ImageImageImageImageImage

OT:New York Rangers Stanley Cup Playoff Thread

Moderator: Morris_Shatford

Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Re: OT:New York Rangers Stanley Cup Playoff Thread 

Post#281 » by Dr. Detfink » Fri May 30, 2014 3:29 pm

BTW the rest is the BEST thing for guys like Lundqvist who really was ok in Game 6. He didn't have many challenges and the ONE threat hit the cross bar.

Stephan gets to rest his jaw. We'll see the appeal to Carcillo. He's served 3 of his 10. Can they cut it to 5 games? He's not THAT difference maker but he's an energy guy.
knickabocker88
Head Coach
And1: 1,940

Post#282 » by knickabocker88 » Fri May 30, 2014 3:31 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:The problem with Gaborik, smallish forwards tend to get crushed in the playoffs when it becomes a dump/chase/grind game. Nice player and great teammate BUT...he'd disappear come playoff time.

Give you an example of how different playoff hockey is, Boyle was a big NOTHING during the regular season. In the Playoffs, he's a MONSTER/WILD animal.

But he's beasting this Playoff Run

He got so much flack for not producing in the Playoffs and he had Torn Labrum
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#283 » by Dr. Detfink » Fri May 30, 2014 3:33 pm

knickabocker88 wrote:But he's beasting this Playoff Run

He got so much flack for not producing in the Playoffs and he had Torn Labrum

He's not even the 4th best player on the former Stanley Cup Champions.
dpgcdr
Pro Prospect
And1: 298

Post#284 » by dpgcdr » Fri May 30, 2014 3:36 pm

McDonagh is overrated, are talks serious he might be the next captain?
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#285 » by Dr. Detfink » Fri May 30, 2014 3:39 pm

I respectfully disagree. A skilled defenseman at age 24 is HUGE. The comparisons to Bobby Orr are ridiculous. That's the media talking. NOT the man.

You watch how McDonagh plays especially on the penalty kill, cutting down the angles when he squats so he can force a play...telling ya, he's a very good young guy.
dpgcdr
Pro Prospect

Post#286 » by dpgcdr » Fri May 30, 2014 5:48 pm

We'll see when he goes up against truly elite defensemen Drew Doughty or Duncan Keith.
HeartBreaking
Starter
And1: 2,313

Post#287 » by HeartBreaking » Fri May 30, 2014 7:30 pm

I really think the rangers won't be able to beat losangeles or chicago, losangeles also played 2 7 game series.

The kings beat the sharks after being down 3-0, and the sharks outclass new york and montreal by quite a bit. Also they beat anaheim in 7 games, which is another team better than new york or montreal. The only way new york wins is if henrik steals them every win.
PaulieWal wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:He's going to get fined by the league for that. Marv Albert was actually saying don't do that, don't do that. Meanwhile half the audience was thinking Marv should know.

That's Kevin Harlan.
dpgcdr
Pro Prospect

Post#288 » by dpgcdr » Fri May 30, 2014 7:39 pm

It's going to be same as the 1999 Knicks team. Have a lucky run throughout the East but :banghead: when you face the Western juggernaut.
HeartBreaking
Starter
And1: 2,313

Post#289 » by HeartBreaking » Fri May 30, 2014 8:25 pm

dpgcdr wrote:It's going to be same as the 1999 Knicks team. Have a lucky run throughout the East but :banghead: when you face the Western juggernaut.

It looks like that to be 100 percent honest. Anything can happen in hockey though, and thats what you fans should and probably do believe. I never thought montreal would get through boston, but they did. The thing about LA though is that you can not question the will they have, they are going to throw everything at you and are skilled.
PaulieWal wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:He's going to get fined by the league for that. Marv Albert was actually saying don't do that, don't do that. Meanwhile half the audience was thinking Marv should know.

That's Kevin Harlan.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#290 » by Dr. Detfink » Sat May 31, 2014 2:35 am

Chicago up 2-1 over the Kings midway through the second period. Good. Hope both teams are beyond exhausted and play triple over time before facing the Rangers.
Apples
Sixth Man
And1: 619

Post#291 » by Apples » Sat May 31, 2014 2:46 am

dpgcdr wrote:McDonagh is overrated, are talks serious he might be the next captain?

No he's not. He's an elite defenseman. You haven't watched the Rangers if you think he's overrated. And I mean since he came up, not just the playoffs this year.
HighRyzer83
RealGM
And1: 4,487

Post#292 » by HighRyzer83 » Sat May 31, 2014 3:04 am

Im getting into hockey lately. What are our chances against the Kings?
Apples
Sixth Man
And1: 619

Post#293 » by Apples » Sat May 31, 2014 3:29 am

HighRyzer83 wrote:Im getting into hockey lately. What are our chances against the Kings?

The Rangers will be underdogs against both teams. They match up a little better against the Hawks.

I would be concerned about the offense vs the Kings. However, I think the Ranger defense & goal-tending could keep the Kings in check.
AttackTheRack
Junior
And1: 82

Post#294 » by AttackTheRack » Sat May 31, 2014 4:29 am

Being out West, I've seen a lot of both squads. Loaded to the teeth. Championship-level coaching. Good home crowd advantage. Tough. Need a hot goalie for the upset. Could happen.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#295 » by Dr. Detfink » Sat May 31, 2014 4:38 am

Kings defense is awful but their goal tender is one of the best. Yea, their offense is elite but it's not better than Pittsburgh. The Hawks can play physical, offense, and defensively better but their goaltending is not as good as the Kings.

I can see the Hawks winning 5-3 in game 7.
N8isScofield
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,498

Post#296 » by N8isScofield » Sat May 31, 2014 9:42 am

dpgcdr wrote:McDonagh is overrated, are talks serious he might be the next captain?

I'm sorry what? He does absolutely everything you could possibly want from your young defenseman and he's gotten better every single year.
dpgcdr
Pro Prospect

Post#297 » by dpgcdr » Sat May 31, 2014 1:42 pm

N8isScofield wrote:

I'm sorry what? He does absolutely everything you could possibly want from your young defenseman and he's gotten better every single year.

You and others are buying into the media hype, especially New York media. Stop comparing him to Leetch.
The_Special_One
Sixth Man
And1: 2,201

Post#298 » by The_Special_One » Sat May 31, 2014 4:06 pm

About Henrik Lundqvist, “New York fits him,” Swedish centre Henrik Zetterberg told Sports Illustrated two years ago. “He wears it well, like his suits. The culture, the food, the fashion … If he wins [the Stanley Cup], just give him the key.”

Couldn't have said it better. 8-)
N8isScofield
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,498

Post#299 » by N8isScofield » Sat May 31, 2014 8:59 pm

dpgcdr wrote:
N8isScofield wrote:

You and others are buying into the media hype, especially New York media. Stop comparing him to Leetch.

You quote me so I assume you read before responding. Where did I mention Leetch? And I don't need the media to tell me how good the kid has been.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#300 » by Dr. Detfink » Sat May 31, 2014 9:41 pm

The Western Conference has a heavy bias with the country's media.

Last year the Detroit Red Wings went up 3-1 over the Blackhawks before Chicago came back and went to the Finals. Detroit was realigned in the Eastern Conference and folded easily against Boston. So that humanizes the West a little bit.

Interesting that a majority of the Experts on ESPN picked Montreal to go to the Cup...and WIN. So now that the Rangers have made it, it looks like the East isn't so feeble as people tend to think.

In fact, I don't see it in the same vein as the NBA where it's downright embarrassing if you can't make the playoffs in the Eastern Conference.

Return to New York Rangers