Miles toast? Just ask the Wolves.

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

GopherIt!
RealGM
And1: 24,142

Miles toast? Just ask the Wolves. 

Post#1 » by GopherIt! » Fri Jan 9, 2009 9:22 pm

from ESPN's True Hoop

Darius Miles, Cap Space, E-mails, Oh My!

January 9, 2009 12:20 PM

This Darius Miles situation is a mess.

Before we get to talking about threatening e-mails and all that, let's back up for a minute, and all agree on one thing: Darius Miles is not, and should not be, medically retired.

Portland's claim, supported by an independent doctor, that they should get salary cap relief for his career-ending injuries was a mistake. And now there's a 27-year-old who demonstrably would like to play basketball for a living. The Collective Bargaining Agreement's standard for assessing when a medical retirement was a mistake appears to have been a good one. Even before ten games are up, it's pretty clear.

No, it's not obvious that he's one of the 300 or so best players in the world who get NBA roster spots. I'm not a fine enough judge of talent to declare that. But it is crystal clear that he's one of the thousand or so professional players who are in that mix. Europe, the D-League, the NBA ... he belongs in there somewhere. His body is still suited to running and jumping. He's a professional basketball player.

I just watched video of all of his regular season minutes. From the January 6 Grizzles vs. Timberwolves game, we can learn that anyone who tells you he's permanently broken is blatantly wrong.

* Ask Randy Foye. He had a nice path to the hoop on the secondary break, and Miles swooped across the lane, and skied to block it.
* Ask Kevin Love. Miles was isolated on the right wing against the Minnesota rookie. Miles beat him to the rim off the dribble. Miles didn't get the bucket. He seemed to be lacking explosion -- but in that he joins many post-surgical NBA players.
* Ask Al Jefferson. Jefferson is one of the deadliest post scorers in the game. Miles, beefier now, guarded him solo in the post, and came up with the block. But for a foot on the baseline, he would have come up with the loose ball and started the break, too.
* Ask Mike Conley, who noticed too late, at one point, that Miles had beaten everybody down the floor and just needed the ball to complete an easy layup.

the article goes on, but you see the point. How is it that we won the game and we still manage to get pwnd in an article about a guy like Darius? :nonono: :nonono:

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-3 ... h-My-.html
john2jer
RealGM
And1: 452

Re: Miles toast? Just ask the Wolves. 

Post#2 » by john2jer » Fri Jan 9, 2009 9:34 pm

Medical retirement, cap savings, lawsuits aside, and piss-poor attitutde aside, I think he's getting the raw end of the deal because of the Blazers. He's shown that he's made progress and could come off the bench for someone.
basketball royalty wrote:Is Miami considered a big city in the States? I thought guys just went there because of the weather and the bitches?
horaceworthy
Head Coach
And1: 250

Post#3 » by horaceworthy » Fri Jan 9, 2009 9:51 pm

I agree. I can't believe the Blazers would put out a statement like that. I didn't really care one way or the other about Miles before, but now I hope someone signs Miles and basically dares Portland to do something about it.
"A while back,'' Cardinal said, "I took a picture of the standings and texted it to Love, just to bust his chops,'' Cardinal said. "He sent me a picture back of a snowdrift.''
WallyWorld
Analyst
And1: 5

Post#4 » by WallyWorld » Fri Jan 9, 2009 10:04 pm

Move this to the other thread. A good topic.
john2jer
RealGM
And1: 452

Post#5 » by john2jer » Fri Jan 9, 2009 10:33 pm

Miles always pissed me off up until this week. I thought he was wasting his talent, and was way over-rated and didn't deserve that huge contract. I don't think he's the worst player in the league, hello Mark Madsen, but seriously, doesn't this turn out similar to Bonds' collusion accusation?

Obviously he would NOT be signed for different reasons, but it would be the league acting as one keep him from getting a job. Sorta, ok not really, but close enough to mention.
basketball royalty wrote:Is Miami considered a big city in the States? I thought guys just went there because of the weather and the bitches?
the_bruce
Analyst
And1: 57

Post#6 » by the_bruce » Fri Jan 9, 2009 11:31 pm

All I know is...

Medical retirement should equal not able to play. I hate Miles, but the guy still has the physical tools to play the game. In fact he's probably a better athlete than any sf we have!
Frozen316
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#7 » by Frozen316 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:57 am

The Thunder might want to give him a shot, it couldn't hurt right?
wolves_fan_82au
Assistant Coach
And1: 32

Post#8 » by wolves_fan_82au » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:51 am

who does portland think they are threatning teams like that

Miles can play, he proved that against us ,if any team wants him they should have everyright to take him
teams supporting
NBA-Minnesota t-wolves
NHL-Toronto Mapleleafs
NFL-Miami Dolphins
MLB-???
Others:Wests Tigers,Leeds United,Schalke,VVV,Sydney Kings,Tatsuma Ito

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves