) It is not Al Jefferson. He is still the scorer we need, still the rebounder. He is improving on defense and being vocal.

2.) it is not Randy Foye. He has struggled in his shooting, but his PG skills are worlds away better than last year. I think the shooting stroke can come back.

3.) It is not Mike Miller. He has not been taking many shots. But why is that?

What is to blame is Wittman. It is easy to kick the man when he is down, but let me point out a couple facts.

1.) His rotations are easily the worst I have seen in college or pro basketball. 11 players in one quarter is absolutely stupid. Players need time to get in the flow of the game, and players need a consistant role. They need to know when they play, how they play, etc. Being sporatic with playing time and rotations does no good for the players. also, many of those rotations are self-defeating. Playing cookie and gomes as the 5-4 in the "stubby" line-up kills us defensively and on the glass. If Witt wants to play so many guys then he needs to understand a couple things about his players.

a.) Gomes is better at the 3 than the 4. As a 3 he is an above avg rebounder-provides space and is an underrated defender. As a 4 he is undersized and does not provide much defensive help. With our bigs there is no reason to play Gomes at the 4.

b.) Play cookie with either Love or Collins. Cookie cannot play the 5 with Gomes at the 4. Cookie is redundant with Al jefferson and it does not look pretty. Cookie looked good with love for a while and I think next to a big body like Collins he would look good also.

c.) Play miller on the same side of the court as Al. Holy Carp this is so simple. Post Al on the block and let Miller be on the wing. Clear everyone else out to the weakside. Why is this so hard to understand?

b.) let Brewer defend the primary ballhandler on the other team. Kid is quick and I think this would help our defense. also, he seems to be more active offensively when he is engaged on defense. It would take away much of the strength issue also.

c.) Last year all we wanted from Foye was to be an "attach guard" bring the ball up the court- pass off or get in the paint and create. This year his pg skills have improved, but why not try Shad in the "attack guard" role? I think that Shad could get in the paint almost anytime he wants. I believe he is grumpy because his role is not clear. if he is our focus on offense off the bench then why not let him Pick/role with Cookie or gomes? let him post more. Get him in a place to make a play. Kid has great 6th man potential.

Get a solid rotation. 9 man is normal. 10 man if you need. But get the players used to playing with each other. Develop some chemistry.

basic coaching stuff witt. Do your job.
http://www.timetoshop.org
Weight management, Sports nutrition and more...
TMo519
Bench Warmer
And1: 25

Re: Rev's official take 

Post#2 » by TMo519 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:50 pm

Well said, and I agree for the most part. One thing about putting Brew on the primary ballhandler is the possible mismatch if you have, say Telfair on the other guard and maybe that creates a bad defensive matchup for Telfair. But even still, Brew can be a distruptive force on that ballhandler to probably offset that.

I'd just flat out go with this rotation:

Start Foye, Brewer, Miller, Love, and Jefferson. Then come off the bench mainly with Telfair, McCants, Gomes, and Cookie, with some Collins and Carney dipped in there.

We said we were trying to win games this year, not worry about evaluating talent. Yet, I think Witt's rotations scream evaluation rather than trying to win.

EDIT: I'd like to add, we could also go with the approach of sticking with Collins and bringing Love off the bench to provide a little more offense to the bench as well, plus Love would be then pitted against backups more frequently, maybe allowing him to get his game on track a little bit.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,512

Post#3 » by Worm Guts » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:00 pm

TMo519 wrote:Well said, and I agree for the most part. One thing about putting Brew on the primary ballhandler is the possible mismatch if you have, say Telfair on the other guard and maybe that creates a bad defensive matchup for Telfair. But even still, Brew can be a distruptive force on that ballhandler to probably offset that.

I'd just flat out go with this rotation:

Start Foye, Brewer, Miller, Love, and Jefferson. Then come off the bench mainly with Telfair, McCants, Gomes, and Cookie, with some Collins and Carney dipped in there.

We said we were trying to win games this year, not worry about evaluating talent. Yet, I think Witt's rotations scream evaluation rather than trying to win.

EDIT: I'd like to add, we could also go with the approach of sticking with Collins and bringing Love off the bench to provide a little more offense to the bench as well, plus Love would be then pitted against backups more frequently, maybe allowing him to get his game on track a little bit.

The problem with a 9-man rotation is that it means you have to cut out Cookie, I think. There's too many guys trying to get time at power forward and you have to keep Collins in because he's the only guy with size.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#4 » by C.lupus » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:08 pm

I pretty much agree with your take, rev. At this point, I would be tempted to go even simpler with an eight-man rotation. Jefferson-Love-Collins at the 4 and 5, Miller-Brewer-Gomes at the 2 and 3, and Foye-Telfair at the 1. That gives us a nice combination of defense and offense and puts a couple vets in the rotation.

I think the writing is on the wall with McCants and Smith just doesn't fit. If we could use some combination of Smith, McCants, BOS pick, Utah pick, Miami pick, and maybe Carney to get a second top-ten pick, we could end up with a Rubio (or DeRozan) and Thabeet draft.

Then we would be set to conquer the world!
ritt0093
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#5 » by ritt0093 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:09 pm

b.) let Brewer defend the primary ballhandler on the other team. Kid is quick and I think this would help our defense. also, he seems to be more active offensively when he is engaged on defense. It would take away much of the strength issue also.

I don't know how this would work against professional athletes, but would you consider a box and 1 type of zone defense? Let Brewer follow the primary player for the other team with Miller and Foye up top, and Jefferson and Love down low. I don't know if it would help stop some of the penetration opposing guards seem to get against us, but I thought it might be worth a look.
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#6 » by revprodeji » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:23 pm

About Brewer

--Where this would work the best is at crucial times of the game. At those times we likely have Foye in the game and not Bassy. So Foye can defend the sg for limited amounts of time on the teams with dominate pg's. Most teams do not have strong pgs and strong sg's.

Box and 1 does not work at the pro level due to better outside shooters and more balanced teams.

I think Shad and Cookie have talent. legit talent. They should play or be traded. I am a fan of the 9-10 man rotation with Collins being the mystery guy. (10min or so)
WallyWorld
Analyst
And1: 5

Post#7 » by WallyWorld » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:26 pm

revprodeji wrote:
c.) Play miller on the same side of the court as Al. Holy Carp this is so simple. Post Al on the block and let Miller be on the wing. Clear everyone else out to the weakside. Why is this so hard to understand?

Great points rev. I like these kinds of posts, especially when they are intelligent.

As for the above, I think you have seen this happen for the most part. Al and Miller are on the same side of the court just about every time. Al struggles reading the double team and for some reason Miller hasnt been able to dart around screens and get open so far. I dont know whether its because Mike isnt getting there in time or that we arent setting good screens. But it seems the only time Miller shoots off the screen is in the first quarter.

And Brewer has been guarding the other team's primary ball handler. He guarded Parker the whole time vs. San Antonio.

Agree on the rotation thing. I understand mixing it up but its just not the right thing to do to randomly bench guys who are playing hard like Love and Brew. I just dont see why he did that.

I also think its safe to say Foye has earned his starting spot back.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#8 » by C.lupus » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:46 pm

revprodeji wrote:I think Shad and Cookie have talent. legit talent. They should play or be traded. I am a fan of the 9-10 man rotation with Collins being the mystery guy. (10min or so)

I agree that they both have legit talent. I'm just not convinced either one is the right piece for this team. I would rather trade them than play them at this point and settle into a simpler rotation pattern. Of course the coach needs to go first.
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 685

Post#9 » by karch34 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:37 pm

Good points. I think Wittman tries too much to find a hot hand that he subs so much the players don't get continuity, don't get put in the best position to succeed, and look over their shoulder too much. We need to shorten up the rotation and only expand for foul trouble if necessary.

I start Foye, Brewer, Miller, Jefferson, and Collins. I replace Brewer with Gomes in the starting lineup if it's someone like Carmelo that we're playing due to a better matchup. I think Collins and Brewer help set the tone defensively and you still have 3 scorers on the floor. Love gets major minutes at PF with Al shifting to C (as Collins should be used more like Erv back in the day) and Gomes comes in at 3 with Miller or Brewer playing the 2 and Telfair at PG. McCants and Smith are the next two in based on foul trouble or if one of the others need a few minutes of rest. The other lineups are just not favorable to us offensively or defensively.
4ho5ive
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Post#10 » by 4ho5ive » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:14 pm

This is why i was so against bringing back BOTH Craigers and Gomes. One or the other is ok and i preferred Gomes and i still do. But you bring both of them back and now minutes are running thin. Cookie is a great scorer but as mentioned should NEVER play next to Gomes or Jefferson as the 5 or 4 respectively.

All of Rev's points were excellent one's and i agree with all of them. I gotta go back and watch the Nugs game since i had to miss it, but im sure its more of the same.

It really shouldnt be as hard as he is making it.
Busch Legion
Rookie
And1: 14

Post#11 » by Busch Legion » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:26 pm

Agreed. Wittmans rotations are atorocious.

Foye is still not a PG. However, he's my man for the SG role. So this means we need to get a little luck and be in position to draft Rubio next summer.

PG - Rubio
SG - Foye

Our guards can both pass, Rubio should be a pretty good defender, and Foye average to above average. Foye can do what he's good at, scoring.

Brewer needs to start fore the sole purpose of his defense. Mike Miller can be the 6th man.

PG - Rubio
SG - Foye
SF - Brewer

I want to see Jefferson get put back to the PF position. We just need another big body.. a natural C to play the Center position (once again luck on the lottery here)

PG - Rubio
SG - Foye
SF - Brewer
PF - Jefferson
C - Thabeet

Much more athletic. Rebounding will instantly improve, Defense much improved as well.

Love comes off the bench to solidify our 3 "big" man rotation, with Telfair at the point, Miller replaces Foye, Gomes replacing Brew. Love replace Thabeet/Jefferson and hell. Sprinkle in Carney and Cookie in if you want too.

I don't want to see McCants go, but looks like he'll have too. Trade him with some picks to move up in the draft.

Thats my dream lineup for 09/10

I just hope McHale is gone too.
D1SGRUNTL3D
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,080

Post#12 » by D1SGRUNTL3D » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:43 pm

Sorry. I think Foye is a terrible PG. The flow of offense is not there. He does nothing but dribble hand offs, and goes to stand outside the arch, forcing Mike Miller to make some sort of play.

Agree with everything else.

Here's what I would do.

Fire Mchale and Twitt

Trade some of our younger picks(Foye, McCants), acquire draft picks, then do a Portland style draft in buy, package, move up, and rebuild this mess of a roster. We have far too many tweeners playing either out of position, or in their natural position but just aren't any good to begin with.

I'd keep Al, the rest are expendable. Including Love, but he'll never get traded.
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by revprodeji » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:49 pm

an overhaul of the roster is irresponsible and unrealistic.

Couple comments.

1.) Good chance rubio does not come out this year, if not the year after that. It is a money deal with his buy-out.

2.) If we got lucky and got rubio then how would we get Thabeast unless he dropped? We do not have two lucky cards for the lotto. If the Miami pick is high then they get it.

Foye is doing what he is called to do. I have seen him get in the paint and throw it out to a shooter. He has that tool. He does more than just dribble hand-off.
D1SGRUNTL3D
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,080

Post#14 » by D1SGRUNTL3D » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:57 pm

revprodeji wrote:an overhaul of the roster is irresponsible and unrealistic.

Couple comments.

1.) Good chance rubio does not come out this year, if not the year after that. It is a money deal with his buy-out.

2.) If we got lucky and got rubio then how would we get Thabeast unless he dropped? We do not have two lucky cards for the lotto. If the Miami pick is high then they get it.

Foye is doing what he is called to do. I have seen him get in the paint and throw it out to a shooter. He has that tool. He does more than just dribble hand-off.

He's got a very poor A/TO ratio of about 2-1. His assists don't WOW anybody, infact the ones that he has the opportunity to, you know like the Derons Williams's and CP3's, he turns the ball over and it's just a mess of an attempt.

He can't even start on this team. Telfair's offense has more of a rhythm. Not Foye just handing it off or quickly driving and kicking it out. He hardly ever dictates an offense and letting a play to develop. Granted we have no plays, but he'll never be a franchise PG.

I'm 100% for a roster overhaul, especially with just 23 wins in the last what, 91 games? Yuck.

Gomes
Jefferson
Brewer
Foye
Love
Smith

Are all players who play out of position atleast once in the game. Can you actually have that? That to me doesn't spell the recipe for any success. Way to many tweeners.
Busch Legion
Rookie
And1: 14

Post#15 » by Busch Legion » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:32 pm

revprodeji wrote:an overhaul of the roster is irresponsible and unrealistic.

Couple comments.

Well, Im not sure if Rubio would come out either, but i've been told he will. I guess its anyones opinion. If he does though, wolves should pull out all the stops to draft him.

I guess i'm not sure how far Thabeet would drop, what is his projection? 1-5? 1-8? We might have the pieces to trade up. Shaddy, Carney what have you.

But I disagree with your roster overhaul as being irresponsible.... we are unathletic. We don't play defense.... we need to do something. This is why I'm still sorta bitter about the Casey firing... he had us playing some defense, and he was just getting on a roll. He did not have a fair shot.

But yeah, I realize its most likely unrealistic.. its just a dream of mine.
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 685

Post#16 » by karch34 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:47 pm

4ho5ive wrote:This is why i was so against bringing back BOTH Craigers and Gomes. One or the other is ok and i preferred Gomes and i still do. But you bring both of them back and now minutes are running thin. Cookie is a great scorer but as mentioned should NEVER play next to Gomes or Jefferson as the 5 or 4 respectively.

I was only for it as both are talented players that were available relatively cheap and should be good pieces for a trade. I agree that the minutes aren't there for both though and would think Cookie could be a decent part of a trade. Productive player who can score in the paint for a low $.
IcemanMN
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#17 » by IcemanMN » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:53 pm

Rev, I agree with most of that. I have to add, don't put Cookie and Love out there against a tall lineup. I hope Collins gets a lot of minutes the rest of the season, against teams with a tall front court. We really need a young defensive center.

It's hard to evaluate this team because of Wittman's lack of common sense. Your team won't win unless everyone has a role and the coach has a plan that has a chance of working. The two guys who should be taking the most shots on this team are Jefferson and Miller. Why isn't the offense organized around something so obvious?
TMo519
Bench Warmer
And1: 25

Post#18 » by TMo519 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:22 pm

D1SGRUNTL3D wrote:He's got a very poor A/TO ratio of about 2-1. His assists don't WOW anybody, infact the ones that he has the opportunity to, you know like the Derons Williams's and CP3's, he turns the ball over and it's just a mess of an attempt.

He can't even start on this team. Telfair's offense has more of a rhythm. Not Foye just handing it off or quickly driving and kicking it out. He hardly ever dictates an offense and letting a play to develop. Granted we have no plays, but he'll never be a franchise PG.

I think it's a mistake to be expecting anything like CP3 or Deron. So any comparison to those two just isn't valid here. It'd be nice to have a CP3-like PG to run the team, but there's only a select few of those. Most teams will have to deal with having average point guards. I think Foye can at least provide average play from a point guard perspective, but also bring above average ability to create and put the ball in the hoop. No one could have possibly expected him to be CP3-like, or even Telfair like, if you will, as far as running the team and feeding dimes all over the place with these tight passes. I didn't have that expectation at all. I don't believe that this offense can't run smoothly with Foye at point guard.
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#19 » by deeney0 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:26 pm

Worm Guts wrote:The problem with a 9-man rotation is that it means you have to cut out Cookie, I think. There's too many guys trying to get time at power forward and you have to keep Collins in because he's the only guy with size.

The roster is undersized. I'm a huge Craig Smith fan, but he's got to get spot duty on this team - and the key to that sentence is on this team. If a trade ca be arranged to bring more size to the Wolves, or to ship Craigers away, he can be a rotation player.

About roster overhauls, that's not going to happen. I'd love to see Craigers (or Gomes) and/or Shad moved out for some size, though. Hell, play Madsen if everyone agrees he doesn't see the ball on offense. This team is just too small for how slow they are.

About screens, that's an interesting point and something I'm going to try to watch. If the screens being set are poor, that might eff everything else up.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves