ImageImageImage

BOS Trade - Need Advice from Draft Junkies

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,526

BOS Trade - Need Advice from Draft Junkies 

Post#1 » by shrink » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:50 pm

BOS may be looking to open a roster spot to add more vet min players, particularly if the Lakers or Cavs make a move. I have a horrible time valueing players straight out of the draft, with little NBA playing time, so let me throw this one out to you guys. (Simultaneous trades)

MIN GIVES: Ollie + TPE + BOS 1st
BOS GIVES: JJ Giddens + Bill Walker

(buy out Booth, or include him for BOS to buy out)

How good are these kids? I know losing Ollie means we have to play more Telfair, but this season is shot anyway. Giddens and Walker don't fill pressing needs, unless we move a swingman like McCants or Mike Miller, but we'd have more incentive to give them playing time and take a look than BOS would. BOS gets a roster spot .. maybe two, since they could afford to release Cassell and let him stay as a coach.

Fair? Unfair? I can really use your help on the evaluations.
the_bruce
Analyst
And1: 57

Re: BOS Trade - Need Advice from Draft Junkies 

Post#2 » by the_bruce » Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:38 pm

Bos pick + TPE > Giddens + Walker imo

Especially since MN would be helping them upgrade their team with vets. Give them the better of the MIA 2nds and it is fine.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#3 » by Devilzsidewalk » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:16 pm

I haven't seen Giddens or Walker in the NBA, but in college, weren't they kind of the no midrange, 3s or else dunks, kinda player that Rodney Carney is? Feel like they'd get buried.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,887

Post#4 » by theGreatRC » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:46 pm

Never seen Giddens, but I saw alot of Bill when I watched K-State games to watch Beasley.

Walker is a high energy player who plays above the rim, and he sort of has that McCants attitude when he is on the court. His 3-PT shot is inconsistent and he doesn't have great skills, just great athleticism.

I'd love Walker on this team though, we need some toughness.
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
B Calrissian
Head Coach
And1: 17

Post#5 » by B Calrissian » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:53 pm

Walker got into a fight with KG in practice. He also got into a pushing match with Mcgrady and then whined about it after the game even though he started it. I think he got into it with another player too but I can't remember who. Not a high character guy to say the least.
MVP16
Bench Warmer
And1: 3

Post#6 » by MVP16 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:18 pm

I highly doubt the Celtics would do this. They are pretty high on Bill Walker. Ainge originally was planning to send him overseas for a year, but was so impressed with him during summer workouts that he decided to keep him on the roster and signed him to a 4 year deal. Ainge spoke highly of Giddens too although there were some rumors of them looking to trade him for a 1st rounder. In the D-League, Giddens is averaging 18.3 points, 7.1 rebounds, 2.3 assists, 2 blocks and 1.6 steals (inlcuding a game where he sprained his right wrist and could only use his left hand and ended up with only 2 points). Bill Walker is getting 17.9 points, 4.4 rebounds, 1.2 assists, .9 steals, .9 blocks (including a game where he had to leave a game early due to injury and got 0 points).
GopherIt!
RealGM
And1: 24,135

Post#7 » by GopherIt! » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:38 am

^
Actually, I think Boston would be all over something along this premise.
Walker only has a two year deal close to the minimum (the last two years aren't guaranteed.) He was a fringe first rounder and probably has a bit more NBA potential than Giddens but Boston doesn't need either of them. Those guys are rookies. They need experienced guys to help them win another title this year. If they can dump Giddens and/or Walker to get a cheap vet or clear cap space to add a vet that would be a wise thing to do.

From an MN perspective I would say no. Neither has a better upside than any of the wings we already have on the roster.
hijacktheparade
Starter
And1: 4

Post#8 » by hijacktheparade » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:47 am

Can we just have one big trade thread? The first page is getting so cluttered with these and there's several new ones every day.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves