ImageImageImage

Boatload of Picks

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

lunarblues
Analyst
And1: 0

Boatload of Picks 

Post#1 » by lunarblues » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:51 pm

i was looking at nbadraft.net and saw that you guys potentially have seven picks in the upcoming draft

4 in the first round
3 in the second round

what do you think mchale is planning to do with all of them. is he trying to have a new team of rookies come in or is he trying to trade, or is he going to keep alot of them in Europe?
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,274

Re: Boatload of Picks 

Post#2 » by andyhop » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:26 pm

lunarblues wrote:i was looking at nbadraft.net and saw that you guys potentially have seven picks in the upcoming draft

4 in the first round
3 in the second round

what do you think mchale is planning to do with all of them. is he trying to have a new team of rookies come in or is he trying to trade, or is he going to keep alot of them in Europe?

He will pick good players and then trade them for players drafted later who aren't as good if history is a guide.

We have 10 players under contract next year plus McCants who is a RFA that most feel will be gone one way or another so in theory all the 1st round picks could be used to fill the roster along with a 2nd rounder with the other 2nd stashed in Europe.

I doubt we keep all 4 picks most likely combining them with players in trades or just trading one or more of them for a 2010 1st if nothing else happens.
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
_AIJ_
RealGM
And1: 4,160

Post#3 » by _AIJ_ » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:30 pm

trade the 2 first for g wall
LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
hotshotschamp
Rookie
And1: 14

Post#4 » by hotshotschamp » Mon Dec 1, 2008 2:18 am

4 1st round picks is nice.....but we dont need to add 4 new rookies to our team.

I say we keep our pick which will be top 5 probably.

Then we package up other 1st rounders, or 2nd rounders and possibly a mccants.....and get in the top 10 again.

I believe we could easily have 2 top 10 picks. If we draft well, yeah HUGE IF, we could be in good shape for 2010 UFA period.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,295

Post#5 » by Calinks » Mon Dec 1, 2008 2:27 am

We got to package these for a trade. Either an established palyer or one really good rook. If we can trade up and grab a top player, that's cool.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,541

Post#6 » by shrink » Mon Dec 1, 2008 4:48 am

I suspect we are gaining the components for a trade from a team that wants to rebuild.

For example, two years ago, All Star Allen Iverson was traded for Andre Miller + and expiring + two late 1sts.

We are unlikely to meet the restrictions on all four of the picks, and even if we did, I doubt we'd cash them all. If we couldn't make a trade for a player, we'd either try to combine picks to move up in the draft, or trade them for a future pick.
Downtown
Head Coach
And1: 577

Post#7 » by Downtown » Mon Dec 1, 2008 7:30 am

As a Sonics fan I said for years that Seattle should be looking to deal picks for established players. I watched teams like the Clippers and Bulls continuely get young prospects that although well skilled, could never bring that ingredient of experience to make their teams better. Seattle fell into the same trap, and now in OKC we can see what good it does to stockpile draft picks. The same in Memphis.

My opinion is your GM should keep his options open and alway look to trade for proven players. Getting younger isn't the answer to success, unless you have a top 3 pick( sorry, but giving up Mayo for Love wasn't a good move). The mantra of building for the future is for losers if you ask me. Go for the now if you have an opening.
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,274

Post#8 » by andyhop » Mon Dec 1, 2008 11:57 am

Downtown wrote:As a Sonics fan I said for years that Seattle should be looking to deal picks for established players. I watched teams like the Clippers and Bulls continuely get young prospects that although well skilled, could never bring that ingredient of experience to make their teams better. Seattle fell into the same trap, and now in OKC we can see what good it does to stockpile draft picks. The same in Memphis.

My opinion is your GM should keep his options open and alway look to trade for proven players. Getting younger isn't the answer to success, unless you have a top 3 pick( sorry, but giving up Mayo for Love wasn't a good move). The mantra of building for the future is for losers if you ask me. Go for the now if you have an opening.

The trouble is that most of the people going for the now end up stuck in the No Mans land of high lottery/1st round play off exit which is about the worst place to end up.You don't get a good enough player in the draft to get better unless lucky and you can't attract FA's to join you as a contender for a bit of a discount.A perfect example of this all going wrong right now is the Bucks, they are capped out for years into the future and their ceiling over the next few years looks to be just making it into the play offs.
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
Downtown
Head Coach
And1: 577

Post#9 » by Downtown » Mon Dec 1, 2008 5:43 pm

Well you're right of course in the sense that being in that "no man's land" keeps you stagnant. During those same years in Seattle we were always either just sqeaking into the playoffs ar just missing out and the draft picks were in a very narrow range( Radmanovic around #10, Ridnour at #10, Collison around #12, Swift at #10, Sene at #10).

But I also look at at it as it's up to the GM to find better players at those draft spots. Alot of us Sonics fans wanted Al Jefferson instaed of Robert Swift and make a trade down to get Rodney Stuckey instead of using the #5 pick from the Ray Allen trade to draft Jeff Green, or make the trade that either gets a current NBA player or jumps up to get a better draft pick. I won't even go there with the Brandon Roy move. A good GM also has to see the years that are deep in talent. Mario Chalmers and George Hill are examples this year.

But without digging too deep into your situation I would say you should be looking at the means to get both Thabeet AND James Harden by using your picks to consolidate them into quality, not quantity.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#10 » by Devilzsidewalk » Mon Dec 1, 2008 5:47 pm

I'll forward your comments to McHale's suggestions box

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves