ImageImageImage

McHale/Taylor future?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,604

McHale/Taylor future? 

Post#1 » by shrink » Tue Jan 6, 2009 4:04 am

ESPN wrote: The owner said he was going to make a change and he asked me if I'd do it. It wasn't ideal, but the owner's the owner. He said, 'Will you do it?' And I said, 'Yeah, I'll do the best I can with it.'"

Timberwolves coach Kevin McHale, doing little to dispel the idea that he was reluctantly convinced to leave the front office when asked if he had looked at the next 10 games on the Wolves' schedule before agreeing to replace Randy Wittman.

If he doesn't sound terribly geeked up about his new gig -- after losses to the Jazz, Nuggets, Lakers, Cavaliers, Rockets, Magic and Spurs (twice) in those first 10 outings -- bear in mind that he was speaking about an hour before the Wolves rolled up a 29-point lead in Dallas and then proceeded to let it all go in the worst single-game collapse in franchise history.

Having watched over the years how McHale interacts with players -- with respect coming back his way thanks to those three titles with the Celtics -- I believe he enjoys the coaching and teaching part of the game much more than you'd think. That's in spite of his lack of traditional coaching experience, which was hard to miss when the Mavs quickly sliced a 29-point deficit to nine points in a span of about six minutes, during which McHale made zero substitutions and settled for just one timeout.

The sense I get, though, is that McHale's well-chronicled aversion to travel is even more acute than he talks about. So even if the Wolves make a marked improvement during the second half of season, I'm struggling to picture McHale coaching this team beyond April.

Which brings us back to the big questions that owner Glen Taylor brushed off when Wittman was fired on Dec. 8: Will McHale be allowed to return to his front-office gig at season's end? Or will McHale and Taylor finally part ways for good if the Wolves don't pick it up dramatically?

If it's the latter, I still expect McHale to walk away with some sort of special adviser title because of McHale's longstanding association with Taylor and because Minnesota has been making decisions by committee for some time. We repeat: McHale is always likely to have Taylor's ear to some degree.

They also mentioned that the league office had downgraded Craig Smith's flagrant foul on Dirk nowitzki to a standard foul. Smith alleges he was just trying to swipe at the ball when he connected with Dirk's nose. McHale protested the flagrant at the time as well, and the referee shot back, "The ball ain't bleeding."
casey
General Manager
And1: 7

Re: McHale/Taylor future? 

Post#2 » by casey » Tue Jan 6, 2009 4:15 am

I think it's almost a certainty that McHale will not be here as either the coach or in a front office role next year. He's done.
"I'm Ricky Rubio."
--Ricky Rubio
john2jer
RealGM
And1: 452

Post#3 » by john2jer » Tue Jan 6, 2009 2:40 pm

casey wrote:I think it's almost a certainty that McHale will not be here as either the coach or in a front office role next year. He's done.

We can only hope. We have an almost entirely clean slate set up for whoever comes during the off-season, and maybe for the first time in a LONG time, if not ever, we'll have a distinct long term plan.
basketball royalty wrote:Is Miami considered a big city in the States? I thought guys just went there because of the weather and the bitches?
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Post#4 » by Basti » Tue Jan 6, 2009 10:43 pm

I don't want to keep him as a head coach nor as our GM/VP of basketball operations but I'd like to keep him as our big men coach because Big Al and Love still have a lot to learn
casey
General Manager

Post#5 » by casey » Tue Jan 6, 2009 11:08 pm

the_incredible_basti wrote:I don't want to keep him as a head coach nor as our GM/VP of basketball operations but I'd like to keep him as our big men coach because Big Al and Love still have a lot to learn

Meh, what kind of resume does he have working with big men? Not much.
"I'm Ricky Rubio."
--Ricky Rubio
horaceworthy
Head Coach
And1: 250

Post#6 » by horaceworthy » Tue Jan 6, 2009 11:46 pm

john2jer wrote:
casey wrote:I think it's almost a certainty that McHale will not be here as either the coach or in a front office role next year. He's done.

We can only hope. We have an almost entirely clean slate set up for whoever comes during the off-season, and maybe for the first time in a LONG time, if not ever, we'll have a distinct long term plan.

I'm with you. The creativity and decision making with the front office has improved some since the KG trade, but it still has a long way to go. Getting a fresh voice in the room that come from a successful organization would be great, especially with some of the chips we might have to play with in the off season in terms of draft picks and such.
"A while back,'' Cardinal said, "I took a picture of the standings and texted it to Love, just to bust his chops,'' Cardinal said. "He sent me a picture back of a snowdrift.''
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Post#7 » by Basti » Wed Jan 7, 2009 12:08 am

casey wrote:
the_incredible_basti wrote:I don't want to keep him as a head coach nor as our GM/VP of basketball operations but I'd like to keep him as our big men coach because Big Al and Love still have a lot to learn

Meh, what kind of resume does he have working with big men? Not much.

I'm not sure but at least Big Al mentioned it a few times that he's happy learning the ropes from McHale... I don't know how much thruth is in it but if it makes Big Al happy I'm all for it.
Biff Cooper
Sixth Man
And1: 240

Post#8 » by Biff Cooper » Wed Jan 7, 2009 12:17 am

McHale will be back as coach next year as long as he's still enjoying the players, they are trying hard, and the team is showing improvement and winning at least a third of their remaining games. I think he really does like most of these guys, and these things together would over-ride any hatred of travel. I think Taylor has had enough of McHale as VP, but not as coach.

More interestingly, with only 5 1/2 months left until draft and 3-4 first rounders, I really have my doubts that Taylor is going to bring in someone from outside the organization to run the personnel show for the upcomming draft. I would guess Stack will mostly be running the show with a lot of input from Hoiberg and Taylor, along with some input from Babcock and McHale. If Taylor did bring in someone new, it would have to be someone that is really in the loop at evaluating personnel currently for another team, but I only give that a 5% chance of happening.
horaceworthy
Head Coach
And1: 250

Post#9 » by horaceworthy » Wed Jan 7, 2009 12:32 am

In the scenario you just laid out, where McHale is still the coach, I can't see anybody worthwhile coming here anyway. I don't think people will want to work in a situation where, not only do they not have a say in who the head coach is, the head coach happens to be the guy who ran the show for a dozen or so years. If McHale's still here in a visible capacity like coach, nobody will come here. If he's gone, then this may actually be a somewhat enticing job, what with a 20/10 big man locked into a reasonable contract, some decent young talent, and an owner that's shown a willingness to spend money in the past.
"A while back,'' Cardinal said, "I took a picture of the standings and texted it to Love, just to bust his chops,'' Cardinal said. "He sent me a picture back of a snowdrift.''
Biff Cooper
Sixth Man

Post#10 » by Biff Cooper » Wed Jan 7, 2009 4:15 am

Agreed - it would suck having your job under the control of a coach that you have no say in. However, having a 20/10 guy on a great contract, lots of young players, no bad contracts, and 3-4 first rounders would be enticing to a lot of people regardless of who is coach.

I really don't think Taylor wants to hand the personnel reins over to someone that has a good interview that he doesn't know. If the Wolves start showing the promise that McHale and Stack promised him in the offseason, he isn't likely to bail on the rebuilding program that they've started. Taylor thinks McHale is a top notch coach, and probably a so-so personel guy, so it is probably Stack at the head of the `Pentagon of Authority' for the key decisions next summer.
Metin91
Senior
And1: 2

Post#11 » by Metin91 » Wed Jan 7, 2009 6:27 am

say what ya want about mchale but he has had nothing but a positive influence since being in charge and i for one would like to see him be named our coach permanently
john2jer
RealGM

Post#12 » by john2jer » Wed Jan 7, 2009 7:06 am

Metin91 wrote:say what ya want about mchale but he has had nothing but a positive influence since being in charge and i for one would like to see him be named our coach permanently

Kevin, is that you?
basketball royalty wrote:Is Miami considered a big city in the States? I thought guys just went there because of the weather and the bitches?
Metin91
Senior
And1: 2

Post#13 » by Metin91 » Wed Jan 7, 2009 7:22 am

john2jer wrote:
Kevin, is that you?

Im actually his illegitimate son 8-)
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#14 » by C.lupus » Wed Jan 7, 2009 1:57 pm

Kevin has always gotten along with his players and the players have always respected him (he has the rings). He can get the guys to play hard for him but he still isn't an Xs and Os guy and, perhaps most importantly, he hates the traveling required to be a coach. I don't think he will be the long-term option as coach. I also think Taylor has finally grown tired of the losing and bad PR.

Best case scenario in my book is that Taylor brings in a fresh GM from a winning organization, they get a new coach, and McHale stays on as "Special Assistant" big man coach/team motivator (but has no say in personnel moves). I actually think McHale would be fine with that, too.
Biff Cooper
Sixth Man

Post#15 » by Biff Cooper » Wed Jan 7, 2009 2:58 pm

I don't like traveling either, but Kevin did it 15 or so years as a player. I don't think he'd bail on a team that he really likes if he thinks there is a chance they could do something special in a year or two over about 30 road trips per year. From Taylors perspective, the Wolves are very fun to watch right now, and he'd be crazy to force out a coach that is bringing entertainment back to his team.
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#16 » by revprodeji » Wed Jan 7, 2009 3:16 pm

it is not that he does not enjoy it, as much as it is painful for him to fly with his back.

Mchale could use an x's and o's guru on the bench. I actually like the bench he has for the most part but a guru with the forms could be nice. Motivation and confidence is a lot of coaching. Being able to have the knowledge of the game to put the right players in and run the right systems is important to. Perhaps mchale brings that.
http://www.timetoshop.org
Weight management, Sports nutrition and more...
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#17 » by C.lupus » Wed Jan 7, 2009 4:32 pm

I didn't realize it was his back that was the travel concern. I thought he just preferred to be home fishing, etc. (which is totally understandable, too). Either way, the appeal of traveling is very different for a 25 year old (making LOTS of money and chasing a ring, I should add) vs. a 50 year old.
john2jer
RealGM

Post#18 » by john2jer » Wed Jan 7, 2009 5:01 pm

C.lupus wrote:I didn't realize it was his back that was the travel concern. I thought he just preferred to be home fishing, etc. (which is totally understandable, too). Either way, the appeal of traveling is very different for a 25 year old (making LOTS of money and chasing a ring, I should add) vs. a 50 year old.

On just a day-to-day basis, McHale struggles in "normal" walking and moving around. I'm sure flying only makes things worse.
casey
General Manager

Post#19 » by casey » Wed Jan 7, 2009 10:10 pm

Biff Cooper wrote:Taylor thinks McHale is a top notch coach

Where do you get that idea from?
"I'm Ricky Rubio."
--Ricky Rubio
Biff Cooper
Sixth Man

Post#20 » by Biff Cooper » Wed Jan 7, 2009 11:59 pm

casey wrote:
Biff Cooper wrote:Taylor thinks McHale is a top notch coach

Where do you get that idea from?

"Kevin has assembled the players on this team, and believes in their talent and skill level," Taylor said. "It is my expectation that Kevin will be able to get the most out of our team and our players in his new role as head coach. He has been involved in the NBA game for almost 30 years, is a tremendous teacher and has a wealth of basketball knowledge. I think our players will respond to the new voice and perspective that Kevin will provide."

I realize there is a lot of PR mumbo-jumbo involved in this quote due to the changing of coaches. I may not have adequate additional proof since I don't have any quotes from Taylor regarding McHale's first go-around as coach, but I remember hearing Taylor laud McHales coaching somewhere. Even KG called McHale the best coach he'd ever played under. Everytime I read anything Taylor says, he is never critical of McHale, and even though he basically fired him as VP of Basketball Ops - he was still willing to let him coach the team. Perhaps top-notch is a bit strong, but Taylor has always valued McHales basketball knowledge.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves