ImageImageImage

Captain Kirk revisited

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

4ho5ive
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Re: Captain Kirk revisited 

Post#261 » by 4ho5ive » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:37 pm

I think the deal they have with NYK of Hughes for Jerome James and Tim Thomas kills any chance of us getting Kirk. They now have plenty of useless big's on their roster that are only their for financial reasons. I dont see them taking on Collins in addition to James and Thomas while keeping Miller, Ty Thomas, Noah and Gray, thats way too many bigs.
john2jer
RealGM
And1: 452

Post#262 » by john2jer » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:38 pm

Steve_Holiday wrote:the people griping about hinrich's contract are the same ones who have made threads about handing marvin williams $9-13 million / season.

What a dumb comment. I think the numbers that most people, I included, have been at 8mil/season, or at least starting at 8 and maybe rising to 12mil at 1mil increments. So 5/50mil. But go ahead and twist if it makes you feel better.

Also, the comment about "the smartest team", I'm going to give the guy the benefit of the doubt and assume most people who called him a racist GROSSLY over-reacted. Seriously, there's enough racism out there that's legit to not have to jump on a comment on a forum that actually holds water.

Kirk Hinrich is credited with having a high BBIQ, as is Kevin Love, as is Mike Miller, as is Marvin Williams, and many other guys. If we could find a way to add Hinrich and Marvin, we'd have a VERY intelligent team, and race has nothing to do with it.

Kirk Hinrich isn't the world's greatest athlete, he's no slouch, but it's his high BBIQ that's helped keep him in the league and get him that crappy contract. Really, you have to be at least one of three things to make it in the league; a physical freak(Shaq), a phenomenal athlete(Tyrus Thomas), or have a high BBIQ(Hinrich). If you're none of the above, you're probably not going to cut it, or you're going to have to find a way to sign with the Wolves(Mark Madsen).

I'm trying hard to like this trade, as I don't toally mind Hinrich's skillset and whhat he'd bring.

Bulls give: Hinrich + Sefolsha
Wolves give: Cardinal + Madsen + McCants

About a break even this year, but then the Wolves lose 3mil next year, 9mil in 2010 and 8mil in 2011.

I'll give you that Hinrich is easy worth the 3mil in an upgrade over Madsen and Cardinal next year. And we're loaded with cap space in 2010 and on, so maybe it's not HORRIBLE if we can bring in a big time free agent in 2010, but it's putting our eggs in the same basket as everyone else.

Hinrich can defend, he can definitely knock down the triple, and he can run an offense, just don't expect him to get to the basket or hit the mid-range jumper. He won't get the defense on their heels at all, but he could help open space. In the draft if we can add Thabeet and Summers our perimeter defense has greatly improved and we have the eraser down low if things break down.

If Chicago is still in the running for Amare, we could definitely help and benefit there.

Chicago gives: Hinrich, Thomas, and Sefolsha + 2009 1st(lottery protected)
Chicago gets: Stoudemire

They get the man they're after who's a clear upgrade over Tyrus Thomas, without having to lose anyone else from the starting line-up. Cut Hinrich's ugly contract. They're the 8th seed now, and with Amare it's assumed that pick gets worse, so not a huge loss.

Minnesota gives: Cardinal, Collins, and Booth + Utah's 1st
Minnesota gets: Hinrich, Lopez, and Sefolsha

Moves guys that aren't playing for three guys that would. Adds to the rotation and getting Lopez now makes up for losing the Utah pick next year.

Suns give: Stoudemire and Lopez
Suns get: Thomas, Cardinal, Collins, and Booth + Chicago 2009 1st(protected) and Utah 2010 1st

Clears quite a bit of space this off-season, and a little more in 2010, plus the picks put them in a position to completely re-build in 2010 with Shaq and Nash coming off the books as well. They're then likely left with their own lottery pick this year if they faulter a little, Chicago's mid-1st, and a mid-1st next year.

Wolves line-up next year
C - Thabeet/Lopez
PF - Jefferson/Love
SF - Miller/Gomes
SG - Foye/Brewer
PG - Hinrich/Telfair

Plus Miami and Boston's picks.
basketball royalty wrote:Is Miami considered a big city in the States? I thought guys just went there because of the weather and the bitches?
john2jer
RealGM

Post#263 » by john2jer » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:47 pm

And Sheldon Williams which means Candace Parker HAS to get traded to the Lynx. The Lynx are gonna be amazing!
basketball royalty wrote:Is Miami considered a big city in the States? I thought guys just went there because of the weather and the bitches?
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#264 » by Krapinsky » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:21 pm

Looks like you dodged a bullet Shrink. You can rest easy and enjoy your future cap savings.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
the_bruce
Analyst
And1: 57

Post#265 » by the_bruce » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:39 pm

Dr.Krapinsky wrote:Looks like you dodged a bullet Shrink. You can rest easy and enjoy your future cap savings.

...and ~17m worth of expiring contracts next season!
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,519

Post#266 » by shrink » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:40 pm

Dr.Krapinsky wrote:Looks like you dodged a bullet Shrink. You can rest easy and enjoy your future cap savings.

My mattresses are stuffed, keeping Hinrich's fingers off my imaginary money!
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,371

Post#267 » by younggunsmn » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:47 pm

I'm with shrink on this one.

Hinrich is owed 17 million for '10 and '11. That is too much to swallow for what he brings to the table.
He would be a good distributor on offense and decent outside shooter. But we have too many players where size and athleticism are, to put it nicely, not their srong suit. To add another compounds the problem. Adding Bobby Brown was perfect because he is bigger, more athletic, and better defensively.

The trades at the deadline this year are just a forshadowing of the new economic reality in the NBA. The league is taking out a 175 million loan to help the teams that are losing money. When guys like tyson chandler get traded straight up for expirings, teams are getting pretty desperate.
Scratch that. I just read that Chandler failed his physical and the deal is off.

Now that the deadline has passed, come july when we can trade again brian cardinal's expiring will have more trade value than kirk hinrich. That to me is enough to not do the deal.

Also look how many quality PG's NOT NAMED RUBIO will be in this year's draft, where we have 2 top 20 picks: (from draft express's latest mock)

6. Brandon Jennings
8. Jeff Teague
9. Stephen Curry
13. Ty Lawson
15. Tyreke Evans
23. Darren Collison

Jrue Holiday is omitted for some reason.

Teague (foye clone) and Curry are tweeners and collison is undersized, I really like Tyreke Evans for our 2nd pick if we go center with our own pick. Also guys like eric maynor, johnny flynn, and maybe calathes from Florida will probably be available with boston's pick.

We need to stay the rebuilding course and not deal our expirings to get marginally better at tremendous financial cost. We're not at the point portland is yet where we can do that.
shrink
RealGM

Post#268 » by shrink » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:49 pm

FWIW, this was from the KFAN boards:

HeHateMe wrote:The Bulls upped the asking price after Nocioni was dealt to Sacramento yesterday -- they felt like they had gotten rid of one of their big contracts... so the asking price for Hinrich went up - expirings and supposedly Miami's first rounder.

I think it's good we didn't make a deal...

Buzz around T.C. is excitement for Bobby Brown. Good to see that deal made, I've been waiting for something to happen with Booth leaving the team.
john2jer
RealGM

Post#269 » by john2jer » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:54 pm

Hinrich is bigger than Bobby Brown for what it's worth. 6'3" 185 vs 6'2" 170
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,371

Post#270 » by younggunsmn » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:08 pm

Just realized that sorry. But brown is bigger than telfair so that's a plus.
john2jer
RealGM

Post#271 » by john2jer » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:34 pm

Don't get me wrong, though, I'd much rather pay Brown 700k next year than Hinrich 26.5mil over the next 3. I'm intrigued. He'll make a good back-up point. His defense will be much appreciated, and hopefully his energy is contagious.
Vindicater
General Manager
And1: 423

Post#272 » by Vindicater » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:41 pm

Well, no deal then I guess:) HOw fun
"That's why the last two years weren't guaranteed," Walsh said. "Either way, he knew it could have happened either way."
shrink
RealGM

Post#273 » by shrink » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:31 pm

Chicago Tribune wrote: Sources said Minnesota pursued Kirk Hinrich hard but wouldn't offer all expiring contracts.
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#274 » by revprodeji » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:54 pm

after reading the hoopus article I am glad we did not do the trade. But I like Hinrich.
http://www.timetoshop.org
Weight management, Sports nutrition and more...
Vindicater
General Manager
And1: 423

Post#275 » by Vindicater » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:55 am

Im disapointed, I really wanted hinrich here, he would have been great
"That's why the last two years weren't guaranteed," Walsh said. "Either way, he knew it could have happened either way."
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#276 » by revprodeji » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:43 am

I still think his skill set would be a good fit, but the cap is too much. Perhaps if we wait til draft time this year we can get more for him in exchange for the exp. Hinrich+ draft pick perhaps.
http://www.timetoshop.org
Weight management, Sports nutrition and more...
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,527

Post#277 » by Worm Guts » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:26 pm

revprodeji wrote:I still think his skill set would be a good fit, but the cap is too much. Perhaps if we wait til draft time this year we can get more for him in exchange for the exp. Hinrich+ draft pick perhaps.

I doubt it, getting a quality player for nothing but cap space is already a pretty sweet deal. It's too much to expect more.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves