Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,572

Re: Mason Plumlee 

Post#61 » by DarkXaero » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:19 am

therealbig3 wrote:
VCRJKidd15 wrote:lol at the cringe worthy 1st page

LOL, I was one of the posters hating on him too, pretty embarrassed about that now.

I've become a fan of the kid now, he's a really solid role player, and pretty clearly the best big man from his draft so far. MAYBE Dieng is better, but I haven't seen enough of him.

Plumlee needs to continue to work on his defensive IQ, but he's a decent defender at this point. Still gets lost on rotations a lot, but he makes up for it for the most part with his athleticism. He knows exactly what he is offensively though, and the things he does on offense are pretty insanely valuable when you have good perimeter play like we do...he's basically Tyson Chandler for us offensively, and Chandler is a super underrated offensive player imo. You don't need to be able to create your own shot to be a valuable offensive player.
I think Dieng could turn out to be better if he stays injury free and improves his offensive efficiency. I think if we had Dieng instead of Plumlee, Dieng would have had a similar impact for us. Dieng is a much better rebounder and a better defensive player. He's more skilled too offensively.

As for Plumlee, I think he's already better than Tyson offensively. He's already scoring at a higher rate than Chandler ever has in his career.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#62 » by Paradise » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:21 am

His passing is also underrated.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlUdKb82uuE[/youtube]

1.5 assists per 36 minutes for a rookie big man is pretty damn good. The last game he went without an assist was April 4th. He's been pretty consistent in that area.
jeff1624
RealGM
And1: 1,068

Post#63 » by jeff1624 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:31 am

Paradise wrote:His passing is also underrated.

1.5 assists per 36 minutes for a rookie big man is pretty damn good. The last game he went without an assist was April 4th. He's been pretty consistent in that area.

I think that's one area where he needs to drastically improve. He can't throw an entry pass to save his life.
Dat Leadership
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,745

Post#64 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:22 am

I would like Plumlee to develop some semblance of a jump shot, continue to improve on rebounding/defense, and to work on his shot blocking. He's more of a catch and finish/clean up style player so I'd worry about developing post moves after that. He's gonna score regardless.

That should be a good start. If he can hit the short J around the FT line that would be a huge improvement
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
KMartsCrew
Junior
And1: 217

Post#65 » by KMartsCrew » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:46 pm

therealbig3 wrote:He reminds me a lot of Kenyon Martin.

K-Mart was better defensively, but Plumlee is better offensively. Both of them play that athletic finisher role that thrives off good guard play, and bring a lot of energy.
They really are not much alike. I love Plumlee and unlike others I wanted us to draft him, but Martin was the more complete & vastly superior player, he even became an All-Star in his prime, a ceiling like that is out of reach for Plumlee, IMO. Martin was much better defensively, not just better. He was one of the top and most versatile defensive players in the league. There were a lot of nights where he would guard perimeter players by design. His defensive IQ and awareness were off the charts. I once saw him vehemently tell 4-time defensive player of the year Dikembe Mutombo where to be on a defensive possession. George Karl called him the quarterback of the Nuggets' defense. IMO Martin's biggest asset was his defensive game. You can't compare him to a player who's a below average defender like Plumlee. Kid's got a long ways to go on that end of the floor. Also, while Plumlee brings a big deal of energy, K-Mart's energy went beyond just playing hard, he also was the team's emotional leader, like Frank said. And how's Plumlee the better offensive player? He shoots a higher percentage because all of his attempts are literally at the rim and spoon-fed. Martin was far from a finesse player, but he had an offensive game aside from dunking and just merely finishing assisted baskets at the rim. He developed a decent jumper, could put the ball on the floor and attack the basket, and, while his back to the basket game wasn't very refined and he was by no means a go-to low-post scorer, you could throw the ball to thim downlow from time to time and he would do something positive here & there, nothing to write home about, but better than nothing. I don't see the comparison.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#66 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:55 pm

The only comparison IMO is he's the first athletic big that we have had in almost a decade that can run the floor and finish at the rim at an insane rate

I think with hard work and good tutelage he can develop into a stud. I'm all for the Nets working hard to make an all star out of this guy he has potential.

therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,094

Post#67 » by therealbig3 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:53 pm

andresb wrote:

K-Mart was better defensively, but Plumlee is better offensively. Both of them play that athletic finisher role that thrives off good guard play, and bring a lot of energy.
They really are not much alike. I love Plumlee and unlike others I wanted us to draft him, but Martin was the more complete & vastly superior player, he even became an All-Star in his prime, a ceiling like that is out of reach for Plumlee, IMO. Martin was much better defensively, not just better. He was one of the top and most versatile defensive players in the league. There were a lot of nights where he would guard perimeter players by design. His defensive IQ and awareness were off the charts. I once saw him vehemently tell 4-time defensive player of the year Dikembe Mutombo where to be on a defensive possession. George Karl called him the quarterback of the Nuggets' defense. IMO Martin's biggest asset was his defensive game. You can't compare him to a player who's a below average defender like Plumlee. Kid's got a long ways to go on that end of the floor. Also, while Plumlee brings a big deal of energy, K-Mart's energy went beyond just playing hard, he also was the team's emotional leader, like Frank said. And how's Plumlee the better offensive player? He shoots a higher percentage because all of his attempts are literally at the rim and spoon-fed. Martin was far from a finesse player, but he had an offensive game aside from dunking and just merely finishing assisted baskets at the rim. He developed a decent jumper, could put the ball on the floor and attack the basket, and, while his back to the basket game wasn't very refined and he was by no means a go-to low-post scorer, you could throw the ball to thim downlow from time to time and he would do something positive here & there, nothing to write home about, but better than nothing. I don't see the comparison.

I 100% agree about his defense, which is why I don't think Plumlee is all that close as an overall player...his athleticism, his chemistry with the team's guards, and the energy he brings compared to everyone else is what reminds me of K-Mart.

I disagree about Martin's offense, dude was pretty inefficient in his prime, despite mainly playing around the rim and playing with a great PG like Kidd. I don't think his back to the basket game was effective at all, and his jumper wasn't very good either. He TRIED to do a lot of things that Plumlee doesn't, but that doesn't mean he should have. Both of them are/were good at one thing: finishing at the rim. Plumlee sticks to only doing that, Martin didn't. I guess you could also argue that he was forced to, because we didn't have a lot of offensive talent on those teams, but it's those things he was forced to do that allowed him to put up the points and be an All-Star, even though he was probably better served just doing what Plumlee does. I think part of what makes Plumlee good is because he knows his limits on offense, he doesn't try to do things that he would be inefficient at.

IMO, if you're a big man who doesn't really have much skill on offense (I just don't think Martin was good enough to really be a "do it yourself" option on offense), I think the best way to contribute on offense is to be like Tyson Chandler, or on the flip side, be like an older KG or Duncan...they really aren't used as self-creators either at this point. They pass the ball well and they shoot the midrange J, and KG can't really do it anymore, but Duncan is also used as a finisher around the rim. You contribute in ways where you don't need the ball at all unless it's to finish a play, and I think Plumlee already does that almost as well as anyone. Tyson Chandler, imo, is one of the best offensive bigs in the game, no joke. It's insanely valuable to have a big that doesn't demand the ball at all, is a fantastic above the rim finisher, sets screens, makes passes, and crashes the offensive glass and retains possessions. He's not a guy who can create anything with the ball in his hands, but he's elite without it.
MaxZaslofskyJr
Rookie
And1: 669
Location: Teaneck, Long Island, Piscataway, Meadowlands, Newark, Brooklyn

Post#68 » by MaxZaslofskyJr » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:03 pm

andresb wrote:

They really are not much alike.

Couldn't agree more. I was worried earlier in the year that the Plumboy would be Josh Boone 2.0. I think that he's exceeded that modest benchmark but if I had to rate him closer to Boonie or Martin, I'd still say Boonie for now.
Les Selvage pioneered today's "modern basketball" in 1967.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#69 » by NyCeEvO » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:39 am

So what do you think Mason Plumlee is worth?

Not that I want the Nets to trade him asap, but I just want to know how valuable you guys think he is.
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#70 » by MGrand15 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:43 am

Paradise wrote:His passing is also underrated.

Eh, I think he's just okay in this area. Those 1.5 assists look good on paper but he gets a lot of passing responsibility when we run our corner offense. He's obviously not terrible but right now he can only make simple passes. Swings across the perimeter, entry passes into the post. He can't really hit cutters even if they're open (like AK or KG can) or hit open shooters from a distance. Which is OK. He understands his limitations and doesn't turn it over much - which is 90% of the battle with most guys.
Paradise

Post#71 » by Paradise » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:08 am

ESPN has Plumlee finishing 3rd in ROY voting behind MCW and Olapdio.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#72 » by Prokorov » Thu May 22, 2014 6:39 pm

All rookie first team.... Props to king and the Nets scouts for landing a top rookie with a late pick in a weak draft.
http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=15926

Every plumlee dunk this year:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bypBahsmBT0[/youtube]
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#73 » by MrDollarBills » Thu May 22, 2014 8:10 pm

Kudos to Mason, he should be proud of his campaign and I look forward to seeing what he adds to his game this summer.

Prokorov
RealGM

Post#74 » by Prokorov » Thu May 22, 2014 8:22 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:Kudos to Mason, he should be proud of his campaign and I look forward to seeing what he adds to his game this summer.

16-6 with him as a starter this year. I'm anxious to see what he can do next year. I hope he starts all year with K retiring and hopefully lopez being moved.

We were really good with him starting, i dont think we sacrafice the playoffs to start him, and him getting the starting role would be huge for his development.

His biggest flaw right now is defending without fouling. very correctable
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#75 » by MrDollarBills » Thu May 22, 2014 9:29 pm

Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:Kudos to Mason, he should be proud of his campaign and I look forward to seeing what he adds to his game this summer.

16-6 with him as a starter this year. I'm anxious to see what he can do next year. I hope he starts all year with K retiring and hopefully lopez being moved.

We were really good with him starting, i dont think we sacrafice the playoffs to start him, and him getting the starting role would be huge for his development.

His biggest flaw right now is defending without fouling. very correctable

If he can improve on defense and the glass, we've got a legit starter with him. He was shell shocked during the playoffs but that will help him to improve, and Kidd got excellent production from him for a rookie as raw as he is.

If we can get some shot blocking from him that would be plus. On offense all he has to do is catch and finish.

NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#76 » by NyCeEvO » Thu May 22, 2014 9:40 pm

I wonder what his trade value is. While his game is based largely upon athleticism, I don't think anyone can doubt that Kidd's system put him in a position to look as good as he did.

If I'm Billy King, I'd float his name out there just to see what other GMs think of him.

We did a pretty good job of hiding his weaknesses and maximizing his strengths so he usually looked pretty good out there. If you put him on a team that wants to play below the rim or doesn't look to share the ball, he's not going to have the same impact.
bobbyc
Sixth Man
And1: 138

Post#77 » by bobbyc » Thu May 22, 2014 9:44 pm

One of the best and most encouraging parts of this season was watching his development. He went from being seen as a bad pick to starter and possible ROY candidate.

One of the things I look forward to next season is seeing how he develops over the offseason.

I will say this about his playoff play. Usually rookies get tired at the end of the season and their production drops off. So, I write it off as him tired and being inexperienced. I don't think it is at all indicative for the rest of his career.

Part of me wishes KG retires, so we guarantee this kid minutes next year.
Paradise

Post#78 » by Paradise » Thu May 22, 2014 9:59 pm

I thought he wasn't a bad pick at all. I didn't expect him to become a Top 5 rookie but I'm very happy we came away with another hidden gem to show for this season. I think he hit the rookie wall during the playoffs and his inability to create his own offense or get respect from the refs made him invisable.

I think he can become a starter full-time and improve his game. All he needs to do is get stronger and learn some basic effective post moves.

Sent from my LGMS659 using Tapatalk
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#79 » by MrDollarBills » Fri May 23, 2014 12:33 am

Paradise wrote:I thought he wasn't a bad pick at all. I didn't expect him to become a Top 5 rookie but I'm very happy we came away with another hidden gem to show for this season. I think he hit the rookie wall during the playoffs and his inability to create his own offense or get respect from the refs made him invisable.

I think he can become a starter full-time and improve his game. All he needs to do is get stronger and learn some basic effective post moves.

Sent from my LGMS659 using Tapatalk

In Round 1, I thought that his lack of strength and inexperience doomed him. That was a bad match up in the middle for a rookie who wasn't used to playoff basketball plus was out muscled.

In round 2, it was the Heat. He wasn't going to be ready for that regardless.

Prokorov
RealGM

Post#80 » by Prokorov » Fri May 23, 2014 4:49 pm

NyCeEvO wrote:I wonder what his trade value is. While his game is based largely upon athleticism, I don't think anyone can doubt that Kidd's system put him in a position to look as good as he did.

If I'm Billy King, I'd float his name out there just to see what other GMs think of him.

We did a pretty good job of hiding his weaknesses and maximizing his strengths so he usually looked pretty good out there. If you put him on a team that wants to play below the rim or doesn't look to share the ball, he's not going to have the same impact.

Trade him? we need more players like plumlee, not less. a good ahtletic young kid on a rookie deal? he should be the only player on the team who is untouchable(unless its for like durant or a superstar, obviously)

as far as weaknesses, what did we hide? he cant defender without fouling, he is turnover prone, and he doesnt have much of a knack for creating his own offense. we saw all of that.

what team wants to play below the rim?!

Return to Brooklyn Nets