Official Pierce & KG Thread

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Official Pierce & KG Thread 

Post#1 » by NyCeEvO » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:53 pm

We have an Brooklyn's Backcourt thread and a Brook Lopez thread.

I think it makes sense to have a thread for Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett. Like the other threads, we can use this to discuss their play during the season as well as their off-court comments (and maybe KG's on-court comments too lol).

I'd like to start off with this news:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/NYDNInterNets/status/368413387300294656[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/NYDNInterNets/status/368413663436500992[/tweet]
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Re: Official Pierce & KG Thread 

Post#2 » by NyCeEvO » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:26 pm

Looks like Kirilenko will definitely get his fair share of playing time.
DrazenForThree
Banned User
And1: 214

Post#3 » by DrazenForThree » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:34 pm

makes sense, as i mentioned in the original trade thread, limiting KG's games is more important then limiting his minutes. no back to backs puts him right in that 60-65 game range which is where he should be.
KiDdFrESh
General Manager
And1: 46

Post#4 » by KiDdFrESh » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:06 pm

Rockets fan here.

I loved this trade for the Nets. I'm gonna have to root for them out East cause I'm a huge Paul Pierce fan.

Best of luck this season and hopefully the Nets remain healthy and knock the Heat out of the playoffs! Can't stand them and I don't wanna see a 3peat!
DrazenForThree
Banned User
And1: 214

Post#5 » by DrazenForThree » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:35 pm

KiDdFrESh wrote:Rockets fan here.

I loved this trade for the Nets. I'm gonna have to root for them out East cause I'm a huge Paul Pierce fan.

Best of luck this season and hopefully the Nets remain healthy and knock the Heat out of the playoffs! Can't stand them and I don't wanna see a 3peat!

thanks! good luck to the rockets, although i cant say i'll be rooting for them as they have my 2nd and 3rd most hated players on their roster
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Post#6 » by NyCeEvO » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:50 pm

KiDdFrESh wrote:Rockets fan here.

I hope we do well too.

While we all know that Howard hasn't done the smartest things over the past few years, I think he's gotten a worse rap than he actually deserves. I actually want him to repair his image and get back in the good graces of the league and its fans. I think it's kinda sad that a lot of people root for him to fail.

Anyways, good luck on the season!
CeltsfanNLA
Sophomore
And1: 113

Post#7 » by CeltsfanNLA » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:36 pm

My boy PP has been given love on this board and deservedly so but damn. You guys got both of them. Kevin Garnett is one of the best defenders this game has ever seen hands down. Your team is stacked. Brook Lopez is going to be alot more free out there now and probly gonna improve on defense because KG's intensity is going to rub off. I will always be a Celtic fan but the team I am most excited to watch is this team. I know my boys are old and people been sayin it for quite some time now but they are deffinitely going to make a difference. I almost cried when I heard the news but im glad they are together and im glad they have some young guns at their back now. Kill carmelo and his weak ass Knicks please and enjoy these 2 playerss. They have more heart then any others I have seen in this era
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#8 » by Paradise » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:56 pm

#NetsVIllage is the nickname proclaimed by PP.

"It's going to be what it was (a rivalry), but now on steroids," Pierce told Life and Times Magazine. "This is a city battle. We're going to divide the city now. Before this was a Knicks town, but now that I'm here we're going to call it, ‘Nets Village.'"It's going from Knicks Town to Nets Village. It's our time."

Another interview with Pierce

Have you walked the streets of New York yet?

Oh yeah. I love walking the streets of New York.

They don't give you any ****?

It's all love.

It's been all love here. The fans of New York are very knowledgeable about the game of basketball. They love their sports here. It's definitely respect. Now that I'm a part of this, it's so much love, just when I'm riding in the car with my window down and all I hear is "Brooklyn!" "Okay, thank definitely a great passion in this city for basketball.

So, is it weird playing for Jason Kidd? You've been battling him all these years.

It's gonna be kinda because we kinda grew up playing against each other all these years when he was on the Nets and the Knicks last season. But you know I have so much respect for him. I've known Jason since I've been in the NBA and I think he's just a natural born leader. He's just a natural born leader. And I think he commands a lot of respect. I think it's gonna be a mutual respect in that aspect. As we're both trying to win a championship.

Have you gotten a chance to talk to him yet?

Yeah, I talk to J all the time, man. We talk about how excited we are about the team and what he's gonna need from me and expect from me. I'm excited.

Do you hate the Knicks?

With a passion. Let's start it up right now. Let's start the beef. It's no secret that me and New York got history. It's no secret. This is no secret. It's already known.

The wheelchair?

I had a sprained MCL. It was proven, I know everybody likes to talk about it, but hey, check this out, people are never gonna forget it. [Laughs] I'm gonna be in a barbershop like "Remember he went down and everybody said he was faking—which I wasn't. Then he came down there and buried the Lakers?" That's gonna be the story in the barbershops.

You plan on helping Brooklyn steal the city?

Oh yeah. Right now it might be like 70-30 but we're gonna push that the other way.

Rest of it: http://www.complex.com/sports/2013/08/p ... -interview
exculpatory
RealGM
And1: 10,926

Post#9 » by exculpatory » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:34 pm

Great stuff!

I love Paul Pierce.

Give him 30+ minutes & he will give the Nets his 11th All Star season - even at 36!

He is incredibly unselfish. Gives every game exactly what it needs.
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.
Boarder Patrol
Head Coach
And1: 3,743

Post#10 » by Boarder Patrol » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:52 am

Two tough, gritty, never give up kind of guys.

Almost, almost wanted them to win when they made that comeback against The Knicks in game 6 last year. Almost.

Resting back to backs seems right for KG. I wonder if any games vs. Miami or NY are the tail end of back to backs, and if he'll play them. For sure he would, IMO.

Best trade in...well..it's unfair but I think the Harden trade was better, but a brilliant trade nonetheless.
Paradise

Post#11 » by Paradise » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:39 pm

Pierce confirms he wanted to be traded here.

Pierce acknowledged there was truth to a Globe report that he told his family to begin packing once the Celtics were eliminated from the playoffs by the Knicks in early May.

“Even before the end of the season I knew there was a chance I might not be here,” Pierce said. “So you guys [family] have to start preparing for that. We can’t start looking at schools later, this could be it out here.”

There had been speculation that if the Celtics did not honor the option on Pierce’s contract, he would have immediately sign with the Clippers. But the Celtics did honor the option to facilitate the trade to Brooklyn.

“There was only like three [teams] maybe I wanted to go to, and [Brooklyn] was one of them,” he said. “This gives me pretty much everything I’m looking for in the last few years of my career. I get a chance to play in a big market. I get a chance to try to win a championship. A big city. I never experienced a big city like that, that’s a whole other animal. I am going to embrace it. That’s what I have been trying to do, spending time in New York, walking in the streets, doing the appearances, getting to know the community. I’ve got to start embracing it.”

Pierce has wasted little time in instigating the Knicks-Nets rivalry. With the emergence of the Nets under owner Mikhail Prokhorov, they have attempted to snatch the city’s attention from the long-suffering Knicks, who have not won a championship in 40 years. Pierce’s years with the Celtics familiarized him with despising the Knicks.

“Brooklyn, they love me for the simple fact they hate the Knicks and they know how much I hate the Knicks,” he said. “So it’s like an enemy of theirs is a friend of ours. That’s what I am getting out there. It’s definitely exciting. They’re already talking about the crosstown rivalry. They love sports just as much out there as they do [in Boston]. That’s a sports animal. They live on it.”

Pierce said he will assess his future on a yearly basis, but he has one particular motivation left.

“My goal is to outlast [Tim] Duncan, Kobe [Bryant], Dirk [Nowitzki], and KG, this is what’s left of that generation,” he said. “I’m looking at all of them. We all are kind of in the same boat where [retirement] can happen in the next year or two. Vince [Carter] is in there. He’s still playing. They still look strong, so I want to continue to look strong.”

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2013/ ... aign=sm_tw
Boarder Patrol
Head Coach

Post#12 » by Boarder Patrol » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:10 pm

So many stars from that era had such great longevity. It's insane.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Post#13 » by NyCeEvO » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:54 pm

Boarder Patrol wrote:So many stars from that era had such great longevity. It's insane.

Yeah, I liked that last section where he mentioned that he wanted to outlast Kobe, KG, Dirk and TD.

Kobe seems like he wants to play for another 3-4 years so I don't know if Pierce can outlast him lol.
Boarder Patrol
Head Coach

Post#14 » by Boarder Patrol » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:36 pm

NyCeEvO wrote:
Boarder Patrol wrote:So many stars from that era had such great longevity. It's insane.

Yeah, I liked that last section where he mentioned that he wanted to outlast Kobe, KG, Dirk and TD.

Kobe seems like he wants to play for another 3-4 years so I don't know if Pierce can outlast him lol.

Pierce seems like he can go for a while more but Kobe is a borderline sociopath so if he wants to outlast him, he will :lol:
DJ Pauly P
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#15 » by DJ Pauly P » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:54 pm

Not sure I can ever learn to like Pierce or KG... Pierce more so than KG, but KG really indulged in his fair share of d-bagggery these last few years.
liveod
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,082

Post#16 » by liveod » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:40 am

^Trust me, anyone who has KG on their team will learn to love the guy.
Celtics_Champs wrote:Abby Chin always looks good. She blocked me on Twitter and to this day I have no idea and I never said anything to her. One day I will see her on sidelines and ask her why oh why.
KGboss
RealGM
And1: 10,097

Post#17 » by KGboss » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:18 pm

You guys got 2 killers. I will enjoy taking the ferry across the sound this year to watch the nets play as often as possible as I am currently living in southern CT.

Going to be an exciting season for you guys.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,572

Post#18 » by Rich Rane » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:37 pm

"I just look at him as a bitter person just getting out of Boston. He doesn't really know what New York is all about. He's been playing in Boston his whole career," [J.R.] Smith told ESPN New York on Saturday.

Smith, speaking without anger in his voice, added: "He just knows, just know that his words have consequences and he's going to have to pay for them."

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_ ... rce-bitter

What's he going to do, play defense? I wonder if Dolan asked him to say all this stuff after that meeting with Stern.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Post#19 » by NyCeEvO » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:01 pm

I'd rather have Pierce's words than JR Smith's actions. You know...the kind that get you suspended for a game in the playoffs, reportedly have you going out to clubs and getting high during the playoffs and shooting 31.6 FG% /17.9% 3PT% in the 2012 playoffs and 33.1 FG% / 27.3% 3PT% in the 2013 playoffs.

Keep talking Paul...keep talking.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Paradise

Post#20 » by Paradise » Sun Sep 1, 2013 12:40 am

Rich Rane wrote:
"I just look at him as a bitter person just getting out of Boston. He doesn't really know what New York is all about. He's been playing in Boston his whole career," [J.R.] Smith told ESPN New York on Saturday.

Smith, speaking without anger in his voice, added: "He just knows, just know that his words have consequences and he's going to have to pay for them."

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_ ... rce-bitter

What's he going to do, play defense? I wonder if Dolan asked him to say all this stuff after that meeting with Stern.

Translation: Half of the Nets attendance came from Manhattan and New Jersey. Oh, and that doesn't include the Nets reach globally.

So, JR smith is clueless and doesn't know a damn thing about New York anything.

Return to Brooklyn Nets