ImageImageImage

Chandler

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Pumaman
Freshman
And1: 0

Chandler 

Post#1 » by Pumaman » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:44 pm

I know trading for him has been discussed already, but personally I think something like this would be good for both teams:

Minnesota Timberwolves

Incoming Players
Photo: Tyson Chandler
Tyson Chandler
Salary: $11,350,000 Years Remaining: 3
PTS: 8.8 REB: 8.3 AST: 0.5 PER: 14.17
Photo: Julian Wright
Julian Wright
Salary: $1,869,600 Years Remaining: 2
PTS: 2.9 REB: 1.8 AST: 0.7 PER: 11.27

Outgoing Players: Rashad McCants, Jason Collins, Ryan Gomes
New Orleans Hornets

Incoming Players
Photo: Rashad McCants
Rashad McCants
Salary: $2,620,126 Years Remaining: 1
PTS: 9.2 REB: 1.9 AST: 0.9 PER: 10.24
Photo: Jason Collins
Jason Collins
Salary: $6,200,000 Years Remaining: 1
PTS: 1.3 REB: 2.0 AST: 0.6 PER: 0.82
Photo: Ryan Gomes
Ryan Gomes
Salary: $3,650,000 Years Remaining: 4
PTS: 11.5 REB: 4.4 AST: 1.6 PER: 11.50

Outgoing Players: Tyson Chandler, Julian Wright

Throw in the Miami 1st and I think they would definitely think about it. I think that Chandler would be great on our team. He would provide the defense to cover for Love while Jefferson recovers, and when Big Al comes back that would be a very formidable front line, and I think that unit would be capable of winning championships (the rest of the team is obviously not there yet, but I would like to be locked up at the PF/C positions, and with this trade we would have 3 years of that combo). Making this trade would also allow us to draft any type of guard as well as a small forward with our 2 (possibly even 3 if Utah gets going) 1st round picks. There would be a number of different ways we could go, and if Pekovic comes over in 2 years he could develop at his own pace. This would also allow us to use the first half of next year to evaluate and then possibly trade Miller for someone to complete the team.

For NO it would free up a lot of cap space, give them a good shooting, versatile forward, and a pretty decent draft pick.

What do you guys think? I don't really see a downside for either team.
Biff Cooper
Sixth Man
And1: 240

Re: Chandler 

Post#2 » by Biff Cooper » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:53 pm

Pumaman wrote:What do you guys think? I don't really see a downside for either team.

There is plenty of downside for New Orleans. They lose one of their top players and one of their top prospects. Doubt they are in that much of a firesale mode, but if they are - I'm all for your deal.
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 687

Post#3 » by karch34 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:12 pm

I'm very intrigued at the prospect of Chandler. I think they are looking at what they can get due to financial considerations. I was thinking more along the lines of Collins, Smith, and McCants plus pick. I thought with their big thing being a lack of depth in the front court Smith might have more interest.

We'd probably look closer at a Miller for expirings deal after a move like this, IMO.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,542

Post#4 » by shrink » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:37 pm

karch34 wrote:I'm very intrigued at the prospect of Chandler. I think they are looking at what they can get due to financial considerations. I was thinking more along the lines of Collins, Smith, and McCants plus pick. I thought with their big thing being a lack of depth in the front court Smith might have more interest.

We'd probably look closer at a Miller for expirings deal after a move like this, IMO.

That looks like a really good start. Collins would be the expiring they'd love, and Craig Smith would have value. McCants gives them an option and the MIA pick is deferred payment.

It would be nice if we could fill their hole at center, but we obviously don't have the tools. I wonder if a three--way with IND would work?

MIN OUT: Collins + Craig Smith + McCants + MIA 1st
MIN IN: Chandler

NO OUT: Chandler
NO IN: Rasho (exp) + Craig Smith + MIA 1st

IND OUT: Rasho
IND IN: Collins + McCants

IND might want to cut us out, but they have Murphy playing center pretty well right now, they just gave a three-year deal to Foster, and they have Hibbert in the wings, so they might not want to add a young prospect and pick to a NO offer for a center position they already have filled. I tossed the IND part up on the Pacer trade board a couple days ago, and got only one response, but it was very favorable.
Biff Cooper
Sixth Man
And1: 240

Post#5 » by Biff Cooper » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:57 pm

By my math, Indiana would have to pay a pro-rated portion of $420K + pay to buy someone out just to get restricted rights to McCants. Something along these lines might work, but Indiana would need more in the deal.
Shox214
Lead Assistant
And1: 0

Post#6 » by Shox214 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:13 pm

I think we should do whatever we can to get Tyson Chandler. We would have our starting big men with Chandler and Big Al, and could focus on guards in the draft and free agency.
"Adam is so baked right now" - Jimmy Kimmel on Adam Morrison
4ho5ive
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Post#7 » by 4ho5ive » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:07 pm

Im not so sure i would be willing to deal the Miami pick to get Chandler. I like his style of play, but offensively he doesnt add much, only averaging above 10PPG once in his career and is just awful from the FT line. I know legit 7Ft's are hard to come by and his defense is stellar, but i dont know, im hesitant to deal the Miami pick or Pekovic for that matter.
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 687

Post#8 » by karch34 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:26 pm

4ho5ive wrote:Im not so sure i would be willing to deal the Miami pick to get Chandler. I like his style of play, but offensively he doesnt add much, only averaging above 10PPG once in his career and is just awful from the FT line. I know legit 7Ft's are hard to come by and his defense is stellar, but i dont know, im hesitant to deal the Miami pick or Pekovic for that matter.

That's a very good point. I look at it as New Orleans has to get at least 1 first rounder to sell the trade to their fan base and even then that's pretty hard.

I'd consider Pekovic as he'd be somewhat redundant with Chandler-Jefferson-Love and we need to be significantly under the cap to offer him what it would take to come over here to play. He's still a valuable commodity though, which makes it tough to just throw in.

I really want to keep the Miami pick and damn the rest if necessary, meaning in lieu of Miami we do the Boston and Utah pick. Or if we were to trade Miller to Cleveland, then throw that pick in there as a combination with one of the other two. Or there's still the possibility of Miller to NJ and that pick would be of a similar range to Miami making it easier to do an either Miami or NJ pick.
shrink
RealGM

Post#9 » by shrink » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:30 pm

Biff Cooper wrote:By my math, Indiana would have to pay a pro-rated portion of $420K + pay to buy someone out just to get restricted rights to McCants. Something along these lines might work, but Indiana would need more in the deal.

That's a good point. They might want to send Josh McRoberts. Moreover, we could send Craig Smith to IND, and send McCants and McRoberts to NO. The key though is that the Pacers have a vet center they won't use next year, or really this year either, so alternating expirings that might get some use (McCants or Smith), is something they may take a look at, and they probably aren't interested in Chandler themselves.

4ho5ive wrote:Im not so sure i would be willing to deal the Miami pick to get Chandler. I like his style of play, but offensively he doesnt add much, only averaging above 10PPG once in his career and is just awful from the FT line. I know legit 7Ft's are hard to come by and his defense is stellar, but i dont know, im hesitant to deal the Miami pick or Pekovic for that matter.

Its funny you'd mention that, because as I was driving in the car today, I gave some thought to whether using the MIA pick would be overpaying as well. I don't care too much about the lack of scoring, but in a rare twist, the market for big centers on the block is suddenly expanding. I read this piece this morning. I'm thinking it deserves its own thread now.

http://blogs.dailyherald.com/node/1409

Daily Herald wrote: Phoenix power forward Amare Stoudemire remains a possibility [sic-For the Bulls]. But I keep hearing and reading that there will be a flurry of activity in the final days because so many teams are losing money in this poor economy and are becoming increasingly anxious to dump salaries.

Among the players widely believed to be available are New Orleans' Tyson Chandler, Philadelphia's Sam Dalembert and the Clippers' Chris Kaman. I wouldn't be surprised if Washington's Antawn Jamison joins the list.

Anyway, MIN is lucky to have one of the richest owners in the NBA, but nobody knows how much of a hit he's taken as well, and how willing he is to spend. The huge cost-cutting effort we did after the KG trade couldn't have come at a better time though. It looks like some really good big men on big contracts will not cost much assets at all to acquire, if Taylor is willing to sign the checks for one.
shrink
RealGM

Post#10 » by shrink » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:45 pm

Incidentally, here's the list from 2004-05 season of the owner's wealth

http://www.lipstickalley.com/showthread.php?t=122150

This is as of the 2004 ~ 2005 Season... that's THE LAST time.. an indepth look was given/taken...

Paul Allen Portland $20 billion
Micky Arison Miami $5.3 billion
Rich DeVos Orlando $3 billion
William Davidson Detroit $2.8 billion
5. Glen Taylor Minnesota $1.8 billion
Melvin Simon Indiana $1.6 billion
E. Stanley Kroenke Denver $1.4 billion
Mark Cuban Dallas $1.3 billion
Herb Simon Indiana $1.2 billion
10. Michael E. Heisley Memphis $850 million
Robert Johnson Charlotte $750 million
Howard Schultz Seattle $700 million
Donald Sterling L.A. Clippers $500 million
Cablevision New York $494 million
15. Larry Miller Utah $480 million
Dan Gilbert Cleveland $478 million
Bruce Ratner New Jersey $400 million
Robert Sarver Phoenix $400 million
Jerry Buss L.A. Lakers $380 million
20. Wyc Grousbeck Boston $360 million
Chris Cohan Golden State $325 million
Ed Snider Philadelphia $310 million
Steve Belkin Atlanta $300 million
Maple Leaf Sports Entertainment Toronto $297 million
25. Jerry Reinsdorf Chicago $280 million
Herb Kohl Milwaukee $279 million
Abe Pollin Washington $180 million
George Shinn New Orleans $100 million
Joe Maloof Sacramento $100 million
Gavin Maloof Sacramento $100 million
Leslie Alexander Houston $80 million
Peter Holt San Antonio $80 million

As you can see, Taylor is worth 20 times as some of the owners, but pales in comparison to Paul Allen. Top 5 though is a good place to be.
4ho5ive
Assistant Coach

Post#11 » by 4ho5ive » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:05 pm

Kaman and Haywood i'd be willing to deal the MIA pick and/or Pekovic, but Chandler...i dont think so. Maybe Peks cause as Karch mentioned getting minutes for him may be difficult, but i'd like to find out Peks' value around the league before i sell him off. Marc Gasol was a mid 2nd rounder but was the main piece for the Lakers to get Pau Gasol, im not saying we will get a Pau Gasol but i think we might be able to get more than a Tyson Chandler
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#12 » by Krapinsky » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:16 pm

4ho5ive wrote:Kaman and Haywood i'd be willing to deal the MIA pick and/or Pekovic, but Chandler...i dont think so. Maybe Peks cause as Karch mentioned getting minutes for him may be difficult, but i'd like to find out Peks' value around the league before i sell him off. Marc Gasol was a mid 2nd rounder but was the main piece for the Lakers to get Pau Gasol, im not saying we will get a Pau Gasol but i think we might be able to get more than a Tyson Chandler

Haywood is FA after 2010, so I don't see why you would do that.

Kaman's contract is terrible and probably could be had for an expiring so I'm not sure why you would do that.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
4ho5ive
Assistant Coach

Post#13 » by 4ho5ive » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:27 pm

Didnt know about Haywood's contract status. thanks for pointing that out. As for Kaman, his contract isnt any worse than Chandlers. Its a year longer but they both end up running past the 2010 FA Frenzy and Kaman actually has some offensive abilities to go with defensive skills. People here were talking about dealing the #3 for the #7 and Kaman before the draft IIRC.

If he could be had for an expiring, i dont see why someone wouldnt have already made a deal for him.
Rakocevicftw
Junior

Post#14 » by Rakocevicftw » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:30 am

The problem with Chandler is that he's really just a rebounder, and we already have two of the best rebounders in the NBA (maybe the best one?). You'd think he'd be a good shotblocker, but he really isn't except for his first year for the hornets.

I'm more than comfortable with the three headed monster of Pekovic-Jefferson-KLove. If we want to add shotblocking and athleticism, let's do it at the 3.
Zach Randolph>Frye. Kevin Durant > Oden. Random guy off street> Pritchard.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves