ImageImageImageImageImage

Why Teletovic should start for Brooklyn

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

serp
Senior
And1: 57

Re: Why Teletovic should start for Brooklyn 

Post#61 » by serp » Sat Feb 2, 2013 9:43 pm

I'd rather start old Vael than seeing another minute of Evans/Humphries in their current form.
Especially Humphries just makes me sick . Evans at least tries , he's just inept.

Humphries on the other hand has just returned to the Hump that never got any kind of consistent minutes on his teams and got traded 3 times in 4 years.

He's become Hero-Hump again . Last year and the year before Avery got him to take easy shots within the offense ( us beeing awful helped with that though ) and not try to get 1-1's , clumsy post-ups or early shotclock midrange jumpers.

Right now we're using 2 energy big that don't bring any energy to the team . If Tele sucks but tries so be it thats more than Hump/Evans bring to the table. If you'd rather have an upgrade well too bad our assets suck balls so getting one is going to be extremely hard.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,432

Post#62 » by vincecarter4pres » Sat Feb 2, 2013 9:56 pm

Jersey Generals wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:Who would have thought for the first time since the first year I joined this site I've put two people on my ignore list and both would come from the Nets board?

Isn't this Force? I thought it was.

Oh hell no that isn't Force.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
N Ireland Nets
Lead Assistant
And1: 276

Post#63 » by N Ireland Nets » Sun Feb 3, 2013 6:52 pm

I encourage people to have a read of this article on Teletovic on The Brooklyn Game written by Max Weisberg with contributions from Devin Kharpertian. Statistical support for this story provided by NBA.com.

http://thebrooklyngame.com/mirza-teletovic-brooklyn-nets-power-forward-freemirza/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

It’s becoming more and more evident that a change at the four-spot must be made. Currently, Nets coach P.J. Carlesimo has been sticking with 11-year veteran, Reggie Evans; a lifelong bench player whose ability to rebound and go after a loose ball is arguably unmatched in today’s NBA.

Reggie Evans is not a bad player; he is valuable, and simply fits better with the Nets' second unit. What many people often confuse is the idea that the Nets need a “starting caliber PF,” when in fact they don’t. They need a PF that plays well with the starters, whether or not he is a starting caliber PF in the NBA is essentially meaningless.

Over the last four games before Friday night, the Nets averaged 15.7 turnovers per game. Their season average is 13.8 per game, which slots them as the 9th best team in that department. In the last two third quarters vs. the Miami Heat, the Nets have turned the ball over 14 times. Seven of those 14 belong to Deron Williams. Twelve of those 14 belong to Joe Johnson, Deron Williams or Brook Lopez while the other two were committed by none other than Reggie Evans. But why? Why so many turnovers?

The turnover problem is result of floor congestion, in lack of floor spacing. When Reggie Evans plays with the starting unit, there is very little for him to do on the offensive end other than set screens. This then allows for opposing teams to double team the Nets’ “big three” in an effort to force the ball out of their hands. Below is a compilation of every Nets turnover in the third quarter against the Miami Heat on Wednesday night:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuKumFSA0Zc&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

6 of the 8 turnovers the Nets had in that quarter were the result of double-teams on one of the Nets’ big three. (The other two turnovers were simply careless.)

You can complain about the Nets' lack of defense in this game (rightfully), but defense leads to offense. In this case, the Nets turning the ball over leads to points for the Heat. The Heat scored 12 points off of the Nets' 8 turnovers that quarter.

The answer to this problem does not lie within a trade (or at least not yet). The answer is Mirza Teletovic.

With a Nets starting unit that carries three players that opposing teams want to double almost every time they try to go one-on-one, Teletovic can space the floor, knock down open threes, and most importantly draw defensive pressure. Not only do I believe that Mirza may alleviate the chronic turnover problem, but the astounding numbers certainly back up the thought that Mirza playing with the starting unit will work.

With Teletovic in the game, the Nets turn the ball over the least. The margin is actually quite wide. With Mirza in the game, they turn it over just 14% of the time as opposed to 16% with him out of the game. The next best player on the Nets in this category is Brook Lopez, the Nets turn it over 15% of the time with him in as opposed to 16.6% of the time with him out.

In fact, when Lopez & Teletovic play together, the team turns it over just 9% of the time; the least of any two-man combo.

When Lopez has played with Teletovic this season (46 minutes), he has turned it over ZERO(!) times. When he has played with Blatche, Evans or Humphries he turns it over an average of .072 times per minute (.062 TO’s/min. for the season). When Lopez plays with Teletovic, his FG% is 82.4% (!). When he plays with Evans, it’s 50.2%, with Blatche, it’s 45.8%, and with Humphries, it’s 52.7%.

When Joe Johnson plays with Teletovic, he turns it over just .026 times per minute compared to an average of .046 with Blatche, Reggie, or Humphries. In fact, he turns the ball over exactly twice as much per minute when he’s playing with Humphries (.052) rather than Teletovic (.026).

For Deron Williams, the same trend continues. Even though his turnovers are actually highest with Teletovic on the court (76 minutes), his other numbers are astonishing. With Mirza on the court he shoots 48% FG, 45.5% from three, and is a +19 in plus/minus. With Evans, he shoots 37.4% FG, 31.9% from three, and is a -68(!). With Blatche, he shoots 39.1% FG, 28.2% from three, and is a -45. With Humphries, he shoots 47.7% FG, 38.5% from three, and is a +28.

The numbers don’t lie here. The biggest difference between the four PF’s is simply floor spacing and keeping the defense honest. Here’s a video from the Heat game of when Teletovic and Williams were on the floor together. We can see Deron driving to the hoop, one-on-one with Shane Battier and finishing an and-1. You can also see Teletovic’s man unable to double Deron or help on the drive because he needs to stay home on the shooter.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBBVo2w__PA&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

The numbers and tape speak for themselves. I'm not sure if Mirza is a long-term solution for the starting PF, but what we do know is that a change must be made and there’s only one way to find out if it works. Let’s just hope it’s sooner rather than later.
N Ireland Nets
Lead Assistant

Post#64 » by N Ireland Nets » Sun Feb 3, 2013 6:55 pm

Queue DWillzOfTheGodz, "zomg he can't defend or rebound"
DWILLoftheGODZ
Banned User
And1: 32

Post#65 » by DWILLoftheGODZ » Sun Feb 3, 2013 8:33 pm

N Ireland Nets wrote:Queue DWillzOfTheGodz, "zomg he can't defend or rebound"

Those tend to be important things in basketball.

I just burned Max Weisberg in your above post. He lasted about 2 posts before using the "adjusting" excuse for Mirza.
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,083

Post#66 » by therealbig3 » Sun Feb 3, 2013 8:41 pm

DWILLoftheGODZ wrote:

I just burned Max Weisberg in your above post. He lasted about 2 posts before using the "adjusting" excuse for Mirza.

LMAO, all you did was make yourself look a fool. :lol:

And a huge hypocrite btw. You rant about how Mirza's only played 46 minutes and how the sample size is too small and how context is important and how he's cherry-picking stats...but that's literally all you've done here. You found two stats in Mirza's limited playing time that agree with you, and that's all you've been using to hate on Mirza. You constantly ignore how little playing time he's gotten when people bring it up. But now that other stats don't agree with you, sample size and context are important?

You're a straight up clown dude.
N Ireland Nets
Lead Assistant

Post#67 » by N Ireland Nets » Sun Feb 3, 2013 8:46 pm

DWILLoftheGODZ wrote:

You sure showed him!!!
DWILLoftheGODZ
Banned User

Post#68 » by DWILLoftheGODZ » Sun Feb 3, 2013 9:25 pm

therealbig3 wrote:
DWILLoftheGODZ wrote:

LMAO, all you did was make yourself look a fool. :lol:

And a huge hypocrite btw. You rant about how Mirza's only played 46 minutes and how the sample size is too small and how context is important and how he's cherry-picking stats...but that's literally all you've done here. You found two stats in Mirza's limited playing time that agree with you, and that's all you've been using to hate on Mirza. You constantly ignore how little playing time he's gotten when people bring it up. But now that other stats don't agree with you, sample size and context are important?

You're a straight up clown dude.

OH NO ANONYMOUS TOUGH GUY TALK.

First off the author of that piece is using a 46 minute sample size to justify starting Mirza. Im using his full season as justification for why he sucks.

And your the clown because at least I have the 26 games Mirza has played in to base why he sucks. Your using your imagination to base why he is good.
Antti22
Senior
And1: 233

Post#69 » by Antti22 » Sun Feb 3, 2013 10:35 pm

This is very much offtopic, sorry.

DWILLoftheGODZ, how and why did you get on this board? Ive been reading this board for over 5 years and you are for sure the most annoying thing ever to happen to this board. I have noticed a few of your post before on NetsDaily, and was happy you are not part of this group here. Why on earth did you get here as well? Im not a frequent poster, more of a reader, but I just had to ask.

To get back on topic:
NIN, great analysis and post, I have to agree on most things you pointed out. And to add to that, I gotta say that Mirza has the potential of becoming a true fan favourite in the Nets community if he gets his chanches. I totally understand his difficulties in the start of the year, when he just could not adapt to the NBA game. Its not really uncommon for a guy who has playing a long time in Europe to struggle early on in the NBA. Those 2 games are very different and thats why, I, as European, love to watch the NBA, but not really into European basketball :) . I dare for you to find an European player, who has played in Euroleague competition for many years and then has contributed in a big way straight from game 1 in the NBA. I think its not possible :) . But by this moment, you can tell from Mirza body language and movement on the court that he has started to adapt and get ready to contribute in more ways then just spot-up shoot.
DWILLoftheGODZ
Banned User

Post#70 » by DWILLoftheGODZ » Sun Feb 3, 2013 10:51 pm

Antti22 wrote:This is very much offtopic, sorry.

DWILLoftheGODZ, how and why did you get on this board? Ive been reading this board for over 5 years and you are for sure the most annoying thing ever to happen to this board. I have noticed a few of your post before on NetsDaily, and was happy you are not part of this group here. Why on earth did you get here as well? Im not a frequent poster, more of a reader, but I just had to ask.

To get back on topic:
NIN, great analysis and post, I have to agree on most things you pointed out. And to add to that, I gotta say that Mirza has the potential of becoming a true fan favourite in the Nets community if he gets his chanches. I totally understand his difficulties in the start of the year, when he just could not adapt to the NBA game. Its not really uncommon for a guy who has playing a long time in Europe to struggle early on in the NBA. Those 2 games are very different and thats why, I, as European, love to watch the NBA, but not really into European basketball :) . I dare for you to find an European player, who has played in Euroleague competition for many years and then has contributed in a big way straight from game 1 in the NBA. I think its not possible :) . But by this moment, you can tell from Mirza body language and movement on the court that he has started to adapt and get ready to contribute in more ways then just spot-up shoot.

I could care less what you think of me. You have your opinion, I have mine.

I find it funny though that all of you Europeans blindly support Teletovic when he has been awful. Ive seen just about every excuse imaginable used for him

- He is adjusting
- He needs to lose weight
- It was Avery's fault. PJ knows he is good.
- PJ hates Mirza (One week later)
- He needs to play with the starters
- You cant judge a player after 20 games, 40 games, a season

Its like you have made the decision that Tele is going to be great before letting his game decide your decision. Dont hate me for pointing out that he isnt living up to his contract.

If you were a real Nets fan you would be just as upset with him as Outlaw, Petro, Hump and all the other guys who didnt live up to their contracts. Nets wasted their MLE exception on a guy who cant crack one of the weakest PF rotations in the NBA.

It's not hard to find players who can do everything Tele does but better.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#71 » by Paradise » Sun Feb 3, 2013 11:53 pm

DWILLoftheGODZ wrote:

He had 5 rebounds in 6 minutes the last game he got PT...
Jaskosss
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#72 » by Jaskosss » Mon Feb 4, 2013 1:54 am

DWILLoftheGODZ wrote:
Antti22 wrote:This is very much offtopic, sorry.

To get back on topic:

I could care less what you think of me. You have your opinion, I have mine.

I find it funny though that all of you Europeans blindly support Teletovic when he has been awful. Ive seen just about every excuse imaginable used for him

- He is adjusting
- He needs to lose weight
- It was Avery's fault. PJ knows he is good.
- PJ hates Mirza (One week later)
- He needs to play with the starters
- You cant judge a player after 20 games, 40 games, a season

Its like you have made the decision that Tele is going to be great before letting his game decide your decision. Dont hate me for pointing out that he isnt living up to his contract.

If you were a real Nets fan you would be just as upset with him as Outlaw, Petro, Hump and all the other guys who didnt live up to their contracts. Nets wasted their MLE exception on a guy who cant crack one of the weakest PF rotations in the NBA.

It's not hard to find players who can do everything Tele does but better.

Don't like to say bad words to any1 but... you're just coming of as a whiny b!tch just by trying to prove your point and I think you're getting on every1s nerves by now.

Teletovic hasn't lived up to his contract? Offcourse he hasn't. He's hardly been used by Avery and PJ so how can he live up to the expectations as he isn't allowed to prove to any1 what he can be worth for the nets.

We just haven't seen enough of this guy to make a legit verdict. He had to adjust to the NBA in the beginning and many of us felt he had a breaktrough game a while back but the very next games he sees hardly any game time.
N Ireland Nets
Lead Assistant

Post#73 » by N Ireland Nets » Mon Feb 4, 2013 2:12 am

A small gif I made for a laugh

DWILLoftheGODZ
Banned User

Post#74 » by DWILLoftheGODZ » Mon Feb 4, 2013 2:13 am

''Jaskosss wrote:
Don't like to say bad words to any1 but... you're just coming of as a whiny b!tch just by trying to prove your point and I think you're getting on every1s nerves by now.

Teletovic hasn't lived up to his contract? Offcourse he hasn't. He's hardly been used by Avery and PJ so how can he live up to the expectations as he isn't allowed to prove to any1 what he can be worth for the nets.

We just haven't seen enough of this guy to make a legit verdict. He had to adjust to the NBA in the beginning and many of us felt he had a breaktrough game a while back but the very next games he sees hardly any game time.

Ive seen plenty from this guy. He is where he belongs; on the bench with the rest of the scrubs.

If refusing to go along with the deifying of a bust is getting on everyone's nerves your just gonna have to deal with it now arent you.
Jersey Generals
Lead Assistant
And1: 382

Post#75 » by Jersey Generals » Mon Feb 4, 2013 4:48 am

N Ireland Nets wrote:A small gif I made for a laugh

:lol: Nice.
_dreamer_
Freshman
And1: 45

Post#76 » by _dreamer_ » Mon Feb 4, 2013 12:04 pm

What amazes me is that no one from your press came with a straightforward question to PJ (maybe I missed something?). Someone should go and ask him why does Mirza play so little, especially after he showed in January that he is/can be a valuable member of the squad. It's really demotivating for a player to be treated like ****...
PetroNet
Banned User
And1: 136

Post#77 » by PetroNet » Mon Feb 4, 2013 4:24 pm

_dreamer_ wrote:What amazes me is that no one from your press came with a straightforward question to PJ (maybe I missed something?). Someone should go and ask him why does Mirza play so little, especially after he showed in January that he is/can be a valuable member of the squad. It's really demotivating for a player to be treated like ****...

because it isnt an enormously bad move and we have a bajillion bigger issues
Infinite Llamas
General Manager
And1: 21,311

Post#78 » by Infinite Llamas » Tue Feb 5, 2013 4:04 am

If I recall correctly, Humphries was a pretty effective offensive player last year. Nearly 50% shooting and 75% free throws on almost 5 trips a game. Similar to Vucevic's year this year. Only difference is that Humps stats were discredited for being on a bad team, but yet, Vucevic gets plenty of praise despite playing on a similarly bad team? Hump's jump shot was improved last year as well. He may of gotten stats on a bad team, but he still faced more defensive attention last year because NOBODy was guarding Petro, Jordan or Shelden Williams. After getting outdueled by Ilyasova the first time, he killed him the next time, scoring 31 points and getting Ilyasova into foul trouble. He had a couple monster games against the Heat (ironically, the last game against the Heat last year was closer than any of the revamped Nets stabs at the heat this year). He might miss some defensive rotations, but he also shows up for big games and can guard many of the power forwards, especially the ones in the east like West/Bosh/Amare/Boozer. The ones he struggles with are the quick ones like Ibaka and David Lee has caused him some headaches before.

Is it possible that he suffers from a lack of a role. When giving a role on offense, he can be a productive player, but it seems with the addition of Joe Johnson and the return of Lopez, he never had a defined role this year. Heck, from day one, there were rumors that Gerald Wallace would start at power forward against the Knicks on opening day. He seems to spend the majority of the time standing around or setting picks in pottential pick and roll opportunities. He doesn't have the best hands (sometimes trying to make the move before the ball is in his hands), but he could be an effective p&r player. They've tried him on some pick and pop plays, but he clearly has no confidence in his jumper now. Who can blame him? If he misses the shot, it means he's probably going to the bench due to his extremely short leash. His minutes are sporadic, his role is ill-defined. And this is all on top of a newly signed 12 million contract. Honestly, why didn't the Nets let him go? If they desire him to be a trading piece, I'd imagine his trade value is probably at an all-time low due to his inconsistent role.

Boston had the same problems with Bass this year. The main problem being that Bass has had an inconsistent role (and possesses hands of stone), and from day one, he's had Sullinger breathing down his neck. Sullinger was injured, and surprsingly, Bass has started to look better again. His minutes have stabalized and he's starting to contribute. How many contributions can be expected from Humphries palying 2 or 7 minutes in a game? I think the Nets mismanaged Humphries roll on the offensive end, especially after he proved capable last year: a 14/11 player when given 35 minutes. Evans may be a slightly better rebounder, but there's no way he should of stolen Humprhies minutes, given his inadequecies on offense. A Humprhies/teletovic duo at PF would be a lot more diverse in my opinion (granted, I am an outsider who only watches a handful of Nets games a year)
Gerald Green Loves LLamas!
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,083

Post#79 » by therealbig3 » Tue Feb 5, 2013 4:11 am

^I agree. Humphries should absolutely play over Evans. Evans doesn't really do anything better than Hump outside of maybe rebounding. Watching Evans start and play 25+ mpg has made me miss Humphries actually.

To be clear, Humphries isn't a great player, and he's probably best suited to be a bench big...but he's not really a scrub. He's not someone the defense can completely abandon so that they can start double-teaming whoever has the ball, so he's a massive upgrade over Evans in that respect. IMO, him and Evans both kind of suck defensively. They're dumb and slow. But Humphries at least contests shots at the rim.

Basically, imo, Humphries is a little less of a liability than Evans defensively, he's slightly worse on the glass, and he's way less of a liability on offense. Overall, he's clearly the superior player, and if starting Teletovic isn't an option, Humphries should be starting imo.
nycefnl
Pro Prospect
And1: 125

Post#80 » by nycefnl » Wed Feb 6, 2013 3:22 pm

the post should be a sticky....brilliant!!!

Return to Brooklyn Nets