ImageImageImage

Jason Collins

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

niner2716
Sophomore
And1: 0

Jason Collins 

Post#1 » by niner2716 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:40 am

Jason Collins is a waste of space. Why the T-Wolves start this guy and waste 15 minutes a game on him is a mystery. He can't score, he can't defend all he can do is foul. 15 minutes with 4 fouls and a consistent -9 everytime the guy is there.

Your better off starting Love and letting him develop, or throw someone else in the starting lineup like Cardinal or Smith who can bring some energy and offense to the table.
Vega06
Analyst

Re: Jason Collins 

Post#2 » by Vega06 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:55 am

It's not much of a mystery at all. He does play defense..and he's the only player on the team with size. Love has been lost since that 20 pt game he's not ready to start. It's not like Collins is playing 35 min a game anyway
drummerrob26
Freshman

Post#3 » by drummerrob26 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:11 am

Its funny I was at the game tonight and when I got home I was going to say this exact same thing. I dont understand why we are giving this guy any minutes. I agree I would much rather see pretty much anybody else in there instead of him. If he is in for his defense it is not enough to justify it. If I am a team I am saying to myself wow this is great on defense it is pretty much 5 on 4 because noone has to guard collins. In tonights game you could see how easy it was for them to bottle up the lane because they had an extra guy that didnt need to guard collins because he has no offensive game to speak of. I say we put love in there because I know he has offense and I have actually been impressed with his defense, especially the spurs game, he really shut down Duncan when he was on him.
niner2716
Sophomore

Post#4 » by niner2716 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:41 pm

I dont understand what kind of defense he plays. He constantly commits about 4 fouls every 12 minutes. Thats' 8 free throws, thats not good defense. The guy is slow. He is big yes, but he's not a shot blocker because he has zero athleticism.

I'd like to see Cardinal get some minutes and see what he can do. If his knees are somewhat healthy he can help this team.
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 691

Post#5 » by karch34 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:57 pm

niner2716 wrote:I'd like to see Cardinal get some minutes and see what he can do. If his knees are somewhat healthy he can help this team.

I don't see him as any kind of upgrade from the other SFs we have on the roster.
niner2716
Sophomore

Post#6 » by niner2716 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:47 pm

karch34 wrote:
niner2716 wrote:I'd like to see Cardinal get some minutes and see what he can do. If his knees are somewhat healthy he can help this team.

I don't see him as any kind of upgrade from the other SFs we have on the roster.

From what i see with the wolves they definately lack in experience, energy and toughness. A healthy cardinal brings these to the table. He can play the 4 in a lineup with jefferson or love.

I like the way Craig Smith plays the game. But him and Gomes are similar undersized players. They should both be playing SF. And really they both shouldn't be on the same team.
TrentTuckerForever
Starter
And1: 2

Post#7 » by TrentTuckerForever » Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:26 pm

I don't get to see all the games live, but my first question about Collins and fouling would be is he fouling HIS man, or fouling guys who were poorly defended on the perimeter?

Collins, on paper at least, allows Jefferson, Gomes and Smith to play their more natural forward positions. Going small is always a fine option, but the Wolves get killed on the boards when they play Jefferson/Gomes or worse, Smith/Gomes at the power spots.

I'm not saying Collins is an all-star, but starting a real center makes this team better. You can't judge him by stats alone.
Klomp wrote:Didn't Brad Miller back up Vlade Divac in SAC too?
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#8 » by C.lupus » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:13 pm

Is it coincidence that the Wolves are 2-2 with Collins in the starting lineup?
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#9 » by Devilzsidewalk » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:41 pm

C.lupus wrote:Is it coincidence that the Wolves are 2-2 with Collins in the starting lineup?

he's definitely helped, our defense is dare I say 'pretty decent' when Collins is in the game w/ Al, but I think the biggest reason is that Philly and Detroit can't shoot from the perimeter, and when the Wolves don't get burned on late rotations, the defense looks a lot better

against teams like Portland, GS or Denver, there are guys that'll kill us on late rotations, but Philly and Detroit have terrible perimeter shooting.

We've been getting killed by 3's pretty consistently all year. On the flipside, our own 3 pt shooting is also killing us, I don't know our team percentage, but it has to be well below 30%
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#10 » by revprodeji » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:40 pm

The improvement in rebounding is not Collins himself, but rather that having Gomes at the 3.
http://www.timetoshop.org
Weight management, Sports nutrition and more...
Howler21
Senior

Post#11 » by Howler21 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:05 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:
C.lupus wrote:Is it coincidence that the Wolves are 2-2 with Collins in the starting lineup?

he's definitely helped, our defense is dare I say 'pretty decent' when Collins is in the game w/ Al, but I think the biggest reason is that Philly and Detroit can't shoot from the perimeter, and when the Wolves don't get burned on late rotations, the defense looks a lot better

against teams like Portland, GS or Denver, there are guys that'll kill us on late rotations, but Philly and Detroit have terrible perimeter shooting.

We've been getting killed by 3's pretty consistently all year. On the flipside, our own 3 pt shooting is also killing us, I don't know our team percentage, but it has to be well below 30%

Ironically it was supposed to be our 3 pt shooting that was supposed to give us a boost this year.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#12 » by Devilzsidewalk » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:25 pm

I know, that's ridiculous. I think I heard someone say we were last in 3 pt shooting in the NBA, I haven't verified it, but if not last we must be close. Offense was supposed to be a given, Big Al plus Love in the high post finding guys all day plus McCants, Foye, Miller, Carney, and Gomes making it rain.

Instead we're 19th in defensive efficiency and 23rd in offensive efficiency. We're actually a better defensive team than an offensive team, pretty amazing, I never would've expected. I figured we'd be 10-15 in offense and bottom 5 defensively.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves