ImageImageImageImageImage

2017-2018 Off-Season Prediction Thread

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,850

Re: 2017-2018 Off-Season Prediction Thread 

Post#141 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:56 pm

Why would anyone trade for Justin Hamilton?

Outside of Lopez, Lin, the young guys, and maybe Booker, why would anyone trade anything for what's left?
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Zachbretton
Rookie
And1: 322

Post#142 » by Zachbretton » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:28 pm

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2705120-2017-nba-free-agent-stock-watch-playoff-edition

I'm thinking that an interesting target that's flying under the radar is Joe Ingles.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/i/inglejo01.html

I think he's a pretty solid Wing player that has shown throughout this season and post season that he can defend at a pretty high level. In the Jazz system he's asked to handle the ball every once in a while and make some plays (thus I think can be a fit in the Motion offense). He is a hell of a shooter and is someone whose stats are limited because of his minutes and role. I think we could make a pretty nice offer that the Jazz would walk away from. The only downside is his age, but he doesn't have a game that I think is going to drop off so quickly.

He is the exact kind of buy low move that Marks should be aiming for. We need as many high level shooters as we can get, and the fact that he defends better than our current wing options in Harris, Skil and KJ is a huge plus.

What do you guys think is a number that can get him here but is not too much of an over pay.

Another target that I think a lot of people dismiss is Mirotic. I think the Bulls, and especially Hoiberg, is not getting the most out of him. I think his time is Europe is still very telling and we know that Marks and Co value the Euroleague. I think he's another quality shooter that is able to pull some boards. I think he's a defensive liability in some ways, but I can imagine a way for him to get utilized much better here. I also think the Bulls don't value him highly and would drop him with ease. The PF market is not that open, except for the larger fish like Blake, Millsap, and Serge. I don't think we can get Millsap or Blake, and unsure if they're the right fit here. I think Serge is also not the best idea, and have thing turn out like the Magic (as much as I like his game, I think he wants to be on a winner). Mirotic can be given a good amount of shots and minutes and can be used in an interesting small lineup with Lin, LeVert, RHJ, and whoever we slot at SG.

I know we will make major offers to RFAs; like KCP and Porter. I just think we should also be aiming for players like we did with Tyler Johnson last offseason. Someone who has a clear set of skills that are a match, but we don't have to back up the Brinks truck for. I like KCP and Otto, but I worry about giving them Max offers and hamstringing our future.

We could pick up Mirotic AND Ingles, and not lock us into no cap space moving forward.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#143 » by NyCeEvO » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:05 pm

SpeedyG wrote:
NyCeEvO wrote:
playteamball wrote:
Teodosic was asked his thoughts about the young European players that are “rushing” to the NBA even if they know they won’t have playing time: “For me this is an error. I like to play and I don’t like to sit on the bench and I would not agree on any contract if I have to sit on the bench. This is my condition for going to the NBA.”. 3 months ago – via Sportando

I think this is a quite literal interpretation. I read it as him saying he doesn't want to spend a ton of time sitting on a bench and that too many European players rush to the NBA only to get DNPs and garbage time minutes. Hasn't he come off the bench a number of times within recent memory?

Yeah I agree with this. I don't think he necessarily means he wants to start, but just he wants to play. Coming to the NBA and getting DNPs or limited minutes isn't what he's looking for.

If Sean and Kenny promises him 6th man minutes, I think he'd bite.

Keep in mind that the NBA game (and season) is longer than Euroleague. Nets (or whatever NBA team) giving him 6th man minutes at 25 or so mpg would be just a few minutes less what he'd play in a Euroleague game

Yeah, considering that defense isn't really a concern for backup PGs as well as the fact that the Nets have expressed interest in having multiple ballhandlers, I can definitely see him getting a steady diet of 20-25mpg coming in as the backup and playing alongside Lin.
Curns13
Pro Prospect
And1: 267

Post#144 » by Curns13 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:38 pm

Zachbretton wrote:http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2705120-2017-nba-free-agent-stock-watch-playoff-edition

I'm thinking that an interesting target that's flying under the radar is Joe Ingles.

I think he's a pretty solid Wing player that has shown throughout this season and post season that he can defend at a pretty high level. In the Jazz system he's asked to handle the ball every once in a while and make some plays (thus I think can be a fit in the Motion offense). He is a hell of a shooter and is someone whose stats are limited because of his minutes and role. I think we could make a pretty nice offer that the Jazz would walk away from. The only downside is his age, but he doesn't have a game that I think is going to drop off so quickly.

He is the exact kind of buy low move that Marks should be aiming for. We need as many high level shooters as we can get, and the fact that he defends better than our current wing options in Harris, Skil and KJ is a huge plus.

What do you guys think is a number that can get him here but is not too much of an over pay.

Another target that I think a lot of people dismiss is Mirotic. I think the Bulls, and especially Hoiberg, is not getting the most out of him. I think his time is Europe is still very telling and we know that Marks and Co value the Euroleague. I think he's another quality shooter that is able to pull some boards. I think he's a defensive liability in some ways, but I can imagine a way for him to get utilized much better here. I also think the Bulls don't value him highly and would drop him with ease. The PF market is not that open, except for the larger fish like Blake, Millsap, and Serge. I don't think we can get Millsap or Blake, and unsure if they're the right fit here. I think Serge is also not the best idea, and have thing turn out like the Magic (as much as I like his game, I think he wants to be on a winner). Mirotic can be given a good amount of shots and minutes and can be used in an interesting small lineup with Lin, LeVert, RHJ, and whoever we slot at SG.

I know we will make major offers to RFAs; like KCP and Porter. I just think we should also be aiming for players like we did with Tyler Johnson last offseason. Someone who has a clear set of skills that are a match, but we don't have to back up the Brinks truck for. I like KCP and Otto, but I worry about giving them Max offers and hamstringing our future.

We could pick up Mirotic AND Ingles, and not lock us into no cap space moving forward.

I really like Ingles, but I'm an Aussie so I'm very biased. I wonder if 4 years, $48 million would do it and while not breaking the bank?
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#145 » by Prokorov » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:06 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:Why would anyone trade for Justin Hamilton?

Outside of Lopez, Lin, the young guys, and maybe Booker, why would anyone trade anything for what's left?

because he is cheap and he is a big who can shoot. thats still a bit rare and for teams with no cap its an option. if he gives you 10-12 minute and shoots it at 35ish% from three for a team that lacks spacing that is valueable
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#146 » by Prokorov » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:08 pm

im very down on mirotic. he didnt shoot it very well and is a black hole at times. to me he is a mirza level player not a starter
Kaiser30
Senior
And1: 172

Post#147 » by Kaiser30 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:51 pm

Zachbretton wrote:http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2705120-2017-nba-free-agent-stock-watch-playoff-edition

I mentioned Ingles some weeks ago in the "Free Agency tracker" thread. Super competitive and well-rounded player who could literally help any team in the NBA. For some in a bigger, for some in a lesser role. And in case of the Nets, he would definitely be the upgrade at the 3 Marks talked about recently.

However, due to his good performances in the playoffs, I just can't see the Jazz - a team that wants to retain Hayward and compete in the West - letting him walk despite being capped out and having his Bird rights. Pretty much like the Blazers last summer. On top of that, his restricted free agency makes it even more difficult to get him.

PJ Tucker seems to be a much more realistic option by now as he is a one of the better wing defenders, an average shooter and most importantly a great leader. And I wouldn't be mad at all with an offseason consisting of top execution on both first round picks, Teodosic and Tucker.
Roy Tarpley
Veteran
And1: 987

Post#148 » by Roy Tarpley » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:01 pm

Foye is definitely gone. But is McDaniels pretty much gone too? He's on the bottom of the totem pole and the team has the option. Unless there's a big trade to free spots I guess.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#149 » by CalamityX12 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:31 pm

Prokorov wrote:im very down on mirotic. he didnt shoot it very well and is a black hole at times. to me he is a mirza level player not a starter

I was so much a fan of Mirotic but this series has really put him on a sour spot for me.

I'm like wtf happened with this guy, pressure? Not the same guy I've known for a couple of seasons.
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#150 » by Prokorov » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:43 pm

Roy Tarpley wrote:Foye is definitely gone. But is McDaniels pretty much gone too? He's on the bottom of the totem pole and the team has the option. Unless there's a big trade to free spots I guess.

I think they like mcdaniels and he impacted well on defense...

i'd say the chopping block is in order:

Foye - UFA
Kilpatrick - Team option
Hamilton - 3M gauranteed
Goodwin - Team opton
Booker - 9.5M gauranteed
Mcdaniels - Team option
Harris - Team option

2 need to go at a minimum
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#151 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:07 pm

Give me PJ Tucker or Joe Ingles. Both of them are tough as nails.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#152 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:09 pm

Curns13 wrote:

I really like Ingles, but I'm an Aussie so I'm very biased. I wonder if 4 years, $48 million would do it and while not breaking the bank?

I'm all in on Ingles with you dude.

Honestly, after watching the Aussie national team during the olympics, I am pretty much a fan of all Aussie NBA players. Those dudes play basketball like men. Not afraid to get a bit dirty either. Patty Mills, Aron Baynes, Ingles, Matt D, all guys i'd want as Nets for how they approach the game.

Prokorov
RealGM

Post#153 » by Prokorov » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:28 pm

i like ingles, but he is one of those tough inbetween contracts like 12-16 million where he eats your cap but doesnt have a huge impact. id rather drastically overpay a better player then to give him what he is worth. I dont think we can afford to give out any more 10-15M contracts to role guys unless its 1+1 deals
Roy Tarpley
Veteran
And1: 987

Post#154 » by Roy Tarpley » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:45 pm

Prokorov wrote:
Roy Tarpley wrote:Foye is definitely gone. But is McDaniels pretty much gone too? He's on the bottom of the totem pole and the team has the option. Unless there's a big trade to free spots I guess.

I think they like mcdaniels and he impacted well on defense...

i'd say the chopping block is in order:

Foye - UFA
Kilpatrick - Team option
Hamilton - 3M gauranteed
Goodwin - Team opton
Booker - 9.5M gauranteed
Mcdaniels - Team option
Harris - Team option

2 need to go at a minimum

Here's my chopping block. McDaniels and Harris had the worst BPMs and there's a glut at the SG/SF position.

Foye - UFA
Mcdaniels - Team option
Goodwin - Team option
Harris - Team option
Kilpatrick - Team option
Hamilton - 3M guaranteed
Booker - 9.5M guaranteed
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#155 » by Prokorov » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:48 pm

Roy Tarpley wrote:
Here's my chopping block. McDaniels and Harris had the worst BPMs and there's a glut at the SG/SF position.

BPM is a really bad measure specifically for teams that are both really bad or really good (SRS/Wins). McDaniels also had a short sample and didnt play with starters. Harris was injured for almost the enitre duration when Lin was back. So he is effected there.

Foye - UFA
Mcdaniels - Team option
Goodwin - Team option
Harris - Team option
Kilpatrick - Team option
Hamilton - 3M guaranteed
Booker - 9.5M guaranteed

I think we all know Foye is gone. thats a lock. From there Kilpatrick has to be a near lock. everyone else is up in the air.
Curns13
Pro Prospect

Post#156 » by Curns13 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:38 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
Curns13 wrote:

I'm all in on Ingles with you dude.

Honestly, after watching the Aussie national team during the olympics, I am pretty much a fan of all Aussie NBA players. Those dudes play basketball like men. Not afraid to get a bit dirty either. Patty Mills, Aron Baynes, Ingles, Matt D, all guys i'd want as Nets for how they approach the game.

Yeah they would all put the Grit in #BrooklynGrit. Lots of proud Aussies after their performance. They deserved the bronze medal, we were absolutely robbed by the refs against Spain. Look out in 2020. Delly, Mills, Ingles, Simmons, Maker, Baynes, Exum and grizzled vets Bogut who has 5 chances to take someone out each game. Should be a medal there.
Curns13
Pro Prospect

Post#157 » by Curns13 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:41 am

Prokorov wrote:i like ingles, but he is one of those tough inbetween contracts like 12-16 million where he eats your cap but doesnt have a huge impact. id rather drastically overpay a better player then to give him what he is worth. I dont think we can afford to give out any more 10-15M contracts to role guys unless its 1+1 deals

He is one of those guys, but unlike all the power forwards people keep suggesting, he would fill a real position of need. If we got no one else he would immediately be our best wing (Levert will get there soon enough) and at $12M could start next year, maybe the year after and then come off the bench until he is an expiring.
jbeachboy
Assistant Coach
And1: 359

Post#158 » by jbeachboy » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:12 am

12 million for joe ingles makes me sick.
Curns13
Pro Prospect

Post#159 » by Curns13 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:11 am

jbeachboy wrote:12 million for joe ingles makes me sick.

That is the new NBA. $12M today is the same as $8M 3 years ago.
GoodDayLa
Junior
And1: 45

Post#160 » by GoodDayLa » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:25 am

Nets should get Serge Ibaka at PF, Patty Mills as 6th man/backupPG and whatever else to fill starting SF after moving Levert to the 2.

Return to Brooklyn Nets