2008 Offseason Thread

Moderator: Gremz

timd1218
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 0

2008 Offseason Thread 

Post#1 » by timd1218 » Sat Jun 7, 2008 2:01 am

Here is a table I created. The Blue represents what I think the players will sign for.

I believe Orpik could get Scott Hannon money on the free agent market, but I believe he will sign here. Here is one quote where I came up with my decision:

Just from talking to other guys, I don't want to speak for them, but I know most of the guys, I think, will probably be willing to take a little bit less money to come back here," said Orpik. "That's how much guys like it here. I think the way we ended the season kind of left a sour taste in the guys' mouth, too, which might push some guys who want to come back here.

He also talked to some guys who left for more money and they told him, the grass isn't always greener. This was during the middle of the season and I don't have the link.

I came up with Hossa's contract from this quote:

I'd rather take less and play on a good team," Hossa said. "Hopefully, I can return here and be part of this organization but, with the salary cap, I know how hard it is. There's lots of players to be signed, so we'll see what's going to happen.

Per: http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?articleid=36...rvice=page

You could also front load Hossa's contract so he is getting paid upfront.

For Malkin's 09/10 salary, I just can't see him making more money then Sid, while being on the Pens.

With the Cap possibly being 56 million next year, it gives the team some wiggle room incase of call ups during the season, do to injuries. They could buy out Sydor and save a million on the cap hit. The only problem is, there is still a hole for a winger for Geno. You could move Staal there and have Max become the 3rd line center. Plus, Laraque would be gone, which could bring back the cheap shots.

I have so many possibilities that could happen. I'm just glad I'm not Ray Shero. I do believe in him though, to make the correct moves.

Will be an entertaining offseason.
I know what you're thinking. We're in the middle of a city, what's a hawk doing there?
drew881
RealGM
And1: 4,972

Re: 2008 Offseason Thread 

Post#2 » by drew881 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:09 am

From Yahoo NHL:

• Three big stories on the NHL landscape this weekend. The first is news that the Pittsburgh Penguins have made Marian Hossa a seven-year, $50 million contract offer.

7 Years at 50 is a bit more than 7 a year. I am fine with that. It is a lot, but he probably could get more.

Malkin was just quoted saying he doesn't want Ovechkin money. He also doesn't even want Crosby money he said, and he mentioned he thinks they will have a contract done in the next month. He wants 5-6 years. 7-8.5 makes sense. Hopefully we can get him for the same price as Hossa.

I noticed your spreadsheet doesn't have Malone, and I'm sure he is a foregone conclusion to leave. You also don't have Staal past next year. Do you think they let him walk or won't be able to resign him?

As for Orpik, I still don't think we will sign him. In that quote you copied, he is talking about other players taking less money, while not necessarily mentioning himself. He doesn't really get along with Therrien either. I really wish we could somehow dump Ryan Whitney, but I don't see any takers. I don't think we need him with Letang most likely progressing and Goligosky being on our team next year (20 pts in the post season for Baby Pens).

Finally, writing off that Dupuis and Ruutu will sign for the same 1 mil contracts isn't realistic. I think they will demand 1.5 to 2 (especially dupuis).
timd1218
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by timd1218 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:03 pm

drew881 wrote:From Yahoo NHL:

• Three big stories on the NHL landscape this weekend. The first is news that the Pittsburgh Penguins have made Marian Hossa a seven-year, $50 million contract offer.

7 Years at 50 is a bit more than 7 a year. I am fine with that. It is a lot, but he probably could get more.

Malkin was just quoted saying he doesn't want Ovechkin money. He also doesn't even want Crosby money he said, and he mentioned he thinks they will have a contract done in the next month. He wants 5-6 years. 7-8.5 makes sense. Hopefully we can get him for the same price as Hossa.

I noticed your spreadsheet doesn't have Malone, and I'm sure he is a foregone conclusion to leave. You also don't have Staal past next year. Do you think they let him walk or won't be able to resign him?

As for Orpik, I still don't think we will sign him. In that quote you copied, he is talking about other players taking less money, while not necessarily mentioning himself. He doesn't really get along with Therrien either. I really wish we could somehow dump Ryan Whitney, but I don't see any takers. I don't think we need him with Letang most likely progressing and Goligosky being on our team next year (20 pts in the post season for Baby Pens).

Finally, writing off that Dupuis and Ruutu will sign for the same 1 mil contracts isn't realistic. I think they will demand 1.5 to 2 (especially dupuis).

Orpik has said he will take less money to play in Pittsburgh. I don't have the links on hand, but I could get them. I don't see where all of this Orpik-Therrien talk came from. Orpik himself, even said it wasn't true. He asked a reporter where the quotes were in all those articles. Not one single quote from Orpik himself saying he disliked Therrien. It's nothing but a rumor.

Whitney should not go anywhere. He had wrist surgery in the off-season and never fulled recovered. In 2 years, him making 4 million a season will be a steal. As of too many offensive D-men on the roster. I think Letang will be a two-way player more than an offensive defenseman.

I don't have Staal on there because I think Staal won't sign next season and a team will offer him a contract as an RFA and the Pens won't sign him. I honestly don't blame Staal because he has potential to be a 1st or 2nd line center and playing on the Pens, he will be the 3rd line center.

Ruutu has said he wants to stay with the Pens over and over again. In order for him to do that, he's gotta take 1 million.

If someone offers Dupuis more than 1 million, they can take him.
I know what you're thinking. We're in the middle of a city, what's a hawk doing there?
timd1218
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by timd1218 » Tue Jul 1, 2008 3:19 am

Well, on the eve of Free Agent signing, Shero has yet to sign any of his UFA's. I think Orpik will be signed tomorrow by the Pens. Not worried about him. Hopefully, Hossa will also be a Penguin tomorrow.

In Shero I Trust!
timd1218
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by timd1218 » Tue Jul 1, 2008 3:27 pm

Looks as if Geno is about to ink a new deal:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=242152& ... pStory_nhl

Look for it to be around 5 years, $8.5 million per season.
timd1218
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by timd1218 » Tue Jul 1, 2008 3:53 pm

Dupuis re-signed for 3 years.

Link: http://postgazette.com/pg/08183/893945-100.stm

Edit:

TSN has it at $1.4M a year.
timd1218
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by timd1218 » Thu Jul 3, 2008 4:36 am

Eaton for 2 years, $4 M

Orpik re-signs for 6 years, $3.75 M per year.

Fleury's contract is just about finished. Reports are 6 years, $33 M
timd1218
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by timd1218 » Thu Jul 3, 2008 9:49 pm

Fleury's contract is finished. 7 years, $35 M

Satan signs for 1 year, $3.5 M

Fetetanko signs as well for 1 year, $2.5 M

Hopefully, Sydor will get traded, freeing up $2.5 M. Will give the team $6 M to get Matt Cooke and Jason Williams.

I like the Satan and Fedetanko. Fed can take the role of Malone over. I think Satan will hit at least 30 goals playing on a line with Sid.
timd1218
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by timd1218 » Mon Jul 7, 2008 5:09 am

Matt Cooke is the newest member of the Pens.

2 years, $1.2 million a season. Here to replace Ruutu. I like it. I will miss Jarrko though and it will be odd seeing him play on the Sens.

Awesome, I'm talking to myself.
UTMCretin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Post#10 » by UTMCretin » Mon Jul 7, 2008 5:51 am

timd1218 wrote:

You almost say that like it's a bad thing.

Here's the latest on the potential of a Sydor deal:

There is a mutual interest from the Penguins and Daryl Sydor that a trade is the best thing for both parties. According to a source, the Tampa Bay Lightning may be a suitor for Daryl Sydor if the team misses out on defenseman Jason Smith. The Lightning are looking for a veteran presence and Gary Roberts is very close to Sydor and there have been some whispers that he is pushing for the team to acquire Sydor. The Penguins are basically offering Sydor for a late round pick. Tampa Bay is also interested in Rob Scuderi. His name is coming up a lot. The vibe I'm getting is Shero doesn't really want to move Scuderi. Atlanta has also been a team that is believed to have mild interest in Sydor. Earlier today i wrote the Ottawa Senators have had talks about acquiring Sydor and Scuderi. My sources indicate those talks have been unproductive. Should have some more info on Sydor tomorrow.

http://www.theinsideronpittsburghsports.com/

The suspense is mounting and excitement is afoot. Something's gotta give in this clash of veritable titans.
jayknicks
Junior

Post#11 » by jayknicks » Mon Jul 7, 2008 5:49 pm

Yea I'm really glad we locked up our young guys and Orpik stayed with us. Without Hossa, maybe they'll give Staal more of a role this year..to even play along side Malkin or Crosby as a winger despite his numbers dropping last yr.
timd1218
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by timd1218 » Mon Jul 7, 2008 6:34 pm

UTMCretin wrote:
timd1218 wrote:

You almost say that like it's a bad thing.

Here's the latest on the potential of a Sydor deal:

There is a mutual interest from the Penguins and Daryl Sydor that a trade is the best thing for both parties. According to a source, the Tampa Bay Lightning may be a suitor for Daryl Sydor if the team misses out on defenseman Jason Smith. The Lightning are looking for a veteran presence and Gary Roberts is very close to Sydor and there have been some whispers that he is pushing for the team to acquire Sydor. The Penguins are basically offering Sydor for a late round pick. Tampa Bay is also interested in Rob Scuderi. His name is coming up a lot. The vibe I'm getting is Shero doesn't really want to move Scuderi. Atlanta has also been a team that is believed to have mild interest in Sydor. Earlier today i wrote the Ottawa Senators have had talks about acquiring Sydor and Scuderi. My sources indicate those talks have been unproductive. Should have some more info on Sydor tomorrow.

http://www.theinsideronpittsburghsports.com/

The suspense is mounting and excitement is afoot. Something's gotta give in this clash of veritable titans.

It is a bad thing. It gets boring after a while.

Anyway, I really hope Tampa Bay takes Sydor. Sydor would get a good veteran defenseman for Tampa Bay.
timd1218
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by timd1218 » Mon Jul 7, 2008 6:43 pm

jayknicks wrote:Yea I'm really glad we locked up our young guys and Orpik stayed with us. Without Hossa, maybe they'll give Staal more of a role this year..to even play along side Malkin or Crosby as a winger despite his numbers dropping last yr.

Orpik is a man of his words, one of the few professional athletes in the world today. He said he would take less to stay with the Pens and he did. That is why he is my favorite player. Plus, he will now be an Assistant captain on the team also.

I don't see Staal becoming a winger. He is too valuable as a shut down 3rd line center. Max Talbot is not big and physical enough to play that position. Staal had a tremendous playoffs in that position. He is become a much better face-off man. Staal will get a lot of PP time now though. More than likely, he will play in front of the net.

This is what I see the lines looking like next season.

Janne Pesonen/Dupuis-Crosby-Satan
Fedotenko-Malkin-Sykora
Kennedy/Dupuis-Staal-Cooke
Godard-Talbot-Stone/Kennedy

Gonchar-Orpik
Whitney-Eaton
Letang-Gill
Scuds as the 7th

Janne Pesonen intrigues me because he finished 4th in the Finnish League last year in points. The Finnish League is known as a defensive league. He has skill and is quick. He is 26 years old. I like this move by Shero. If he doens't make the team, more than likely, he will go back to Finland and the Pens won't have to pay him anything. If he makes the team, he will probably be on the 1st line.
andreaguiar
Head Coach
And1: 2

Post#14 » by andreaguiar » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:47 am

What do you guys think about acquiring mark parrish to take on Malone's role. I don't think Fedotenko can take all the hit by himself honestly even though I thought acquiring him was a great move.
If we traded Sydor I'd say Parrish would look nice on a line with Jordan Staal.

First time posting...
timd1218
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by timd1218 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:11 am

andreaguiar wrote:What do you guys think about acquiring mark parrish to take on Malone's role. I don't think Fedotenko can take all the hit by himself honestly even though I thought acquiring him was a great move.
If we traded Sydor I'd say Parrish would look nice on a line with Jordan Staal.

First time posting...

I don't care for Mark Parrish. He isn't that good and is probably demanding $1 million per season. Not worth it. I think the team is set unless they can unload Sydor then I could see them possibly making a play for Shanahan, if he is available or save the cap room and make an impact trade come deadline for the Cup push.

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins