Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

cpfsf
General Manager
And1: 1,104
Location: sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell

Realigning the West 

Post#1 » by cpfsf » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:26 pm

:reporter: :reporter: :reporter:

http://www.nba.com/2008/news/features/art_garcia/11/19/111908garcia_westinsider/index.html

"At most, only one time zone separates the teams in this newly-christened division. (Don't focus on Arizona not observing Daylight Saving Time.) The states of Arizona, Utah and Colorado all share the Four Corners border, so their respective teams should share quarters. Minnesota doesn't have to travel two time zones for a divisional game in Portland."

"Memphis' travel does increase significantly, with its average divisional trip going from 472 miles in the Southwest to 1,026 miles. But Minnesota has dealt with that setup for years, so the Grizzlies won't be breaking new ground."

"

sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,606

Re: Realigning the West 

Post#2 » by shrink » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:02 pm

We need CHA or ATL to get sold to Las Vegas, and GM Association President Glen Taylor moves them into the Western Conference, and the Wolves go East to have rivalries with the other Midwestern Teams.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#3 » by C.lupus » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:02 pm

Interesting. I would prefer to do something a bit more radical such as what's below but I'm glad to see people are thinking about it.

Pacific
Portland
Sacramento
Golden State
LA Lakers
LA Clippers

Mountain
Phoenix
Utah
Denver
OK City
Dallas

Southwest
San Antonio
Houston
Memphis
New Orleans
Atlanta

Southeast
Miami
Orlando
Charlotte
Washington
Indianapolis

Northeast
Boston
New York
New Jersey
Philadelphia
Toronto

Central
Minnesota
Milwaukee
Chicago
Detroit
Cleveland
PeeDee
Sixth Man
And1: 66

Post#4 » by PeeDee » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:15 pm

Agreed. In addition, conferences need to be done away with, they serve no purpose except for the all-star game.

If you get rid of conferences, here's how you do all-stars. Fans vote on top 10, coaches choose the rest. Then the top two coaches draft the players play ground style. Rock, paper, scissors to decide first pick.
4ho5ive
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Post#5 » by 4ho5ive » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:17 pm

I dont see Stern going for it, but i do think changes need to be made.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#6 » by Devilzsidewalk » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:52 pm

C.lupus wrote:Central
Minnesota
Milwaukee
Chicago
Detroit
Cleveland

holy ****, I don't want to be in a division with Lebron and Derrick Rose, I'd rather take my chances with the NW division.

I want to stick with the West, I prefer going against CP3, Amare, D-Will and Roy vs D12, Lebron, Rose, Wade/Beasley

East seems like they're going to overtake the West to me.
john2jer
RealGM
And1: 452

Post#7 » by john2jer » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:22 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:
C.lupus wrote:Central
Minnesota
Milwaukee
Chicago
Detroit
Cleveland

holy ****, I don't want to be in a division with Lebron and Derrick Rose, I'd rather take my chances with the NW division.

I want to stick with the West, I prefer going against CP3, Amare, D-Will and Roy vs D12, Lebron, Rose, Wade/Beasley

East seems like they're going to overtake the West to me.

But Milwaukee sucks, Chicago's horrible, LeBron won't be in Cleveland for long, Detroit's blowing it up, leaving Minnesota to be the conquerers of the world!
basketball royalty wrote:Is Miami considered a big city in the States? I thought guys just went there because of the weather and the bitches?
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by C.lupus » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:05 am

LOL, I didn't even thnk about players. I was thinking big picture. Anyway, we have Al Jefferson and Bill Russell err...Kevin Love and we will have cap space in 2010 to sign LBJ! Besides, we should be building a team that can beat anybody, anytime, right?
Effigy
RealGM
And1: 11,940

Post#9 » by Effigy » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:54 am

C.Lupus, you lost me when you put Atlanta in the West.

Also I don't really see a need to put Minnesota in the East. If an East team moves to Seattle, then you consider it, but even then Memphis would probably be the team to move.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by C.lupus » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:34 pm

^ I was looking more at regional divisions and not getting caught up in the East/West Conference box. Atlanta doesn't necessarily fit in the "west" but Atlanta/Memphis/NO/Houston is a natural grouping. Minnesota is a Great Lakes state so it should be with the other lakes states. Two odd things with my proposal are splitting up the Texas teams (but they do it in football and baseball) and Indianapolis in the SE (there is just no way to make everything perfect).
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#11 » by Devilzsidewalk » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:17 pm

we should be grouped in a division w/ the other 4 worst teams in the NBA, then the top 2 teams in the division get to play for the championship of the Radio Shack Invitational

I want to win something dammit, but we need to aim low. The NBA championship is a myth at this point, the Wolves have never experienced it or even been close to it, I'm not so sure it even exists.

But the Radio Shack Invitational, that could be real. We could win it for sure. I know we're the only team that lost to the 1-11 Thunder, but with some hard work and cheating, we could do it. That solid gold trophy (except for the middle, which would be made of pewter...and the outside....more pewter) shaped like a coaxial cable - man I can almost taste it.
PeeDee
Sixth Man
And1: 66

Post#12 » by PeeDee » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:53 pm

They should be careful how they design it though. If it looks like a twizzler, Love might eat it.
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#13 » by revprodeji » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:42 pm

HA^^^

Any situation where we are not playing teams that are our rivals in football is wrong. If the NBA wants to develop rivals then find states we hate.
http://www.timetoshop.org
Weight management, Sports nutrition and more...
john2jer
RealGM
And1: 452

Post#14 » by john2jer » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:07 pm

revprodeji wrote:HA^^^

Any situation where we are not playing teams that are our rivals in football is wrong. If the NBA wants to develop rivals then find states we hate.

Unfortunately Wisconsin only has one team, and Iowa doesn't have enough people living in the whole state to fill an arena. Do we hate anyone else besides dirty Sconis and Iowegians?

Canada sucks too, but Toronto is too far away. Get a team in Winnipeg, quick!
basketball royalty wrote:Is Miami considered a big city in the States? I thought guys just went there because of the weather and the bitches?
shrink
RealGM

Post#15 » by shrink » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:25 pm

Since I grew up in Iowa, I was really surprised by sports in Minnesota, and I have a couple things that you might find interesting.

1. In Iowa, when it gets cold out, we go inside. Or maybe, because of all of the farmers, we spend enough time outside working that we don't go outside to play, like Minnesotans. Hockey is virtually non-existant except in very tiny pockets .. its probably not a Top 20 sport, where in Minnesota its probably #2-#3. Minnesotans seem to embrace the cold.

2. Without a professional sports team, Iowans are passionate about college sports, generally University of Iowa (Iowa City) or Iowa State (Ames). Never confuse them in front of an Iowan, because the rivalry between the two runs as deeply as any Viking/Packer war.

3. Iowa also doesn't have a lot of other avenues for entertainment, so NCAA Football and NCAA Basketball is huge. People drive hundreds of miles each week to go to games. Tailgating is a passion.

Average attendance for the Timberwolves in 2007: 14,476 fans (25th in the league)
Average attendance for the Hawkeyes Men's BB in 2007: 12,196 fans
Average attendance for the Cyclones Men's BB in 2007: 12,489 fans .. and remember, smaller venues.

4. Minnesotans are sometimes amused by my first experience with Gopher sports. I attended the Hawkeye-Gopher game a while back. Probably two thirds, to three quarters of the fans were from Iowa. I was stunned at the time, considering Iowa fans were driving 100-600 miles, and the Twin Cities had so many locals within 30 minutes of the Metrodome. The Iowa fans were loud too (well, it was my first visit to the Metrodome, so everyone can be loud). Anyway, at one key 3rd down situation, the visiting fans were making so much noise, the Gopher quarterback couldn't be heard. He had to go on. I don't know if the rule has been changed since then, but if crowd noise causes a delay of game, the HOME team is charged for a time out.

The next year I was on the Gophers mailing list to buy tickets, and I learned the U of M is aware of the problem. The rules for buying tickets for the Iowa-Min game had three times the requirements than any of the other games.

5. So when winter sports comes around, I'm always a duck out of water. I wobble on skates as 4-year olds come racing by me. I don't understand those people who sit on a bucket on top of a windswept frozen lake to fish out of a tiny hole. I'm a day-hiker, but can't conceive of people choosing to snowshoe or cross-country ski. Boot hockey!? Curling?!?

I'm staying indoors with my big screen TV until Spring.
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#16 » by revprodeji » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:49 pm

I am hinting at the NFL situation. Chicago-Wisc-Det. Teams local enough that we can develop a rival.
http://www.timetoshop.org
Weight management, Sports nutrition and more...
Celts09
Pro Prospect
And1: 2

Post#17 » by Celts09 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:33 am

I made that a couple of weeks ago. Just my idea :)

Good luck tonight. Gonna be fun to see al and gomes/
Celts09
Pro Prospect
And1: 2

Post#18 » by Celts09 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:34 am

^^ south is part of the western confrence
shrink
RealGM

Post#19 » by shrink » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:04 am

I like how the Great Lakes are frozen over
shrink
RealGM

Post#20 » by shrink » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:12 am

By the way, I always thought it worked better with five regional divisions -- do away with the conferences

POR......DEN.......MIA.....MIN....BOS
GSW......UTA......ORL.....MIL....TOR
SAC.......SAN......ATL......CHI....NYK
LAL.......DAL......NOH.....DET....NJN
LAC.......HOU.....MEM....CLE....PHI
PHO......OKC.....CHA......IND....WAS

Field of 16, Top two make the play-offs, plus six next best records.

Make All Star Game USA vs The World

Who's got the phone number for Glen Taylor, Emperor of GM's and Lord of the Dance?

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves