ImageImageImageImageImage

Mason Plumlee

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Re: Mason Plumlee 

Post#101 » by MGrand15 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:20 pm

I don't think Mason was great last year but I'd love to see him learn from this Team USA experience. A lot of guys have put it together after a summer with Team USA. I'm most excited about his defense potentially taking a step up. If he could turn into a 30+ mpg guy that can play PF and C, that would be a huge help.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#102 » by Paradise » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:31 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
Paradise wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/491599754556502016[/tweet]

Mason will scrimmage against Drummond, Davis, Love and Cousins. It will be televised on NBA TV.

Holy crap. I hope he rises to the challenge.

Mason with a behind the back crossover on Anthony Davis and dunks on him. :lol:

http://instagram.com/p/rBAWrZCipd/
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 35,869

Post#103 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:57 am

Paradise wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Paradise wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/491599754556502016[/tweet]

Mason will scrimmage against Drummond, Davis, Love and Cousins. It will be televised on NBA TV.

Holy crap. I hope he rises to the challenge.

Mason with a behind the back crossover on Anthony Davis and dunks on him. :lol:

http://instagram.com/p/rBAWrZCipd/

Meanwhile, certain short sighted Net fans are still crying over the corpse of the Paul Pierce
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
M I K E
Junior
And1: 42

Post#104 » by M I K E » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:17 pm

Here you go MrDollarBills.

[instagram]http://instagram.com/p/rBAWrZCipd/[/instagram]
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#105 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:21 pm

That's what I want to see. Attack the basket and throw it down!!

MaxZaslofskyJr
Rookie
And1: 667
Location: Teaneck, Long Island, Piscataway, Meadowlands, Newark, Brooklyn

Post#106 » by MaxZaslofskyJr » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:21 pm

M I K E wrote:Here you go MrDollarBills.

[instagram]http://instagram.com/p/rBAWrZCipd/[/instagram]

Impressive. I see a lot of improvement in that video alone. I'm sure there were exceptions but my image of Plumlee last year is almost totally of him of scoring on put-backs and alley-oops. Hope he can do moves like that consistently.
Les Selvage pioneered today's "modern basketball" in 1967.
Paradise

Post#107 » by Paradise » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:27 pm

He made it

[tweet]https://twitter.com/adamosgp/status/494212497646170113[/tweet]
jeff1624
RealGM
And1: 1,068

Post#108 » by jeff1624 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:43 pm

Is Plumlee really the best they could get?
Dat Leadership
Paradise

Post#109 » by Paradise » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:05 pm

jeff1624 wrote:Is Plumlee really the best they could get?

Yes. Considering his compeition on the Select Team was Miles Plumlee, Cody Zeller, Hardaway JR.
F3LON
Banned User
And1: 187

Post#110 » by F3LON » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:19 am

Why does everyone act like Plumlee is some scrub. He was 3rd in the NBA at finishing at the rim. He is going to be a very good player.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#111 » by NyCeEvO » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:52 am

F3LON wrote:

Why does everyone act like Plumlee is some scrub. He was 3rd in the NBA at finishing at the rim.

Look at the start of this thread.

People had pretty low expectations for him and were kinda ripping on BK for taking him.

The prevailing notion that he was close to, if not already at, his ceiling when he was drafted.

Obviously he's proving otherwise. With that said, we do need to remember that this is practice and he's filling an area of need in athletic centers who have at least an average BBIQ.

Imo, the great thing is that he's on his own out there and he's not shrinking from the challenge. Even if that behind-the-back crossover to a dunk on AD wasn't in a real game, it shows Plumlee wants to impose his will on others rather than allowing others to do impose on him. Good stuff.
jeff1624
RealGM
And1: 1,068

Post#112 » by jeff1624 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:44 pm

F3LON wrote:

Why does everyone act like Plumlee is some scrub. He was 3rd in the NBA at finishing at the rim. He is going to be a very good player.

He isn't a scrub. He was much better than I anticipated and he'll have a long NBA career, but did you not see him in the playoffs? He isn't a high level impact player right now... so him actually being on the short list to be on team USA is surprising to me.
Dat Leadership
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Post#113 » by NyCeEvO » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:39 pm

jeff1624 wrote:
F3LON wrote:

He isn't a scrub. He was much better than I anticipated and he'll have a long NBA career, but did you not see him in the playoffs? He isn't a high level impact player right now... so him actually being on the short list to be on team USA is surprising to me.

I think he just tired and hit a wall.

He played 4 years of college ball where he only played 30-35 games a season. As an athlete, your body and mind gets used to that amount of work over that length of time.

Then one day, you jump from 30+ games to a minimum of 82 games, you're on a plane like 150-ish times a season, and you play against better competition.

Considering all of these elements, I'm not surprised that he started to suck at the end of the season. I hope that was his "sophomore slump" which came early and now he'll continue to improve this season.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#114 » by Prokorov » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:48 pm

NyCeEvO wrote:
jeff1624 wrote:
F3LON wrote:

He played 4 years of college ball where he only played 30-35 games a season. As an athlete, your body and mind gets used to that amount of work over that length of time.

Then one day, you jump from 30+ games to a minimum of 82 games, you're on a plane like 150-ish times a season, and you play against better competition.

Considering all of these elements, I'm not surprised that he started to suck at the end of the season. I hope that was his "sophomore slump" which came early and now he'll continue to improve this season.

its not unusualy for young players, let alone rookies kinda crap their pants in the playoffs. look at the raps last year. i would dismiss his playoff struggles completely and look at his bigger body of work
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#115 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:15 pm

jeff1624 wrote:
F3LON wrote:

Plumlee was a rookie who had hit the wall and was in over his head in the playoffs. Putting his entire body of work last season together and seeing that he clearly has room to improve in several different aspects(and he is clearly putting in the work), he has quickly become a player that has legitimate potential to be successful in the NBA.

Him being added to the team is not a surprise to me. Only Net fans undervalue this guy and it's ridiculous. I think he's going to be one of our most valued players after next season. He is an elite finisher. ELITE. We have not had a guy with this combination of size and athleticism that plays above the rim since Kenyon Martin and people here downplay him.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#116 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:24 pm

Also, Plums is a Duke player. Who is the coach of Team USA?

Bro Johnson
Banned User
And1: 330

Post#117 » by Bro Johnson » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:37 pm

jeff1624 wrote:
F3LON wrote:

I think the fact that he's a phenomenal pick-and-roll player and is very active is really helping him. I doubt he makes the team, and if by some stroke of luck he does, I seriously doubt he'll see any action (except for in extreme blowouts) but he's kind of like the Scal. for the team...
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Post#118 » by NyCeEvO » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:31 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
jeff1624 wrote:
F3LON wrote:

Plumlee was a rookie who had hit the wall and was in over his head in the playoffs. Putting his entire body of work last season together and seeing that he clearly has room to improve in several different aspects(and he is clearly putting in the work), he has quickly become a player that has legitimate potential to be successful in the NBA.

Him being added to the team is not a surprise to me. Only Net fans undervalue this guy and it's ridiculous. I think he's going to be one of our most valued players after next season. He is an elite finisher. ELITE. We have not had a guy with this combination of size and athleticism that plays above the rim since Kenyon Martin and people here downplay him.

I don't think people downplay Plumlee.

I think the main question is whether Plumlee was mainly a beneficiary of our playing style (i.e. great stats with low impact), our system benefited from Plumlee's skills (i.e. good stats but high impact), or there was a mutually positive synergy between Plumlee and our system.

I'm in the 3rd option group. Plumlee adds verticality to our game when he's on the floor which gives us another dimension to hurt the opposition. He also can help trap ballhandlers in PnR situations.

With that said, the level of production he had at the end of the season was pretty good, but I don't think his impact was as great as some people were claiming.

Some people mentioned a great W/L record with him starting as if that's the sole and best indicator of his individual impact (something like what the RAPM attempts to quantify). I think our team was poorly configured and Mason was the type of player (athletic big man) that allowed the team to operate in the way it should've been run from the start.

He made us a more efficient offense (+1.7 ORTG/+1.6% eFG when on-court) but the opposition also became more efficient (+4.0 ORTG/+1.8% eFG when on-court).

These offensive highlights in practice are good but we can really benefit the most from him improving on the defensive end and learning how to QB/anchor our defense. He's got all of the tools T.Chandler has. I'm hoping he sees that and puts in the work to raise his defensive BBIQ.

I don't expect him to be a top 20 player at any point in his career but his ceiling can Chandler-esque if he continues to put in the work and learn from KG.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Post#119 » by NyCeEvO » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:35 pm

Prokorov wrote:
NyCeEvO wrote:
jeff1624 wrote:

its not unusualy for young players, let alone rookies kinda crap their pants in the playoffs. look at the raps last year. i would dismiss his playoff struggles completely and look at his bigger body of work

Look at the Wizards too.

They were playing well in the playoffd and at a few points looked they could seriously make it to the ECF to face the Heat.

Then Wall and Beal looked like they just hit a wall and fell apart. It was their first time in the playoffs too.
Paradise

Post#120 » by Paradise » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:25 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/usabasketball/status/494585423826796546[/tweet]

Return to Brooklyn Nets