ImageImageImage

k-love's future???

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach
And1: 1,262

k-love's future??? 

Post#1 » by NewWolvesOrder » Thu Mar 5, 2009 6:37 pm

with Mchale possibly out this summer and a new coach and possibly a new GM from outside, is their a possibility that new people don't see Jefferson/Love frontcourt long-term the way Mchale sees it and decide to trade Love? He should have pretty good trade value, for instance Jeff Green from OKC or Memphis lacks a pf and can trade their pick.
Do you think it could be good for wolves future?
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Re: k-love's future??? 

Post#2 » by Basti » Thu Mar 5, 2009 6:42 pm

james harden wrote:with Mchale possibly out this summer and a new coach and possibly a new GM from outside, is their a possibility that new people don't see Jefferson/Love frontcourt long-term the way Mchale sees it and decide to trade Love? He should have pretty good trade value, for instance Jeff Green from OKC or Memphis lacks a pf and can trade their pick.
Do you think it could be good for wolves future?

while I agree that his value is high and I'd look what we might get for him I wouldn't want to be the team iniating things. let the other team call us and play hard ball since a Al/Love front court seems to work (at least offensively).

but first and foremost I'd wait to see how lottery turns out for us
TDWOLVESFAN
Sophomore
And1: 1

Post#3 » by TDWOLVESFAN » Thu Mar 5, 2009 7:57 pm

I wouldn't trade him. Our weaknesses are greatest at center and point. We have enough picks and smaller pieces (like Craig Smith, possibly Cardinal's expiring) that we should be able to get a decent center who can play 20-25 mpg with Jefferson or Love at the PF. Jefferson can play 10-15 mpg @ C and 15-20 @ PF. The remaining minutes @ C go to a back-up (from one of our remaining picks). Love wouldn't have to play any minutes at center ... 25-30 minutes @ PF.

If by some (overdue) chance we do get Thabeet he would fit in very nicely. I have learned not to hold my breath with our draft positioning or our choices. I was so excited when we picked Roy a few years back and almost cried when they traded him away. (Didn't care for many of our picks even b4 they got here - Avery, Nikoditz, Wright, McCants, Spencer, Rickert, and the list goes on.)
Maybe this year when the draft is considered weak we will pick the sleepers of the draft and surprise everyone - still not holding my breath

I believe the free agent market will be much different this season with teams spending little $$$ or only giving 1-2 yr contracts. If many of the teams try to position themselves for the "great free agent signings" of 2010, they will be looking at the 1 yr veteran contracts. That should help us as we may be willing to go 2-3 yrs. (we have no chance of getting in on the 2010 free agents).
I've been a fan since the beginning and I will be until my end.
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#4 » by deeney0 » Thu Mar 5, 2009 10:23 pm

Love >> Jeff Green, who's just another PF anyhow.
invno1
Starter
And1: 9

Post#5 » by invno1 » Thu Mar 5, 2009 10:34 pm

Jeff Green is a Small Foward...OKC is playing him out of position and that is why OKC has a Power Forward at the top of there list. Maybe Monroe? A short while back I had suggested Involving Big Al to OKC with Green being a peice coming back for the Timberwolves gaping hole at SF the others were Westbrook and their pick, I got a spanking for even considering a trade involving AJ. Think Jefferson is on BYC so no matter.....Just ideas or options, Brass is going to do what the Brass is going to do.
john2jer
RealGM
And1: 452

Post#6 » by john2jer » Thu Mar 5, 2009 10:42 pm

invno1 wrote:Jeff Green is a Small Foward...OKC is playing him out of position and that is why OKC has a Power Forward at the top of there list. Maybe Monroe? A short while back I had suggested Involving Big Al to OKC with Green being a peice coming back for the Timberwolves gaping hole at SF the others were Westbrook and their pick, I got a spanking for even considering a trade involving AJ. Think Jefferson is on BYC so no matter.....Just ideas or options, Brass is going to do what the Brass is going to do.

if I recall correctly your suggested trade was Al Jefferson for Westbrook straight up, but you though OKC would shoot it down fairly quickly.

Now if we get the #1 pick I'd trade it and filler being Miller, Gomes, Foye, or Smith for some combination of their pick, Green, or Westbrook. I think Westbrook is probably the highest rated out of the three.

So something like:

Griffin + Miller + Gomes for OKC's 1st, Green, and Westbrook
Griffin + Gomes for OKC's 1st and Green
Griffin + Miller or Foye for OKC's 1st and Westbrook

I think a Westbrook and Brewer backcourt with either Foye or Miller rounding out the rotation would be sexy as hell. Our perimeter defense would be amazing, especially if we got Thabeet at the OKC pick, as it would allow our guys to gamble a little.

not sure on specifics, but a starting line-up of Thabeet/Jefferson/Green/SG/Westbrook with Love off the bench would be a beautifully put together rebuilding job.
basketball royalty wrote:Is Miami considered a big city in the States? I thought guys just went there because of the weather and the bitches?
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,359

Post#7 » by younggunsmn » Thu Mar 5, 2009 11:01 pm

I'd only trade Love if we could land an elite young center (or PG) as part of the deal. If we can land thabeet through the draft I'd keep him long term because I'd like that PF/C rotation long-term and turn Love into a PF version of Ginobli who kills the other team's 2nd unit.

One of miller and gomes needs to go this summer to open up minutes for brewer.
rick_21
Sophomore
And1: 26

Post#8 » by rick_21 » Thu Mar 5, 2009 11:31 pm

I don't see Kevin Love being traded this summer. The front office made a big deal after last year's draft to get him so it means that he'll be a very important piece for this team.

I think a frontcourt with Big Al and Love would work nice in the future. They can work together very well on the offensive end (nearly the best frontcourt in the league offensively) and of course they'll have some troubles in defense with bigger players but ,thinking about it, there aren´t so many low post dominant players in the NBA so Love -Jefferson could pair well with 3/4 teams in the league without being overpowered.
Then get a defensive center, role player, not neccesarely all-star caliber who can play 20-25 minutes or more if the opposing center is a tough matchup for Big Al. I think that kind of rotation could work.
Love as a 6th man is also a good idea because of his aggresive mentality and effort. You always need that toughness for a player coming off the bench.

It could be ironic that we get the nº1 pick in this draft, because the top prospects like Griffin, Monroe or Harden are all awful fits for this team (Thabeet is not a top prospect for me). If that happens, a trade is the only way, and anyone involving Jeff Green to the Wolves would made me happy, i like that guy.

PD: greetings from a Wolves fan here in Spain, please don´t be hard with my english level. I´m still learning... :wink:
4ho5ive
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Post#9 » by 4ho5ive » Thu Mar 5, 2009 11:38 pm

rick_21 wrote:I don't see Kevin Love being traded this summer. The front office made a big deal after last year's draft to get him so it means that he'll be a very important piece for this team.

I think a frontcourt with Big Al and Love would work nice in the future. They can work together very well on the offensive end (nearly the best frontcourt in the league offensively) and of course they'll have some troubles in defense with bigger players but ,thinking about it, there aren´t so many low post dominant players in the NBA so Love -Jefferson could pair well with 3/4 teams in the league without being overpowered.
Then get a defensive center, role player, not neccesarely all-star caliber who can play 20-25 minutes or more if the opposing center is a tough matchup for Big Al. I think that kind of rotation could work.
Love as a 6th man is also a good idea because of his aggresive mentality and effort. You always need that toughness for a player coming off the bench.

It could be ironic that we get the nº1 pick in this draft, because the top prospects like Griffin, Monroe or Harden are all awful fits for this team (Thabeet is not a top prospect for me). If that happens, a trade is the only way, and anyone involving Jeff Green to the Wolves would made me happy, i like that guy.

PD: greetings from a Wolves fan here in Spain, please don´t be hard with my english level. I´m still learning... :wink:

Actually your english is very good. and welcome to the board.

The thought process is that McHale went out of his way to get Love. Now that he isnt apart of the FO and may not even be with the organization next year maybe the new tandem in the FO (Stack and Freddy who both were rumored to want Mayo) may not like Love as a long term piece.

Personally i dont see us drafting and trading Mayo to potentially trade away Love Miller and Cardinal this offseason, I def see Miller and Cardinal being traded.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves