ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Brook Lopez Thread

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Re: Official Brook Lopez Thread 

Post#801 » by Paradise » Tue Aug 5, 2014 9:44 am

MGrand15 wrote:Just so we're clear on the expectations for Brook. Him "faltering" and "cracking" in the latter games still had him at:

26 points, 11 boards, 4 blocks, 2 steals, 2 assists - Game 4
28 points, 10 boards, 2 assists - Game 5
17 points, 3 boards, 2 blocks, 2 steals, 2 assists - Game 6
21 points, 9 boards, 2 blocks, 1 steal - Game 7

While being double and triple teamed consistently and playing along side 2 players that the Bulls consistently ignored. If he can fail and crack like that this year, I'll take it. He wasn't the reason we lost, not even in the top 5.

And it was his first playoff series. Compare that to the likes of John Wall, Bradley Beal, Kemba Walker, DeMar DeRozan and other first time playoff performers and they don't come close to what Lopez did in that series. We lost that series due to no defense,no role players and a predictable offense.

Sent from my LGMS659 using Tapatalk
De8
Junior
And1: 54

Post#802 » by De8 » Tue Aug 5, 2014 10:05 am

Paradise wrote:
MGrand15 wrote:Just so we're clear on the expectations for Brook. Him "faltering" and "cracking" in the latter games still had him at:

While being double and triple teamed consistently and playing along side 2 players that the Bulls consistently ignored. If he can fail and crack like that this year, I'll take it. He wasn't the reason we lost, not even in the top 5.

And it was his first playoff series. Compare that to the likes of John Wall, Bradley Beal, Kemba Walker, DeMar DeRozan and other first time playoff performers and they don't come close to what Lopez did in that series. We lost that series due to no defense,no role players and a predictable offense.

but the general board told me we lost because nate rob dropped 40 on dwill every single game
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,844

Post#803 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Aug 5, 2014 10:14 am

He was outplayed severely in Game 7 by Noah. Didn't want any parts of him. But the numbers look nice I suppose.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Paradise

Post#804 » by Paradise » Tue Aug 5, 2014 10:56 am

De8 wrote:
Paradise wrote:

but the general board told me we lost because nate rob dropped 40 on dwill every single game

The general board is pathetic. That entire section has the IQ of a baby panda. Robinson had a pedestrian series except for Game 4.

Game 1: 17 points
Game 2: 11 points
Game 3: 7 points
Game 4: 34 points
Game 5: 20 points
Game 6: 18 points
Game 7: 12 points

It amazes me people overlook how badly Carlos Boozer torched Reggie or how badly Butler and Bellineli outplayed Johnson on both ends in that series.
Bro Johnson
Banned User
And1: 330

Post#805 » by Bro Johnson » Tue Aug 5, 2014 11:10 am

Paradise wrote:
De8 wrote:
Paradise wrote:

The general board is pathetic. That entire section has the IQ of a baby panda. Robinson had a pedestrian series except for Game 4.

It amazes me people overlook how badly Carlos Boozer torched Reggie or how badly Butler and Bellineli outplayed Johnson on both ends in that series.

Johnson was playing on one leg at that point so I give him a bit of a pass... If anything he deserves credit for not being a drama queen a la Noah and building his injury in as an excuse in case the team lost / he didn't play well.

The pick-and-roll defense on the other hand, which was the combination of Deron / Watson and the bigs was completely inexcusable... I can't even blame PJ for that because at some point you have to realize that a pick and roll is not rocket science and you've only seen it 1.3 million times before...
jeff1624
RealGM
And1: 1,068

Post#806 » by jeff1624 » Tue Aug 5, 2014 4:08 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:

He was outplayed severely in Game 7 by Noah. Didn't want any parts of him. But the numbers look nice I suppose.

And Lopez outplayed him 5 out of 7 games. But the 7th game was the only important one apparently.
Dat Leadership
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#807 » by MGrand15 » Tue Aug 5, 2014 5:16 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:

Noah's a REALLY good player. It happens. I'm not arguing that Lopez outplayed Noah (even if he did for a couple of games). Just saying if him averaging 20+ and 9+ boards is proof of him faltering and cracking under pressure - I'd be happy to take that with our team. He shouldn't be option 1 or our anchor on offense. If Mason improves a bit, KG stays at a similar level to last year - Lopez playing well is a luxury.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#808 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Aug 5, 2014 5:28 pm

jeff1624 wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

And Lopez outplayed him 5 out of 7 games. But the 7th game was the only important one apparently.

Do you want to give Brook a cookie?

jbeachboy
Assistant Coach
And1: 359

Post#809 » by jbeachboy » Tue Aug 5, 2014 7:28 pm

can we all agree if lopez gets another season ending foot surgery his career is done or close to it?
treiz
RealGM
And1: 564

Post#810 » by treiz » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:25 am

jeff1624 wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

Doesn't get much more important than game 7, not to take any credit away from Brook but we needed him there.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#811 » by Prokorov » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:41 pm

Paradise wrote:

Lopez is, has been, and always will be a guy whose impact is nowhere near his stat line. Anyone with a pair of eyes could see that noah absolutely dominated him in game 7.

Also, brook was never triple teamed, and certainly wasnt "doubled constantly". at times? sure. but certainly not constantly. brook wasnt able to match the intensity of noah and it showed, especially in game 7 where noah clearly rattled him.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#812 » by Prokorov » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:44 pm

Paradise wrote:
De8 wrote:
Paradise wrote:

1) thats WAY too much production from nate robinson even if you remove game 4. the guy is a bench/role player. whats worse, MARQUIS FREAKING TEAGUE was getting major minutes, and dwill couldnt abuse him and we couldnt take advantage of it. puh-the-tic

2) Boozer? What did boozer do besides hit a few mid range jumpers and do his usually solid work on the glass?

Joe Johnson was hurt/disappointment. Lopez and Dwill were enormous disappointments. we lost because our 3 best players were trash most of the series
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#813 » by Prokorov » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:45 pm

Bro Johnson wrote:
The pick-and-roll defense on the other hand, which was the combination of Deron / Watson and the bigs was completely inexcusable... I can't even blame PJ for that because at some point you have to realize that a pick and roll is not rocket science and you've only seen it 1.3 million times before...

it is kind of PJs fault though. he knows who he has on the floor and he knows that dwill/CJ/Lopez are all poor to terrible pick and roll defenders. he needed to either change how they played it or mix up the lineups or adjust somehow.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#814 » by Prokorov » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:47 pm

jeff1624 wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

no he didnt. games arent played on paper. its more then just points in the boxscore. noah had an enormous effect in that serious beyond points. he outplayed lopez for the series, and did so in a major way
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#815 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:50 pm

Prokorov wrote:
Paradise wrote:

Lopez is, has been, and always will be a guy whose impact is nowhere near his stat line. Anyone with a pair of eyes could see that noah absolutely dominated him in game 7.

Also, brook was never triple teamed, and certainly wasnt "doubled constantly". at times? sure. but certainly not constantly. brook wasnt able to match the intensity of noah and it showed, especially in game 7 where noah clearly rattled him.

Yeah, Brook was clearly intimidated by the guy. It was bad overall the way he and D-Will got dominated in their match ups

Prokorov
RealGM

Post#816 » by Prokorov » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:14 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
Paradise wrote:

Yeah, Brook was clearly intimidated by the guy. It was bad overall the way he and D-Will got dominated in their match ups

I dont think dwill got dominated, i think moreso it was just an embarassment that he didnt dominant teague/hinrich/robinson.

lopez did some work on offense, but overall id agree that noah kind of destroyed him, especially in the most critical points of that series.
jeff1624
RealGM
And1: 1,068

Post#817 » by jeff1624 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:32 pm

Prokorov wrote:
jeff1624 wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

no he didnt. games arent played on paper. its more then just points in the boxscore. noah had an enormous effect in that serious beyond points. he outplayed lopez for the series, and did so in a major way

In what way? Lopez DESTROYED him in 5 games. Noah couldn't guard him one on one and was helped out tremendously by a secondary defender AND Carlesimos inability to make adjustments. Noah had TWO games where he scored 5 points combined. He was a -21 for the entire series.

Lopez shot the ball better and outproduced Noah pretty handily (TS%, PER, TOV%, ORTG, DRTG, WS, BLK%, etc). In the 7th game (the one people point to as Lopez's worst game) he shot 45% from the field, the same field goal percentage Noah shot the entire series. Lopez was also a +36. If you're counting at home that's a 57 point differential between Lopez and Noah.

I get it. You dislike Lopez's game. You rather have a defensive center. You rather have a guy that shows more emotion and gets into it with opponents. That's fine. It's your prerogative. But it's disappointing to see Nets fans unjustly hate the guy and minimize his abilities. BULLS fans give Lopez more credit in that series than Nets fans and that says a lot. As a guy that routinely gets underrated because his game isn't flashy enough you'd think at least Nets fans would appreciate his strengths as a NBA player. The guy that played the best on the entire team during that series routinely gets called the reason we lost. Joe Johnson shoots 2-14 in game 7 and no one EVER brings that up. He got outplayed by Belinelli on more that one occasion which is inexcusable as well. Mirza, our best shooter, only saw ONE minute of playing time in a series that saw all of the role players crap the bed. Wallace and Evans, enough said on both of those guys' minutes in that series. You have Thibs playing competitive chess and you have Carlesimo playing tic tac toe by himself (and still losing). We probably get swept without Lopez and yes, he was MUCH better than Noah in that series despite your not wanting to include box score and stats because it disproves this inane notion that Noah had a better series.
Dat Leadership
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#818 » by Prokorov » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:40 pm

jeff1624 wrote:
In what way? Lopez DESTROYED him in 5 games. Noah couldn't guard him one on one and was helped out tremendously by a secondary defender AND Carlesimos inability to make adjustments. Noah had TWO games where he scored 5 points combined. He was a -21 for the entire series.

lopez didnt destroy him in any games, let alone 5. and noah gaurded him just fine, and visibly intimadated him throughout the series. the game is more then scoring, and noah isnt a scorer. thus him having a couple low scoring games is irrelevant. +/- is also a team stat, not an individual one, and is also complete irrlevant in a short series where 1 blowout can significantly skew the number. i

Lopez shot the ball better and outproduced Noah pretty handily (TS%, PER, TOV%, ORTG, DRTG, WS, BLK%, etc). In the 7th game (the one people point to as Lopez's worst game) he shot 45% from the field, the same field goal percentage Noah shot the entire series. Lopez was also a +36. If you're counting at home that's a 57 point differential between Lopez and Noah.

again, im glad on paper lopez looked good, unfortunetly that wasnt the case on the court, and unfortunetly thats why we lost. because lopez impact was nowhere near his numbers. shooting percentage doesnt matter, results do. noah shooting 33% on a series where he misses 2 shots, but gets 2 offensive rebounds, eventually scores, and then screams at lopez causing him to check out has a much bigger impact then had noah just made the initial shot. watch the first 6 minutes of game 7, that was the series in a nutshell. noah throwing his body around, destroying the offensive glass, and forcing brook to take 6 foot weak floaters instead of going hard to the rim.

you cant go by FG percentages and advanced stats in a 7 game series. they just dont bear out and dont tell the story. Noah was clearly the MVP of that series and clearly outplayed lopez. and clearly why the bulls won.
Paradise

Post#819 » by Paradise » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:40 pm

Prokorov wrote:lopez didnt destroy him in any games, let alone 5. and noah gaurded him just fine, and visibly intimadated him throughout the series.

That's complete nonsense.

Lopez: 22.3 pts, 7.4 rebs, 1.4 asts, 3.0 blks, .544 TS% - 25.21 PER & 113 ORTG/104 DRTG

Noah: 10.3 pts, 9.6 rebs, 2.3 asts, 2.2 blks - .476 TS% - 16.7 PER & 102 ORTG/106 DRTG.

Noah was outplayed in the series and there is no way to argue around that fact. You do this every single time. Noah only had one quality game in that series.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#820 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:26 pm

jeff1624 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
jeff1624 wrote:

I get it. You dislike Lopez's game. You rather have a defensive center. You rather have a guy that shows more emotion and gets into it with opponents. That's fine. It's your prerogative. But it's disappointing to see Nets fans unjustly hate the guy and minimize his abilities. BULLS fans give Lopez more credit in that series than Nets fans and that says a lot. As a guy that routinely gets underrated because his game isn't flashy enough you'd think at least Nets fans would appreciate his strengths as a NBA player. The guy that played the best on the entire team during that series routinely gets called the reason we lost. Joe Johnson shoots 2-14 in game 7 and no one EVER brings that up. He got outplayed by Belinelli on more that one occasion which is inexcusable as well. Mirza, our best shooter, only saw ONE minute of playing time in a series that saw all of the role players crap the bed. Wallace and Evans, enough said on both of those guys' minutes in that series. You have Thibs playing competitive chess and you have Carlesimo playing tic tac toe by himself (and still losing). We probably get swept without Lopez and yes, he was MUCH better than Noah in that series despite your not wanting to include box score and stats because it disproves this inane notion that Noah had a better series.

Johnson was playing injured in that series, clearly his play last year in that series compared to what he did in two playoff rounds lends credence to that fact, so no one blames Joe.

Lopez got outplayed flat out in the series deciding game. To me, that's what says the most. He was clearly intimidated to the point where he didn't even want anything to do with the ball once the pressure ramped up.

I like Brook, but between his injuries(not his fault) and his lack of aggression(his fault), he needs to bring more to the table considering he's on a max deal. I'm not afraid to say that he got punked by Noah. The coaching staff should show him footage of Game 7 and tell him that this is what we don't want to see from him.

Return to Brooklyn Nets