Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Winter Wonder
Rookie
And1: 0

Mil/Min 

Post#1 » by Winter Wonder » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:47 pm

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=893252

Purposed by a Buck fan.

OF interest if we decide not to plunge into the 2009 free agency pool.

Luke is an expiring, so doesn't hurt 2010 and could be a starter depending on what we feel Bassy and Foye's best roles are.

Alexander is a lottery prospect, though still very much a project. A long athletic 3 that can play some 4 (not that we need a 4). The concern here is if we think his salary will hurt in 2010.

Moving up about 5 spaces in the draft.

Over all, very interesting for the cost of 2009 capspace and upgrading our Miami pick.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Re: Mil/Min 

Post#2 » by Devilzsidewalk » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:58 pm

we'd have to get rid of Telfair somewhere
john2jer
RealGM
And1: 452

Post#3 » by john2jer » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:16 pm

Wolves don't have the cap space for that.
basketball royalty wrote:Is Miami considered a big city in the States? I thought guys just went there because of the weather and the bitches?
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#4 » by revprodeji » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:41 pm

We would use our cap space on a big fish. Not on a minor prospect. We have too many pieces and no studs.
http://www.timetoshop.org
Weight management, Sports nutrition and more...
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,603

Post#5 » by shrink » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:04 pm

I posted this on the trade board

shrink wrote:
john2jer wrote:Pretty sure the Wolves don't have the cap space to take on Ridnour and Alexander without giving up Salary. But I love the trade.

That's right. MIN will probably only have $2-$3 mil of 2009 cap space.

The back door to this is through Dallas.

DAL GIVES: Stackhouse + Shawne Williams
DAL GETS: Mike Miller

JES has mentioned this frequently. Miller is a nice fit because he's a great complimentary player with the rebounds, assists, et al, and he's an expiring so DAL can align a rebuild at 2010.

MIN GIVES: Mike Miller (+late pick?)
MIN GETS: Ridnour + Alexander + #13

MIL GIVES: Ridnour + Alexander + #13
MIL GETS: Stackhouse (+ late pick?)

Stackhouse has a salary of $7.25 mil, but can be bought out in August for $2.0 mil, so he'd effectively be a $5.25 mil 2009 TPE. Perhaps a MIL fan can say how much the Bucks need, but this is a super piece of raw cap space to help re-sign Sessions and CV and stay under the lux.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For MIN though .. I don't know. If they did the DAL part, they'd be $8 mil under the lux, and could make an offer to a guy like Marvin Williams, so some of the other 2009 free agents that deserve more than the MLE, but there aren't enough buyers to get one. Also, MIA is dropping like a stone, and their current pick is tied for 17 right now, and could be as low as 14. I think MIN would rather keep the pick and have Williams. I agree with gswhoops here -- if MIL wants raw cap space, nobody wants to trade it, and it'll cost a lot.

Finally, taking a MIN pick back kind of undoes the point of the trade -- clearing 2009 salary for MIL. I wouldn't put a pick in at all, but it would make more sense to include the UTA pick, which right now would be deferred for the future (Top 15-17 protected for the next four years).
Winter Wonder
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#6 » by Winter Wonder » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:08 pm

by revprodeji on Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:41 pm

We would use our cap space on a big fish. Not on a minor prospect. We have too many pieces and no studs.

I think the idea was that we would be using the cap space in 2010 for a big fish. That this would just be aquiring more assets (bait maybe?) before going after the big fish in the big pool next year.

Again, I haven't looked at the numbers on Alexander's salary, but the deal looks to give up very little (taking advantage of MIL financial difficulties and costing us something we may not have been using anyhow, 2009 cap space), collects additional assets, and doesn't look to stray from our 2010 plan of working that year's free agency.

Maybe we don't think possibly moving from the estimated 18th pick to the 13th or 10th (dependent on how far MIL slides) and collecting another lottery prospect (may have been a reach, but is the athletic wing most have said we lack) is worth 2009 cap space we may or may not use, that shouldn't greatly reduce our 2010 cap space. Maybe we do. But again, it is all dependent upon how much room we have and how much finageling we would have to do if we were to go over the cap, and staying over the cap is unacceptable.
the_bruce
Analyst
And1: 57

Post#7 » by the_bruce » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:57 am

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachi ... eId=c324n2

With the MIL pick coming our way for the utah pick. This fixes all MIL's financial woes. saving them uh....

4.9 in cap immediately from the trade
then another 5mil from stack buyout

plus I'd only do this in certain circumstances. I'd want to swap foye to somewhere as well. Then I'd try and move some pieces around a bit Foye + MIL + MIA pick to complement our long term pieces.

Al/Mullens(MIA pick)
Love
Gomes/brewer
Redd/Harden(mn pick)/Foye
Ridnour/Evans(mil pick)/brown

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves