Stromile Swift and Bonzi Wells

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

rag-time4
Rookie
And1: 0

Stromile Swift and Bonzi Wells 

Post#1 » by rag-time4 » Mon Dec 8, 2008 3:11 am

Visitor from the Nets board here...

At 4-15, the Wolves need some major help. Why haven't they gone after Bonzi Wells, who is unsigned?

Also, Al Jefferson seems like he desperately needs some help in the frontcourt to make the Wolves a winner. He and Swift might complement each other well, with Jefferson providing more of the brawn at the Center position and Swift proving some help in the paint at the PF position.

Both Wells and Swift played for multiple seasons with Mike Miller, and did have some success in memphis before both Wells and Swift's relationship with Mike Fratello collapsed. Swift and Wells, along with Miller, could provide a quality veteran nucleus for the Wolves. The Nets have a glut of bigs, so Swift can probably be had on the cheap, and his contract will expire after the season if he doesn't work out.

Any thoughts?
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Re: Stromile Swift and Bonzi Wells 

Post#2 » by Krapinsky » Mon Dec 8, 2008 3:18 am

I think I just through up in my mouth a little.

No really.

I'm serious.

Reason being, would Wells and Swift actually improve the Wolves? Maybe one or two games, but that would be at the expense of playing time for our youth. It would be fine if we brought in vets to serve as mentors, but Wells and Swift are far from.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
hijacktheparade
Starter
And1: 4

Post#3 » by hijacktheparade » Mon Dec 8, 2008 3:32 am

I'd like Bonzi to stay far, far away.

Also, Timberwolves have four wins :)
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,574

Post#4 » by shrink » Mon Dec 8, 2008 4:26 am

I've examined deals with Stromile Swift in them as filler, and the OP is correct that he could probably be had cheap, if NJN wasn't taking on salary or getting back something minor. Swift may get some court-time here, but the most he can do for the Nets is take playing time away from other promising bigs. Swift and Wells have never been players who have demonstrated positive leadership. Both would be short-term fixes for a team with longterm goals. Good point on the MEM connection though.
TheFranchise21
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Post#5 » by TheFranchise21 » Mon Dec 8, 2008 4:33 am

How fat is Bonzi now? I bet he can still play better D than McCants.
My Kobe Bryant website I designed myself: http://personal.stthomas.edu/dnnguyen/kb24.
rag-time4
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#6 » by rag-time4 » Mon Dec 8, 2008 10:45 am

Dr.Krapinsky wrote:I think I just through up in my mouth a little.

No really.

I'm serious.

Reason being, would Wells and Swift actually improve the Wolves? Maybe one or two games, but that would be at the expense of playing time for our youth. It would be fine if we brought in vets to serve as mentors, but Wells and Swift are far from.

It seems to me the Wolves have a roster with some "trouble-makers" ... in Telfair and McCants, maybe others..? (I don't regularly watch the wolves)

With guys who are rebellious, you may need leaders who are also rebellious in order to get the most out of them. Are Telfair and McCants listening to Jason Collins? Collins is a goody-goody type mentor, right?

Swift is only 29. He could be a long term fix for the Wolves if he worked out. Bonzi is a couple years older but still a good player.

Remember when Bonzi Wells and Ron Artest played together in Sacramento? People expected a gangsta implosion, but they turned out to be really, really good, limited more by the players around them than by themselves (ahem, Brad Miller on D) Remember the Kings performance vs the Spurs when Wells and Artest were together?

Wells didn't get along with Van Gundy, and neither did Swift, but that doesn't mean they aren't good players.
TheFranchise21 wrote:How fat is Bonzi now? I bet he can still play better D than McCants.

I've seen McCants only a couple times, but he actually seemed really similar to Bonzi Wells... I think Wells could be a great mentor for him, although I agree that a trio of Miller, Wells, and McCants would be a bit soft defensively, especially in the paint. But you would have Jefferson and Swift...

I think Wells and Swift would make the Wolves much more competitive.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,574

Post#7 » by shrink » Mon Dec 8, 2008 2:11 pm

rag-time4 wrote: With guys who are rebellious, you may need leaders who are also rebellious in order to get the most out of them.

Admit it -- behind the screenname is an unemployed Bonzi Wells, with too much time on his hands.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves